Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Has then been any good sales numbers dropped for Metroid Dread yet? How long does does usually take to get released?
They just announced third quarter hardware and software sales, up through the end of September. So in like 3 months we'll hear the fourth quarter software sales? Maybe we'll hear sooner if they hit a milestone to brag about, I dunno if Nintendo does that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

this is gonna sound like flame bait, but are any of the (mainline) pokémon games actually worth playing as an adult if you have never played one before? i'm sure i'll get one for little jones when he's a bit better at reading to help him with it; i'm more wondering if there'd be anything that'll pique my own interest. i like cute things and generally think pokémon are cute if that helps.

Depends on what type of gameplay you want. Since the Let's Go games are based on gen 1, they have much more involved cave systems and dungeons than Sword and Shield, as in they exist (albeit at the cost of the traditional wild pokemon fights). So more interesting adventuring. But Sword and Shield have more mons and lots of legendaries to fight and collect, plus some good DLC.

If you have access to a DS, the Black/White and Black2/White2 games are chock full of side content and postgame content, which dropped off a little with the shift to 3DS.

And of course there's the gen 4 remakes this month which I can't really speak to.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

4 year old daughter asked me about my Mario shirt and half an hour later she's playing with a handful of amiibo. Mario, bear (banjo), growser, and nest (ness) are making a birthday party together.

This is gonna result in an inevitable broken amiibo but holy crap worth it.

In other news I'm in the undersea palace of okami. Maybe this time I'll actually finish the game!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Now I wanna know what the most fragile Amiibo are. I only have a few, but my guess would be King K. Rool? That cape seems like it could snap off kinda easily.

Of the four I'm letting her play with, Mario's fireball is pretty delicate I think.

I think Rosalina is pretty fragile. The wand and Luma.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thinking about either Persona 5 Strikers or Immortal Fenyx Rising. But I'm also thinking about how I have dragon quest xi and three houses in the old backlog and I shouldn't pile it deeper.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Has this actually happened ever

PT couldn't be redownloaded, but technically you never paid for it which is probably why they could do that.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's a ultimax

Nothing what's a ultimax with you

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The "umibozu" theory.

That whole "thousands of years after a nuclear armageddon" stuff usually kind of puts a chill down my spine, but the "Japanese water demon that possibly takes many forms and causes your ship to crash" is :stare:

And also, I guess I didn't actually beat Pikmin 2, because hoooooly poo poo Louie :wtc:

The umibozu theory is cool, I'm looking forward to seeing if/how they expand on it whenever there's a Pikmin 4. :hai:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the crown mechanic?

Whoever has the highest score at the end of the level gets a crown. That crown can be knocked off intentionally by another player, to take it for themselves. Chaos ensues.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Late to Year In Review talk but looking over my statistics, it says:

Witcher 3, 77 hours
Hades, 53 hours
Okami, 42 hours

But those statistics look super high for my actual playtime (skipping lots of content, haven't done the Witcher 3 DLC yet, etc.). So I compared it with the Play Activity log of my user account. My switch itself is claiming that I've spent 50 or more hours in Witcher 3, 30 or more in Hades, and 25 or more in Okami. And those figures look a lot more like the actual hours recorded in my save data. I wonder why the Year in Review stats are so much higher?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Woah did we have a release date for Kirby before this? March 25 is sooner than I expected.

Was that a pith helmet? Did Kirby absorb colonialism?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Kirby kills gods and the new game has a fishing mini game? Veering dangerously close to jrpg territory here.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Well, there’s the Tanuki Suit, the Cape, the Flying Squirrel Suit from NSMBU, the Wing Cap from 64, and possibly more I’m forgetting.

Possess a rocket ship through a ghost hat!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Finally finished Banjo-Kazooie, roughly 23 years after renting it from a Blockbuster back when they, y'know, existed. It's a good feeling to wrap up that bit of unfinished business after all that time.

Next up: wrapping up the second Famicom Detective game.

Xenomrph posted:

How often do first-party Nintendo Switch games go on sale on the eShop? Just about never? I'm talking stuff like Yoshi's Crafted World, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Kirby Star Allies, etc. I remember first-party titles on the 3DS eShop almost never went on sale.

I'm seeing them for $40ish a pop on ebay, but if the eShop does better discounts than that I'm happy to wait for a sale.

Nintendo has almost never done more than a 30% discount on an eshop sale. You just missed the New Year's Sale. Next up is March 10, when they always put 1 or 2 Mario games on sale. Then the E3/summer sale. So you've got a nice long wait ahead.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

hadji murad posted:

Wow the QOL in Final Fantasy 7 is really well implemented. Do any of the other ports feature the same?

For some reason the QOL features in ffx were only implemented in the steam port.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1491049195343650817?s=20&t=bORrRsM9ylYXR_pr3_5jYA

Let's a go!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Solar Tornado posted:

Survey says:

- 3 obscure NES games
- indie game about pets
- pixel roguelike
- successful indie game from 2020 coming to switch (in a year)
- remake of an old ms-dos game

So sorry :(

Ok but a AAA remake of Betrayal at Krondor would be the GOAT.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

*shakes magic 8ball* Expecting an eShop Kirby game for the anniversary, an announcement from Next Level Games, and Xenoblade 3. Let's go.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

For the third time, the Kirby trailer has gotten me good.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Valve made a port (al)!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Goddamn FEAST today.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Earthbound came home!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

WOOOOOOOO!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

xenoblade, fire emblem, mario strikers, live-a-live, cross with radical dreamers, portal, front mission remakes, earthbound? Might be the best direct ever.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Wild for square to announce so much out of left field, but not the ff remasters we were all certain were coming.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Palmtree Panic posted:

DK is getting a theme park expansion at Universal Studios.

Maybe E3 will reveal the rumored Odyssey team developed DK game.

Between the theme park and the casting of so many Kong characters in the Mario movie, I would not be surprised to see a big DK push over the next few years with a spinoff movie and a new game.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

There was a third Famicom Detective Club story released on satellaview, maybe Nintendo will revive that one too.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I like RPG's and would like to play the Xenoblade 1 re-release but I have a question about it.

How does your character's power advancement manifest itself? For example, in Diablo, you have builds that come from leveling which gives you access to skills, and you get better gear over time which dictates how powerful those skills are. That's plainly obvious with Diablo, but I've never really seen anybody showcase anything about how player progression works in Xenoblade. You see plenty about the world, the characters, and small tutorials about how combat works, but not about how you advance in power and capability over time.

Do you get better armor that looks progressively cooler? Different weapons? More expansive combat options per character build?

You get 3 types of xp: character levels, weapon skills to increase, and character talents/passives.

Gear and gems to enhance said gear.

There's a friendship system that allows each character to equip talents from other characters, gated by friendship levels and how many named monsters you kill.

And gear in the original made you look like a clown, but you can choose your appearance in the remaster.

It's super complex and doesn't really matter if you just outlevel enemies by even a little bit.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

In a textbook example of adding insult to injury, the eShop website was just redesigned and all the wii u games disappeared. Looks like you have to use an actual wii u to browse and buy now.

Looper posted:

the battery is swollen :(

I can't find the store page offering replacement batteries anymore, grab one off Amazon or Walmart while you can.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks! Glad I just missed it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

So until/unless any delays happen, we are leaving getting BoTW2 and Pokémon Gen 9 this year. Wow. What else is planned for the back half of this year? This is could be the best Switch year, maybe ever.

Could be as much as Xenoblade 3,. Bayonetta 3, botw2, gen 9, Mario rabbits 2, and anything announced at the summer direct.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, you're looking at the wrong franchise. I'd say Yakuza's the more likely comparison, where they stick to the old map, toss in the old existing mechanics, and then iterate a whole bunch of new ones and content into it to make it much more populated.

Now I'm thinking a crossover game with Kiryu in Hyrule would be aces.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is there anything else on switch like Timbleweed Park? I already have Grim Fandango. I love old lucas-arts point and click games. Thanks

Unavowed. And Primordia, which got ported literally today.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Happy MAR10 Day!

Sinking suspicion that we're getting a Mario trailer today, given Nintendo's push to make MAR10 a thing.

e: cursed snipe

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So here's something that might be of interest to anybody that grew up on Nintendo Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJxIds8aoQ

Video Game History Foundation did a reunion of the original staff, including Gail Tilden and Howard Philips. Lots of fun details in here, like how the Princess Toadstool -> Peach transition happened, the cover artist for NP that refused to play videogames, and the story of the Dragon Warrior distribution. It's a fun watch!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

As one of five people who not only knew Rhapsody existed but owned a copy and enjoyed the hell out of it, I am unreasonably excited about this announcement and it's probably a day one purchase for me.

:same:

Is this the playstation or the DS version? Looks like La Pucelle Tactics is the PSP version in English for the first time.

It'll never happen but English releases of the Rhapsody sequels would be amazing.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So weird to have Radical Dreamers about to be playable. I hope more Satellaview games are revived like this.

Also I just rolled credits on Kirby and the Forgotten Land and drat that sure was an amazing finale. Diving into the postgame for sure after that wild ride.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I sign up for a trial, get rent it, and when it comes I just keep it, right? There's no "buy now" $30 option?

No, click the menu button in the upper left, there's a toggle to switch from rent to buy.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sony's got a bunch of PS1/PS2 titles coming for their new service model on their consoles, I'd be hoping/assuming that's where they'll crop up.

(:pray:)

Here's hoping for dragon quarter as well.

It's psp games as well right? I bet we get the psp version of bof3 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Was there ever talk of Nintendo porting Detective Pikachu to the Switch (or making a sequel)? I'm currently playing the original game on 3DS, and for some reason I seemed to remember there being rumors of a Switch port or sequel.

Definitely a game for the younger crowd, but it's a nice cute way to de-stress before bed. :kiddo:

It was announced in 2019 and is still in development. It's a sequel of some sort, we don't know if they're porting the original.