Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

theironjef posted:

Yeah, I find myself missing hearing "HOOOO! HIDEY HOOOO!" which is weird.

Good news! If you get the mount for having all the ShB Ex trial mounts, you can listen to it whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I took this several days ago but have only finally gotten around to catching up with the new thread. I heard we were posting shots of the moment? (Endgame spoilers below)

I love how blatant it is that it's the new Screenshot Moment.

Also if you haven't, you all should look into setting up a rotating desktop wallpaper from all the screenshots you've taken from across the game. It's a nice surprise occasionally looking over and seeing a screenshot from like 5 years ago that you'd completely forgotten about.

I vote that this becomes the Screenshot Moment instead

(final Endwalker MSQ

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Popoto posted:

But that’s not a cosmic horror for me. It’s just life. Things die out. It’s normal. We’re all gonna die here too. Humanities days are counted, whether it’s a century or a millennia more. The explanation rings hollow for me. I get that many might find the natural order horrific, including the writers most likely for making Meteion the big bad that way (as it seems for now), but that’s where I get pulled out of my immersion.

It feels a bit rushed, and not as thought out as the story in ShB. In any case, I’ll be back once I finish the expansion with my thoughts on the whole thing, including the previous expansions. Maybe things will fit better once I have the whole picture.

It wasn't just "things die, how sad". Meteion found that even the beings that reached immortality decided that killing themselves was a better option than continuing to exist.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

While we’re on the subject, can someone repost that amazing twitter thread that reveals how a significant part of XIV:s backend is literally run on a huge Excel sheet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/perchbird_/status/1323098438041559045

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So one of the 'beast tribes' for this expac are definitely going to be (EX dungeon and final zone spoilers):The bar at the end of existance, right?

The final zone also has one island in the middle that needs to be revealed individually on the map, but is completely empty. It's highly likely that they'll use that for some kind of future content.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zadnor's layout sucks (most fates are far apart and far from the teleports). Which leads to people exclusively sitting in the middle of zone 3 until a fate is up nearby and idling otherwise.

Leveling in the Southern Front map can be a lot faster, especially if you bring a bunch of the Lodestone skill which instantly teleports you to the start.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Draxion posted:

The only gatherer you really shouldn't use leves for is FSH. Just sit at one fishing hole and get your 300k xp per large fish until you can do the next studium quest, then sit at the pond it sends you to.

5 Ocean Fishing trips + the studium quests were enough to get me from 80 to 90 and gave me thousands of white scrips, no need to grind random fish.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Augus posted:

P4 ruled
we’re just straight-up fighting Dracula now

And the minion is Nosferatu

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I have two ideas on how to fix the lota strippers.

The first one being to just completely decouple ilevel from the first raid in every xpac series, so even if you queue naked you can still catch Void Ark / Rab / Copied factory.

The second is to completely decouple the CT raids from ADR and put them in msqdr instead.

Like, I get that some people just want to be able to breeze through lota and not have to critically engage with anything, but I also want to have some level of variety when I run roulette and that variety explicitly gets taken away when all I get is non stop lota by one or two people stripping down who don't want to think. Like, people would be bitching and complaining nonstop if LDR would give you Satasha 95% of the time because people found out some trick to always force it.

Like, at a certain point it becomes "fix ADR stripping and people like cythreal stop queueing" or don't fix it and people like me stop queueing, and I'm basically already at the latter. No matter what someone is unhappy.

The third one would be to scale the roulette rewards to your ilvl instead of your character level. That way you can still force CT raids if you really want to, but you only get rewards that would be good for a lvl 50-ish character.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gearhead posted:

I wonder how much of SAM damage is based off of having a DNC in the party. :v:

None, that's the whole point of the rDPS number. It substracts the damage given by dancer buffs from the SAM and adds it to the DNC

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Begemot posted:

That's apocryphal, it had way too many polygons but not THAT many.

The 'flowerpot had as many polygons as a character' was from their own presentation at GDC, not something people made up
https://www.vg247.com/final-fantasy-14s-focus-on-visuals-hurt-end-product-yoshida-explains-how-it-bounced-back

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Finally make it to the top of the Kugane tower, server error, log back in, I've lost some progress, try to jump back up, fall, life is pain.

Can you cheat the tower with the resper teleport now? (Place portal, try jump, teleport back)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

placing the portal requires yeeting yourself in a direction already so no

But you could port forward against a wall, which should place it at your position.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

i have dragon sight bound to middle mouse button, which lets me click someone from the team list and tab back in a single gcd. still a pain in the rear end for add phases and bosses so large you can't tab target them at most camera angles, but it works everywhere else

Bind a button to "assist target" instead, which targets your target's target (i.e. the boss).
Very useful when playing a healer.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KoB posted:

It removes their map marker if theyve been defeated/gotten all the cards, doesnt it?

There is a different marker for 'NPC has not been defeated yet' and 'NPC has been defeated, but still has a card you need'. You still get the first icon, if you already have the card.
The problem is, that the icon does not show if the NPC wants you to do a quest first to unlock playing them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

What’s the usual recommendation for grinding the limited tomestones for someone who also wants to level alt jobs? Already did all of my daily roulettes except for main scenario and leveling.

An hour of the new treasure map dungeons. Those things drop crazy amounts of tomestones, so I'm already capped for the week.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If I’m level 83 and already the msq has gone here… what happens for the rest of the story

Roughly halfway though the game, the narrator says something to the tune of "you have so many sights left to see", and he is very right

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

Speaking of spiritbonding, what's the best way to go about it for crafters? Do I just wanna quick synth a shitload of level 88 mats with a bunch of passive +spiritbond poo poo, or am I better off macro crafting level 90 non-master stuff?

Yes, quicksynth.

- Put 5 materia in each piece of gear, because those increase spiritbond gain by 20% each. Just grab what is cheap, you can put in Piety or whatever, as long as the slot is filled
- Get all the buffs (potion, food, FC-buff / GC scroll (those two don't stack))

Now each quicksynth item will get you close to 1% spiritbond, so a full stack of 99 is almost enough to get you one set of materia.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

We've already fought the Lord (of the Inferno, Whorl, Mist, Hive, Revel), the Creator ('s Eyes, breath, Heart and Soul), and Alpha & Omega (They're friends now) and they all require different openers because they're different level fights :colbert:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Magres posted:

How do I not suck at Lost Actions? I'm pretty lost looking at this giant fuckoff menu of weird abilities

Always have one of the damage boosting Essences active (whatever is available for your class) and you're already doing better than the majority of people at the cost of a single item per instance.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So I was investigating why our WHM died on our first P2S clear (The answer: server ticks killed her, because she was the only one who got the tank LB3 after the damage was already locked in).
But now I have another question:
What are those other numbers?

As far as I can tell, U is unmitigated, M is mitigated, B is blocked and O is probably Overkill, but what does A mean?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, that's probably it.
Everyone who got the first knockback arrows already used up their shields, so only the 4 other people still had shields left at that point.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats! P2S, in my opinion, is easier than P1S. But that might also be because we've had more practice on P2S since it took us longer to clear. My new static is in week two of playing together. We're on P3S now. Last night it took us some time to reclear P1S, but P2S we did in three to four wipes total.

We did the same yesterday. Spent almost exactly an hour trying to reclear P1S, then did P2S on the second pull.

Kyrosiris posted:

:psyduck:

Channeling Overflow -> Coherence is more complicated than any mechanic in P1S.

We just Tank LB3 that. The damage check isn't very tight if no one dies. We killed it at 9:46, and the enrage is at 10:30, so you really don't need the LB for damage in this fight.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I also tried healing with a controller for the first time (with my Astrologian, which is my lowest level healing job at 42). Ended up having some close calls because it was Sastasha and the tank was extremely aggressive with huge pulls (being a super-early dungeon is ironically harder to heal in some ways, since I don't have any tools, though it would have still been easy if not for the huge pulls).

I think the biggest benefit to using a controller is that I'm not having to use the same fingers for both movement and actions. On keyboard the difference between movement and action is "moving my middle finger up a centimeter from W to press a number," whereas I can devote my thumbs entirely to movement on controller. Long cooldowns have a distinctly different "feel" to them, since they're on the double-tap L2/R2 buttons, shorter cooldown OGCDs (or things that consume some resource) will usually be on the D-pad buttons, etc. The only thing that I'd say is objectively worse than kb+m is skills that require targeting an area. That's often a pain in the rear end compared with just "aiming my mouse at thee point" and I don't know if there's really a universal solution to it. Fortunately skills that do that aren't that common.
Sastasha taught me why you should not remove Cure1 from your hotbars (you literally have no other heal as WHM at that level).

For KB&M movement, I use pressing both left and right mouse button to move forward a lot (might need the legacy camera setting?).
That's often enough to get you where you need to be, so you only need to use WASD for more precise movement.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 24, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ither posted:

I'm only at 81, but Endwalker Astro feels worse than Shadowbringers Astro for me.

If I already have three different seals am I not suppose to play cards anymore?

No, you're supposed to use Astrodyne. Losing seals (and even full uses of Astrodyne) is a lot worse than not using it at the ~perfect moment~.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Onean posted:

Yup. All of the Phys. Ranged AoE gets better at 2+ instead of 3+ like everyone else.

All healers except WHM are 2+ as well now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

admanb posted:

that wouldn't affect parse %. FFLogs doesn't need to know how much damage abilities do to calculate your DPS and compare it to everyone else.

:eng101:
It actually does, but only for DoTs. The game doesn't report back the damage for each individual dot, it only reports 'this tick, the boss took X damage from all dots together' and FFLogs does some math to assign that damage to individual players.
That's how this happened:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KihraOfTemerity/status/1484166023167287300

The new dot at the end of the Confiteor combo and Goring Blade can't stack, but FFlogs assumed they do, so Paladins who played wrong stole some of the dot DPS from their party members.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 27, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Fair, I had a lot of fun optimising my rotation for every mechanics combo personally but I can see how others wouldn't like it.

WHM is perfectly fine as baby's first healer. It could use a few buffs to make it a bit more competitive with the other healers in Savage content but it's not so dire that it can't perform functionally in it either.

WHM is probably the worst healer to play first, because it teaches you bad habits that you have to unlearn (Freecure, no OGCD heals before lvl 60 except for Benediction, which causes Elixir syndrome).
And that's even if you actually read all your tooltips, which many people don't seem to do, so they think Cure 3 is a better Cure 2, and Mediaca 2 is something that you spam, instead of letting the heal tick :smithicide:.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

We always use our knockback immunity for Shift, even if there is no knockback this time.
It helps with consistency, and water before the Shift is easy enough to do without immunity while keeping melee uptime.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

doing water->fire without kb immunity sounds like a pain

The trick is playing a sage who can gapclose together with a tank and 2 melees :v:

E: That is: Pull the boss to the side. Sage, tank and 2 melee get knocked away from the boss and gapclose. The others get knocked through the boss towards the wall and stay there.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 4, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

WHM are very salty right now because there's one ability in p3s that's an ordeal if your group has a WHM but that an AST can completely bypass by pressing Macrocosmos.
I'm Sage, with a WHM co-healer and the ordeal is "having to cast Cure3 twice".
That, together with a buffed Pneuma is enough to top off everyone but one tank, who gets an extra OGCd heal from me (the other tank is a Warrior)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Between that and Fourfold, P1S feels like a fight that punishes impatience and jumpiness specifically. :v:

Also the in/out + left/right + color during Shining Cells :argh:.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

(Also, small addendum: depending on how psycho you are with your DPSing, you may want to preshield yourself along with the tank during pulls, since Kardia will unavoidably nab aggro before the tank has a chance to AoE if you're running alongside the pull putting out E.Dosis or Eukrasia.)

And that's a good thing, because not only do you get an extra Toxikon cast (stronger than the regular AoE), it's also damage that does not go to the tank and does not need to be healed (if they get the mobs off you eventually)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

i will force every ranged dps, at gun point, to play white mage and/or scholar for a month, just so i can purposefully stand one step outside their asylums and sacred soils

I switched from WHM to Sage, and the other healer in my static switched to WHM, and I was shocked to find out that Asylum is invisible if you turn party spell effects to limited or off.
And there is no way that I'm leaving the full effects on after the Summoner changes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

asylum and sacred soil, along with offensive puddles like doton and salted earth, still show on Limited. they're possibly invisible if you turn effects to Off, at which point you're still trolling your healers, or if you're tank the ninja putting down doton

Weird, I tried it again, and at least my own effects it's visible on limited now :shrug:. I'll experiment some more next raid night.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Fiye posted:

Hope you enjoy Pinax

Laarning P4S (first half) was a lot easier than P3S.
The difficult thing (Pinax) is very close to the start, and once you can consistently do all 4 possible patterns, you'll easily get to enrage without any further roadblocks after that.

Tekopo posted:

Like I know I'm gonna face them in P4S, but playing a tank and having to deal with tethers in P3S exclusively was really annoying. I don't think tethers are a very good mechanism: they were annoying in SoSEX and they are just as annoying now.

If you don't like tethers, I have bad news about the second half of P4S...
(but to be fair, it's the other kind of tether, more like Patch in O12S, if you've seen that)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 1, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind those tethers: the ones I'm specifically referring to are the boss tethers that target either a random or closest player, and that you can pick up by moving between the boss and the tethered player. They never felt good and people, especially in PFs, seem to switch off their brain if they get them. There have been more than a few times in P3S where I had to chase DPS down to grab a tether because they decided to run away, or (even worse), I can't pick them up at all because they decided to plant themselves right in the middle of the boss.

The first half of P4S has those as well :v:
You solve it the same way you should have solved it in P3S: Everyone who does not want to have a tether stacks at a specified point, everyone who does want a tether stacks between the boss and those players, once you can see that there are no more tethers going to the "does not want tethers" group, the tether people can spread without taking tethers away from each other.

e: Also, place the stack point on the flank/back line, because if you don't your melee players will ruin everything.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 1, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Pinax is the only mechanic my group is still struggling with, four weeks into reclears

Its more like sixteen distinct patterns: lightning/water first, fire/poison first, cape or sword, and then the final multiplier is whether he teleports next to the active tile or not (doesn't matter so much for fire but is a big deal for poison). There's just a lot that can go wrong.

The way we do it, it's really only 4 patterns:
- Lightning/Fire
- Lightning/Poison
- Water/Fire
- Water/Poison

If it's water first, do not use your knockback invuln (you lose one GCD at most, but probably none).
Then, always run to where he jumps to, and always use the knockback invuln on the way there (even if it's not water third or cape). You already know which tile is unsafe (because it's the opposite of the first element), so don't be there.
Poison last does not matter, you have forever to spread.

Always doing the same thing made that mechanic a lot easier than having to think whether it was okay to use invuln or not / where to stand for sword or cape.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 1, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am still upset SE hasn't done Moogle gear for the new jobs

yes, Moogle weapons for Sage please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

For Monk does anything top the Emperor's New Fist for weapon glams?

Kettle Knuckles Nexus