Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't understand how someone can be "extremely against infant adoption" to the point that she can "rant for hours about how it should be banned."

I understand not wanting to adopt an infant... but like... what should be done for orphaned or unwanted infants if not put up for adoption? It feel like this isn't a well thought out position.

I think it's purely self regard, with no thought towards consistency or society whatsoever.. They want to identify as a mother, and they don't want to identify as a person who adopts. Maybe even feel that adopted kids are 'fake' kids.

Those who have difficulty having kids often put the act of having them ever higher on a pedestal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

(25 VIALS OF BLOOD) AND EX RAYS

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

R/relationships: he's technically unemployed but trades crypto

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my boss for offering my friend 165% of my salary to do the same job, in a different site?

since goons have been talking about 'why do people even post this poo poo on reddit', i thought this comment by the OP seemed relevant:

quote:

I asked for a raise if he could offer that kind of money to my friend. He told me i would have to prove that he's going to get a good return on it.

A little more information. I'm autistic. I have what was formerly referred to as Aspergers Syndrome. I'm exceptionally good at my job, and i've adapted my job to take on many other tasks, such as inventory control, so I am more than capable of doing my job. That being said, social skills are not my forté, and i legitimately needed input from others on this, to know that I am not out of line for seeking new employment.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm sympathetic to wanting to reclaim symbols but it sure doesn't work until the source of the taint is shamed into obscurity.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I thought the aside about the forest fires and such was a little weird. You don't need to justify to anyone that you don't want your house to burn down, that's, uh, allowed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

can't let a little thing like death get in the way of a good birthday party

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

shouldn't the manager or the maitre'd be the one paying for being stupid enough to not just swap tables when informed there might be a problem

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quantumwell posted:

I find it hard to believe the 16 & 17 year olds haven't already figured out Mom & Dad are boning
other people

I think most teenagers have an almost infinite capability to ignore that Mom and Dad are having or have ever had sex at any point.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong but it's one of those things where the energy is going to pick up because there's also Escape Rooms, Go Karts, like a whole laundry list of things. At some point the kids are going to have to get cut out and it's going to hurt their feelings. Better to just lay down the line nice and early and say "We'll do something special with just us some other time. This night is just for her and her friends."

It's not ideal but it never is in these situations. On-balance, it actually is a situation where the family has to take a step back and go "well thank god this is the problem we have instead of figuring out how to add 24/7 caregiving to their older stepsibling's life, or what outfits the kids have to wear to her funeral."

Sure, but why does Logan get to go to the theater and a couple activities then? Lola is the same age. OP has a point; the only justification offered is that 'they're closer'. The invites are unfair to her kids. There is a vibe that her kids are the step family and not the real family, and if there was any counterbalance offered she doesn't mention it.

OP handled it poorly, which is why she's getting dumped on, but idk what I would do in the same situation. It's not great.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elise is not the one planning the party or invites list, mind.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You better start making some pizzas, Godzilla, or i'm gonna flip my poo poo!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nebrilos posted:

Is there subtext here that I am not understanding?

No subtext. Regular 2 just straight up took the money and left.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Doing basic tasks like litterbox/food puts it more in the realm of catsitting imo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm a little dubious of Baconator Mom. She seems like she's spinning pretty hard to me. And undermining your spouse with the kids is a pretty big deal, and she shouldn't pretend otherwise.

In her story as presented, she's in the right. I am just wary she is bullshitting or leaving a lot out.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

PinheadSlim posted:

Counterpoint : It's loving rad to undermine a co-parent when they're being a really lovely parent, it's rad as hell

Sure. But you shouldn't pretend thats not what you're doing or its not a big deal.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

run on sentience posted:

How abusive does the one parent have to be before you think it's okay for the other to intervene?

maybe put some effort into reading before going straight to 'why are you pro abuse?'

intervene all you like. just don't be like 'oh its not a big deal, anyway it was a one time thing, stop making a fuss. update: actually it happened all the time and its a huge deal'.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

run on sentience posted:

What? None of what you just said is in what the OP posted. You are just making poo poo up to defend this abusive rear end in a top hat.

I'm not defending him at all.

I've had bad experiences with people who say 'it's just one time, it's not that big a deal', on topics that are pretty clearly important. Like say, in this post, 'You're abusing our kids.' Incidentally getting into that sort of argument is very hard for someone who is neurodivergent to deal with. You know it's a big deal, it's been a point of argument for years, but they're saying its nothing to be concerned about.

Obviously its a big deal for the OP. The kids veggies are the main thing they argue about as a couple, and it's leading to divorce. She either had not internalized it or she's spinning hard, and it leads me to not trust her post because I can't tell which. Maybe thats just unreasonable bias from past gaslighting that was done to me. But I'm not defending anything the guy did for fucks sake.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

The behavior you're acting like such a red flag is behavior that can be caused by being the target of abuse. Looking at that and saying "That's a red flag, I don't trust that," sounds an awful lot like "Well why weren't you just better at realizing abuse was happening?" victim-blaming.

so your argument is that the wife is the victim of abuse here? or what?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i think the point was 'started dating' which starts to look like 21/17....

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I still kind of don't get why you'd buy a supercar as an "investment" even if you did get a great deal on it, but whatever, stepbro was clearly the idiot by taking the car. I had to replace one strut on my Camry recently and that was more expensive than I would have liked, can't imagine what it's like to get those kind of repairs on a Lamborghini.

It works for several reasons. These cars get limited manufacturing runs, so they're naturally collectible in that regard. The supply tends to go down over time because of accidents like the one in the post or just neglect, and there's a lot of i.e. tech money dudes who have money but aren't rich per se where this is an easily justifiable hobby because they get to play around with the rare cars *and* can justify it to themselves because number go up.

If he was really counting on this thing as an investment for his retirement though, driving it around occasionally and leaving the keys accessible kinda puts the fault on him. Imagine having a joyride with your social security account every few years for kicks.

I also lifted my eyebrow at the 'amazing deal' he got. Phrase that another way: he was ripping his friend's family off and he knew it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if the kid ate it all he would have gotten it paid for. And he got warned about the difficulty several times. Gambled and lost.

Shouldn't have let the kid watch the shows about high steaks gambling.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

edit: posting twice in a row, my shame is great.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The weird food bank thievery is only the crust of the loaf!

Edit: oops stale tab. ;_;

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You can be pretty lax about leaving *ingredients* out... as long as you wash your hands regularly, keep stuff separate, and cook the poo poo out of it. But that sounds like hard work.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i can understand how you can lock yourself out of a car. But a house? Idk, everywhere I've lived its impossible. I only bother with hiding a spare key because I'm a fuckin idiot and there's no telling what dumbass move i'll pull next.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The kids these days live in a fish bowl anyway. Their parents have a suite of devices to track their location and activities at all times. Their phones spy on them, their cars spy on them, their apps spy on them, they've spent their whole lives being profiled. Maybe they don't see much difference between the government cameras and the corporate panopticon they've lived with their whole lives. Not that Cato has a problem with the latter.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The poster was clearly in the wrong for not asking, and 'ACTUALLY you should apologize to ME' is just laughable. But I do find it a little dubious and poor form that Brother/Tisha's household was so apparently unprepared to accommodate their nephew for a family event they chose to host. An old microwave in the basement that was busted to boot...?

Since its Dino Nuggz, it does make me wonder if Tisha did in fact previously offered alternatives that the OP refused to take them up on, and that just didnt make it into the post.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for going back on my agreement to watch my sister's cat?

what i dont get is that like

doors exist

is it that hard to isolate the kitten for a single night?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm always paranoid about cleaning the toilet when I'm visiting other people's homes. It's just part of guest right, you know? If you violate it, the host has the right and obligation to throw you out in the snow to die.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my brother hide behind the dead wife card anymore?

Phenomenal. The rest of the family is never actually willing to lift a finger themselves, but is willing to be very critical of the person who did. Every time! It keeps happening!

Selection bias, ofc, but it's still aggravating

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 29, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

p sure public restroom just means accessible to the public most places, not Single Payer poo poo Houses

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

VR sanitation is pretty trivial easy to solve: you use a disposable liner for the headpiece and replace it for every customer. Goons mystified by the concept of public restrooms, apparently.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

rotinaj posted:

What public restrooms do you use that have soft foam cushions on the seat that will happily absorb your sweat and plagueridden breath, and will even pass through your brilliant idea of “massively wasteful paper products”

if you are aggravated by people using disposable paper products for sanitation, you got bigger problems than vr arcades.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And I’m sure the guy that thinks it’ll only cost $200k is going to make it a priority to change those liners after every customer.

In my admittedly limited experience, VR arcades/booths/etc usually make a production out of their sanitation practices precisely because 'ew gross' is a big PR problem. Whether they are wiping things down or using liners or whatever, its often front and center, displayed and even advertised.

i mean, maybe this guy wouldn't do that, but just because he's an idiot doesn't mean he's also a self-sabotaging nurgle demon.

...perhaps you're right.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

haveblue posted:

We'll see who's laughing once the kids' DNA is updated

Oh, so that's what you need a notary for.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm sure he couldn't take out a mortgage on his new house to pay off his old loan so his ex didn't lose her house, because he already took out a mortgage to invest in crypto or fuel cells or timeshares or penny stocks or whatever.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Clocks posted:

That's... a pretty crazy amount of interruptions during an hourlong dinner. To be honest, if you have to stop to take a call every ten minutes then you should probably reschedule the dinner.

Lawyers are notorious for their always-on bullshit, but this seems extreme even for that. And if you know you're gonna be interrupted this much you could just, like...communicate?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

they never manage to find someone who can "babysit", as they call it.
Incredible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

She’s a 15 year old girl who would probably be traveling by herself.

IIRC Uber now allows teenagers to ride if there's a nannycam.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Are Range Rovers even particularly huge? I'm sure that outside of Freedomland they're classified as aircraft carriers and cannot be driven without a dedicated team of pilot craft to clear the way, but I've never thought of it being remarkably large compared to the usual assortment of helltrucks populating most suburban parking lots.

They aren't. 207", which is comparable to a 2005 Expedition (205"). Much smaller than a modern Expedition Max or Navigator L (222").

I wonder how many SUVs we would have if you had to pass a special SUV parking test.

Godspeed skatekid.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

To be clear, I recognize that I'm also Incredibly Toxic