Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Curious how dems always scream about how we must vote, yet studiously ensure they're never in a situation where they can vote. What do they know about voting that we don't? Has a study on potential side effects ever been conducted?

their secret research must tell them that the most they can do is urge you to vote in a general sense - telling people which way to vote or to specifically vote for dems must have some catastrophic consequence only they know about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DoubleDonut posted:

this also explains their hatred at anyone who chooses not to vote. how can you not think we’re the smarter ones, we said all those nice eloquent things

lol they get so mad when you tell them you voted third party

what do you mean, you just said to go vote, so i voted for nader since his positions were closest to my views, didn't your civics class teach you to do that?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flesh Forge posted:

when bill clinton was governor of arkansas they used prison labor as personal servants in the governor's mansion, i.e. modern slavery

https://www.newsweek.com/hillary-clinton-prison-labor-african-americans-arkansas-622209

most/every state does this with their government facilities btw, it's far from just a lovely arkansas thing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's more ghoulish than that, she mentions it in her book while musing about how she had total power over them and could have them sent back to the slammer if they were rude or anything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol he hasn't even been in office for a year and the libs are already fantasizing about biden not running somehow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Thoguh posted:

I don’t get why they don’t just split the difference and reduce interest to zero. That helps borrowers immensely and undercuts any moral hazard arguments against outright forgiveness.

doesn't the government already own like 85% of the student loans already and would be able to unilaterally do this with an EO or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
voting third party feels better than anything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Iridium posted:

Since the election, Hillary has blamed her loss on misogyny, sexism, voter ID laws, Bernie Sanders, former FBI Director James Comey and Matt Lauer, along with dozens of other factors. (She hasn’t blamed neglecting to campaign in Wisconsin or deciding "I'm With Her" was a grabby campaign slogan.)

wisconsin OR michigan, and you can probably count pennsylvania too

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DoubleDonut posted:

Like, if there’s one thing to learn from the aftermath of the 2020 riots it’s that even with complete control and a huge, obvious public mandate the democrats are not willing to change anything at all

poo poo i thought we all learned this in 2009-2010 lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

Guantanamo totally got closed

obama ran on a public option and took it off the table before they even started "negotiations"

lol remember when he tried to cut social security and the republicans only blocked it because it didn't go far enough

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol lock them the gently caress up

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1485313965177589770

isn't liz cheney on there too? lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

not only would it make racism worse, it would unlock new kinds of racism

down at the racism lab, a beaker explodes in my face, giving me a gigantic afro

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm really coming around to trump's spiteful wrecking of the state department

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ex post facho posted:

the second time in the last 5 years for CA dems to kill a single payer bill. with a supermajority.

they passed it twice over a decade ago

when there was a republican governor they knew would veto it lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
last time in like 2017 it died in committee after a buncha public reporting and some big donations from pharma

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vim Fuego posted:

The last thing a "cheese pizza" sees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Legitimately don't see how someone could live through the Trump presidency and election of Biden and not understand that the Democrats are infinitely more effective at crushing any sort of real left sentiment in this country

fame douglas is british

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doctor Jeep posted:

Regarde is funny cause every time there's a cspam thread in qcs he's there to ask for deleting the subforum but you look at his post history and it's 90 pages of cspam posts

i don't understand how people are so easily trolled in here by these idiots

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Why is this piece of poo poo that has been banned from several subforums allowed to post here while larry can not?

lol that they also haven't been run out of yospos yet despite getting caught posting on alts

also foreigners obsessed with american politics are invariably mentally ill

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lf had way way more white noise than people remember

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i hate the dems and eagerly await their destruction but that doesn't mean i'm going to vote for republicans either.

it's p funny how mad people get when you say that you're voting third party

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Agean90 posted:

the democrats are insanely bad a politics, the Republicans can make up some poo poo about a concept mostly known to academics and get people calling in death threats to school boards across the country. The democrats can't even get people mad at the supreme court saying racism is cool, actually.

they've got their psychos mad at susan sarandon and bernie sanders and even that's tepid at best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn, I wish I could portal to some better worlds like in Sliders

s01e07

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ELTON JOHN posted:

poo poo

well it was probably gutted so i'm just gonna say "passed a half assed infrastructure bill" and still be right

it's smaller than obama's little one

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually, the bill is for 8T dollars and passed in April of 2021 thanks to the Dem majority.

november '21 and 1.2T, only 550bil of which was actually new spending ie what the bill actually introduced

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ex post facho posted:

Speaking of worse, Roe vs. Wade stands to be overturned roughly four months from now, and from what I can tell, Biden’s only move to prevent this calamity has been a sternly worded statement that Brett Kavanaugh will crumple up and toss into a barbecue pit. Saudi Arabia, home to Osama bin Laden and the majority of the 9/11 hijackers, is about to jack up the price of oil across the world, despite Biden’s pleading for them not to. Republicans wanna put a lock on every uterus, shred every mail-in voting ballot and throw every book about slavery into a blast furnace, and they’re succeeding. Right now. Despite having no executive power of any kind. All of Biden’s adversaries have counted on him proving weak and helpless, and they’ve been right in doing so.

lol forever at the dems

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

You know Trumo is going to make low Energy Sleepy Joe stories like this part of his campaign ads in 2024.

Trumo would have made better deals with Putin

why are people still doing this voldemort crap

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kazzah posted:

If I remember right something like 2% of dems voting for Clinton in '16 believed in pizzagate, like at the time that they voted

something like 2% of clinton voters in florida for '16 polled that they believed that she was a literal demon from hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zvahl posted:

i'm 99% certain that obama campaigned on doing that exact thing and dropped it faster than biden dropped student debt forgiveness

in 2008 yeah, he ran on doing it in his first 100 days lol

and then ofc it was big numbers for 2012 as well

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/259016127361994752

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he wishes he was as tall as steve carell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol that's gonna dry up so many lib chicks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
she has big pale veiny irish boobs, op

it's like seeing a car crash

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol your family doctor isn't pulling down $300k, that bitch better be riding the bus like a responsible poor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know people gett annoyed with housing chat but I bought a very modest house in 2016 for 130k. it was appraised last year for 180k. 220k this year. that's 30% for what I paid in 1 year lol

I don't say that to brag or anything it's just goddamned asinine how much housing is appreciating. I don't see how this isn't a bubble. I haven't made 90k in improvements to the house. I mean yeah I've taken care of it and fixed some stuff but lol home values are completely untethered to anything. and it's not like I could sell it and use the money to buy something better because every other house on the market is overpriced too so the only thing exploding home prices do for me is make me pay more in taxes on it. which would be great if it meant they paid teachers more and poo poo but IDK where the hell the money goes

we bought right before the pandemic shut everything down and now zillow says it's increased by over $350k since then, lol california

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao goddamn

my old rear end neighbor passed away a month or so ago, his kids are cleaning out his house, which I assume they plan to sell. I wonder who will buy it. This is definitely a working class kind of neighborhood, most of the houses are 2-3 bedroom 1-2 bath ranches built in the 50s. It'd be nice to see a family buy it but I gotta think most people are priced out, so I assume it will be a rental company.

I'm willing to bet in 10 years I'll be one of the few people still owning on my block.

the retired lady we bought from told us that we weren't the highest bid, apparently we came in 3rd but our cringy letter of Our New Family pushed us to the top over all the institutional investors for her

this is our first house and it's kinda wild how this neighborhood's turnover is going, we've already had three new families move in on our little street alone since we did, and one of our immediate neighbors just had their kids spend the last three weekends cleaning out what appears to be all of their stuff so it looks like #4 is on the way, all the old folks appear to have decided it's time to be gettin the hell outta here

all the other streets around here seem to have the same story, but with way more redfin purchases. i saw a three bedroom a block over go for about $420/sqft last summer - we paid closer to $250/sqft, poo poo is bananas and i don't see how it's sustainable. we already wouldn't have been able to afford this place if we'd waited even 4 months

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Buttery Pastry posted:

institutional investors read this, start setting up shell families to buy homes cheaper

iirc those letters (and pictures ofc) are required for all home purchases in oregon, i'd imagine they've already pioneered this one weird trick

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

How is it not sustainable? The banks have unlimited money.

we had to get a special "jumbo loan" for our mortgage because it was for so much lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

heated game moment posted:

Thinking about how the dems are pushing everyone to start commuting back to the office to prop up commercial real estate in a time of extremely high prices for cars, gas, childcare, and housing and smiling serenely

they're forcing us back for twice a week despite several internal polls they released saying that no one wants this and we're more effective remotely working, and they're explicitly stating that it's based on the president's forcing all the federal workers back and the CDC saying everything's ok so no masks too

lol dems are demonstrably worse than republicans on this