Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Personally as someone who doesn't have children I'm pretty okay with not getting the tax credit for having them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regarde Aduck posted:

the rare "gently caress you, got nothing"

I laughed irl at this

Professor Beetus posted:

Kids are pretty fuckin' expensive, so by not having kids my partner and I are probably saving way more than 600 dollars a month in the long run. I still think more direct aid to people living in poverty should be a thing though, just so I'm clear.

Agreed, that goes without saying

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth comparing the story to others, because yes, it's pretty straightforward to arrange and contextualize (or in this case, decontextualize) quotes to change the impact. NR leads with ta paraphrase and moves the actual quote downward past a framing section that establishes Youngkin's misrepresentation of the relevant legislation as fact. It also provides no other material from the debate, to make it seem like a massive own of McAuliffe and the dominant element of the event. Here are a few non-right-wing newspapers debate coverage:

Washington Post

Associated Press

NBC

McAuliffe's response got applause during the actual debate. The thing you think is getting widespread coverage, or reflects the state of the debate, or was some sort of self-own...wasn't. It's resonant among people who are already on the right, and...you, because you bought their framing of it.

To follow up on what Vox said, as a reminder we should all be very careful who we trust as sources and believe blindly. It's easy to fall into a trap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

B B posted:

+1 for Princess Blanding in the Richmond. Probably going to be disappointed by the results tonight, but I voted my conscience. :unsmith:

I was about to laugh at you for voting "LP" but I didn't realize that she's actually not a libertarian candidate

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if she'll get a higher percentage of the vote than Howie did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mellow Seas posted:

This is why we have to invent the concept of "half votes," emulating the "games behind" statistic used in sports standings!

You see there are actually three steps to a vote, but first we need to talk about parallel universes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When do they count mail-in ballots anyway? Mine said they accept them until Friday.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tayter Swift posted:

Isn't Halloween over? What's with the M. Bison costume?

It's Tuesday

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanguinia posted:

Also, you know, the fact that this proves the Libs are more Owned than ever. That's probably what's really important.

I'd say that goes without saying, but you know :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seph posted:

For us non-Virginians, where does Youngkin fall on a scale of Mitt Romney to Donald Trump in terms of politics?

He's a baby donny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What happened in Virginia sucks pretty bad but Buffalo is some real bullshit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

No, I don't care to hear the "but creeping fascism!!!!" doomerism nonsense. be optimistic :)

Cute

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

You're all chicken poo poo idiots with failed relationships and kids you don't love might not be a winning platform

T-Mac 2024: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXb4fElJcKk&t=16s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sharkie posted:

Democratic Party members when a Democratic President is in office: "He can't do anything! Don't you see the president is very weak and is trapped in an Iron Cage of Law?!"

Decocratic Party members when a Repub is in office: "Oh no! Somehow the president has broken through the Iron Cage of Law?! And is doing all kinds of things! Gotta vote Democratic to help rebuild the Law Cage"

Well, when the president does it, that means it is not illegal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fancy Pelosi posted:

This idea that Congressional Democrats "can't get anything done" or that they are "squandering their majority" is simply untrue. People are focused on the flashy bills like the BBB and the BIF, but this session of Congress has, in fact, passed over 29 bills into law thus far.

Here's an incomplete list of some of this session's lesser-known accomplishments:
  • H.R.26 Construction Consensus Procurement Improvement Act of 2021 - prohibits the federal government from using reverse auctions for complex, specialized, or substantial design and construction services
  • H.R.208 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 West Main Street, Suite 102 in Tupelo, Mississippi, as the "Colonel Carlyle 'Smitty' Harris Post Office".
  • H.R.264 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1101 Charlotte Street in Georgetown, South Carolina, as the "Joseph Hayne Rainey Memorial Post Office Building".
  • H.R.335 - To provide for an exception to a limitation against appointment of persons as Secretary of Defense within seven years of relief from active duty as a regular commissioned officer of the Armed Forces.
  • H.R.772 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 229 Minnetonka Avenue South in Wayzata, Minnesota, as the "Jim Ramstad Post Office".
  • H.R.1318 - Alaska Tourism Restoration Act
  • H.R.2278 - To designate the September 11th National Memorial Trail Route, and for other purposes.
  • H.R.3325 - To award four congressional gold medals to the United States Capitol Police and those who protected the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.
  • H.R.5434 Surface Transportation Extension Act of 2021 - The bill allows federal highway, transit, highway safety, motor carrier, research, and transportation financing programs to continue operations through October 31, 2021

I know "Do-Nothing Democrats" is a meme but they are, in fact, not "doing nothing."

How's Alaska's tourism doing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what's Lee been up to lately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1455969128280469510

oh, phew, good to know it was completely reasonable and proper procedure to blow up 10 innocent people including a bunch of kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKp6e3sLpKo

But unironically

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Didn't more young people vote Biden than Bernie?

e: No lol I misread an article about turnout between 2016 and the primaries

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ogmius815 posted:

I don’t know if you guys are joking, but not all monarchs are hereditary. There are elected monarchs.

I learned that in Star Wars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Okay and last question: If Democrats had passed the Bipartisan Infrastructure Package before the election would you have considered changing your vote?

91%: No
9% Yes

One woman laughs and says "what does that have to do with anything?"

All that discourse for nothing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Serious Questions about the new car regulations:

- Is changing from high-beams to low-beams really that difficult for a lot of people?

In the Mad Max wasteland of the DMV area, absolutely

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah that still gives time for people to get behind an alternative, you need to think bigger - they both die in Oct 2024 and Nader announces a write-in campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PxRwgjzZw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s not like the courts are legitimate or have any real authority.

I wonder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, people are famously forgetful about getting money from the government via check. Which is why no one ever remembers George W. Bush doing the same thing. Totally forgotten!

I did forget Dubya sent one out actually lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bernie did the worst thing possible; he failed the revolution

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decon posted:

Keep :decorum:ing only democrats though. You're doing so much to help the problem.

He is, just not the problem you're thinking of

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Punch a fascist, don't arrest him!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Peter Daou Zen posted:

They messed with the Sacred and Holy Boxes! If those boxes had been lost and if Pence completely did something opposite and if the So called “Insurrectionists” had hurt lawmakers and if if if if if ….

This was frustrated people being unable to express themselves in any other way any longer. Why are so people acting like that if the Red team just camped in the Blue Teams base long enough they gain control of the entire government? Is that how the United States transition of power works now?

It’s just incredibly embarrassing to see Democrats who got their sacred spaces messed with act like it’s a “Coup” because some people made t shirts ! They planned…Something!!

Many Americans do not care that spoiled millionaires and elites had their offices messed up by the rabble rousers. The dirty commoners were in the royalty only spaces is why the Democrats even pretend to care about this.

It's all just frustration and economic anxiety, nothing more, fortunately, or someone might regret their new alliance!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kavros posted:

I didn't want the true oral history of america to include "our first woman president so a septuagenarian can have a tube put up his butt"

It still counts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

readingatwork posted:

You're being pedantic. Even if the earth doesn't turn to dust and crumble away we are looking at mass death on an unprecedented scale in our lifetimes. People are justified in freaking out a little bit. Hell, freaking out is probably a better response than:

How many people do you expect to survive? Where would you put the over/under?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't blame you for voting out of self-interest & lesser-evilism. I'm doing the same, by refusing to vote

That seems like you're doing the exact opposite actually :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Not when I vote for third-party candidates. :v:

you edited this out, for some strange reason:

for a party that deems only the very poor can receive healthcare on the government's dime without risking medical bankruptcy (which has risen since the ACA passed a decade ago).

I interpreted your whole post as if you didn't vote at all so I only included the part that was relevant, but in that case, it is the same!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It’s all just ridiculous posturing. “I refuse to eat turkey with my racist Uncle,” I smugly type on my cell phone made from slave labor. “I’m helping!”

Sorry to hear about your nephews op

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had to take a cab today and the driver had some chud talking head's show on and it honestly just sounded like a transcript of a shitpost from this thread, nothing but shrieking about how dumb and goddamn crazy the libs are and also a joke about how Australia was a penal colony and maybe he shouldn't say penal on air

So that was an exciting look into what everyone's uncles are listening to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallom posted:

The horseshoe is real

It was the random digression into the word "penal" that got me thinking lol

quote:

You know things are going well for Democrats when they start comparing the lefties to chuds. :wink:

I didn't say whose shitposts :)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 23, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Haha, awesome! Now do one for people’s homes and apartments also burned down in the Kenosha protests. Like “GOOD THING I GOT RENTERS INSURANCE AFTER ALL”

What's the minimum value of property damage that you would say should enable you to execute at will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this country has had a fairly bad track record with tv-personalities-turned-politicians, right? maybe we don't need another one

It's bound to work out for us eventually!