Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Everyone below this post is an rear end in a top hat.

InB4......oh....yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Booshit > r/relationships: where I live 99% of the time the pizza gets there before the cops do

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for never returning my friend’s oven mitts

2 years for a set of oven mitts? If I left a spare set of like, oven mitts or tongs or whatever at my friend's house after they just moved in and forgot them, even if I remembered like 6 months later or whatever I would just ask "Hey do you even still have those?" and they said "yeah you left them here and I assumed it was a gift." I would honestly just say "Alright they're your problem now." The gently caress do you urgently need oven mitts for 2 years after you forgot them that can't wait to order them from like, amazon or whatever? Especially if your solution is "Mail them back to me and pay for it."

As it typical for things that end up in this thread, it's not about the oven mitts and the person asking the question is so bad at navigating interpersonal relationships (they are posting on reddit for advice to begin with) that they have no idea what it's actually about or how to navigate the situation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nvidiagouge posted:

Specific details matter a lot when dealing with living arrangements. She didn't owe an explanation but giving a date ahead of time would have been the decent thing to do. It would for sure have caused more crazy drama but for me at least I would have to do it to have a clear conscience in that situation.

She did giver her a date ahead of time. She also wisely moved out before giving her that date, saving all the drama.

Just how much more time, labor, money and emotional support do you think she should she have given her for :decorum: purposes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cumshitter posted:

They even taunt you right as you're entering your info saying that if you're a gold member they'll automatically enter your info from the previous year, which is essentially giving them money to copy/paste poo poo from their database.

They make it really hard to find, but you can still buy the downloadble/installable version for mac and windows. If you have last year's file it will just import poo poo for you. No extra fees.

cumshitter posted:

I mostly advise people to use CreditKarma's service for federal filing

Is that any good now? I remember all kinds of problems and complaints the first year they offered it (3 years ago?).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I can’t understand who this person actually works for because “manager” and “boss” are the same thing as far as i know.

In lovely jobs you may have a "manager" who sets schedules and directs day to day things, but since they are also an underpaid idiot they do not have hiring/firing authority, don't do employee reviews/promotions/comp changes, etc. Think of this like an IK on SA. They can sixer you, but somebody else has to approve any real consequences, and you technically report to a boss/mod.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spouse posted:

Not that he probably knew the difference, but wouldn't the deficit mean simply balancing the federal budget to be net $0 rather than negative? Bringing the national debt to $0 would be paying everyone back.

Bonds, by definition, are debt financing. If you have an outstanding bond issue you are in debt.

A balanced budget in these terms means not accruing any MORE debt.

Where the language (and understanding) usually stops in things like this is talking about the latter as "deficit spending", i.e. a budget that spends more than it takes in.

And you're over-thinking all of this. The terminology and accounting are meaningless in this context. It's just using a bunch of words that don't sound as blatant as "gently caress the poor".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Even beyond contract marriages, you have people getting married way too early in the military because "I wanna live off base, and I kinda like this person" or "Whoops, protection failed, if it was even used at all". Soooo many divorces following those. So many. At least the contract marriage peeps go in planning on an end point.

Gotta get that BAH bump.

When you incentivize something......surprise....it happens.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Name kids weird fun poo poo for their first few years of life, then when they gain sentience a little bit let them name themselves. Then let them name themselves properly later on, and once more in adulthood.

My birth designation is Logan 6.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

There’s a risk of water exploding in your face if it’s been microwaved. But I’m not sure how likely that is.

Depends on the mug it's in.

You can heat water to just above boiling in a microwave without it actually bubbling much if it's in a very very smooth container. As soon as you disturb it it will start rolling/boiling. That's why the standard advice for microwaving water in a pyrex measuring cup is to leave a chopstick in it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

microwaves essentially just agitate water molecules so it's fine to use them to heat water

but if you're doing anything that requires more than the mug to sit there full of hot water (for example, if you want to make pour-over brew), you're hosed with that method. microwaving single mugs of things is pretty limiting and being able to boil large amounts of water quickly in a kettle is really very convenient.

It also helps when you need to make more than one thing at a time - such as making meals of oatmeal or grits for a group, instead of individually microwaving them one at a time while everyone waits and eats them one-by-one. you just pour the boiled water over the waiting bowls, stir, and serve. Or if lots of people are planning on sharing some tea, you use the kettle rather than everyone microwaving an individual mug and sitting around waiting for each mug to be ready.

I was with you until you right up until the instant grits.

Shame on you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Take a look at the European Union on a map. It's not exactly small. Russia is also freaking GIGANTIC like massive, enormous and seems to manage 220v power just fine. You're just bad at electric, sorry.

The US does have 240v ("split phase" - one phase and the neutral gets you 120, both phases together get you 240), delivered to nearly every home. It is used by things like water heaters, ovens, dryers, well pumps, etc., just not regular outlets. It was done to reduce the amount of fault current in the walls back in the days of the US being the first to have electricity in homes at scale and the wire and gear not being so great, and the lightbulb/appliance standard simply remained, because it was fine then and for a very long time. At this point it's simply inertia.

And if you want to talk about bad with electricity, you just have to look at England, where in an effort to save on materials during wartime decided putting so much fault current in the walls that you need to switch and fuse every outlet sounded like a good compromise and then let that inertia continue on long past it's shelf life.

Even worse with electricity is Japan, where they have two completely incompatible grids, one running at 60 Hz and one running at 50 Hz for.....reasons.

Most electrical distribution pretty much everywhere is a poo poo show of legacy garbage that nobody cares enough to figure out how to undo. It's hardly a <country> specific issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Japan's dual electricity grid is great because a) it leads to a push for stuff that works with both 50 and 60

I mean, as far as that goes pretty much anything with a switching power supply will take 90V to 240V, 45-ish to 60-ish Hz and just not care, and this has been common for a decade now. There's just a lot of other stuff (like most appliances) that are going to be more picky. Unfortunately that's the stuff that tends to be expensive, last a long time, and is difficult to remove/replace.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Ugh okay now this is gross but you should be able to tell that something is odd about these shits and that they are not your dogs ordinary shits.

Yeah, I feel like this is a story written by someone who has never actually seen dog poo poo. Or smelled it. I mean......what am I missing here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

In fairness 'my son is getting up at night and making GBS threads on the floor' is probably not a scenario you would naturally move to without some direct evidence.

Ugh.....yeah.......fair. But like.....it's obviously NOT dog poo poo. But I guess there is no other even close to rational answer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zombienietzsche posted:

I bet she actually believes this.

Believing anything else would require her to come to the realization that she's the problem, and that post clearly shows she's not there yet. Or maybe never will be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

They're mandatory now

Critical Taco Theory

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

This story is being very careful in not saying what the actual argument was over, and I wonder if they got to the topic of CRT and that’s why it got heated.

You don't think that someone butting into a conversation to keep repeating "people without kids shouldn't have a say in what kids are taught" and then being judgy about this person decision to not have children (which bafflingly seems to be public knowledge) isn't enough to make things heated?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

My daughter (“Sara”) has a spouse (“Jamie”) who recently came out as gender-fluid, and explained that they often feel like a different gender from one day to the next. If this were just about adults interacting, I’m as tolerant as anyone; I’ll call Jamie “he” on Monday and “she” on Tuesday and “they” on Wednesday and whatever else Jamie wishes. Jamie has the right to identify as they might wish, and I respect that.

But this isn’t just about adults interacting. Sara and Jamie have a 6-year-old son (“Danny,” my grandson), and that son needs a father. However, Jamie and Sara are asking Danny to work with Jamie’s fluidity. Some days Jamie is “Daddy” and some days Jamie is “The Other Mommy.” Danny is obviously confused, and was embarrassed the one time I saw Danny around other kids on a Jamie-as-Mommy day. I’ve even seen Sara scold Danny and threaten to give him a time-out for misgendering Jamie. I tried to say something the first time it happened, and after Sara and Jamie sent Danny outside to play, they went off on me about respecting Jamie’s identity. They said that Jamie needs support, and Danny needs to learn to respect people as they are. I’m trying to respect Jamie, but I really believe that his son has to come first, and a 6-year-old is not ready for a parent who switches identities day to day. Danny needs a father who puts his son first. Sara thinks that I’m missing the point, and says they’re raising Danny to think beyond labels, not to be confused by them. What should I do?

— Gramma’s Tolerant, but Come On

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

property to be owned collectively by the tenants, with any given tenant gaining or losing a share of interest in the property at time of move in/move out

Yeah, this is a great idea if you want to make people who can't come up with 5+ figures all at once or a loan for it homeless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dramatika posted:

Ok so hear me out. You have a community of housing structures, right? And so people can buy into, and sell out of, the part that they are inhabiting. They are also reponsible for maintaining the part that they have a financial interest in. Now, you might think, what about the communal parts? So what you do, is have every person with a financial interest in an inhabitable area of the community, contribute to a fund that is used to handle these communal projects. Of course there has to be someone actually taking tan executive role to make sure these projects are done, perhaps a group of elected individuals. We could call it a habitation renting coalition!

Maybe we could call it a Housing Oversight Administration.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

A HOA doesn’t collectively own anything. They are more like a committee given power rather arbitrarily.

That's not at all how an HOA works, but nice try.

They have a very real title encumbrance on every home in their domain. The reasons for this have a lot to do with municipalities cutting zoning variance deals with developers in order to up the muni tax base while not providing all of the municipal services to the people who live there and forcing them to contract out and pay for those services to private companies. And if they don't the municipality can and will come in and bill them for what they haven't done to the specification of the deal inked with the developer who is now long gone and left the residents to live with this situation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

So literally exactly what I said. Glad we sorted this out.

Unless you struggle to understand what collective means

If you think that's what you posted means, or is even in the ballpark of consistent with the post you just responded to it would seem it's you that's struggling with something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

It may have been a joke but it really is how co-ops work. When you buy into a co-op what you're really buying is a number of shares in the legal entity that owns the building, and those shares are accompanied by the exclusive right to occupy a certain apartment. You make recurring payments to the co-op because it's responsible for all the public and non-habitable areas of the building. I think it's even an actual HOA legally, just not one that can be used for abuse because no one has a lawn or an exterior paint job to complain about.

And back to the reason this began in the thread as I understand it: a co-op buy in is not nearly as achievable as "renting an apartment", and a lot of people simply can't achieve that. I sure as hell couldn't for a lot for a lot of my life, so whenever I see the "guillotine all landlords" thing I'm left wondering exactly what the gently caress early 20s me would have done for housing if I didn't have the option to rent.

And by that I mean realistically, not in an imagined universe where everything can change immediately and at a whim because you posted about it on the internet and got some likes/comments/upvotes. None of this solves the housing problem, which is all because of financial inequality. People owning/renting multiple properties for profit is a SYMPTOM, not a cause. You don't fix things by treating symptoms.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

In most countries there isn't any shortage of housing. What there is instead is a shortage of affordable housing. This is a problem very easily solved by expropriating the properties into a fully nationalised social housing program with extremely strict price controls on any private residential properties remaining.

Housing is basic human right and should never be allowed to become commodified.

Again, this is not a realistic "solution" that can be realistically implemented *right now*, and the available empty housing is largely not in either the condition or location to be suitable for the purposes of housing people who are going to need transitional and ongoing services, access to those services and access to other basic things like "the grocery store" and "employment."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

People who advance these positions have usually thought them through! I know it’s fun to assume everyone you disagree with is an idiot proposing the stupidest version of their idea that you can imagine, but that’s not usually the case!

Yet we are watching a demonstration, right here and now, of how they have in fact not through this through at all other than "I want a free house and I want other people to have free houses"

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 13, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

kinda weird op kept emphasizing the very normal $70 price of the shoes. also kinda weird the friend didn't say he needed shoes to interview for jobs or whatever, but instead just said his feet would get cold

$70 is the minimum price for shoes that will keep your feet warm. Barely nice ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Aren't there notaries in every Kinko's and post office? How is a "notary business" even a thing?

Pretty much.

The only "notary business" I'm aware of are people who contract for mortgage originators and have to show up at your home with a pile of refi paperwork for you to sign and them to notarize. Seems like quite a poo poo existence, as it's basically UberNotary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

I sincerely doubt he was drinking beer in the car or does so habitually. Not because I don't believe this type of character would act that way, but because if it were at play, OP would've mentioned it to make him look worse.

I checked the thread's comments to see if she clarifies to no avail but found she chose not to use a burner and also posted this.

Am i the only one who thinks this?

Let's go with your take, which is maybe even 50/50 to be correct: That just sounds like a really sad kid who has a bad parent(s) and that's really awful. This isn't the kind of idiot reddit content I come here to find.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

AITA for supporting my ex husband to sue my current husband for using my son's emergency fund money for his golfing trip?

This woman really knows how to pick 'em.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s crazy that a problem with such a cut-and-dried easy solution (just talk to each other and make your expectations and sexual needs clear) has inspired such a lengthy and frankly frothing mad derail

If people were capable of talking to each other and effectively communicating we'd lose 3/4 of the content in this thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blackmet posted:

Credit-Card
break-fast

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No but if cops were there then I'd assume a coroner was already there too.

lol, I see you don't have any experience in this.

The coroner is the person you sit around on the scene for two hours after everything is long over waiting for. And play hot potato on who has to sit there and wait. "Sorry, we're the only ALS rig on duty, we have to leave." "We've got the only ladder truck in service, we can't stay either" "I'm the only cop on duty for my zone, gotta go!"

Also, you never want to pronounce unless you have absolutely no other choice and it's just that obvious. It's a lot of paperwork.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Heliotrope posted:

Is she? I interpreted her last sentence as "I didn't tell him I was married before he asked me out, so he probably didn't know unless someone else told him." Because it makes a pretty big difference if Carlos knew if she was already in a relationship or not before trying to go on a date with her.

How young/clueless do you have to be to not check the left hand before hitting on someone?

(cue the dissent/not everybody wears rings/how do you know this OP did)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for blowing up at my grandma?

OP elaborates:

quote:

I DID warn them, everyone knows all my triggers which are:

Loud chewing/smacking food

Tapping pencil sounds

SHARP/SUDDEN SOUNDS

closing of cabinet doors

So why the hell did you walk into the room where you can be guaranteed at least most of those things to be going on?

quote:

i wanted to help

Yes, help make everything all about you. Good job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

AITA for threatening to leave a road trip early knowing it will mean none of us get any money?

Every year when we were kids our family would go on a road trip through Europe for the summer, until our parents divorced.

Wow, how many times did they get divorced? How long before they remarried each time? Was it just in time for each trip again?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think it's more Becky is trying to find a replacement husband because she's clearly not dealt with her grief

Or she's trying to break the two up by banging him. Either one really

It's both.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me none of the parties involved here have a lot of money to burn, which informs their decision-making.

Something tells me one or both of the parties involved here are exhausting (I've got a bet on which one!) and, once again, we are literally talking about biting the hand that feeds.

In the stated text, I can't imagine turning them away. But you know this isn't the first time, you know the kind of poo poo that was admitted to (can't both to show up for dinner we agreed to show up for) has happened A LOT, etc.

All aboard the first stop on the low/no contact train, CHOO CHOOO.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 29, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you are cooking one batch of fancy steak there is no reason to sous vide.

There is if you're bad at cooking steak. It's really hard to mess up that way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of boomers have huge chips on their shoulders that current generations aren't really feeling forced in this idea of getting married and having kids because it's what you're supposed to do. They raised 3 kids they barely tolerated and stayed with their horrible nag wife so the kids would have 2 parents and now people just... aren't!?

It's jealousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I used to work at a small company where the boss had a house in the Hamptons, a house in Boca Raton, and an apartment on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. Twice a year she'd spend thousands of dollars to ship her orchids back and forth by air between New York and Florida. And then she'd tell us that there simply wasn't enough money for raises that year.

Unless that boss was the sole owner I'm not sure what money they have/what they spend it on has anything to do with how much money the business has. When I'm given an annual budget for raises/promotions I don't get to keep it if I don't give it out to employees. On the flip side, since it's not my money I fight for every last dollar I can get and get that poo poo into other people's paychecks. Some bootlicking managers actually have budget left over and they're proud of that.