Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Sanguinia posted:

I need to get out of this hellhole country. I'm not going to lives the rest of my professional life teaching fascist-mandated propaganda and hurting LGBTQ kids for a paycheck.
Not a teacher, but same. The brain drain in this country would be loving intense if the whole "If you don't like it, you can leave" mentality were as easy to realize as they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

MooselanderII posted:

Have you considered having these same people pay their federal student loans again might make them realize that the economy is actually doing great???
Not only will it convince me, a student loan-haver, that the economy is doing incredibly well, but it's also going to really shore up my enthusiasm to keep voting Democrat in the midterms next year.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Is he though? It's an elected position.
Looks like this guy ain't ever heard of the Holy Roman Empire.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Kraftwerk posted:

A Democrat is the trust fund hipster who wears flannel, has expensive tattoos and drinks $8/pint craft beer and Pabst Blue Ribbon in "dive bars" built within the repurposed, gentrified, decaying corpse of America's industrial heartlands. They're not real, the people who they are turning into a profit oriented fashion trend see that and feel deeply uncomfortable with it. Frankly it's offensive. There's career union guys who've fallen into destitution and decay while their former workplaces and communities turn into high priced playgrounds for suburban college educated rich kids cosplaying as you like your life and culture is some kind of never ending ironic joke costume party. Is it any wonder the culture war the GOP has been raging has been so effective under contexts like this? I would be so loving angry that the party I thought represented me has turned over to catering to people like that while leaving me out in the cold. I'd vote for anyone who would do everything in their power to clown on people like this and spite them as hard as possible...
The Democratic Party at large does not in any way cater to "trust fund hipster[s]," dude.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

HonorableTB posted:

i've been paying on these since 2013. FEDERAL student loans, from the dept of education, not a private lender.

Tell me why the gently caress i should vote for the people who restarted these payments when they didn't have to on the basis of "if we don't restart student loan payments then it'll make the economy look weak and undercut the narrative"

dems are a waste, useless fucks
I'm with ya—about $47k here. I don't have kids (and don't plan on having any primarily because of student loan debt). It's like, I know the CTC is doing a lot of good for reducing childhood poverty, as well as other benefit programs in general, but uh, can I get a bone thrown my direction? There's a definite degree of selfishness on my part here, but goddamn do I feel like I'm being thrown out with the trash with the resumption of student loan payments, and it's really killing off any remaining enthusiasm I have for the Democratic Party on a national level.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

:jfc: He's insane.
He comes across as a big wet dork trying way too hard to come out of that interview with a nice soundbite, saying melodramatic poo poo like, ""We need the kind of men who make republics possible."

In an alternate universe, Josh Hawley is one of those losers who wears dresses up as a Minuteman and carries around a copy of the Constitution.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
I mean, cool, but can we also get some regulations on the low beams on cars using HID/xenon headlights (which is to say, effectively every new-ish car on the road)? They're incredibly blinding on even low settings, and is only made worse by every dickhead in this country driving an SUV/pickup truck, so their lights are perfectly positioned at head level for me in my hatchback.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Hellblazer187 posted:

FWIW I don't think anyone is wrong for calling the economy bad right now, even if they personally have money. How many once in a lifetime recessions have we had? We're conditioned to always think the bottom is going to fall out at any moment. Cause it has, like a bunch of times.
This is basically me. I've been at my current job since April, and I make quite a lot more than I did at my previous job, but I've also been laid off twice in six years (on top of all the various economic collapses). I basically balk at the idea of spending more than a couple hundred on anything and pack away as much as I can because I have the constant feeling in the back of my head that I'm going to wake up and be unemployed again.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

hooman posted:

We need leaders who are going to publicly poo poo their pants.
All candidates must line up in front of the British royal family and fart. Whoever has the most preferable smell wins the presidency—fair and square.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

CommieGIR posted:

NYT going to bat for O'Keefe and Project Veritas
https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/1458941978117386246?s=20
Its pretty vomit inducing. Going to the level of calling O'Keefe a 'coworker' and taking Veritas videos at face value as "News" and "Reporting"
:lol: Don't worry, they also went to bat for Kyle Rittenhouse the other day too, to similar vomit-inducing effectiveness:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1458469521514184708

What a fuckin' rag.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Epic High Five posted:

I often go out of my way to remind people that the NYT exists today because Marx's writings on economics and slavery being published in the Tribune made a rich guy so mad he pumped a bunch of money into it specifically to serve as a conservative counter to what he viewed as radical rabble rousing. Everything makes a lot more sense once that corner piece is in place
Err, got anything on this? I mean, gently caress the NYT on general principle anymore, but I know that one of the founders (Henry Jarvis Raymond) was a pretty strongly against slavery. Not sure about the other guy, though.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Epic High Five posted:

I'll try to dig up the article on it I read years back through the challenge that is searching for anything about Marx with vague keywords. I don't think it was a pro-slavery situation, more of the much more common "what you propose is too extreme, sir!" type and anyway, I'd bet good money the real reason he felt personally attacked was all of Marx's other suppositions and proposals re: people of means
Oh, fair enough. Wasn't calling you out or anything—just curious since that was the first I'd heard of it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

th3t00t posted:

True

Imagine if Ahmaud Arbery had an AR-15 and defended himself. Any doubt he'd be convicted of 1st degree murder?
Arbery wouldn't have been left alive if he had been armed. A black man with a gun? C'mon.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Willa Rogers posted:

Actually, Biden's polling has been fairly good on his handling of covid, both in this poll & most others. It's the economic stuff that's killing him.

This certainly doesn't bode well for next year.

Don't worry, once we get those student loan payments restarted, that view on the economy is going to turn right around!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So "It can't get worse!" combined with "I'm sure it'll get better on its own!"

Amazing.
I assume these are the same dickheads who are pushing for restarting student loan payments because "if we continue the moratorium then it will make people think the economy is in bad shape!" or whatever the gently caress.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, between people who burned out, nurses and doctors who died from covid, and those who are just tired of the abuse, its going to get a lot worse.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah, the real salient issue here being that the system isn't just in trouble, but broken and burning out at every possible level. The whole thing!. The industry that takes up 18% of the nation's GDP turning human lives into money for Aetna is on fire and teetering on nonfunctional.
It seems like the kind of burnout/mass resignation that will take a while for it to be felt by everyday dipshit Americans, too, so that'll be fun.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The vote to ban the books was 6-0.

The vote to burn them was 2-4.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1460743407224213505
At least some of the fash are aware that book burning is still passé.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
She is the physical manifestation of "ignorance is bliss."

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

selec posted:

the Malcom X thing isn’t surprising but goddamn, what a loving rigged history we teach kids.
I mean I don't disagree with you, but I don't think kids learn about Jimmy Hoffa?

Unrelated, but I saw a commercial for "Meta" watching the Patriots/Falcons game just now and :lol: Good luck, Zuck.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

did you really expect him to have any response other than this though
The point here might be that he didn't have to respond, especially if it was going to be something as lovely as that.

gently caress Joe Biden.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Mind_Taker posted:

Joe Biden really wants to see how low his approval rating can go, huh?

Between this and student loans starting up in a few months it's possible he's going to be sub-30%.
I got my monthly "Hey, fucker! Your student loans are starting up soon! Go gently caress yourself!" e-mail last night and it is really killing my midterm enthusiasm.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

SourKraut posted:

Same. With the lovely job the Democrats are doing lately, I might still vote in 2022 (because I actually do like Mark Kelly here in AZ), but come 2024, I'll just toss my ballot in the fireplace and watch chaos reign on election night.
Still sticking with local/state stuff and definitely voting for Charles Booker, but the national party can get hosed.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The thing that's so interesting about this fact is that it is an uncontrollable beast. Even the top members of the Republican party trying to emphasize getting a vaccine now or being yelled and screamed at. While they can use them when they wish and influence them as much as they can, they are unable to control what happens.
And those top members will be slowly replaced by the Gaetz/Cawthorn/MTG/Boebert crowd.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I really wonder how the right is going to react when Trump is put under criminal indictment which is likely to happen later this winter along with many of his other associates.
Err… what?

PhazonLink posted:

I said this before, but Zuck, Jack, and Murdoch (and several other old media billionaires) COULD settle for a slightly lower rate of billions and foster a healthier US/world. But they dont for reasons.
The reason they don't is stated in the previous sentence: fewer billions? Not a chance.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
:lol:

When I think of "pragmatic problem solving and people who can just get things done," it ain't the Democratic Party.

Abner Assington fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

InsertPotPun posted:

"owning" things is going to be an elite activity soon enough
I mean, with inflation being what it is and wages being what they are, yeah.