Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Toshimo posted:

lol no

Not until they are in moxfield or somewhere readable and not scgs awful format.

What are the general opinions (or has anyone else even heard of) Archidekt? It's the first online decklist tool I've used, and just used it because my friend told me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Or cleric tribal with stax so you ruin everyone else's fun while preaching into the void

I've got an Orah Skyclave Hierophant deck, and it originally had around 15 board wipes, but I've since altered it so it's a bit less oppressive.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Starlight Spectacular from Unfinity can put out a lot of damage if you're able to consistently have four or more creatures on the battlefield (note that it counts all your creatures, not just the ones you swing with, so any that are staying back to block or for utility can go at the start of the parade).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got my BRO precons in the mail today. They look good!

Not sure if it's on purpose or not, but one of the multicolor cards in mine had the washed-out yellow frame, and the rest had the more saturated gold. Was like flipping through actual old cards.

The retro frame Command Tower might be my favorite card, as silly as that sounds.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

JumpStart 2022: Oh No, They’re Hot!

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Syenite posted:

... a double sleeved commander deck is monstrously thick.

New plan. Find a combination of sleeves that allow for triple-sleeving. Get custom outer sleeves made with the original Battle Of Wits art.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

TotalHell posted:

I’m putting the finishing touches on my Chatterfang deck, and since I happen to have a pristine Ron Spencer Unglued Squirrel Token I will absolutely be sleeving and playing with it.

Pretty sure my most expensive tokens are Squrrels and Goblins from Un-sets.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Aniodia posted:

I'm looking to keep it under like, $40 for the whole deck, and wouldn't mind a few pointers for decent value Equipment that would be useful.

Mask Of Memory
Meteoric Mace
Heirloom Blade
Quietus Spike
Scytheclaw

edit:
Brass Knuckles
Fireshrieker
Lizard Blades
(My RW equipment deck uses Reyav, Master Smith as the commander, so I didn't have any of the double-strike ones in my deck)

generatrix fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 1, 2022

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Colossus Hammer. Always Colossus Hammer.

Yeah, I was aiming for the cheap end of things, but if it's in budget then Colossus Hammer is perfect for Bruenor.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I’m also building a Titania deck right now, and it looks like you had the same idea with fetches as a way to get to four lands in your graveyard. I also included the three New Capenna locales that grab forests (they sac automatically rather than with a tap, so they fetch new forests the same turn you meld).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have two tribal decks (horrors and zombies) that play a bit differently, but I think I want a more spell slinger-y deck... probably Izzet? Does anyone have a fun recommendation to get me going? Otherwise I guess I'll start by using Niv and tossing a ton of instants and sorceries and trying to figure out a wincon haha.

Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph with a deck full of cantrips that do 1, and things that trigger and do 1 when other stuff happens. Win con is "pew pew pew".

If your play group doesn't mind a silver bordered commander (could have the 99 be all non-acorn), then Alexander Clamilton seems like a fun build-around.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Has anyone played a Vanilla tribal deck, I was wanting to pair this next weird thing I'm building with something more normal and chill and seems like there are actually a few good specific commander options for vanilla tribal. The better ones still have some non-vanilla synergy creatures but I think I'd wanna go all vanilla besides commander. There is a vanilla commander option though, might as well go all-in. If it's just not amusing I could easily upgrade it to spicy since I'm pretty sure swapping vanilla creatures is the easiest deckbuilding cuts I'll ever have to make.

I used to joke that my next deck would be Jasmin Boreal with all vanilla creatures. Then they went and printed
Jasmine Boreal of the Seven, and I’m not entirely sure it’s a joke anymore. I think the more powerful build would be to also include Ruxa, Patient Professor and basically just make a deck that goes wide with tokens, but running actual vanilla creatures is the fun route.

Alternatively, using Ruxa as the commander and then basically making Bear Force One would probably work too.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I brought my Drake posted:

I was all gung-ho for my stupid dice rolling deck until I discovered that you only roll for attractions on your upkeep--they don't proc every time you roll a dice like I thought. I still have it together and it's still goofy but it's not the dice rolling extravaganza that I thought it was going to be.

I went full-stupid and made a voltron-via-stickers deck. Because really, Rograkh deserves to be a 10/10 who also makes you Scry for some reason.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I'm thinking of building Liberator, Urza's Battlethopter. Looking for suggestions for artifacts or colourless spells that get significantly better with flash.

(note: I was not playing during the Eldrazi sets, so I don't have any of the usual big scary Eldrazi you normally see in colourless decks)

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Dizz posted:

a sliver deck that contains no slivers sounds awesome.

Mono-blue "slivers" with Mistform Ultimus as the commander.

also: thanks everyone for the suggestions... Probably going to go down the "triggers on upkeep" path to see what shenanigans I can include.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Dizz posted:

E: i will probably make a side deck that actually has fun with slivers though.

"Oops, all Slivers" is pretty fun. It's not the most powerful way to build a Slivers deck, but it's probably one of the most powerful all-creature decks you can pull off, and it's fun to see what it spits out each time.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Aniodia posted:

…nor is there really a whole lot of ways to deal with planeswalkers, but I haven't really found a solution that would work with the deck that I really like.

Comet, Stellar Pup. Send all squirrels and fetched burn spells at the enemy plainswalkers.

Be sure to get the showcase art and talk to him like a real dog if the salty guy is the type who is very against Unfinity cards being eternal legal.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Alright, I don't even know what to trim/add to make this deck do much of anything:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Jkna0iTe-UuzR0iykoC_8w

Duplicant seems like it would get pretty nasty in a double-triggers flicker deck.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Wurzag posted:

For me 1, 2, and 3 are roughly equivalent of objectively bad precon, ok precon and decent precon respectively.

I’ve seen a fair number of people base tne scale on precons, and they usually put current ones at 6-7 and the older bad ones at 4-5.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Also: I am always tickled by the specific jank R/B aggro used to get by using. Phyrexian Negator is a 5/5 trample for 3CMC, but you have to sac a permanent for every point of damage it takes. Slammed a ton of those guys out on turn one with Dark Rituals live fast, die hard, motherfuckers. :black101:

Jackal Pup winning 1st at a pro tour is wild to think about.

Any R/x commanders where you benefit from taking damage? I want to find a home for the pup.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

what's something that won't break the bank to build? My favorite colors are BUG (open to others though), I'm not big on really focused grave gimmicks like Muldrotha, and I like "mean poo poo" and enchantments.

Tatsunari, Toad Rider

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

meanolmrcloud posted:

I'm new to edh, and this would be like my second ever deck. I like sagas as a theme, but this seems very low power. any suggestions to bump up the salt? im also thinking of another mana rock or two, but it sucks to make cuts for a mana rock. there are a few top end enchantments, like debtors knell or captive audience that i could add, but i'm not positive there what i need. is something like fires of invention good in edh? is it worth a spot?

https://archidekt.com/decks/3984415#ghen

You're running too few lands and very little ramp, so I think your main issue is going to be casing any of the 4-cost or up spells. Add one more of each basic land, and 3-4 more mana rocks, and you might actually get to cast Extinguish All Hope before turn 11.

I do really like Hex Parasite in a sagas deck, and your draw with discard should work well with Ghen.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

But just in terms of raw card price right this moment, Rebellion Rising has value and the normally reprint and value hungry community seems to be not just sleeping on it but driving up the price of a worse deck and that’s wild to me.

Maybe the cost is more driven by how much people want to play them. If the value of the reprints is still less than he cost of the deck, then people will just buy the two singles they want. Meanwhile the people intending to play them are gravitating towards “Phyrexian Angel toxic/corrupted” over “Yet-Another-Boros-Equipment”.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

But obviously the logic of “buy the key singles and build the better deck you want” also applies to Corrupting Influence but even more so because there’s not any value in there right?

No. Buying singles for value and buying precons to play them are two different things.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's come to my attention that one of my old cards has skyrocketed in price.

I had that happen recently. I noticed a lot of people in games on YouTube running Lotus Petal, which I previously figured was a bit too short-term for commander. So I started considering other cards in the same quick boost kind of category. Dark Ritual can only go in decks with black, but why don’t more people who run Lotus Petal also run City Of Traitors?

$12 vs $350 is a pretty good reason. I had a playset that I got back in 2004 for a Type 1.5 tournament, and never really liked the play style of them anyways, so it was a pretty easy decision to trade them in and get 90% of my wish list instead.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone mind taking a look at a hypothetical Myrkul list I put together?

https://archidekt.com/decks/4039540#Myrkul_WIP_(hah!)

Given it's a Myrkul deck, you could probably cut the land ramp spells and just add in more mana dorks. Speaking of which, the enchantments Myrkul makes are tokens, so Jaheira, Friend of the Forest gets extra value out of any creatures that are there for their static/triggered abilities.

Also, Death Denied can help rebuild later on in the game if there isn't a ton of graveyard hate going on.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there rebuilding in a Myrkul deck? Having to exile the dying creature seems like it creates make it break board states.

Myrkul costs a lot, so there’s a significant portion of the game where they aren’t out and everything goes to the yard as normal.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I normally don’t buy any premium priced Magic stuff, but I do like opening packs and usually get a box of set boosters for any regularly priced set. Commander Masters seemed like a fun set though, so I was considering breaking my rule if it was anywhere up to double what I normally spend on a set. Preorders just became available, and it’s just over four times the price of a regular set. Probably not even going to make a singles order because of that. Completely killed any interest I had in it.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Most of the precons can't deal 120 damage by turn 10 with 0 opposition without some kind of manufactured "god draw".

I've never understood this metric. Is this assuming that all three other players are just playing solitaire combo?

I see why it works for things like mill or poison (well, infect, since toxic also does damage) where you're doing something a bit outside the regular game mechanics. But why would one deck need to do 100% of the damage to beat everyone else? What are the other decks doing?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I guess since Brawl was a huge flop...

Was there an attempt to do brawl in paper? Brawl is all I play on Arena, but it's only because Commander and Canadian Highlander aren't on there. Canlander is a bit of a stretch, but I imagine that getting Commander into Arena would nearly instantly be the death of Brawl.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

LachlanJ posted:

The goal is to flood the battlefield with golems by blinking Ich-Tekik and the various splicers

Ruxa, Patient Professor would make the golems a fair bit scarier. Leonin Abunas would give a bit more protection from spot removal. Starlight Spectacular can be ridiculous in any go-wide token strategy.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

...I'm thinking about cutting Phyrexian Altar, Doubling Season, and Parallel lives for some of the cards in my Considering. From the Considering list (or from your own suggestions), what would you swap in for those three cards?

From your list, Decimate is pretty fun to cast.

For alternative suggestions, Cloakwood Hermit and Agent of the Shadow Thieves.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was pricing upgrades to Prosper and got kind of bummed about how basically everything is impulse draw (and a bit of Foretell and Rebound) because casting from exile is a comparatively new space. It started feeling a bit one-note.

I've got a Vega The Watcher deck that also uses suspend and cipher (and Vega can also work with flashback or any other play from graveyard ability). I mostly built it because I always liked suspend as a mechanic.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What does your win condition look like?

Combat, kind of a never-ending midrange.

Starts slow, but hits a point where evasive medium sized threats are coming out fairly relentlessly. Suspend creatures finally showing up, creatures coming in from adventure and foretell, all generating more card draw. Then there's the cipher/rebound/adventure/foretell combat tricks to help them punch through and keep Vega alive (also all generating draw).

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Claire D'loon is also specifically an unset card
The opposite wouldn’t really break anything the way Claire does (i.e. making you treat non-cards as cards). We already have effects like turning all artifacts into creatures, so turning a creature into “a token” would just mean it can be targeted/affected by things that deal with tokens (or dodge non-token things). Once the card went to the graveyard it would cease to be a token, and would just stay there. For the permanent version they could do it in alchemy in Arena (“target non-land permanent perpetually becomes a token”) and just handle making it disappear when a token should.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Randalor posted:

Bad battle side, but I kinda like Granny Ravi.

Edit: Holy hell why does that cost 5?

Maybe they're worried about battles that ETB remove a blocker. May have been too easy to play and flip the same turn in testing.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's people's read on Asmoran[...]culdicar as a commander? It looks like it gets to play with all sorts of fun junk that I really enjoy and move things between zones a bunch, which is like my favorite thing in Magic. But does it have any real outlet to win?

There's a bunch of artifacts that can put cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library (like Reito Lantern), so using the cookbook repeatedly shouldn't be an issue. My first instinct is to try to make a bunch of food tokens so Asmo can work as a removal cannon (Giant's Skewer seems fun), and for the win condition use group-slug ETB creatures that can be repeated with the cookbook (like Gray Merchant of Asphodel). Past that you'd want a bunch of other reanimate spells, and if you're leaning more on the red ETB creatures then damage doublers (like Solphim, Mayhem Dominus).

generatrix fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 14, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there like a general consensus on black-border un-cards? I feel like it's reasonable to say "nuh-uh, absolutely not," but maybe I'm a fun-hater whose finger isn't on the pulse of the player base at large

I would much rather see someone play Attempted Murder than pretty much any “staple” cards.

Most of the standalone cards are fine, and sometimes even pretty good (Pair O’ Dice Lost in a lands recycling deck for example). I can understand some groans for a stickers or attractions deck, but they’re nowhere near as bad as day/night cards, or Urza’s Oops-All-Karnstructs decks.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

The LotR set feels like a stealth Commander product. Like someone thought, "Hey, you know how Commander cards are legal in Legacy? How about we do that with a straight to Modern set?"

It's possible early in design it was basically the same as Baldur's Gate, but then people got really mad that set was labeled as being for commander but not stuffed full of expensive commander reprints, so they rebranded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

I’ve got an Obeka deck based on playing big goofy cards that have downside triggers (like Eater of Days, and Lord of Tresserhorn). I didn’t know that she was a KOS / stax commander… guess I’ll be taking that deck apart.