Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ibblebibble posted:

I only just noticed that when you clear a mission for the first time you unlock an alternate version that has higher reqs but gives more rewards. Might try one out tomorrow.

The sidequests seem to involve running through the missions in reverse, starting from just outside the boss area. At least that's how the demo side missions were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hard has different enemy placements and boss attack patterns, it isn't just bigger damage numbers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Did I skip a cutscene where we learn who the 3 bros are and what chaos is and why Jack hates it so much or does the game just start in media res

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Pugilist is a fun class so far. Samurai is okay. Theif is real bad

Thief is great in some cases, like the third boss you can chain steal instant whirlwinds to kill the adds easily. But the daggers are underwhelming in general.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Daggers are good with status effects. That is why they give you poison early.

I want to try out assassin. Poison seemed pretty trash on the boss I tested it against, and non-boss enemies are dead by the time it applies

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Strong stuff I've found so far:
-The Swayback ability is crazy good, instantly restores 75% poise plus a giant dodge with iframes. Combos well with the Counter buff that gives you extra MP and reduced poise loss from soul shield.
-The Berserker buff adds 60% damage and stays on you if you switch to another class, seems to easily be the strongest buff in the game if you aren't relying on potions for healing. I need to test it in combination with the skill from Ronin that also buffs damage at the cost of taking more.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Where's the sidequest memory in Crystal Mirage?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jokes posted:

Now that all you loving assholes who have a PlayStation (which I don’t have but I very much want) got to play the meme game, how is it honestly? It just looks so, so extremely fun

It's sick. It's like Nioh if Nioh was more interested in making you feel cool and strong than it was in being difficult

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The story being completely disjointed and bizarre starts to make more sense once you realize the game is doing some Total Recall poo poo

I'm not super optimistic that they'll stick the landing though

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

I really like SoP BUT the bosses are loving stupid and unfair and really bring the game down from greatness level.

This is aimed at Tiamat who has bullshit moves that can one shot you.

Which gets me to my main problem with this game:

Blocking and that whole system seems to make no sense. When you block you get a hit to health and your break meter. That's pointless. There's also no real tell about what moves are blockable and what aren't.

This wraps around back to Tiamat who spams tornados and tailspins at you that you can't block or parry or absorb.

The game can't decide if it wants to be Ninja Gaiden or Nioh / Dark Souls. Regular enemies are basically Ninja Gaiden but Bosses all of a sudden take on a substantial horrific difficulty level.

Couple that in with some kind of weird lag when trying to use health potions to the point where they sometimes work and sometimes don't oh and sometimes if you do get one off jokes on you, the lag and animation caused the boss to hit you and instantly negate the potion.

With Elden Ring, a game I don't even particuarlly think is better than this, when you beat a boss you atleast feel like you figured out the bosses gimmicks and pattern. With the bosses in this game I can't tell anykind of pattern or anything, they just spam moves at you.

Well that's my thoughts. gently caress you Tiamat. This game was good until then. Also gently caress that one minute elevator ride before him.

Sounds like someone skipped the soul shield tutorial lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

You can't absorb moves from Tiamat, atleast none that I noticed except for maybe one. But you're lucky to even have any break meter left TO soul shield since the game decides its okay to take it away while blocking while taking away health.

You can absorb the wind, lightning, and poison shot moves -- as with any enemy, if a move has purple text you can steal it, and any move without red text can be shielded. The wind one is really good for cutting off heads. Anyway, stop blocking. Soul shield + counter + swayback means that every soul shield is a net positive for MP and break gauge, the rest is just being patient.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I probably shouldn't have stubbornly stuck to fists. Fists are pretty much the worst weapons for phase 2. Maybe I should have used RDM Blizzard 3 more, I mostly forgot that I had unlocked RDM spell charging.

I look forward to my revenge match with her later once I unlock Void Knight and BLM.

I think fists are bad for most bosses because you're not going to be able to keep the buff up during longer attack patterns, and you often don't have big enough windows to even get it to lvl 2.

They're great for miniboss enemies though

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't played Monk since the demo, but from what I remember what I did was use Resonance to tell the party members to "get in", the bosses seem to have pretty straightforward aggro tables and will target a companion if they've been doing more damage.

This is usually enough time to run out of range and charge up to max before the boss does a special attack or something where it doesn't respect aggro

There is also the command ability you can take from white mage which doubles the length of buffs

The monk R2 buff is different than the fists buff you get from combos, which at lvl 2 gives the the massive charged R1

I actually wonder if the buff duration command from white mage affects the fists buff

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thoughts on chaos difficulty: it's not very fun

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Lotus Aura posted:

I don't mind it so far, but the very minor bonuses you get from Master Points don't feel remotely worth the hassle of grinding out. It just being that and an equipment treadmill is fairly disappointing. It should at least have some unique content or something and not just "redo everything again but with bigger numbers".

Speaking of which, can you respec/redistribute the master points whenever you want? I haven't been spending them out of fear of doing something irreversible.

vvv thanks!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 17, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

DrPossum posted:

:ohdear: Does he kill Chaos?!

no

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Sage is completely stupid with the 400% Black Mage affinity bonus and the MP Regen command, you become a self-sufficient MP battery who can just chain-cast Ultima. Nothing else I've tried (farming 300 Chaos) even comes close.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

pretty soft girl posted:

Anyone have any tips for consistently building max mp? I feel like I'm missing something about the system, a lot of my kills seem to come from straight hp damage so I'm not getting a lot of opportunity to burst enemies. I've mostly been messing around with red mage and tyrant with one handed sword and I'm not sure if I might need to swap either a class or a weapon type to better build things up. I can get some built up from the rdm trait that gives auto-bursts on kills from r1 r1 r1 r2, but it's not been a super reliable strategy. Trying to farm max mp through circle parries seems slow as well. Once I have myself built up to full max mp I can get the rdm gameplan of chain nuke - magic regen - get a burst - repeat going, but getting there is giving me some trouble

Also this is probably the first 3rd person action game I've played in like a decade so I'm both straight trash at execution and also confused at what's going on most of the time

Soul shield gives max mp, so you can just let enemies attack you and build it that way

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Ultima is just good. Sage just gets to cast spells from complete safety and then fire a super nuke to end fights. Don't know how it holds up in CHAOS, especially since it's typically one of the later jobs to limit break, but it def got me over the finish line on Action.

Sage stays good. Sage and Red Mage are S+ tier with 250% Cyclic Warrior and the Chaosbringer/Magic Recharge combo. You can also throw in Seal of Blood to make Ultima even more absurd, and always have it ready before fights since you have functionally infinite MP.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Just finished SoP and I feel like everyone who thinks there wasn't a romance between jack and sarah played a different game than me lol

It's pretty explicit that they fell in love in a whole bunch of his visits, he just never remembers

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Put Jack in FF15.
"Did you know that the delicious taste of Cup N-"
"I don't care about Cup Noodles."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

sponges posted:

Did 15 sell poorly or something? It never got any sequels and I hardly hear people talk about it

It got a whole bunch of paid DLC, though, up to 3 years after release.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Is FFX the FF with the strongest art direction? I mean, you see a monster or spell effect divorced from any context and you can immediately tell it's from X just from how it looks

Probably, but it's also dragged down by being peak Nomura. Seymour always looks incredibly stupid, for instance. VII has great environmental art direction, but that's mostly limited to Midgar, and some great character designs -- Sephiroth is an all-timer. I think IX is also really incredible.

I can't stand the techno-magic aesthetic of XIII and its spinoffs, which sucks because that's basically become the Final Fantasy house style.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 26, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Motto posted:

? I wouldn't say that applies to any of the succeeding mainline games. 14 and 16 are both classic fantasy throwbacks and while 15 has a mix that isn't expressed all that strongly imo, it's going for urban fantasy rather than futuristic.

The main antagonists -- Niflheim in 15 and the Imperials in 14 -- both felt very close to 13 aesthetically.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

? They are not even close. Garleans are flat out FF12 + FF6 aside from a few cameos. FF15 has more in common with Shinra than Fal'cie

robots is robots

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

SoP has to be satire. Everything about it is wrong and boring.

The combat is mundane, the "talk to people in the town" is so on the nose "come back now, ya hear" and poo poo you wouldn't hear in an indie rpg game because it's been made fun of for 30 years, the story jumps from one thread to another with sometimes just either a "later" and other times "oh ok, I guess these people who walked up to each other are friends now"

and the characters so strongly deliver lines that are half like, well, close to being google translated

it goes from fighting tiamat, to a tutorial zone, to jack walking outside of town and some dudes showing him their stones and go "friends?" and jack is just like "yeah" then it's just "jack and company did stuff and came back" with no lead up to why anyone should give a poo poo about these people

The camera control is not great, the game looks like rear end, and so far the only thing I like about it is laughing at the game for being bad and sometimes you press O to watch an absurd cutscene like a tower being knocked over or jack opening a wolf's mouth and headbutting it and it explodes in crystal shards. Like, that last two parts is cool. I've been less confused and shocked from a kojima game

If it's any consolation, brain damage is a very important part of the story

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Stranger of Paradise, I'm curious what people's favorite job setups are, since I haven't really been posting here about it at all.

Cyclic Warrior with 400% Black Mage affinity and Lancet, then spamming 9999 damage earthquakes until everything melts

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

FFXII is actually an incredibly difficult game, and I haven't yet found a job combination that can stop me from getting lost in the Great Crystal and eventually giving up and uninstalling

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Barudak posted:

I think you'll find that Fran is in the game because, and I quote, "Bunny girls are hot"

Fran is only hot because the historical figure she's based on was hot tho

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 5, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Chewbacca? :confused:

yeah

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Charged normals with the axe or greatsword work great on tonberries.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Well, once you're about 5 or 6 hours in, FFXIII gets pretty all right.

Yeah. It's also never really gets much better than "pretty alright".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just started X-2 and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. It feels like the game is missing an intro section and a few tutorials.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm about to play FFIX for the first time. I know Moguri Mod is a must, but how is Alternate Fantasy for a first playthrough?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

FF9 thoughts so far: using an autoclicker to cheese the loving jump rope is sweet revenge for my 11-year-old self

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Aerith is gonna live. Zack will save her and it will make me cry a lot

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mandoric posted:

I've been thinking about how some FFs tend to focus on a particular concept in their encounter design.

3, nearly from end to end, is heals turn economy; a boss does a fixed amount of partywide damage per round and your comp is governed (until the endgame and exactly two people worth of endgame weapons without hyperleveling an OK or Karateka) by whether you want to bet that a single healer is enough to survive even boss goes last/boss goes first moments; otherwise it does overwhelming damage to a single target and your comp is governed by whether you want a dedicated Raiser for the dedicated Raiser.
5 is pretty obsessed with the idea of controlling damage focus; it seems like a majority of the bosses fall into the categories of "has a nasty counter", "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed at the same time", or "multiple targets and spirals out of control if not killed one by one".

Are there similar trends in others that I'm missing?

FFXIII is all about using mechanics to stagger the enemy. Then, FFXV was about using mechanics to stagger the enemy. After that was FF7R, which is about using mechanics to stagger the enemy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gologle posted:

Isn't FF16 starring a guy named Claude, or some other stupid name?

it's Clem

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

it's supposed to be "final" fantasy and yet they're releasing an expansion???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Augus posted:

As expected, the DLC adds an extra NG+ difficulty above CHAOS mode, just like the Nioh DLC. The new difficulty is called BAHAMUT mode

Lol, seriously? Chaos mode already loving sucked.