Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for not making my son give away his second prize?

They're right to defend Cameron winning both.

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My fiancé no longer wants to be married until I can prove my faith if genuine

quote:

I am F 34 and Fiancé is M 32. We started dating in February of 2023 and quickly realized that we wanted a future with each other. In January of 2024, he proposed to me and I was said yes because I love him just as he is and I would not change anything about him. We set a date for July 2024.

That being said, in February 2024, he was acting very distant as he has done in the past so I knew something was wrong. He said that it was a problem that I did not belong to his church and that it would eventually cause confusion for his daughter if I went to my church. I was already questioning if my church was the right one but I wanted to be sure before I converted to his. Unfortunately, he gave me an ultimatum: if you don't join my church, I cannot marry you. That did cause me to question what it was that was keeping me from joining and I ultimately decided that this was going to be the right decision for me and for our family, especially now that we would have the same faith and help his daughter grow her own faith (since he has 50% custody and mom does not currently have a faith).

He started to get excited about the wedding; we went to sign a contract for our reception (no money put down but just a signature); I had my bridesmaids buy their dresses; I purchased a photographer and scheduled our engagement session; I bought a wedding dress and sent it in for alterations.

Then, three days ago, (March 15) he said that he believes I only converted for him, that if he didn't give me the ultimatum, I wouldn't have converted, that he does not see me have passion to learn more about the faith, that I only am doing this because I want to get married so badly, and he believes that if we get married that I will change my mind and go back to my old church and try to take our future children away from our church that we go to now.

Basically, he wants to postpone the wedding until he can get over the anxiety and gut feeling he has about my faith. He believes if I start enquiring more about the faith that will help him not be nervous about marrying me.

Also, he still does not know if he wants children with me but that is a separate issue.

I don't know if I should continue in this relationship with the constant sick feeling in my stomach, and feeling of never being good enough. I am already divorced and it was my ex that lost interest and felt that I was not good enough to be his wife. My faith has always been the quality that I love the most about myself and to think that someone does not find it genuine, or that I would use it to tear my family apart is devastating.

TL;DR! - My fiancé postponed the wedding because he does not believe I converted for the right reasons. I feel as though I can stay in this relationship and hopefully show him that I do have passion and desire in learning more about the faith and helping him raise his daughter physically and spiritually.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure what answer he could have given. If he said "your sister is a 10", she could have easily thought that he found her sister turbo-hot. The only winning move is not to play of course, but given the circumstances, I think a 6-7 was the best answer he could give.

"Hrm. I don't know. I've never thought of your sister in that kind of way. She's my sister now too. I don't judge family members in terms of attractiveness."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

"They don't want to do a wedding ceremony. Also, they want to do a performance that would only be appropriate at a wedding ceremony."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I read this as "long chest hair" for a second and was all :stare: at what kind of mane he could have there that was tough to dry

e: should've scrolled past the end of the story first :v:

Hella same.

But also, as someone with long hair - you don't wash it daily. A few times a week at most. Shower daily at minimum! And wash your rear end in a top hat!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

the guy who rates peoples looks by numbers definitely rates everyone

Yeah, but you don't have to tell on yourself!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AceClown posted:

I think most women have old period underwear they throw on when they come on, my wife certainly does anyway

Yeah. Definitely. Many women will have a few pairs of "period underwear"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sullat posted:

Depends on the period. Like Victorian era, sure maybe a couple. But you only need one Edwardian, cause honestly who cares. Maybe a few Tudor if you're really into that.

Don't even get me started on Georgian

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

babypolis posted:

its her responsability to do her job to the best of her abilities, and if that includes mentoring someone she feels she can help not doing would fail that resposability

If she was the only teacher that was available to mentor the kid, I would understand. If there are other teachers available, there is no obligation for her to help.

It reads to me like she specifically picks "problem" kids not because she actually cares about the kids but because she gets to feel self-satisfied as "Oh look at me. I did something good. :smug:"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AITA for not chipping in for our dinner group's babysitting costs?

quote:

I've had the same group of girlfriends since high school, there are five of us. Each have a kid - well, except me.

We do dinner about once a month and recently the group has hired a babysitter to watch the kids while we go to dinner. It's four kids, so it's $100 for 2-3 hours.

At dinner, we take turns paying. Everyone generally orders about the same amount of stuff, one alcoholic drink and we split 2 bottles of sparkling water for the table along with our entrees. It's never really been a thing, until recently.

After dinner, the person responsible for the week pays, and then I assume they all head back to the house the babysitter is at to pick up the kids (I just go home).

This week, it was my turn to pay, the first time since they hired the babysitter. I paid for dinner as normal, and hugged everyone goodbye.

When I got home, I had a flurry of texts from the group, saying that I owed $100. I asked what they were talking about because I had paid for dinner.

They said because it was my week to pay, I was also expected to pay for the babysitter "because all of us get the pleasure of being out without kids".

I said, I don't have kids. Why would I pay for your babysitter? They said, you get the pleasure of hanging out with us and it's the only way we can do it kid free.

I'm sticking to my guns and not paying but my friends think I am being unfair for not being willing to "pay my share" of the babysitting.

What share? I have no kids to babysit!

This is causing a rift, but I don't think I'm the jerk! But maybe I am? This wouldn't be a financial imposition on me, but it sure seems unfair.

AITA for refusing to kick in for babysitting when I don't have any kids being babysat?

Edit: Everyone is asking where the dads are, since they hired a babysitter they do boys/girls nights on the same night to take maximum advantage of hiring a sitter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shanghaied posted:

AITA putting my wife on a strict allowance and making her ask me permission to buy expensive things?

Couples that marry but don't combine their finances are disgusting freaks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

She should lean into it and say that yes she absolutely turned her cousin gay and people should be careful how they speak to her if they ever want grandkids.

Me when you say that I turned my cousin gay:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for giving my wedding guests a dress code?

This one is interesting because she specifically says that she asked for no gifts and that guests should keep their money or could spend that money on outfits for themselves if they need.

You can throw together a Renfaire-like outfit for under $100, or if you want to be elaborate, you can rent one from a costume shop.

My favorite thing is that there is a guy in the comments arguing "You're the rear end in a top hat. A dress code is okay if its for something like black tie, but not this!" Because clearly everyone has black tie attire ready to go at a moments notice.

The_Franz posted:

If the invitations basically say "thou muſt in olde timey clothes dreſs oneſelf, leſt ye be refuſed entry", then of course people aren't going to be happy: they now have a non-trivial chore to do, which isn't much fun for people not into the whole cosplay thing.

Going to any wedding is a chore. These people can get over themselves.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think if you have a wedding theme you do that with the wedding party, officiants, performers, and selected guests who want to, you don't enforce a cosplay dress code on everybody.

Literally going to any wedding has a "cosplay" code. That is just usually suits and formal dresses.

If I show up to a wedding as a guest in jeans and a t-shirt, people are going to either deny me entry or look at me funny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

The last wedding I went to was at a pizza place/mini-golf course/arcade. I asked my friend, the bride, if I should break out my suit and she laughed at me. It was 100% a jeans and t-shirt affair.

Oh totally. I just feel like people should understand that weddings may have dress codes and if you're going to attend, you should fit that.

About a year ago, my wife and I went to a friend's wedding. It was an Indian wedding. We were told "dress fancy and flashy. we're talkin' bright colors and sequins. you should look like you're about to go perform in Vegas." My wife and I didn't throw a tantrum because we had nothing that fit that style. Instead, we went and bought a suit and dress that would fit (and then returned them to the store after the wedding).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for using a gift card that my roommate’s students got for her?

RON HOWARD: But there was not more to the story.

christ - the op just keeps digging with their comments "my family is wealthy but i was put on a strict financial plan because my parents say i overspent, no i have no control over my finances. its my parents fault for not teaching me proper skills. i was justified in taking it because it was sitting there"

https://old.reddit.com/user/Karmixloop/comments/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AITA for telling my wife the tiramisu was too expensive?

quote:

Yesterday, my wife didn't get a job she really wanted. She has a job at the moment, but wants to leave and this was a great job for her that didn't work out.

She loves tiramisu so I wanted to get it for her to make her feel better. Looked at a few places and one of them was highly rated but it was like $30 for it. I found another place where it was $15 and it was great, she loved it.

Later last night I said "oh I was actually going to order from that other place, but it was like $30 which is so expensive!" She didn't say anything to that but this morning called me an AH and said that statement ruined it for her. She said it made her feel small like she's not even worth $30 to me. I tried explaining that's not what I meant but it was more of a "can you believe how expensive some places have got?"

Was I the rear end in a top hat?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Probably YTA but impossible to know without having heard the way the OP said it

Not because of not spending 30 or whatever, not because of comparison shopping, but when buying someone a gift, if you brag about how much money you saved on it, they will feel bad

I'm in the YTA camp just based off his delivery.

Yes, he did a nice thing to make her happy. She was happy. LEAVE IT AT THAT!!!!!! To then go "I would have gotten you the more expensive one, but it was $15 more expensive" is, to her, saying "You're not worth $15."

Dude did the right thing and then completely fumbled at the end. If you're financially strapped, I'm sure she knows that and you don't have to remind her.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I've had partners and friends who feel better about a gift if it cost less or you got it semi-free (like with credit card reward points), generally they've had bad experiences with someone holding an expensive gift over their head in some way and knowing 'nah, these points are going to expire anyway' helps them not worry about that. But I think even those people wouldn't appreciate 'I picked the cheaper place because the more expensive one was too much to spend on your special dinner', that just gives an 'I don't care' vibe.

Exactly. My wife and I both come from fairly poor backgrounds so even though we have well paying jobs now, she can still have a bit of economic anxiety around purchases. So if I tell her "Don't worry, I got your birthday present on sale" it will allow her to enjoy it more.

The thing about this story for me is - it was $15. I totally get being in a financial place where an extra $15 could mean a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, $15 is not a lot. And saying "I went with the cheap option because you're not worth the extra $15" when she is already feeling super down about job stuff makes you a loving idiot.

I guess it's less of a "You're the rear end in a top hat" and more of a "You're the idiot"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

AITAH - My ex-fiancee tried to get my wife to cheat on me

This guy sounds tremendously up tight and boring.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Troublemaker posted:

Here's some weird poo poo.

My (23F) boyfriend (27M) doesn't care that men tried to break into my house

There's a followup and it isn't a feel good one.

CW: suicidal ideation

My house almost got broken into and my boyfriend didn't believe me, so we broke up.

quote:

I lost everything in the space of 3 days - I lost my partner, I lost my safety and I lost the ability to leave my house. My dog is asking to go potty and I literally can't take her because it's after dark and I'm frightened the men are going to hurt me.

I hope I don't wake up, I already relapsed and self harmed - I'm just trying to find someone to take my dog so I can start making plans to pass on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

oops. Already posted

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for wanting to take my bio kid to Disney and not including my bonus kids

Disneyland is way too loving expensive and completely not worth it in TYOOL 2024. And I say that as someone who lives a 45 minute drive away.

If you're as cash strapped as she makes it seem they are - maybe pick a vacation that won't be like $3000 for a single weekend.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 27, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Quackles posted:

AITA for telling my friend she shouldn’t feel threatened by her stepdaughter?

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. (The stepmother, not OP)

There is similar drama in the comments too!

quote:

NTA

Oh OP 10 years ago I went through a VERY similar situation with a workmate who met a guy and married him……She immediately treated his daughters as competition and would get jealous anytime they would want to go to a movie, bowling etc ….normal things with their dad

Mind you when it came to her 3 kids from a previous marriage she expected him to immediately play the doting father

When I pointed that out to her she said “I didn’t understand relationships” and I said she was going to end up alone

Tragically a year later his oldest daughter age 21 was murdered by an abusive boyfriend and the marriage broke up when she told him he needed to “Get over it”

Last I heard she was alone and even her own kids no longer speak to her……Your work friend is going to end up the same way if she doesn’t seek therapy for her insecurities

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Bit of a long one but kinda :chefkiss:

I (30F) cheated on my husband (27M) he's taking it well but I feel he resents me

I (30F) cheated on my husband (27M), and now I suspect he's seeing another woman

Update - 2 days later

You know what? Just pretend that 3rd post is bolded in it's entirety.

Cheating Wife posted:

You guys are right saying that I suck. But he has fault too, he never really wanted to fix this. He used me for months and then discarded me.

And yet I want him back and forgive and forget all the hurt we done to each other. As for his girl, I don't think she will be good for him.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Ok but now we have these wonderful new stories like this one...

My step daughter asked if she could call me “mom”

My husband’s ex wife was furious my stepdaughter called me “mom” - 13 days later

Update - 6 days later

I was curious which movie she was talking about -

quote:

I think it was called Late Night and the Devil. It was a horror movie about a late night talk show from the 70s with demon possession and stuff. I thought it was confusing and weird but as always she got to tell me how I missed the point because I’m uneducated in the art of film (kidding of course, she’s not that condescending about it 😆)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mx. posted:

My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here?

I found a picture of the guy who proposed -

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Man at least Ichiban didn't make it a public proposal though.

They were actually on a date too!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

deety posted:

I (43m) accidentally insulted my partner (43f) and she has remained cold ever since. And she wears sweats all the time now.

This fuggin guy.

OP posted:

To be fair, I wasn't at all aware that she puts effort into looking nice. I'm not trying to be horrible...I'm being honest. I didn't know she CARED because she never appears to try.

And I only told her she dresses dumpy and looks old when she INSISTED I explain what I meant. To me, she has the potential to look great. She never appears to do anything to try. Once I casually suggested she try acrylic nails and she got annoyed with me and said that definitely wasn't her style. I'm pretty sure that most people who saw her would agree that she dresses to blend quietly into the background.
The most oblivious man.

OP posted:

She said she's not going to get over this and she doesn't feel comfortable with someone who views her like "that" (I guess referencing the dumpy comment). I sent her some links showing her what I meant (fashion blogs showing easy ways to elevate style) but she just argued with me.
"I'm sorry for saying you look like poo poo. I promise I don't care that you look like poo poo!!"

OP posted:

I told her I was sorry for saying that and I love her and I don't care at all how she dresses. Our conversation wasn't about her at all...it was really just a casual conversation about fashion and color.
"But also, here are some things you can do to not look like poo poo!"

OP posted:

Because she asked repeatedly what I mean by saying if she cared so much then she should try to look good. She said she DID look good, and it snowballed from there.
Zero hope for this man.

Someone on Reddit posted:

You have the tact of a brick, and the taste of a guy who thinks Hooters is a date destination.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

This right here should have been the point at which it hit him, full force, but it just bounced off

Women should constantly be adapting their looks exclusively to my specific tastes in fashion and beauty. Why is my wife acting cold toward me?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA For leaving for the weekend after my wife agreed to host Easer at our house without consulting me

christ just get divorced already

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

You be the judge: should my girlfriend preheat the oven before cooking?

It would probably blow her loving mind to learn that there are some foods where it is recommended to heat up the pan in the oven before even placing the item on the pan.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

I don't think anyone lost out here. You either want your BF to have a dream truck or you want him to be miserable. They just learned something important about each other in time to avoid moving in with an incompatible partner

Anyone who has "a dream truck" deserves to be miserable. The only reason anyone needs to own a truck is if you are frequently transporting lots of cargo - such as if you work in construction or lawncare. Dudes an office worker. gently caress him.

Vim Fuego posted:

What gimmick? Giant truck devotion is a lifestyle. There's plenty of people in America that are all about giant trucks, and/or want their partners to have giant trucks. Figuring out where you're at on stuff like this is part of dating

These people are, every single time, the worst human beings imaginable and I hope they all get run over by their giant trucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I sure hope op doesn’t think this is over. I also never heard the sound of dueling banjos coming over a post more than this for some reason.

Everyone sucks here and it loving rules.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

"Truck Guys" need to be added to the DSM.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mx. posted:

update to this one:

[UPDATE] My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here?

quote:

Again, all his messages were very clear and coherent, even if what he was saying was not based in reality at all. He wasn’t sending paragraphs, just sentences in really quick succession which was blowing my phone up.

loving hell. He really is Kasuga!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AITA for telling my husband that sometimes I get the "ick" over how he always drinks wine instead of beer?

quote:

I (31f) have been married to my husband (32m) for 3 years now. I love him and we have a great relationship.

However, we recently had our third anniversary. We went to dinner and then when we came home we were reflecting on our marriage. He asked me "Have you been happy with me as a husband?" I told him "yes," that I've been very happy. He then asked "OK, but is there something you wish I would do differently? Something I haven't been seeing that you would like to be different?"

I thought for a second, and then answered: "Well, whenever we go out you always order wine. I know you like wine, and I don't care, but once in a while I think it's a little weird that you NEVER order beer or liquor instead. It's probably just where I grew up, but sometimes I see it as less masculine and it gives me a slight case of the ick."

I grew up in rural MN, while he grew up in the Twin Cities. I just never saw my grandfathers, dad, or uncles drinking wine. I was just being honest.

He got this hurt look on his face and said "That's not what I was asking. I wasn't asking you to judge my personal tastes. I just wanted to know if I was neglecting you or taking you for granted in some way."

He's still a little mad at me. I know I was being a little judgemental, but he asked me a question and I thought I was just answering honestly. He shouldn't have asked if he didn't want to know, right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

lol @ the last three pages just being walls of probes. Big John has come home to roost

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, I'm all for judging the adult daughter who showed up to her dad's funeral dressed as Hot Topic but kicking her out seems like an overreaction.

Dress codes and poo poo are made up and fake anyway and people need to loving get over policing how other people dress. If people want to come and pay respects to the dead, fuckin let them. "You are only allowed here if you dress a certain way" is dumb cringe poo poo.