Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really wonder why some people lose their spot in queue more easily than others. I get plenty of 2002s, but even after taking literally more than 10 attempts to reconnect I've never lost any progress, I would have a meltdown if I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Barreft posted:

You'll live. The homeless won't.
Your posts are giving me AIDS though so we'll see if I make it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Have you heard of critically misunderstood MMO The New World? Go try it, we're busy over here

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also it's kind of obvious but having extra rezzes from SMN/RDM can have a huge impact when working through hard content. I think people underrate that stuff sometimes.

Maybe they should give MCH a Defibrillator instant cast rez on a really long cooldown.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The devs included a grind that takes 600,000,000 mettle (30 turn-ins at near the cap) to finish, I don't think they can claim to be surprised players are focusing on the stuff that gives mettle.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BA is a lot more fun than DR normal... once you get in at least.

DR Savage seems pretty cool but I haven't had the chance to give it a serious go.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Argas posted:

I would like to be able to use PFs and such within Eureka and Bozja at least. I know it's due to the way they're implemented as their own instances but it's really a shame that relics are now siphoned off into these places that prevent you from doing other content while you're inside. You can't grind towards the relic without being inside. At least Bozja has many steps where you can make progress in non-Bozja content.
On the other hand, if you haven't made Anima weapons and want to, Eureka and Bozja will give you all the poetics you could ever want, so at least you can kinda multitask in that way. And you will want a shitload of them for those animas.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Argas posted:

Isn't that only if you're level capped?
Nah afaik they are always dropped. Poetics are the non-current-gear-level tome, so they generally never require level cap.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

iPodschun posted:

You can use Bozja/Zadnor to level all the way to 90 if you want. I believe aers said the experience scales up with your level up to 87, but even then the experience gained per skirmish/CE is still very good so you can keep going to 90 if you want.
Pretty sure it doesn't scale after jumping up once at level 80, it's just that it still manages to be good the whole way through. It's just insane in the low 80s.

It's like 345,000 xp per skirmish from 80-90 I believe.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

In novice network last night, I described the effect as creating a PF with an aspirational description of what part of the fight you're on. They seemed to like that phrasing.
When I was PFing e8s, I noticed someone had up a PF for it with the [Duty Complete] requirement, description "Clear for one, then farm"... but they were the only person in it. The entire day while I was working on the fight, I'd check back and they still had it up, with no one taking the bait for several hours.

The next day I looked them up on fflogs out of curiosity and they had managed to get their clear that night.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sage unlock is full of spodles, sorry

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

The xp difference between winning and losing a Frontline is irrelevant, don't stress out, just follow your group around and shoot people
But winning gets you progress on mount and glam rewards, which makes it utterly essential

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Chairman posted:

[*]Ostensibly Special Timeworn Map - exclusive to the event, a version of the Kumbhiraskin map that guarantees a portal to the treasure dungeon
Additional note about these, they're stackable unlike the normal Unique maps. If you're really grindlording or want to go for map dungeon achievements or whatever, having a huge stack of these will be much easier to manage than constantly shuffling around inventory stuff between retainers/chocobo/etc. (even if you have 8 retainers you can only have like 11 normal maps at any one time so you can get screwed by the marketboard)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Twibbit posted:

Something that is confusing me on fishing, most guides to catch specific fish mention the tug it requires, but how helpful is that since I have to catch if I get a tug right? or else I just waste the bait. Is there a way to ignore a tug? or are people just letting themselves have to recast to save on GP?
You ignore the tug by ignoring the tug. :--)

Surface Slap is a super important buff that lets you prevent a given type of fish being hooked, until your next catch; this often lets you drastically increase the odds of catching your target fish. If you reel in a random bite you'll lose that buff, but if you let every wrong bite go you can maintain it until you get the bite you're looking for.

Same for the prize catch buff, but that's generally far less crucial than surface slap which is a total game changer for a lot of rare fish.

Also aside from that, hooking the fish takes longer than letting it go (especially for medium or big tugs), and on some fish you really want to get every possible cast in during the limited window.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 24, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It would be amazing if you could get some kind of locked perspective options in housing to make like certain theme things like that work. Wouldn't make much sense at all for this game but.... I can dream.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hopefully the BLM pvp skill is that they stand still casting for a full minute and if they ever finish the cast they kill the entire enemy team and win instantly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If the other players (including healer) are doing crappy DPS then the packs will just take too long and you'll start to get worn down, maybe that's been causing you trouble.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

-someone said purify is meant to be making you immune to debuffs for a few seconds after use? haha how did that bug get through testing
Please be careful to read all ability descriptions. Purify does grant immunity, but only when activating it actually purged a debuff in the first place. You can't just use it premptively.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The one frustrating thing I've encountered, I think, is that there's a split second between the cleanse and the immunity buff going up, so if you manage to get stunned right after you press the button you can get totally screwed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Also things like the Frontier set is also ungender locked now
you dang woke ungender people get all the cool stuff

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm getting to some reasonably high level games and it's definitely giving me flashbacks of my old Dota addiction. Super easy to keep playing "just one more game," but it's really nice that the game length is short and usually not subject to insane variation.

It's wild how spread apart the fights can get, and how chasing someone all the way across the map and deep into their base can actually be the correct move at times.

I've been focusing on MCH which people seem to generally agree is in a good place strength wise, but mostly I'm just impressed by the design of it. It really feels like the coolest version of what I imagine the Machinist to be, 'cause I've never really been impressed with how it feels to play in PvE stuff. It's so versatile, and hitting a boosted Bioblaster on a full enemy party is insanely satisfying.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh also I finally looked downward off the edge of the windy island CC map and it's a really amazing setting. Kinda dizzying.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I've had matches go on for like 10 minutes after overtime started. Someone from my FC had the same 50%/50% issue creating a draw as well. I can't find anything in the rules either that seems to indicate that overtime is limited.
It will never end as long as the losing team is on the crystal, but I think the issue is when there is no "losing team" after some time limit. Honestly it's pretty weird and especially frustrating while ranking up because a Draw will end your win streak.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's nothing sadder than seeing the enemy DRG jump away, trying to spam "fall back!!" to warn your team, and then watching them get asploded

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Hey, don't undersell your luck like that!

They rolled a 5%!
The Chainsaw tooltip disagrees with the Analyze tooltip about that %, not sure which is actually right.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CJ posted:

I really like the system of win streaks and not losing stars when you're at the bottom of a division. It means that over time people should slowly climb with an even win/loss ratio. The problem with most ranked systems is that most people plateau in skill fairly quickly then rarely deviate from that level. The way the system is set up there's still incentive to play even when you plateau because you just need a win streak, and the floors at each division will help relieve ladder anxiety.
My issue with this is that it means once you reach crystal, the final rank, there's pretty much no hope of actually balancing matches through matchmaking. Since the ranking system basically forces people upward as long as they play enough matches (and are, you know, having the average skill of a random player), the Crystal ranking means basically nothing.

I'm giving up on ranked pvp completely because 95% of my matches are becoming complete stomps, and it's not particularly engaging whether I win or lose. I got handed something like a 12-win streak last night, where matches were just completely obviously over about 30 seconds in almost every time, and today had an equivalent losing streak that felt equally random. There's certainly stuff they can fix in terms of class balance and those tweaks will be welcome but besides that I expect the matches to continue to have absurd ranges of player skill that make them play out in very stupid ways.

It'll still be fundamentally a super fun pvp mode for casual matches but man it's weird at the high levels.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's a rating you get at crystal, and after a long enough time I guess that will be able to function as a "true mmr" type thing. For now though the system is still making some extremely weird choices at times, and there are just a ton of new people reaching the rank all the time and it's extremely chaotic. And like, since you can't go below Crystal 0, someone who's lost 50 matches at the bottom of Crystal is probably not weighted all that differently from someone who's won and lost an equal amount.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Stacking damage buff, each 20 points on the bar is 10% extra damage. You get 10 for a kill, 2 for an "assist" (I'm not sure exactly what the requirement for that is)
Assists just require that you've done damage to someone within some time period before they're killed by someone else on your team (like... somewhere between 5-15 seconds I think). In big 3-way fights if you're not getting them it's usually because the third team sniped the kill.

edit: I'm like 85% sure Battle High does not affect limit break damage but I can't really find confirmation

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 26, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

Does anyone know of any good MNK guides (PvE)? I want to like it but I'm not entirely sure where everything fits and it feels clunky and unintuitive for me. When I do Blitz and such?
Basically use Riddle of Fire every time it's available, and only Blitz during that buff. Before you have access to RoF, just Blitz whenever it's available. There's lots of weird optimization and nitpicky stuff for monks to do in hard content, but you can do extremely well by basically using your 3 main buffs (Riddle of Fire, Riddle of Wind, and Brotherhood) every time they're available. You should never be using Celestial Revolution, that's basically your "oops I hosed up" Blitz result, you always want to be doing either 3 of the same Chakra type or 3 different ones when getting your Lunar and Solar Nadi. When getting the Lunar Nadi (i.e. using 3 of the same Chakra type and then casting Elixir Field), you always want to get those 3 by alternating Dragon Kick and buffed Bootshine.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 29, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

boloney posted:

You always blitz when it's available. RoF always lines up with your Tornado Kick/Phantom Rush anyways
Blitz's cooldown (per charge) is 40s and RoF's is 60s, so you have to hold Blitz for use with your RoF. Or am I missing something?

e: I'd say the way it actually nicely lines up is that as long as you use RoF on cooldown every time, you'll never be stuck sitting at 2 charges of Blitz for any significant amount of time. You definitely don't want to use it every single time a charge is available though, and you also don't want to wait until it has 2 every time.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 29, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Er yeah, I meant Perfect Balance. Honestly the naming scheme and extra stuff, Perfect Balance + Masterful Blitz (3 types) + Lunar/Solar Nadi looks extremely confusing at first for what's actually going on.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In my experience The Balance is generally full of 1) terrible assholes and/or 2) people who will spend 50 hours practicing (or just theorycrafting) a special opener that theoretically can result in a .1% dps gain while never learning to work their normal rotation into basic mechanics, and die to greed constantly

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CC sure is fun

What's that? The red team happened to have someone near the top rank on Primal? hmm must be a coincidence

edit: and again!

They pressed a few more buttons, must have realized they were being too obvious.... except only 23k self-healing means they managed to not pop recuperate more than once the whole match. Got a few queue pops that got instantly declined too as the thrower and throwee probably saw they didn't pop at the same moment.

e2: oh weird they remembered how to play when in a third match, not against their friend

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 30, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I did, it's the first time I've seen it be that blatant. Honestly I'd be surprised if SE actually does anything, but who knows. From what I understand this kind of match-fixing behavior has been insanely common forever in the Feast, and I'm pretty sure it was always against the rules.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

jesus christ SE, let me store the garo gear in the armory. You just gonna poo poo gear all over me like this and I got no place to put it
After getting the title, you can always re-buy the gear from the Calamity Salvager for like... 7,000 gil a set I think. So I just delete them.

e: oh I couldn't remember if it's the title or the individual gear purchase, but well, get the titles anyway

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That person has made a lot of very helpful ffxiv fishing guides and is therefore Cool

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is also an in game way to check if you're doing enough damage to do content as it stands. Whatever your current DPS is is secondary to can you do damage good enough to kill a thing.
Eh... a ton of players practice openers and stuff ad nauseum but actually executing stuff during mechanics is an entirely different beast. I imagine a lot of people have no clue how much dps they're actually doing during real fights, and I bet for many players it's way worse than their SSS performance.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Right, but if you can do SSS then it becomes a matter of executing that rotation during mechanics. Which you don't need a dps meter to tell you whether you're able to do that or not.
But in group content with strangers how will anyone know who the problem is? And like... for a lot of people, I think they absolutely need a dps meter to tell them how well they're executing the thing during mechanics. I certainly can't gauge it very accurately myself. The whole problem is that you're extremely distracted.

e: I guess when I'm referring to a dps meter I mean looking at my parses afterwards, not watching the number real-time. But still, I often have a vague or sometimes outright incorrect sense of how well I did from pull to pull. It is very helpful to see numbers that explain what I actually was doing rather than just knowing I can theoretically clear a target dummy.

Martman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2022

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Anyone that even remotely cares about how they're doing has probably stumbled on the information needed to have a decent rotation, or has checked out if they have logs uploaded by someone else.
I mostly don't disagree with you, but by far some of the most toxic players I've ever encountered in the game are insanely rude and entitled Party Finder Savage raiders who are absolutely garbage at pretty much every level of the game. I don't think dps meters or really anything will help them because they're just awful people, just saying I have definitely run across the kind of people who very much Care how they're doing, but only in the sense that they assume they're god gamers and want everyone to know it. It would feel good personally to give them a reality check but also I don't think it would accomplish much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

What do you need to know other than that?
Is the bottom DPS doing 90% as much as the next person, or 25%? One of those is normal and the other is real bad, but you often can't tell from the threat meters.