Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

Clearly the correct answer is to just start screwing with the other person by inventing a totally ridiculous explanation. Well, you might have missed this part, but the "Grinch" is actually an immortal god-king that demands arboreal sacrifice.
Obviously since the Grinch and the Lorax are both part of the DSCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

AceClown posted:

230+ upvotes...
You cut out the best part where they decided that the 17 year old actually did the robbery herself, OP responded saying they have footage from a camera showing that she didn't, and people responded insisting that that just means she must have masterminded it and gotten other people to do it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I would have assumed that if anyone got friends to rob the house clean it would have been the person sitting in jail for financial-related crimes who can't make bail.
That is more reasonable than it being the OP's step sister I guess, but If it was the OP's mother wouldn't she just have asked the OP to get poo poo together and sell it or something?

However, there are a number of people in the thread who decided it was the OP's mother but the step-sister was in league with her which is even weirder

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Not telling anyone the house was completely unoccupied does in fact make the sister an rear end in a top hat, hope this helps
If she had told the OP (her presumably soon to be ex-stepsister) or her father whose away on a military deployment how do you think that would have changed anything or helped?

I guess if she was an adult and felt safe doing that, she should have at least maybe arranged to go back and check on the house once a week but I'm not sure it would have stopped the house from being burglarized.

I do think she should have told the OP and her father where she was going, though, but more for her own safety rather than that of the house.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes they could have possibly called or even hired someone to house sit until someone else could be home.
The father was out of the country, the mother was in jail, and the OP was at college, and from the post it seems like none of those people could apparently bother to even ask whether the OP's sister in law who had just turned 17 felt comfortable/safe staying at the house alone.

If they cared about that, their first concern might have been to get someone to, you know, look after the OP's sister in law even if the house wasn't going to be burgled.

So yes, in theory they could have hired someone to house sit, but no, I don't think they were actually going to do that, maybe not because they're inherently assholes, but because they had far more pressing poo poo to be worrying about.

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for giving away my daughter's friend's last chicken tender?
If it was their own kid and they thought they were done eating it, they still probably should have apologized if they did it without asking and it turned out the kid was still eating it.

Since it's not even their own kid they shouldn't have done it without asking, and they definitely shouldn't be an rear end in a top hat and act like the kid is wrong to be unhappy about it as it sounds like here.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was like regular Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.
wtf

mystes
May 31, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Wasting precious moments that could've been saved had she already had a go bag prepped and ready for action.
why is this a meme in this thread lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Started here and triggered a huge heated argument for some reason
how the gently caress did that cause a heated argument the OP there is insane

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not that it matters but I can't help but ask: multiple girlfriends like "he has had multiple girlfriends" or multiple girlfriends like he's poly?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neito posted:

Honestly, my reading is that there's a Missing Reason here; the 17 year old already had older sister blocked; either 17 year old has some poo poo going on, or (more likely) big sis is more of a bitch than she lets on and omitted that there might be a reason her sister doesn't exactly trust her.
There's a lot of background information missing for sure.

The sister is described as their step sister and, among other issues, it's not clear how long their parents have been together, for example.

It's also not clear how old the OP is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neito posted:

Ultimately that's my assumption. It's just noticeable to me that that's given without comment, especially when any reason why it's the sister's fault would've absolutely made OP look good in comparison and therefore would be likely to be mentioned.
At one end, it's possible that, for example, the OP's mother owns the house, the step sister has had it with the OP and their mother, and since she's 17 and is planning on moving out in a year anyway, she just wants out ASAP.

On the other hand, it's possible that the OP and their step sister normally get along well and the step sister is just really pissed about her life imploding and being left on her own for three weeks.

We really can't know, but I don't think either possibility makes it really look like the step sister's fault? The way I see it, probably either the step sister is fairly mature for her age and doesn't want to be involved with a dumb situation that isn't her fault or problem, or she's not very mature and it was incredibly irresponsible to leave her alone for 3 weeks in which case the house being left unattended is not the biggest issue with the situation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Boyfriend refused to change his bean stained shirt before bed and we argued about it

How dare she jeopardize the bean(s tained shirt)
The way this is phrased is really weird to me because reading the whole thing it seems like the issue is most likely that they were at the OP's place and the boyfriend didn't want to take of his shirt because he would have had to not have a shirt on or wear one of the OP's shirts but it's worded in a way that makes it almost seem like the boyfriend just really wanted to wear a bean stained shirt for some reason?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

AITA for announcing to my BIL and his friends that my partner and I are going to have sex?
Aside from the whole thing being bizarre in the first place, I can't even imagine how mad I would be if I told someone that they could not come over and then they did it anyway with a bunch of strangers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Second of all, kids that age have a hard time still understanding sarcasm.
In regard to this, I'm curious what their intent was in saying that to their niece, because they don't explain that at all.

Were they trying to tease their niece about being a Swift fan? Were they trying to seem cool by promising something they thought they wouldn't have to deliver on?

If they were joking and their niece didn't understand, that might be less bad than other explanations, but since they don't note that, and I feel like they probably would if it helped explain why they aren't an rear end in a top hat, what was their actual intent?

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

I googled hard jigsaw puzzles and this fairly infuriating looking one came up. Maybe I'll get it for someone I hate next holiday season.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PetraCore posted:

They wanted to get the clout of being the cool relative without actually having to do any of the work, if Kelce's team hadn't made the Superbowl they would have been like 'oh too bad!' but still reaped the admiration. Since Kelce did make it to the Superbowl, their plan was to go 'I was just joking, kiddo!'
Yeah I'm guessing this because if not they would presumably have explained it, and that just makes it incredibly lovely

If they said it because they wanted the kid to take it seriously and be impressed by them, then they don't get to suddenly be surprised or indignant when the kid takes it seriously and is mad that they lied

In other words, the whole point was so the kid would remember it and think "oh they're the cool relative that really would have taken me to the superbowl if only Swift's boyfriend's team had made it", but then the OP is like "wow can a 7 year old even remember stuff like that?"

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I could probably do the pixel one, it would definitely take a long time. I just finished my night sky puzzle, and now I'm on to this one for the second time. 1500 pieces:

I've definitely been called insane by friends when they realize I put the box away and don't look at it while I'm working on it. They get frustrated by proxy.
Do you have a link? I'm not sure I even like jigsaw puzzles and it will probably just make me crazy but I kind of want to do this

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thanks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

AITA for moving out instead of sharing my living space which is causing a problem for my mom and her boyfriend?
I just want to say that her grandparents are awesome and her mother sucks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

My read is that the grandparents in the story are paternal grandparents, which pushes this into hand-eating territory for me
If so I look forward to the update where the grandparents evict the OP's mother and give the house to the OP

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Yeah a seven year old absolutely doesn’t understand that Super Bowl tickets cost $10k, and considering they live in Vegas it’s completely understandable that she thought he was serious.

She’s never going to forget this, even if he manages to smooth it over she’s never going to trust him the same way again
Maybe the OP should take her to a taylor swift concert instead. It would be cheaper than the super bowl and it would probably go a long way to making up for it. I don't know what her schedule is like but she's got to have a concert in vegas at some point I assume?

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

lmao best buried lede in a while
She didn't actually even cheat on him though. She slept with someone else when they had broken up before they got back together and her piece of poo poo husband gaslit her into thinking that was cheating on him

mystes
May 31, 2006

My favorite detail is describing wanting the thing that was already promised as a supposed gift (that nobody even asked to be promised) as "entitled"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

How do I (26M) get my girlfriend (25f) to admit that she is pregnant??

Wow that's a weird one

mystes
May 31, 2006

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Is it though? Has no one else see the many, many stories of women not realizing/denying they are pregnant up until the very moment they give birth?

There was literally a TV show on this that ran for FOUR SEASONS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Didn%27t_Know_I_Was_Pregnant
yeah i had no idea, but googling it, apparently it's pretty common

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_pregnancy

mystes
May 31, 2006

As we all know, you can produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant, and this is just a corollary of that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my teacher’s wrong info in the middle of class then telling the assistant principal he’s also wrong?
god that's infuriating

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

It came from r/AmITheEx

My BF and I had an argument regarding his female friend and need to know the best way to approach her to fix this.

eta: from comments
I have a little sympathy for the OP in this one since valentines gifts are usually seen as romantic and she wouldn't have been totally out of line to tell her boyfriend that she felt uncomfortable with him receiving a valentines gift from his friend but she should have talked about it with him rather than talking to the friend initially and that update is just lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for assuming my baby could come to a super bowl party
Is there even a right answer for this? Assuming the other people knew they had a baby isn't it both their faults for not actually communicating about it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

A Sewage Improvement District in Kansas with chickens is trying to take my donkey from me because I exercised free speech
HOAs suck and a sewage improvement district sounds like some sort of nightmarish super-hoa

mystes
May 31, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

Wait till these MFers find out that we have winter when the US has summer... So somehow Australia (and all of the south hemisphere) is far from the sun while the US (aka The World) is closest in orbit

:psyboom:
That's why it's so egregious imo. You have to not know that the seasons work that way to even entertain the idea that it works like what the teacher said for a second, and this was a math teacher who specifically brought this topic up in a lesson, so I would expect them to have that basic knowledge or at least to have googled it before making some poo poo up. If it was English class or something and the student brought it up and the teacher just didn't believe them I think it would be a bit more understandable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Post in r/AmItheAsshole as if you are your mother and it just happened and ask if you were the rear end in a top hat for combining the cereal imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

One of my elementary school teachers insisted that third person omniscient narrators didn't exist and that if you had a third person narrator in a story they couldn't describe the thoughts of the protagonist (I guess this is pretty minor and he did later apologize but my reaction at the time was like "wtf has he ever read a book?")

One of my sister's teachers insisted that your body produced vitamin c in response to exposure to sunlight

mystes
May 31, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

My 6th grade science teacher threatened me with detention for insisting that pencil lead was in fact graphite. Her evidence was the little box of replacement leads for her mechanical pencil. "See, it says 7mm lead, they could only do that if it was 100% lead, because Truth in Advertising."

Same teacher accidentally broke a mercury thermometer, and gathered the class around the pool of mercury on the hallway floor and let us play with it. Later one of my classmates got in trouble because she found out he scooped up some of the mercury into the cap of his pen and took it home to play with.

I am not 100% sure but I believe she disposed of the remaining mercury by flushing it down the toilet.
When I was in high school my chemistry teacher for some reason got out some mercury for some sort of demonstration and then left the room for like 10 minutes and a bunch of the other kids started to play with it by touching it

Apparently touching mercury isn't actually as dangerous as you would think, though (but liquid mercury is still quite dangerous because of the vapor)

mystes
May 31, 2006

A competent teacher should be able to tell a student that they're not covering something yet without getting mad

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Im marrying a monster
Maybe she's making a go bag

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just make sure you don't have multiple buns in the oven or it's going to take a while

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my brother I won't go to his second wedding unless he pays me and spilling the tea to everyone when that started a fight.
This is very refreshing after the pregnancy denial and incest ones.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 13, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Did no one at the first wedding not notice the lack of invitations, dinner, drinks, etc? Did they fake the ceremony and reception?
It was probably at an all inclusive resort. In that kind of situation, I think the guests usually pay for their own rooms normally, so the only additional cost to make it a wedding that's essential is to pay for a very short ceremony, photography, and one special dinner, so I think you can easily do it with minimal cost over just having people go there without a wedding depending on the resort because the resorts are making money from having all the guests there anyway. (I think it can actually end up being way cheaper for the couple getting married than a normal wedding with the downside that it's expensive for the guests.)

I think all you would have to do to not make it a real wedding would be to not obtain a marriage license when you go back to the US since the destination wedding in another country doesn't actually count itself.

The thing is, in some sense, who gives a poo poo if whether they actually got legally married when they had the ceremony? Everyone considered them married and they could easily just get legally married now with no ceremony, so I sort of don't understand why they even feel the need to do that or be assholes about the OP not attending.

On the other hand the OP was kind a jerk for telling everyone that I think.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

OP was being hounded by the entire family for not flying out to have their real wedding after paying 3k on their fake wedding. The way to get those flying monkeys to go away is to redirect them to the true villain.
I guess it's fair in that situation because the brother and partner caused the whole problem, but I also just don't even get why the other family members would give a poo poo in the first place if from their perspective it was just a ceremony for the brother and partner to renew their vows? I think if they were legitimately just renewing their vows it would be reasonable for someone to say "I already spent a lot of money attending your actual wedding so I can't make it this time."

limp_cheese posted:

I know there is already so much craziness in that story but this stood out to me. Good to know the husband is a homophobe too.
I mean as a sort of dumb devil's advocate argument, in theory, if you think incest is okay maybe it isn't homophobic to compare incest and same sex relationships, since the whole reason that comparison is homophobic is because incest is considered wrong?

However, the OP made another comment where it seems like in this case her husband actually is homophobic and may be upset at the lesbian daughter because he really wanted to have grandchildren that were related to both him and the OP, and may be okay with the incest because it will potentially give him those grandchildren which makes the whole thing seem even more insane

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 13, 2024