Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm working on a Dragon themed reanimator EDH deck and how rude is it to put in the Worldgorger Dragon + Animate Dead combo in to use with Inferno of the Star Mounts? I haven't played a lot of EDH players so I don't know what the etiquette is for potential infinite mana loop combos. As long as I don't draw the game it's fine right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jiro posted:

How obvious is it in setting it up, is it the only wincon you're putting in to win the game? And if you were playing against it would you even want to play against it?

Well I'm not sure what it means for it to be obvious, I'd say its pretty obvious once Worldgorger Dragon is discarded what the end-game is; but it doesn't win on its own as its only 20 damage; doing it twice requires a bit more setup (some means of returning Animate Dead to my hand), assumes no one counterspells it, etc. My personal opinion its the same kind of timer win-con of any other deck where "Okay I got X turns before they hit me with it, gotta win before then." just as it is with Eldrazi or whatever no?

In any case while I was building my deck I actually discarded the reanimator concept and built my deck around a strategy that I think synnergizes better with Kaalia the Vast and is a little more focused on my main goal; overwhelming people with Dragons! :black101: :sarkhan:

Deck list, I'd appreciate any feedback on how to improve it to be more competitive:
code:
// Dragon Empress

// RBW Dragon
// Aggro
// Speed
// Overwhelm

// 16 Sideboard
// 6 Artifact
SB: 1 Talisman of Conviction
SB: 1 Talisman of Indulgence
SB: 1 Talisman of Hierarchy
SB: 1 Kolaghan Monument
SB: 1 Lotus Petal
SB: 1 Chrome Mox

// 4 Creature
SB: 1 Kaalia of the Vast // commander
SB: 1 Wardscale Dragon
SB: 1 Red Dragon
SB: 1 Tyrant's Familiar

// 2 Instant
SB: 1 Disenchant
SB: 1 Spit Flame

// 2 Planeswalker
SB: 1 Sarkhan the Mad
SB: 1 Sarkhan the Masterless

// 2 Sorcery
SB: 1 Shattering Spree
SB: 1 Faithless Looting
// *** end sideboard ***

// 99 Maindeck
// 15 Artifact
1 Thought Vessel
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Coalition Relic
1 Mox Diamond
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Arcane Signet
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Dragon's Hoard
1 Scroll Rack
1 Mind's Eye
1 Staff of Nin

// 32 Creature
1 Adult Gold Dragon
1 Goldspan Dragon
1 Immersturm Predator
1 Inferno of the Star Mounts
1 Leyline Tyrant
1 Manaform Hellkite
1 Piru, the Volatile
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Shadrix Silverquill
1 Velomachus Lorehold
1 Rorix Bladewing
1 Bladewing the Risen
1 Verix Bladewing
1 Lathliss, Dragon Queen
1 Scourge of Valkas
1 Nesting Dragon
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Dragon Mage
1 Moonveil Dragon
1 Rapacious Dragon
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Imperial Hellkite
1 Hoard-Smelter Dragon
1 Hoarding Dragon
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 Skyline Despot
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Dragonkin Berserker
1 Utvara Hellkite
1 Terror of Mount Velus
1 Terror of the Peaks
1 Zodiac Dragon

// 3 Enchantment
1 Dragon Roost
1 Land Tax
1 Awaken the Sky Tyrant

// 2 Instant
1 Dragon's Fire
1 Scour from Existence

// 43 Land
1 Badlands
1 Scrubland
1 Plateau
1 Blood Crypt
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Graven Cairns
1 Rugged Highlands
1 Fetid Heath
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Rocky Tar Pit
1 Marsh Flats
1 Arid Mesa
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Fabled Passage
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Prismatic Vista
2 Mountain (a)
2 Swamp (a)
2 Plains (a)
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Clifftop Retreat
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Sulfurous Springs
1 City of Brass
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Tarnished Citadel
1 Mana Confluence
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Silent Clearing
1 Sunbaked Canyon
1 Tainted Peak
1 Tainted Field
1 Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of the Dragon Queen
1 Rogue's Passage

// 1 Planeswalker
1 Sarkhan, Fireblood // useful for my psuedo ramp and card draw

// 3 Sorcery
1 Diabolic Tutor // fetch responses/etc
1 Demonic Tutor // fetch responses/etc
1 Crux of Fate // board clear

// Tokens so I can grab them during a match
// 2 Tokens
// 1 Artifact
1 Treasure

// 1 Creature
1 Karox Bladewing
I got some card draw so I can get dragons into my hand faster; Kaalia to get dragons out swinging faster, mana accelerators, I did a quick test and I got a dragon out turn 2! And could start pumping out Dragon tokens like turn 4 after I untapped basalt monolith.

I got a bunch of dragons who have enter play or activated abilities to give me responses; and multiple win conditions based on what order I get dragons out. Is the enemy putting up a stubborn defence? I got Dragons who can do board clear or target specific peskies. My main win condition is pumping out tokens, lots of tokens, did they kill some dragons? Bladewing the Risen can bring em' back. I got dragons who make Treasures which help produce mana, I got a dragon who lets me store mana between turns, can I generate 20 red mana and deal 20 damage? Who knows but I got a dragon who can do it! Need more mana? I got a dragon that can fetch my accelerators. Zodiak Dragon also doesn't stay dead either, comes back to my hand as needed! And a 8/8! Am I out of cards in my hand? Dragon Mage's got me covered. Do I need more health? Goldie's got lifelink! Enemy got an artifact that's ruining my day? I got a Dragon for that who can melt it into slag.

Dragons. The flex tape of EDH. :cool:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudanonymous posted:

Is your plan to just magically draw exactly the dragons you need when you need them?

You have like no interaction. Little ramp, and a ton of lands.

Personally I run interaction so I don’t give a poo poo about worldgorger combo, most of the times it’s been played against me the player lost all his permanents.

I'm not sure what you mean by little ramp, there's like 12 mana accelerator artifacts, Sarkhan who gives +2 mana and my commander is Kaalia. Chances seem pretty good to me that I'll have the mana when I need it; and most guides online suggest between 33 and 42 lands; don't think it's all that many.

The idea is something akin to Soviet Deep Battle doctrine but applied to EDH but with Dragons instead of tanks; the idea isn't to have a specific Dragon in play, its to leverage the Dragons I do get and push them out into play and to maintain a sort of tempo of reliably being able to bring out dragons and then depending on which kinds of dragons come out tailor my decision making around them. But if I need a specific Dragon I do have at least a couple of ways of searching.

e: And to clarify since it seems like I forgot to mention and it might not be obvious from the card list, the main thrust of the strategy here is that there's two main forms of interaction; there's Dragons/permanents who have effects when other Dragons come into play or depending on the number of Dragons already in play; then there's Dragon token generation as I have a variety of cards who produce Dragon tokens. So mainly my goal is to produce a lot of Dragons basically; as a side bonus them coming into play or existing plays off of the abilities of other dragons/cards and having dragons in play have other affects interactions with cards in my hand. For situational circumstances I also have a variety of dragons who have situational effects as a bonus. I'm not expecting to be able to use a specific Dragon, but I do expect to be playing and swinging with Dragons.

As I alluded to there's also Treasure token producing dragons for additional mana production so some aspects of the deck aren't obvious until you look at their interactions.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 2, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look!

As for Rorix and so on, these cards happened to have a soft spot in my heart as my first IRL Legendary Dragon, and Rorix is haste so he can swing when he drops; and if he's got brothers I gotta bring them along to or else his mother will complain! :3: And also my logic was "Sometimes I am not going to have Kaalia, but maybe late enough in the game to have the mana to pay the 7 mana for Verix and the kicker for his brother".

Velomachus to me was "This guy has haste and vigilance!" while also has synergy with Kaalia. So it seems to me if I add more sorceries/instants they should be better?

For hoarding dragon I assumed it'll die because its a flyer on the board but I suppose I should shy away from Ryuusei/Kokusho type of dragons who only are useful when dying vs those with activated abilities or attack abilities.

I just grabbed Scour at random as a "I guess there's something on the field I really need gone" response. I'll check out the other removal options you mention. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've made some adjustments after playing with my friend:

code:
1 Kaalia of the Vast

1 Commander's Sphere
1 Coalition Relic
1 Mox Diamond
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Arcane Signet
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Dragon's Hoard
1 Scroll Rack
1 Liquimetal Torque
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Orb of Dragonkind
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Ruby Medallion
1 Staff of Nin
1 Skullclamp
1 Tome of Legends
1 Mask of Memory
1 Mind's Eye
1 Adult Gold Dragon
1 Goldspan Dragon
1 Immersturm Predator
1 Manaform Hellkite
1 Piru, the Volatile
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Shadrix Silverquill
1 Velomachus Lorehold
1 Bladewing the Risen
1 Lathliss, Dragon Queen
1 Scourge of Valkas
1 Nesting Dragon
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Dragon Mage
1 Rapacious Dragon
1 Thunder Dragon
1 Hoard-Smelter Dragon
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges
1 Skyline Despot
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Dragonkin Berserker
1 Utvara Hellkite
1 Terror of Mount Velus
1 Terror of the Peaks
1 Dragonspeaker Shaman
1 Dragonlord's Servant
1 Anger
1 Land Tax
1 Awaken the Sky Tyrant
1 Dragon Tempest
1 Dragon Roost
1 Fervor
1 Dragon's Fire
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Spit Flame
1 Badlands
1 Scrubland
1 Plateau
1 Blood Crypt
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Shadowblood Ridge
1 Graven Cairns
1 Fetid Heath
1 Rugged Prairie
1 Rocky Tar Pit
1 Marsh Flats
1 Arid Mesa
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Mountain (a)
2 Swamp (a)
2 Plains (a)
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Sulfurous Springs
1 City of Brass
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Tarnished Citadel
1 Mana Confluence
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Silent Clearing
1 Sunbaked Canyon
1 Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
1 Temple of the Dragon Queen
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Sarkhan, Fireblood
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Crux of Fate
1 Vindicate
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Faithless Looting
It's faster but against a "Tainted Pact+Thassa's Oracle" its rare I get to do much before turn five.

I've added in some card draw/hand resets as a problem is against decks that do interactions once I use up my hand that's it and I can't do anything else. And trimmed out some dragons that didn't add much to the strategy or synergize well in order to put in some more interaction cards.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I played some 5 player commander at the recent anime convention and got eliminate first, the other four players had precons and I suppose they feared my red-black dragon tribal reanimator. :haw:

It is not a very good dragon tribal reanimator but once I had like dragon tyrant with anger in the graveyard they got hella spooked! The price I pay for having a theme I guess!

The 1v1 with my sibling at the same convention was also really fun, although they force of willed me, which shocked me as its a meme in my edh group. "Do you respond?" "Yeah force of will, no of course not." and with my sibling they're responding and I'm like "What are you going to do force of will me?" and they're like "Yes actually" and was like, "WHAT!? FOR REAL!?" shocked pikachu face

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I made an all sliver deck, literally aside from the lands its literally only slivers, so no artifacts, no enchantments, no auras, no sorceries, and its crazy fun. :haw: :cthulhu:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did you include the best Slivers, Chameleon Colossus and Taurean Mauler?

If they aren't pure slivers they don't go in :colbert:

Except for Rukarumel, who I let in because she's a sleaboo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudanonymous posted:

So you just name humans when you cast her I guess? Or do you go for the gusto and name slivers.

I name slivers of course! It's what she'd want.

Magnetic North posted:

As a card carrying Sliver Snob myself, here's the Galaxy Brain meme version of this:
  • Tiny Brain: I'm putting in value creatures like Craterhoof Behemoth into my Sliver deck.
  • Sparking Brain: Sorry, but Changelings aren't Slivers in my book, so I'm not including Mirror Entity.
  • Shimmering Brain: Those terrible humaniform slivers from M14 are an abomination, and not in a cool way. There are a few reprints with better art, like Manaweft Sliver, at least.
  • Exploding Brain: "Slivers you control" is cheating and the worst thing Magic ever did. Symmetrical effects or bust.
  • Galaxy Brain: Those chumps at the Riptide Project were posers. As a true Sliver aficionado, I only put original Rathi slivers (or ORS, as we enthusiasts call them). Also, Metallic Sliver is my commander.

I think I'm somewhat between Shimmering and Exploding :D I don't mind it being humaniform if it has an interesting effect and is at least Creature - Sliver and the distinction between "All Slivers" vs "You Control" doesn't matter too much in my groups meta.

It is REALLY funny though whenever my friends cast a "go through the top cards of your library until you find a instant or sorcery and then shuffle them into your library" and I just reveal my entire deck because I have none.

loving Blood Moon though cripples me. I only have 5 basic lands. :mad:

Its not a fast deck by any means but it has a certain narrative engagement to it, where its like a cosmic horror/tyranid invasion. It starts off slow and easily manageable but in a commander game with more than 2 players it often isn't worth the removal when the other player is progressing their game board faster, and by the time you're like Oh poo poo, the slivers are too powerful to be easily removed because they're now all invincible, uncounterable, invincible with shroud and are also like 10/10 fliers with double strike that can only be blocked by slivers :haw:

I call the deck Sliver me timbers.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
God I can't win with my group sometimes.

"hey you take too long searching."
*makes tech with non searchable tri lands because I don't have any fetch lands in the deck*
"why aren't you using the better tri lands?"
"because Im not using fetch lands?"
"why?!"

3 way commander sucks when the other two are always arguing and you're caught in the middle. :( Especially when they argue about who I should be bullying and I can't judge the board state at all.

So I made a deck that kills them both at the same time :getin:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My group banned First Sliver :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Floppychop posted:

As a commander or in the deck?

As the Commander. We learned how Cascade works and when I have only 2 1 drop slivers they didn't like the time it takes to go through my whole library.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay I think I've cracked the code. In Cockatrice I can ctrl y to put the top card to the stack zone, I can ctrl shift y to open a search box, with the right search terms it will put all the cards from the top to the stack zone until the right card is found. If I don't do ctrl y first it won't show the intermediate cards which is incorrect. Then I can select all the cards and shuffle to the bottom.

The complaint was cascading through my entire deck, especially for a 1-cost sliver and cascading off of every sliver entering the battlefield took too long but this should resolve the complaint. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, Cascade is incredibly powerful and the answer is not "ban cascade/first sliver" but it's actually "your opponents need to deal with that sliver before you untap"

Fake edit: drat I'm sorry I don't mean to sound so fuckin grumpy, just had to deal with filing a work injury report so my apologies on being salty.

Anyway, I find it pretty unfair that the two players not playing slivers banned ONLY a sliver, and that combined with you saying they complain a lot upthread makes me fairly certain the problem is not your First Sliver or cascade.

Not a problem you didn't sound grumpy to me at all fwiw, I used to play League of Legends I'm used to worse. :shobon:

To be clear the problem isn't that it was too powerful, they banned first sliver as my commander because once we learned that yes, cascade CASTS the cascaded into slivers so they also cascade once FS is on the board; means that instead of cascading like once or twice a game, I'm cascading like a factorial number of times; and also the worst offender was when I cascade for Mana Value less than 2, I only have about 2-4 1-drop slivers in my y'know, 99 card commander deck and the first time this came up it was a solid 5-10 minutes to one by one drag the top card onto the board until I found the sliver. The main complaint is that this would take a staggering amount of time every game and is gauranteed to happen when First Sliver is my Commander. Especially when I'm cascading from 6 cost to 5 cost to 4 cost to 3 cost to 2 cost to 1 cost and its now every game once we realized the actual rule.

Because the side effect of having a deck comprised of literally only slivers is I have nothing that terminates the cascade effect or exits out from the chain; it goes until I hit zero cost slivers.

My solution which I figured out after extensively searching the goddamn Cockatrice gitrepo for a feature apparently added only 2 weeks ago should resolve the core complaint. Because they did say I could have First Sliver in the deck just not as the Commander because of all the time it would end up taking.

But now I think I've solved the problem so it should be all good. :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

I'm not scared of a 1/1 and I refuse to read the cards of my enemy. I would simply play a 2/2.

Just like me fr fr

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

W.T. Fits posted:

Out of curiosity, since the deck is nothing but lands and slivers, do you run Umori, the Collector as a companion?

Not a Sliver :getin:

So I haven't seen this card before but memes aside is the idea I cast it from my sideboard, choose slivers, and all slivers cost 1 colourless less?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

To satisfy Umori's companion requirement, there must be one card type that each nonland card in your starting deck has. For example, if every nonland card is an artifact creature, enchantment creature, or creature, it is satisfied; but if you have an artifact creature, an artifact, and a creature, it is not satisfied.
(2020-04-17)

So as long as all my nonland cards are creatures its fine?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Also you choose card type not creature type with it, so you’d name Creature rather than Sliver.

Gotcha!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whelp, turns out my group still wants to ban The First Sliver as my commander despite figuring out how to speed up the interaction in cockatrice.

The updated reasons being:

-"You have no interaction"
-"Its too consistent"
-"There's nothing we can do." (After 6-8 turns assuming I got my mana)

It's apparently just too good, and breaks the game having a deck that's only creatures and no other cards.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For the record this is the deck:

code:
// 99 Maindeck
// 59 Creature
1 Winged Sliver
1 Sliver Overlord
1 Sliver Hivelord
1 Sliver Legion
1 Spinneret Sliver
1 Sliver Gravemother
1 Shifting Sliver
1 Sentinel Sliver
1 Screeching Sliver
1 Root Sliver
1 Regal Sliver
1 Quick Sliver
1 Pulmonic Sliver
1 Opaline Sliver
1 Necrotic Sliver
1 Mnemonic Sliver
1 Mindlash Sliver
1 Mesmeric Sliver
1 Manaweft Sliver
1 Leeching Sliver
1 Lavabelly Sliver
1 Lancer Sliver
1 Horned Sliver
1 Homing Sliver
1 Hollowhead Sliver
1 Hibernation Sliver
1 Heart Sliver
1 Hatchery Sliver
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Gemhide Sliver
1 Galerider Sliver
1 Fury Sliver
1 Frenetic Sliver
1 First Sliver's Chosen
1 Firewake Sliver
1 Enduring Sliver
1 Dregscape Sliver
1 Dormant Sliver
1 Diffusion Sliver
1 Dementia Sliver
1 Darkheart Sliver
1 Crystalline Sliver
1 Crypt Sliver
1 Constricting Sliver
1 Cloudshredder Sliver
1 Clot Sliver
1 Cautery Sliver
1 Brood Sliver
1 Bonescythe Sliver
1 Blur Sliver
1 Basal Sliver
1 Acidic Sliver
1 Taunting Sliver
1 Venom Sliver
1 Syphon Sliver
1 Virulent Sliver
1 Rukarumel, Biologist
1 Muscle Sliver
1 Predatory Sliver

// 40 Land
1 Sliver Hive
1 Command Tower
1 Taiga
1 Underground Sea
1 Badlands
1 Tundra
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Volcanic Island
1 Bayou
1 Plateau
1 Tropical Island
1 Seaside Citadel
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Savage Lands
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Opulent Palace
1 Frontier Bivouac
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Path of Ancestry
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Forbidden Orchard
1 Reflecting Pool
1 City of Brass
1 Mana Confluence
1 Rupture Spire
1 Shimmering Grotto
1 Transguild Promenade
1 Island (a)
2 Forest (a)
2 Swamp (a)
1 Plains (a)
2 Mountain (a)

// 15 Sideboard
// 13 Creature
SB: 1 The First Sliver
SB: 1 Damia, Sage of Stone
SB: 1 Megantic Sliver
SB: 1 Groundshaker Sliver
SB: 1 Lazotep Sliver
SB: 1 Might Sliver
SB: 1 Mindwhip Sliver
SB: 1 Plated Sliver
SB: 1 Sinew Sliver
SB: 1 Sedge Sliver
SB: 1 Psionic Sliver
SB: 1 Capricious Sliver
SB: 1 Scuttling Sliver

// 2 Land
SB: 1 Island (a)
SB: 1 Plains (a)
The problem seems to be I will maybe automatically win by like turn 8-10 depending on the rest of the board but I lose 1v1 EDH everytime because I can do nothing the first five turns.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Introduce them to the idea of threat analysis

But then they might lose?!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

also to boardwipes

If I have my "All Slivers are Invincible" then they're immune to board wipes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Swords the Indestructible granter, then Wrath. They're acting like they're not 3 players who keep losing to the same pile. Tell em to adapt or keep dying, imo.
Why aren't they trying to win the game on turn 8-10?

But what if I have my all Slivers have Shroud Sliver as well?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

Then all your slivers get exiled with Farewell

Or someone plays a Toxic Deluge

Or an overloaded Cyclonic Rift

There's a lot of answers to indestructible and shroud

I think the reply from them is while they could put answers in their decks, they can't reliably have those answers as often as I can cascade my slivers out?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My deck is also crippled by things like Blood Moon, or the "You can't untap non-basic lands" or "you can only untap X permaments this turn" which one of the other players likes to bring out.

I suppose in fairness we as a group and I, do ask "Hey can you not?" but your mileage may vary. My assumption is its much worse for your deck to just utterly prevent the other players from playing the game and deliberately stalling an already hour+ long game even longer; while my slivers basically only rarely interacts with your side of the board, as its always random what slivers I get with the cascade commander and merely mostly random with Overlord (which in theory lets me get the cascade commander out ANYWAYS just 1 turn later?).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

I retooled my Sliver deck because of all this Sliver Drama and now I'm very excited for it to whip rear end. :getin:

I've honestly looked into some "competitive" sliver decks that don't have first sliver as their commander and I'm also prepared to get my revenge. :getin:

I'll be like, YOU ASKED FOR THIS! You just COULDN'T let me enjoy my simple sliver deck that had a fun gimmick that would let me win more often than not. Infinite Mana Combos, all sorts of cool stuff I couldn't do before or pull off reliably.

I just wanted to play a deck that gave me like a random combination of cool slivers and potentially win in different ways instead of being the same win condition of "swing with big creatures", I can potentially mill someone's library with the right combination of slivers, that's cool! I liked seeing what slivers I had to respond to the board basically at random.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Play the "you win! Hooray" deck that's a random commander and 99 lands.

Wait, is there a commander where this works? Like a commander that gets stronger with lands?

AlternateNu posted:

Just go with the classic Sliver Queen/Mana Echoes infinite. No other slivers. Just every way to search for and protect Mana Echoes.

Lol I suspect that's in the deck list I found, along with training grounds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's not the point. The point is to draw a card, play a land, and then say "your turn" in the most passive aggressive way possible. There is an actual version of this that's maelstrom wanderer, kiki-jiki, some other crrature card that goes infinite with kiki-jiki, and then 97 lands. But this is to just be a dick to those friends of yours.

I think just playing lands without some kind of gimmick is a bit much, and these are the only friends I have so, I'm stuck with them until I manage to rope in more people into our mtg games. The Kiki jiki idea sounds cool though, so basically play maelstrom maurauder as my commander cascade in Kiki jiki and hopefully have the other creature that combos with it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

I would bet my entire sliver deck against that goon's that this us the exact scenario

I mean, in fairness to them, I do win with my kaalia dragon tribal, they just complain when I misplay and "throw" the game to the wrong person; Maybe they'll whack a mole if I play more competitive sliver decks, but this hasn't been the norm.

Albeit a lot of those wins were because I misread the artifact that's "sacrifice this for three mana of one colour" to mean "three different colours" so I was Seto kaibaing kaalia turn 1 and swinging with dragons turn 2. Whoops!

In my defense they didn't read the card either. And sadly this has reduced my win rate. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sounds like there's already one of those at the table

To be clear they played stax just the one time, they don't regularly play that deck. It wasn't too bad the one time for a 4 player EDH game because enough people had responses, but it stopped the Slivers cold as I didn't have any mana rock slivers out.

That player does like to play all sorts of spicy decks though. Like the Commander who whenever a player discards or sacrifices a permament they get it in play under their control for free.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ram dass in hell posted:

incredible meta strategy to play tergrid and keep going after other players for their choice of commander lmao

It was a lot worse with my kaalia deck as I have Dragon Mage and Wheel of Fate and the other discard you hand and draw card. :stare:

New Sliver deck, I got it from the net' with some alteration to make it more inline with my sense of fun, adding a couple of slivers.

code:
// 99 Maindeck
// 3 Artifact
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring

// 32 Creature
1 Acidic Sliver
1 Amoeboid Changeling
1 Basal Sliver
1 Biomancer's Familiar
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Cloudshredder Sliver
1 Crystalline Sliver
1 Diffusion Sliver
1 Dormant Sliver
1 Dregscape Sliver
1 Galerider Sliver
1 Gemhide Sliver
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Heart Sliver
1 Homing Sliver
1 Horned Sliver
1 Lavabelly Sliver
1 Manaweft Sliver
1 Morophon, the Boundless
1 Necrotic Sliver
1 Root Sliver
1 Sedge Sliver
1 Sliver Hivelord
1 Sliver Legion
1 Sliver Queen
1 Synapse Sliver
1 Syphon Sliver
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Noble Hierarch
1 The First Sliver
1 Quick Sliver
1 Hibernation Sliver

// 3 Enchantment
1 Mana Echoes
1 Training Grounds
1 Survival of the Fittest

// 14 Instant
1 Assassin's Trophy
1 Chord of Calling
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Fierce Guardianship
1 Force of Will
1 Krosan Grip
1 Mana Drain
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Swan Song
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Flusterstorm
1 Vampiric Tutor

// 38 Land
1 Arid Mesa
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Command Tower
1 Flooded Strand
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Mana Confluence
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plateau
1 Polluted Delta
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savannah
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Scrubland
1 Sliver Hive
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Volcanic Island
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Forbidden Orchard
1 Forest (a)
1 City of Brass

// 9 Sorcery
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Living Death
1 Nature's Lore
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Time Spiral
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Windfall
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Farseek

// 8 Sideboard
// 2 Artifact
SB: 1 Ashnod's Altar
SB: 1 Heartstone

// 1 Creature
SB: 1 Sliver Overlord

// 1 Enchantment
SB: 1 Kindred Discovery

// 1 Instant
SB: 1 Force of Vigor

// 3 Land
SB: 1 Yavimaya Hollow
SB: 1 Cascading Cataracts
SB: 1 Shimmering Grotto
In a test game with one of my friends I got my commander (Sliver Overlord) out turn 3. :getin:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I won. But at what cost?

I did kinda feel bad as once I got the infinite mana combo off and it was starting to take time even with the faster means of doing cascade, but so I offered to not play First Sliver in the deck or the deck anymore but they said the deck was fine, they literally just felt it wasn't fun specifically playing against the First Sliver as a Commander which is a little wild to me because clearly this deck is just way stronger and even faster and way more consistent but alright I guess?

I'll remove some of the other cards I thought were a bit much like Time Spiral, I'll add in Constricting Sliver as I didn't really have an answer for Indestructible Artifacts.

This was a 4 player game, I brought in a new friend to play with us, he was a little surprised at the power levels of some of the decks, and vowed to bring in something more appropriate. :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was almost kicked out of a game store once because of a misunderstanding. I was trying to play games but it was so crowded and the only spot was on the ground by the window with the Sun's glare in my eyes so I suggested we move to a different spot to like the cafe but the owners thought I was trying to steal their business or something. I only heard about this afterwards and just never went back because gently caress them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Katamari Democracy posted:

Played Slivers tonight but kept getting bombarded with board wipes! I was able to have about 10 slivers in my graveyard and once I bought out my First Sliver for the 3rd time and casted Patriarch's Bidding. Another board wipe swung past me exiling all of my indestructible +13 other benefits to all of my slivers.

Sucks!!!

I get a little bit of poo poo and even some pre-installed table politics "Oh he is playing Slivers? Yeah he is bad"! With my group but it's all in good fun. I do have other decks I can play that just blow up out of nowhere but I enjoy Slivers and Dragons the most.

Just like me fr fr

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Katamari Democracy posted:

I saw how you and others were engaged with the Sliver drama and quite frankly. I know your pain. The problem I have with my local group is that we have some people with outstanding power commander decks who do not play well with the majority Newbie / Great experience with the game. These guys are a little toxic and play the game at a breakneck speed. They got upset with me because they would by turn 3 have so much crap on their sides that I take time to understand and read what the card does. But im the bad guy for trying to understand how your two drop turned into a 9CMC cost without cascading frendo!

Thankfully I am in a very good group and while I do get the occasional "Oh poo poo slivers boo this man"! Its always in good fun. And if I can perceive that as good fun and them still inviting me to play every week? Those are great players and you should be their friend!

Awesome! :D

My group is slowly improving with the addition of new players from other parts of my extended friendgroup, but I'm currently looking into some new decks:

Ideas:
1. Improving my Kaalia deck, I feel like it could be better, but I generally like the flexibility I have, but I suspect I need either some more lands, (running 35? Maybe I should bump it up to 38?) and maybe more removal.
2. Maybe some other kinds of dragon tribal, like Ur-Dragon with Tiamat or something? Maybe something Morophon related?
3. I saw some Kobold cards and I'd love Kobold tribal but there's like only 10 cards. =/ I could maybe make a more RP deck that has Kobolds that are like, serving some dragons? Dragon-Kobold tribal?
4. Maybe some kind of Robot themed deck that's just infinite robots?
5. Wizard deck? Like you're a wizard casting spells, so the only creature can be yourself (i.e your commander) and then things specific to being like a D&D mage, some maybe Elementals, Imps, but no typical MTG creatures like Elves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Finally got my play my siblings today with our IRL decks (I only just got Kaalia irl but dont have the rest of the cards I need though), me with my Bladewing the Risen RB/Reanimator Dragon tribal, my sibling generated infinite mana and did 500k damage to everyone. :haw:

It was a very tragic game with my sibling constantly preventing me from dealing damage with Dragon Mage preventing me from regen'ing my hand. :( It was funny as in contrast to my games with my friends this was the inverse where it was my siblings trying to keep me from potentially helping the other (drawing cards with dragon mage). :haw:

My sibling wants to help me put together a sliver deck, so I'm looking up prices. :) THEY don't mind me playing First Sliver. :getin:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Played my Faerie deck and lost in the most YuGiOh way possible, I had out the "Anyone can discard a card" one out and my friend discarded a bunch of cards and then brought back to play with double counters a bunch of Planeswalkers who could all Ult including Nicol Bolas. Incredible.

WHY IS SLIVER QUEEN 300 loving DOLLARS!? Every other important Sliver 5 colour card like Legion is 50$ (Canadian) and all the others are at most like 1-3$ but Sliver queen is like 5x the price of all the other slivers wtf.

I just came up with an idea for a deck, what about a Super Saiyan EDH deck? Themed around getting stronger through various ways: Dying and Coming Back, Taking Damage and Recovering, Training, Sparring, Transforming into Stronger forms (the more forms the better?) and I guess finding Magic Items for a Dnd flair? Any ideas for this?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking at every garage sale listing within 50 miles of me to see if they're selling any old large MTG collections just to see if I can save money building my IRL EDH decks :negative:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Picked up some of my slivers from a local card shop, waiting for the rest to arrive in the mail :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Amazon scuffed my order for my card sleeves and binder :mad: