Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Are there any guides to how PF markers are set up in NA? I tried EX6 as my first extreme a few days ago and it took me getting yelled at to figure out what each one meant (clock spots, light parties, partners). I've got it now but I imagine other fights have different setups.

Edit: I specifically mean the pre-pull setup markers. During the fight I have no problem figuring out which marker goes with which mechanic.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Dawntrail better be good because YoshiP asked me to upgrade my CPU and I won't stand for wiping in Savage PF in anything less than 4K@60FPS

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Just a few weeks ago I barely knew what a setup marker for clock spots was and now I'm gettting stuck in reclear trap parties like a champ. Progress!

I swear every P9S clear party is at best a meteors prog.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
If anyone gets salty about failing mechanics in normal raids/dungeons/trials that you've never seen before they're a jerk in my opinion. However, as far as harder content goes I can say that progging savage this tier has made me a better player overall. It's a lot easier to read an Alliance Raid boss when you've seen the mechanics elsewhere and this boss is giving you 5 whole seconds to react rather than snapshotting you for not standing in your spot.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Bruceski posted:

No offence if you're the one having an issue, but how do you get stuck at meteors? That feels very straightforward to me. People unable to agree whether support or dps do puddle first?

The biggest issue I see on meteors is someone in the second lightning group doesn't line up the lightning fast enough and clips a meteor which is a guaranteed wipe. I know a lot of guides say things like "if your group can clear Levinstrike you can clear the fight" and my guess is people believe that without actually knowing how to do meteors or Chimeric Succession.

Edit to add: I almost forgot my favorite: joining a Duty Complete party only to zone in and see "One or more party members have yet to complete this duty". Guess which party member can't even get past martialist?

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 10, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Anybody have any good guides about maintaining GCD uptime on BLM? I am stuck around ~90% pretty consistently but I just can't seem to get above that. A lot of my downtime is just adjusting to mechanics/PF so maybe I just need to put in the hours?

Edit: If the answer is study XIVAnalysis I'm already there but I could use some pointers about what to look for.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 3, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Xun posted:

I would honestly recommend asking in the balance discord and sharing a good log. In my experience they've always been super helpful and have actually combed through some of my logs in detail to give advice. There's also fight specific chats which might have what you're looking for too.

I joined this and it seems like the current discussion is about what to do if you drop Enochian and what the mana cutoff is for F3/B3. This is exactly what I needed thank you.

Just want to be clear no sarcasm here. I knew about the balance site but not the discord and this is a real game changer for me.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 3, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I'm so tired. I am going to die in a P10S clear party that can barely make it past turrets.

Edit: PF burnout is real and I think I'm going to take a break from this game.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 10, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Vermain posted:

a couple hours

:shepicide:

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
After banging my head against the wall that is P10S clear parties in PF for a week I went for the P9S reclear today since I still need the gear and the difference was staggering. I was barely even trying but just having a party that can handle mechanics makes such a huge difference. We had a couple wipes while people adjusted and then an easy clear way ahead of enrage. 20 minutes from first pull to clear.

I'm still going to take a few days off from P10S but this has restored (some of) my faith in PF.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I just hope they have a cross-DC regional PF in the works. I'm one of the suburbanites on Dynamis so I tend to have to plan my sessions between "need to be on Aether for PF" or "just want to garden and chill with my FC".

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

you have my empathy for trap parties but I encourage you to keep trying. 10s is a really good fight but 11s is way easier. 12s is cool

Thank you for this. I got my P10S clear and a (surprisingly easy) reclear this week. P11S fresh starts tomorrow.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Oops. Mentioned parses in a PF party in a vague way that implies I know they exist. I wasn't harrassing anyone it was casual convo before we even started. I followed it up with "I would never use crime tools I promise" but fingers crossed I don't eat a ban.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I'm still new to Savage raids but I don't see why I would care how other people are parsing. I parse so I can see if I'm improving week-to-week and I mostly just look at my rDPS and XIVAnalysis but I've got a P9S clear with 8 grays in it and a clear is a clear. :shrug:

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Fair. PF prog parties seem to have a lot more trouble getting to enrage than clearing in my experience. I've only had a couple parties that couldn't push past enrage after seeing it.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

You really can’t see why someone would care about someone else’s dps in content with a timed wipe

Of course I can if we're hitting enrage multiple times but that's been the exception for me. I'm sure week 1 it's an issue but my point was that if we clear I don't care.

ETA: My opinion is also biased since I've never been in a static so I take what I can get in PF.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 23, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I can't help myself it seems. I made a joke in FC about mentor/legend titles and somebody asked me "what's wrong with legend titles?" and I had to say I can't elaborate on that. I should just STFU in game.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Vitamean posted:

blm is one of those jobs that only gets better the higher level you are

so of course if you are in the middle of leveling it and get a lovely dungeon under your cap it's gonna suck rear end

it sucks less than it used to but still god drat!!!

To add to this: as someone doing high-level content for the first time; this is where BLM shines. BLM has a pretty simple rotation in a vacuum but a lot of tools and when it comes to Savage knowing the fight is key. I don't think I could do Savage on any other job because at least with BLM there's just that little bit extra to squeeze out of the fight if you know it better. If we wipe 100 times to a mech I've already seen well at least I practiced my positioning or cast timing or weaving or whatever. In a lot of fights I just look at my ley lines timer and I know roughly where we are and what to do next.

TLDR: it's a job that values fight knowledge and in normal content that's not nearly as valuable since you'll probably clear on the first run anyway.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 29, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 7, 2023

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

still haven't got my dawntrail cd keys from steam. Mildly concerning.

Square posted an update:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1772684683169431564

Edit: Restarted Steam and just got mine.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 26, 2024

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
For anyone running Linux (not Steam Deck) the creator of DXVK updated their benchmark launcher for the Dawntrail benchmark. Available here: https://github.com/doitsujin/ffxiv-benchmark-launcher. It needs a bit of fiddling and some things aren't 100% there but it does work, including DLSS. I need to mess around a bit with the DXVK settings because I got noticeable frame drops when a lot of new shaders had to be translated and compiled, e.g. at the beginning of the big battle scene.

I expect performance to be better on release once the XIVLauncher team does their magic with Wine and DXVK.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there any sort of explanation? I got the python launcher to open up but even then there's still no explanation outside of "point this at files" and basically presets.

For the first tab: first line is wherever you unzipped the benchmark. The Wine binary is whatever you use to run the game normally. If that's XIVLauncher.Core it will be ~/.xlcore/compatibilitytool/beta/wine-<version string>/bin/wine[64]. The Wine prefix for XIVLauncher is ~/.xlcore/wineprefix.

The environment variables can be left at default or you can adjust them. I set WINEFSYNC=0 and DXVK_ASYNC=1 and did some WINEDLLOVERRIDES but I'm not sure if it helped.

Everything on the second tab is just whatever graphics options you want. It won't read your current settings and at least for XIVLauncher it won't load your saved character data but if you want you can run the character creator once and save, then overwrite it with data from your regular install. It's the same FFXIV_CHARA_<num>.DAT but XIVLauncher is tricky with paths and puts character data in ~/.xlcore/ffxivConfig by default.

Unfortunately I don't know how to run it with Steam Proton but I think the Lutris method will work if you want to try that instead.

Fake edit: I found a video that goes over it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBv-45iGDM

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Any way you run the game on Linux is going to use Wine. Lutris* and Proton are both forks of Wine; XIVLauncher uses a custom-patched version of Wine. There are different optimizations in each of them but suffice it to say if you're running through Steam you can expect the release version to be a lot faster since Steam/Proton translates the shaders before the game even starts. If you've run this or any other DirectX game through Steam on Linux you've definitely seen that progress bar when starting a game. Doing that ahead of time is a huge boost to performance and obviously doesn't happen if you run the game outside Steam.

E: * Correction: Lutris isn't actually a fork of Wine but it uses different forks per game so it's more like XIVLauncher in that regard.

E2: iirc gaben actually plays this game with his kid on Steam Deck so compatibility is a high priority at Valve

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I finally cleared my last extreme for Mentor Roulette. I ran it once and got Hell's Lid which was simple enough. My concern is that while I want to help I also don't want to be that mentor so I'm looking into learning the ARR extremes synced at a minimum. Is it enough to read a guide and have it handy or should I make an effort to learn them synced in PF before I queue for Mentor Roulette again? I've cleared EX6, EX7, and P9S-P11S without echo so I know what it takes to clear an extreme but I don't know if I could lead 7 sprouts through something like that in 60 minutes.