Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is Dokapon Kingdom erasure.

I've played Dokapon a couple of times and that game is absolute misery even when having a CPU player to gently caress over or collectively get mad at. A couple of bad RNG rolls can keep you in last for hours and it is complete hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DLC Inc posted:

nobody does "gently caress it, here's a trailer for a game you barely know poo poo about, and it's out in 2 months" better than Nintendo

Gotta get it out of the way to clear space on the schedule for the next Direct.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Between Pokemon and Xenoblade 3 I highly, highly doubt BOTW2 is a 2022 game. That's way too many high-profile releases crammed together in the back half of the year and we still don't have a proper subtitle for Zelda yet.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I expected that delay once Xenoblade 3 was announced for November. Still a bummer though.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Papes posted:

Lost levels is dogshit and easily the worst mainline Mario game.

This will never be true because Sunshine exists.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

dr.acula posted:

My favorite biome is when you are just really tiny and in a regular place, like de_rats or sandbox in CoDWW2.

Ribbon Road is one of the coolest glowups in Mario Kart 8 for this exact reason.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Also in 2022 expecting new IPs or even returns to older IPs from big publishers is a pretty big ask in a lot of cases because of how risk-averse most of them are now.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prime 4 (cancelled)
Silksong (cancelled)
Bayonetta 3 (cancelled)
BOTW 2 (cancelled)

One of those things is not like the others, unless you're talking about the Switch version.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Watching the direct now:

-snip-

Please source your quotes.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean your post reads like you had no clue Tears of the Kingdom was a thing despite ample discussion of a botw sequel for at least 3 years so forgive us if we read it like a Wendy's drive through complaint.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Well then you should have just said you didn't want a botw sequel in the first place even if that ship sailed long ago. And criticizing botw for an empty overworld while clamoring for wind waker, which has about the same level of density in its overworld with almost none of the interesting topographical diversity, is some big cognitive dissonance imo.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There's a fair argument to be made that Yoshi's Story has been far more of a template than Yoshi's Island for Yoshi games, and that's a drat shame. Yoshi's Story is really not a good game and its influence on the character and later games is kind of shocking.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My copy of xenoblade 3 I scored from target for $35 arrived today, I'm really feeling it!

Enjoy, OP, it's a fantastic experience. Fully deserving of the GOTY nomination.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If you like JRPGs I recommend Xenoblade Definitive Edition and then, if you like that, the rest of the series.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah combat going back from 3 to 1 will definitely be the toughest part of that sequence, but DE is absolutely worth playing in its own right. I agree that all 3 are very good games (IMO 2 is largely hampered by some design choices in the early game that turn a lot of people off), and 100% agree that 3 is an incredible experience top to bottom and easily a top 3 JRPG I've ever played.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Great Ace Attorney has been kind of a slog for me to get through. I've picked away at cases since it came out pretty much, but it's not suited for playing large chunks at a time. The elaborate animations, especially on Soseki, were cool at first but have really grated on me with how often they play and how much they halt the gameplay to get through. For how much I love Ace Attorney, this game feels like less than the sum of its parts, and I've been pretty disappointed.

E: for reference, I'm also on Part 2, Case 2, in part because the spoilered character above might be the most annoying character in the entire series for me.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2022

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The mysteries themselves are really good, but I think what really took me out of the game were the couple instances where they basically shouted through the fourth wall at pivotal moments, "drat, wouldn't it be great if we had better forensic technology? We're only a couple years away, and if we had it, we'd have this case wrapped up already!" Even if it's important to the setting, It really struck me as taunting the player.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Motto posted:

Oh yeah I didn't mean with regards to overall reception or that it's a common opinion, just emphasizing that it's so standalone and accessible that the closest I've seen in the ballpark of continuity issues is people complaining about the exact opposite thing oldstench was worried about

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they saved a lot of the past game fanservice for the story DLC, to the point where I'll be disappointed if at least part of it isn't exploring the photograph from the ending.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 31, 2022

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've beaten TP twice and aside from the dire beginning and final battle there are maybe 2 or 3 moments I remember from the rest of the game. It's just so unfortunately forgettable for how good the trailers made it look.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
XBC is definitely not for everyone, a lot of people bounce hard off the combat system and if you're going to play an 80-hour RPG enjoying the combat should be paramount to the experience, and it makes perfect sense why you wouldn't like them in that case. But if it's the stories and/or the characters, that's where I have to concede that we just have way different expectations and tastes in JRPGs.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Riki's DOTs are ridiculous, a team with him, Seven and (if you're controlling her) Melia that emphasizes Bolt can make enemies melt in seconds. It's low-key one of the most fun team compositions in the game.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 10, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
As time has gone by, I've really felt more of the opinion that P3 is largely propped up by its final act, which is probably one of the best for a JRPG if not all of gaming. The rest of the game, while consistent in themes and presentation, just has too much that was improved by its successors imo.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Oof, that's not the look for the xc3 dlc I was hoping for :smith:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The biggest sin of Magmoor Caverns is that it doesn't have a capstone boss like all the other areas, so it feels even more like a filler area you just pass through to get elsewhere.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Why does Nintendo insist on recycling Waluigi Stadium when 8 is perfect to do N64 Wario Stadium as a segmented track? It's really baffling.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I would absolutely not be surprised if they capped off the last dlc for Mario Kart 8 with another F-Zero track.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Reading a bit I guess I was missing "tap break during drifts if you're too out, but only a bit" and "don't always do tricks if you're gonna hit a steep curve at high speeds" which like, are logical but my brain told me "MOAR SPEED".

That's the thing I love about 200cc, it's probably the closest Mario Kart will get to becoming a racing sim because you have to pay attention to your driving line, braking, and how you handle jumps, there's a ton of small strategic choices that you don't have to make on any other difficulty.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah Mario Kart 8 online is some of the most cutthroat competition out there, and I say that as someone who (tries to) play fighting games competitively. There is no mercy for the weak in MK.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The remaining city courses for now are just Vancouver and LA, right? Usually Tour is the signifier for what will be in 8's DLC and the next track coming is Wii Dry Dry Desert.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The game is gonna look cool when I play it on my TV, that's all I give a poo poo about.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The thing is, with the right rentals and a little luck, you can bullshit your way through the first half of the battles. Good loving luck doing that with Round 2 though.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the mario movie looks like rear end but its interesting that nintendo is actually doing stuff like that and the theme park now, it's pretty rare that they exploit their IPs like that (Pokemon is a separate case where they're practically spun off into their own media company which Nintnedo happens to partially own)

As someone who has never been to the New York store, I've always been of the opinion that Nintendo is leaving tons and tons of money on the table when it comes to merch, either because it's bland or doesn't exist beyond their big series. Which is fine because that leaves a solid and necessary niche for folks on Etsy and other platforms to occupy that space, but I would be willing to drop a lot of money on some officially licensed items that may be a bit too intensive for smaller creators.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know the target displays that have a mario on a flagpole? I want one of those so bad!!

This would be so sick, yeah. All I'm saying is I would pay so much money for an official scale model of the Blue Falcon or Monado, y'all have no idea.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It is really a testament to how much of a sham the Game Awards are that God of War won best OST over Xenoblade 3.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Calling the BOTW world not interesting to explore lmao people really do come hay and post the wildest things

People who do not like BotW often will not hesitate to tell you that it's actually a bad game, rather than just not meshing with them.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There is a great game in Xenoblade 2, it just trips over itself so much it can't exceed good, and it has to stand against DE and 3 so it looks much worse in comparison.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm pretty sure that whenever the next Direct is, probably 2-3 weeks after Pikmin 4 releases, they'll announce the next Mario Kart 8 wave and it'll drop within a week from there.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
One thing about Tears that has been a bit disappointing is the shrines seem an order of magnitude easier than BotW with one or two notable exceptions, but maybe that's just experience and being more savvy with what the game is looking for. Plus, that's really the only downgrade so it's a pretty acceptable trade imo.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That is true, I can think of 3 or 4 (especially Forward Force which was like the first or second one I encountered on landing in Hyrule) where I immediately said "That's definitely not how I was supposed to do that. Oh well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

WarpDogs posted:

I actually kind of like that about them. They're easier in the sense that they're (generally) much shorter and also much easier to do in goofy ways

The coolest shrines I've found are always the ones that seem to be one-room affairs don't give me a Jenga puzzle and only have me do it the once you jerks :mad: