Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aranan posted:

I'm a little sad to see the old thread go because it has been around longer than my return to Magic. There's a post from January 2015 of me talking about getting back into the hobby with a focus on EDH and talking about a bunch of janky decks ( Zurgo Helmsmasher Voltron, Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Krenko, Mob Boss, and Daretti, Scrap Savant). Truly an artifact of an ancient time.

cEDH:
Right now I just have two decks built and they're essentially the stock lists of Godo and Winota. I've been tinkering with another style of Rule of Law deck -- possibly something based on Ardenn/Tana Hipster Stax/(Cobble's version) or Ishai/Tevesh Humility.

Casual:
I like my dumb Neheb, the Eternal big red deck. Lots of impulsive draw, big damage, and basically folds if someone removes Neheb.
My "Ashnod" (aka Negan) deck has only been taken out for a spin once and is in the middle of an update, but it's pretty fun to churn out treasure tokens even if it ultimately doesn't do a ton.

How did your Spider Collider deck work out in practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I couldn't go back to a world without Moxfield global tags for deckbuilding

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aranan posted:

There are a few ways you can Make Playing Cards. My preferred way to Make Playing Cards is using Photoshop templates and sending the final images off to a company that will Make Playing Cards for you. There are different card finishes, and I'm actually pretty fond of the plastic playing card one because you can riffle shuffle like mad and not have to use sleeves, plus they're super durable.

Also, they can't have the real Magic card back so there's no way they could be mistaken for a counterfeit.

As someone who has Made Playing Cards, I approve this post

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is Conquest the format where you get to scry X at the start of the game, where X is the number of players ahead of you?

Yes, they trialled it for a while and it became an official rule about a week ago

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

Adding scry to the 2nd/3rd/4th players opening hand would dramatically impact cEDH. Letting the 4th seat storm
player see 3 extra cards (and thereby extending their ability to keep greedy hands) feels like a lot

Is storm not a thing in Conquest? Or just this particular issue is less of a factor because so much fast mana is banned?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This poo poo is so blatant that it flipped the last anti-proxy holdout in my group

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh boy, you just triggered like three to five people in this thread.

When it comes to the overall experience of playing Magic, there are at least 3 different goals I'm considering, so I don't find that it makes sense to talk about a singular goal.

I have found the most enjoyable way for me to play commander is:

-build decks within the power range of my group, with a variety of ways to win
-play each game trying to win to the best of my ability
-approach each evening of playing magic with the goal of having fun with my friends

Only 1.5 of those goals are "try to win", but in my experience those are the two that count. Leave win cons out of your deck and you increase the chance of grindy games that get boring. Playing suboptimally on purpose is just patronising to your friends. If you have the win, go for it and if it feels unsatisfactory then change your deck. Approach each session expecting to lose more than you win because that's just how it goes in a group playing at the same power level.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

Yeah I understand colour identity in commander, just confused by what that person is arguing I guess. So they, like, the person responding to Sheldon, WANTS the card to be able to be in a mono-white commander deck?

Sorry for always asking these basic rear end questions, I'm going to be playing catch-up for a looooong time.

Yeah, you've got it. It's one of the longest running rules change requests, but I think it's always been a minority position

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If I have a mono green commander and I'm looking at cards to put in the deck, it feels pretty intuitive that I can't include cards where half the frame is one of the other 4 colours

e: I also taught half of the players in my group how to play Magic and they have never been confused about the hybrid rule being the way it is. The only thing related to hybrid mana that they ever needed explaining was Extort not counting for colour identity

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 29, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

I really don’t ever want to dogpile anyone in Magic, much less a woman in magic, but this person sucks and shouldn’t be on the CAG

Based on what I've seen from the rest of them she seems like a great fit

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Shortest Path posted:

I think you are very severely misinterpreting her tweet lmao

She's poking fun at people for reactionary threat assessment and wasting premium removal on something which doesn't actually hurt them that much because it feels bad, when they don't play much removal and therefore aren't saving it for relevant threats.

This is the person who has complained, at length, that commander is too fast for her angel tribal deck

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Threat assessment in commander is a complex thing with a whole bunch of factors including hidden information in other players' hands and decks. She's provided none of the context we need to judge whether her fellow players were mistaken, but she's happy to talk poo poo from a position of authority in the community. It's bad form, imo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

There is only 1 card required to play Commander the correct way:

My friends love it!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

Getting caught up on podcasts at work and just listened to a really thoughtful episode of EDHrec about your Commander Pet Peeves. Really got me thinking about what kind of bad habits I have during games and how I want to present myself in games.

They talked about :
  • players being distracted from games with phones/trading

• players not respecting each other’s time

• players acting salty about any interaction with their board at all

• players who gets upset if you interact with their win condition

• Players who is obviously in a commanding lead refusing to acknowledge their obvious lead

• quarterbacking other players

• Acting like you have perfect information when you don’t

This episode came at a really good time for me. There's trouble brewing between a couple of players in my group and one of them contacted me about it after the last game we played. We have a player very guilty of salt over interaction and not acknowledging their leading position (I bet these two go together a lot) and the person who this has annoyed the most is guilty of being on her phone any time it's not her turn. I've been having some stress about this and feeling like it's on me to resolve it. Now I'm just going to link the video to the group and tell them I noticed a couple of things in it that I do that I'll try to be better about in future.

I can be bad about quarterbacking, which often goes hand in hand with assuming perfect information. I'm going to try it cut it out.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MasterBuilder posted:

Could I get some suggestions for the last 4 cuts along with a mana base review for this Mardu aristocrats deck. Current commander is Alesha who smiles at death.

It's a bit of a build from the binder deck with all of the cards over 10$ being ones I already owned. With that in mind I would be willing to put in another 50 cad or so but I think Yawgmoth, thran physician is probably out of the cards.

With only around 40 mana sources, I think you should be cutting from the top of your curve. I'd drop these 4:

Orcus
Young Necromancer
Greed
Zariel

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

I know it's budget but Rhythm of the Wild feels like a must-include for this sort of big battlecruiser style deck. It does all the things you want.

Temur Ascendancy as a budget alternative perhaps? It works on the tokens too

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

checkplease posted:

I want to make a new deck in honor of my newborn twins. What are some possible commanders to use? A quick search shows Adrix and Nev. And there are partners of course. Any other options I’m missing?

This might be covered by "and there are partners of course", but Rowan and Will Kenrith are twins

e: curse you, Heath!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I proxied up Bust's Slam-pires deck for a few games tonight. Highly recommended.

I've been frustrated in the past trying to build a midrange version of Edgar and it's better than my efforts. I'm sure he won't mind me linking it again for the thread

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm thinking of making a cEDH battlebox of 4 decks for my casual group. It's going to be proxies so card price isn't a concern.

Can any of the resident cEDH players recommend 4 decks that play well together? If at all possible we'd like to avoid thoracle type win cons, they've been kind of played out at a slower speed in our group already. Thanks!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

If I were you I’d probably build

Winota (Stax is represented)
Turbo Naus (Naus is Represented)
Najeela (so the Winota player isn’t the only one playing in combat)
and then any mono color commander, Urza, K’rrik, Godo, Heliod

Either way I think a battle box is a great idea, but I think you’d want at least one Oracle deck because playing without it at all really would not be representative of the format as a whole.

That's fair, and as casual players we're definitely underestimating how interactive that win condition is in cEDH. Thanks for the recs, time to read some primers

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Framboise posted:

These are all good but I'd also mention Pako/Haldan too!

Which would you swap it for in Bust's Probably Build list? It sounds like a fun deck and I'd like to include it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

Welp. I take it back. Sheldon Jr. sucks as a designer, so maybe we didn't need Doctor Who.

Young Sheldon was right there...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just try to keep my tapped lands below a fifth of my total lands (and obviously make sure they're in the deck for a good reason). Seems to work out fine for casual play and feels a world apart from the kind of tapland-heavy land bases that plague precons

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lands are the first thing you should proxy imo, because they're expensive and boring

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

poo poo, I didn't spot the mention of tix and mtgo so my proxy comment might not have come across as it intended, sorry! Wasn't trying to be weird about it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've found the packages feature on Moxfield really useful for mana bases. I have one for each number of colours. You just drop every land in there for the cycles you want to use and when you add the package to your deck it excludes the cards that don't match the colour identity.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

Strong disagree. The mono-color cyclers are a self-fulfilling prophecy, like Reliquary Tower: if your deck is getting mileage out of them, it's not that they are good, it's that you've built your deck wrong.

The use case I've seen for cycling lands is high CMC commander but fairly low curve for the rest of the deck. Would you say that the correct answer is more straight up card draw spells?

For decks where I thought I needed a reliquary tower I've been switching some burst draw over to incremental and running more mana acceleration. Reasonable response, or I missing something?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Being a good creator and being a good steward require different skills.

Sheldon should definitely take some credit for Commander being popular though. Replacing actual format stewardship with passive-aggressive sniping via blog post drives exactly the kind of engagement and content-creation that the modern internet thrives on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

One person in my playgroup will describe any permanent controlled by another player that stops them doing exactly what they want as a stax piece.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Silhouette posted:

I wonder when wotc will finally make cards that prevent mill/library exile, and protect graveyards

Like, make an artifact with "if a player would mill any amount of cards, or any amount of cards would be exiled from a players library, put them on the bottom of their library in a random order instead"

Or an instant that phases out target players graveyard

Giving yourself hexproof negates a few of the more common graveyard hate cards

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If Dockside got reprinted in a meaningful way so that it cost less than $50, it would probably get banned. That's pretty funny.

There's a couple of questions I'd have liked prof to ask.
One is how the process of unbanning works if ubiquity is such an important factor in a card getting banned.
The other is in response to Sheldon talking about how he sees card design as the most important means of expressing the commander philosophy. It's basically the 3-mana rock question: if current commander card design is more in line with what Sheldon believes commander should be, why would players go along with that unless he's willing to ban the strictly better cards that already exist? I don't expect or want the RC to ban signets and talismans, I just want to hear what he thinks the steps are between "Print more 3-mana rocks" and "People actually play them"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think he's hoping players will buy into his philosophy rather than just play the most efficient cards. An honor system type of thing.

Yeah I didn't expect his answer to be good, I just wanted to hear him say it with a straight face

LanceKing2200 posted:

It's 100% this, and this is a fine philosophy to have right up until the point that competitive events exist. It also raises the question of "why have a ban list at all then?"

It doesn't even need competitive events to exist. In my group we've raised the power level of our decks by lowering the cost of the ramp and interaction cards and the games are just more fun. Earlier active turns, fewer interminable board stalls. We played a game with unmodified precons again recently and it was just a grind. Our games end on turn 10, on average. This one took until turn 16

e: btw Prof did ask him that exact question. It's pretty early in the video. His answer was that you can rule zero around it so it's only a suggestion anyway

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MasterBuilder posted:

MPC cards for anything recent won't have the holo sticker and from what I've read the print quality and texture are obvious to the point where actual authenticity checks aren't needed.

MPC will also bounce back any order with a Wizards copyright line, or the official MTG card back. No one is mistaking one of those for the real thing unsleeved and even in a sleeve there's a really obvious blank space in the bottom right corner.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The only thing Tapped Out still does better than Moxfield is token handling. If Moxfield told you which card in your deck produces each token and how many it makes with one cast/activation I would never load up Tapped Out again

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've been sort of lukewarm on game knights for a while but I watched the 40K episode and the decks looked pretty fun.

Do we know what the reprint policy is for the pre-cons? I would hope that whatever deal GW signed stipulates reprinting for as long as they're selling out, since they have no reason to care about the secondary value of any of these cards

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Heath posted:

I'm so loving tired of this game

Just the Universes Beyond stuff or something else?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And the 30th anniversary set is Nintendo virtual console selling ROM rips back to people

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Heath posted:

Universes Beyond, One Thousand United States Dollars, literally never-ending spoiler season, all of it. Every set is more disposable than the last. But since this thing is a big central thing in my friend group and is a main hobby we all share, it isn't something I can just ignore. I just wish Wizards would let stuff breathe, you know?

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. The pace of new releases has turned my fun time of upgrade hunting every new set into what feels like work. My only solution to this has been to halve the number of decks I'm actively maintaining and it's still kind of exhausting sometimes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

pseudanonymous posted:

Every set, we publish an article specifically just for like "hey add these 10-20 cards to your deck building vocabulary" so that you can skip most of the spoiler season if you just want the tl:dr.

This is on goonhammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The shockland Secret Lair was the one for me where it stepped over the line into feeling really gross with the whole having to buy duplicates to get a full set. Like those F2P games with economies designed so you always have some amount of their currency left over no matter what you buy.

Oh and I guess also the fact that my friend has been waiting for a year (?) for his coin flip deck