Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thoughts on what jobs I've hit level 90 with so far:

Monk: In a real good spot, I like that Perfect Balance -> Masterful Blitz changes and how flexible you can be about doing them, and I really like how your usage of Perfect Balance shifts as much as it does as you go through different level ranges.

Scholar: Still good, though I feel the Whispering Dawn nerf pretty hard. Expedient is nice for helping your group cover longer distances in between pulls faster and will be a fun utility to kill people with once I have access to more death walls.

Summoner: It took a bit to re-arrange my hotbars for this one but the end result is surprisingly fun to play and it's a real summoner now and not just a DoT mage and it rules.

Next up to level is Gunbreaker and the one-button Gnashing Fang combo is the best thing in the world and really helped clean up my hotbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arist posted:

It's not the case. To my recollection the Exarch explicitly was only trying to pull the WoL but kept missing.

To be fair he was locked in the Crystal Tower back when accuracy was still a sub stat people needed to pay attention to and the WoL is easily 20 levels higher than his level 50 accuracy.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I finished all of the DoW/DoM ShB relics before Endwalker dropped.

But delaying the DoH/DoL ShB relics until Endwalker dropped is paying off now that I can Trained Eye all but the last step!

Mwuhahahahahaha!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Whenever things seem dire in FFXIV remember: you could always be playing Wildstar instead.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I would be happy if the 6.x patches were nothing more high stakes than a romp around the world, looking for shiny new dresses to wear, strange new gods to kill, and even bigger fish to catch.

There will probably be some big fancy story hook, but there's a lot of potential places one could lead to.

This is what I'm looking forward to and why I'm glad they jammed as much into Endwalker as they did instead of splitting things across multiple patches/expansions. The overarching story up until this point is great, sure, but I'm so done with it and I'm looking forward to something entirely new with the patch content.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

People REALLY have strong feelings about that one, though. There's a whole thread on the official forums about how it's the worst thing in XIV.

(Level 83 solo duty related) I absolutely loved this section because it scratched an itch in the back of my head from my FFXI days about being a relatively squishy character surrounded by threats that could basically end me if they saw me. I found out what the duty was about, thought "Ok, I played FFXI and went through all of Eureka. I need to avoid aggroing anything. I've got this." and then I saw there was a time limit and it got kicked up a notch.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Well since people are posting spoilers in this thread, gently caress it, I'll share my joke from the other thread. Spoilers through Level 87 MSQ:

Hermes: "i have made a von Neumann probe"
Emet-Selch: "you hosed up a perfectly good bird is what you did. look at it. it's got anxiety"

I just ugly laughed so hard. Thank you for posting it here too.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cutedge posted:

Is it bad that I'm just considering making an alt in the EU datacenter at this point since getting online on Primal is so stupid? Does the cross continent lag just make the game impossible?

According to some comments in a Discord I'm in, the EU servers are worse right now. Getting into this game is rough right now worldwide unless you can log in real early and stay logged in. An extra character on another data center won't help right now.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

"Ok I finished leveling my DoH/DoL jobs and crafting new gear for them. I can log off so other people can play."

And then the servers die anyway. I should have stayed logged in. :sigh:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Vermain posted:

I believe they also mention in that same talk that the Limsa Lominsa opening cutscene with the giant fish monster would outright crash some people's clients with out-of-memory errors because of how absurdly, insanely detailed it was in both textures and skeletal complexity.

I don't know about crashes, but back when the 1.0 beta was running and the benchmark was launched, my PC was incredibly insufficient to run the game even at minimum settings.

So I dipped my toes into overclocking my PC for the first time to try and hit even a playable framerate and, uh...guess which scene in the benchmark caused my power supply to give up due to the voltage increase and take the rest of my system with it? :shepicide:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Draxion posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about ships

Nodosaur posted:

Magnai's entire character is being arrogant and trying to get laid, so I took it as implied.

Let's be real: Magnai and any ships related to him are probably as successful as the Titanic. Just like his love life.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Stop, you're making Alisaie too powerful. Now she might survive casting a LB for a change.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Heart of Corundum upgrade GNB gets is really good.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol a friend linked me a clip that took me through twitches algorithm and sent me to DEs community mangers channel, Rebecca, going through Endwalker and drat this lady gets emotional. Full on ugly crying during some scenes. Space Mom :qq:

I think this is what irks me about some Twitch streamers trying to take advantage of FFXIV's popularity recently. Not any one particular streamer, but a whole lot of them completely overreact to everything in this game and just repost those clips everywhere, inevitably flooding my Youtube feed with clips of them overreacting. Worse, other third party channels compile all of those clips into additional videos chock full of no-names overreacting to otherwise mundane moments in the story.

I mean, yeah, this game is real good and hits all the right emotions, but no, you don't need to go full on bawling at minor story beats.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 3, 2022

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So for anyone looking to cap culinarian desynth for, uh, reasons? There's a new fish introduced with Endwalker, righteye flounder, that is dirt cheap on the MB atm and will take you all the way to 580 really easily.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Has anyone ever used a tank/healer LB1 or 2 to appreciable effect

Ironically enough I just got out of tanking the level 85 dungeon for leveling roulette. We were on the last boss and it was a grim situation. The healer (a scholar) and the DPS (a reaper and, thankfully, a red mage) were dropping left and right, ending up in a raise loop because they didn't know about raise invuln. We finally got everyone up while I'm standing still licking heart of corundum like rock candy and the boss starts casting a raidwide while everyone else is still sitting at post-raise HP levels.

The healer, otherwise resourceless and even without a fairy out, dropped healer LB2 to bring their HP high enough so they could survive it and we managed to drag everyone to the end for a clear.

I was half expecting to have to solo the rest of the fight on my own.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I decided to try pentamelding and haha this is awful.

Don't worry, in two or three patches this will end up being the only way that you feel alive.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

TGLT posted:

i hate pentamelds so bad

I have come to accept that pentamelding crafting/gathering gear is the only thing that makes me feel alive.

[Edit] I don't even craft to sell things on the market board anymore.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 7, 2022

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Thundarr posted:

XIV healers in savage are basically bonus DPS that keep everybody from dying after unavoidable damage. And new savage tiers are always a fun time learning which new attacks hurt the most and require extra mitigation. The O4S first timer phase transition experience didn't end when he became targetable again, it was when Almagest hit and there was a chorus of HOLY poo poo in voice.

XIV healers outside savage are bonus DPS that sometimes drop a heal on the main tank or cast a shield before an ult.

A good time to repost this video because of how messed up that part was as a healer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWNJOPiC8o

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

So what’s the deal with levequests this time around, now that triple turnins are gone? Just level, then basically forget about them? Or are there any that basically print money for no great effort after you get everything to 90, like coffee biscuits and mythril files?

I feel like tsai tou vounou leves are probably as close as you'll get to the coffee biscuit leve? Can get about a mil from a full stack of 100 leves but prices for them aren't so low that you can just buy them off of the market board and flip them for a zero effort profit.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

what I wanna know is who is buying all the drat materia there can't be that many pentameld crafters

People who are still working on pentamelding their crafting/gathering gear, or people who are stockpiling materia for when the next sets of gear get released.

The number of crafters throwing themselves at endgame crafts is kind of ludicrous at the moment. You should have seen the crafting/gathering isle in Radz-at-han on patch day when the new crafted gear was introduced.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

All hail smooth rock.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Are we still sharing character art commissions? Because I just got one back that I've been waiting for and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. :allears:

(Artist is https://twitter.com/PG__Animation/)

Idea was spawned from the following quip on discord:

Feo Ul with a gun is inspired.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Yes, if you target an enemy with Holmgang and they die, you still lose the buff.

Haha wait wha-

:stare:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Sitting here glad that I'll never have to set foot into CLL/DR/DAL ever again because I finished all of the ShB relics.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Spoiler: they didn't get Khloe next week ever

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The one unfortunate thing about coming into a game this late is that I'm missing, like, nine years of memes and in-jokes

Are you playing DRG or RDM as your primary job?

No you're not.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mulva posted:

I mean there was one legit lingering question of "Why the hell were the three unsundered guys unsundered?". And that got an answer so.....that's good.

The sundering happened well before Accuracy was removed from the game. There were bound to be a few misses here or there. :v:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CJ eat the eggs do the job quests.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Hey guys it looks like I got my DirectX 11 error 11000002 sorted out. I wrote a long rear end post dedicated to the error over in the 'EffortPost Your Favorites' thread. Shoutout to Theophany here who predicted the correct fix.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3955050&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post522057114

Highlight:

I absolutely love that effort post and that you landed on similar work arounds/solutions that I did with the error. I experienced the 11000002 error for the first time back when I first upgraded from an NVIDIA 980 to an NVIDIA 1080 Ti (factory overclocked by Gigabyte) and got around it (for the most part) by underclocking the card by exactly 212 Mhz so it would match factory stock clock speeds. I would still get the occasional crash but they were extremely rare after applying the underclock. Upgrading to an NVIDIA 3080 stopped the crash from happening entirely and its been smooth sailing since.

There was also a brief period in time between the 1080 Ti and 3080 where I was rolling with a Titan V and it turns out that card actually made the problem worse. Then the watercooling loop I was using to cool it died in the middle of gameplay, the card cooked itself and it was back to the 1080 Ti. :shepface:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

One of you rich 2.0 materia barons buy the calydontis horn I have for sale so I can stop camping the market board for undercutters like a hawk.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

gently caress, I was screaming internally the whole time progging that as a healer. I can't wrap my head around doing it with just one.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

This is an impossible task, but I wish there was a way to crack down on people who buy houses but do nothing with them. Every ward has a least a couple houses with completely empty lots and completely empty insides. They don't even dump furniture in them, they just have a house they do nothing with. Like... what's the point?

I'm guilty of this. I relocated from my plot in the Mists to Shirogane, then saw another plot in Shirogane with better MB access and relocated there...after having spent a month decorating the previous plot. My yard is decorated again but I couldn't bring myself to re-float everything in my new plot and it's basically been empty inside for a couple years.

But hey now I'm in a lottery for a medium plot in the Ishgard housing zone so if it goes in my favor maybe I'll have justification to actually do something with it? :shepface:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

Chewy you put up for sale in the Ul'dah markets has sold for 28,500,000 gil (after fees).

Thank you ten retainers.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The new PvP mode rules.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

That's what the golden mikoshi mount is for.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Imagine if they made a fancy penthouse apartment as a huge gil sink instead of gold mounts

I would abandon my small plot in a heartbeat if I could upgrade an apartment to a small/medium house sized area and it was given a tiny rear end balcony for me to display my PotD trophies, even if I was the only one that could see them.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Fam.

Same.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hommando posted:

You can rent my house for 1.2m gil a month. No Namazu vendors allowed.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait there's an actual in game jail?

They even used it for a seasonal event once!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Tataru strictly listens to an uncompressed .WAV of Ozzy Osbourne biting the head off of a bat on loop.

She reminds Estinien of this every time she t-poses to assert dominance towards him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Krile offered to compress the .WAV to .FLAC for Tataru on several occasions. She refused.

This intimidates Estinien.