Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you all had to pick your favorite cEDH and your favorite non-cEDH decks (say ~7/10, in your personal opinion), what would they be? Toss up some links if you've got 'em!

cEDH Favorites:
Najeela Midrange
Emry's Crazy Taxi
Tymna/Jeska Turbo Mad Farm

High Powered Favorites:
Sen Triplets Yoink!
Kenrith Twins Superfriends Storm

Others:
Nahiri's Armory
Gisa Shrugged (In Progress)

The problem with the high powered decks is they stand in that "rear end in a top hat Tier" range where they're too degenerate for casual tables but aren't positioned well for cEDH tables. So, I don't get to play them as much. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

This was a great example of why Stax pods require a lot of intention before the game even starts. I saw we were playing a pod of Winota and Urza so I decided not to play my own Heliod Stax onto that pod and it was still a nightmare. In any of those triple/quad Stax games, I always feel like one of the Stax decks (the one with countermagic) is gonna be heavily favored. This is why I gotta build Minsc for our pods, I need an Anti-Stax Stax list, we got too many Stax!!!!

It's because you fuckers have some weird aversion to blue and a fetish for dragging the game out insufferably. It's why Najeela and Malcolm keep eating your lunch. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Howdy , I haven't been an active poster, but I have really enjoyed reading the previous thread.

Could someone take a look at my K'rrik deck? It started life as an Ascendant Evincar Aggro deck back in 2011, but through many years and various iterations I've been able to transform it into an unfocused mess. I was initially aiming for more of a suicide black aggro strategy, but then other things started creeping in, like more life control / life swap elements and the Aetherflux / Bolas' Citadel combo, along with a couple of pet cards. Any recommendations?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/2arNPoxwEEmU3I2nfJkv2Q

There are a couple better versions of Supernatural Stamina around. Malakir Rebirth if you want the flex land slot. Feign Death/Undying Malice if you want a more permanent boost.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Dragons. The flex tape of EDH. :cool:

Kaalia decks work best when you can give Kaalia haste. That's really the only time they're a threat because otherwise, Kaalia is just a target for every cheap removal spell in the game. Beyond the removal and ramp suite, cards you're missing that aren't dragons (some of which have already been mentioned):
Dragon Tempest
Orb of Dragonkind
Lightning Greaves
Dragonspeaker Shaman
Dragonlord's Servant
Haven of the Spirit Dragon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

5C Allies:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9uC5htLDFUu8_aLag0tPsw

Looking to add about five more creatures to this and then fill out the lands. Thoughts? Very basic? Not a tribe worth bothering with? Any obvious swaps I should make? Toss in a Triumph of the Horde?

E: It just struck me that I actually just tossed cards in there and didn't even look at my colors when it came to what mana rocks to even bother with. Whatever, consider it a very rough draft.

You're missing Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Birthing Boughs for consistent ally dumps. Also, some useful changelings:
-Unsettled Mariner
-Shapesharer
-Masked Vandal
-Realmwalker
-Graveshifter
-Morophon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

Kediss is really good, he's in a comp deck. You can also use him with infect to kill all your opponents at once with a one-punch deck, which I think is pretty funny.

The rest are ok. I thought it would be fun to make a deck with five color commanders matter using the friends forever with Eleven and Mike to play all the familiars. And maybe a bunch of the lieutenants too and all the "if you commander" and "commnaders you" and # of times you cast your commander cards.

But I woudln't say they are particularly good. Esior is nice in that you can get him out before an important commander and your commander comes out with Ward. Anara and Keleth are meh, Falthis you could use to give a pinger commander deathtouch which would be obnoxious, but I don't know if its "good".

I've always wanted to build a W/B keyword soup deck with Falthis and Akroma, Vision of Ixidor just because I think it's funny Akroma makes cat a 5/5. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm not clicking a SCGs link. :colbert:

What's the break down?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I don't think my wife would appreciate me going out for some EDH and Chill.

Find a new partner. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Railing Kill posted:

I need ideas for a RB commander. It is my everlasting shame as someone who usually played red Sligh and suicide black back in standard and extended in the 90's that I haven't found a RB commander that clicks with me yet. I guess it doesn't need to be aggro, but that would just be a bonus. Anything interesting would do. I recently tried Strefan Maurer but found it underwhelming compared to Edgar Markov. I also tried a Kardur artifact deck that just isn't working. I might be overthinking that one and should just try it some more, but I'm also shopping for a RB commander that really pops.

So, goons of the EDH thread, any recommendations?

Tevesh//Rograkh Value Sac
Grenzo Gobbos
Judith Aristocrats
Toggo//Keskit Rock Sac
Mogis Pain Stax
Florian Value Aggro

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

Ah, Tergrid. Way too weak for cEDH, way too cool for casual.

I thought we JUST finished confirming that cEDH = casual. :psyduck:

Stop confusing me! :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dizz posted:

it goes back to the commander zone but still hits on death triggers from what i heard. it's a weird rule with people trying to steal commanders when they hit the GY.

Commanders still hit the graveyard or exile and a state-based effect gives the owner the option to move it to the command zone after that. That's the rules change.

Originally, the effect was defined as a replacement effect that prevented the card from ever hitting the zone. This actually changed how cards like Grasp of Fate interacted with commanders. Originally, if you moved the card to the command zone as a replacement, and Grasp was later removed, you'd get your commander back to the field for free. That is no longer the case since the Grasp effect doesn't follow the card from the exile zone to the command zone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dizz posted:

Ironic that WOTC doesn't like the Prof much because he's honestly critical of all the bullshit they keep trying to pull.

Is that even true though? I’ve never seen anything to show that WOTC is stiff arming him because of his critiques.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The neatest interaction with the typeless shrine creatures are they are guaranteed to trigger Volo which is pretty sad.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

I really like Chun, Gief and Blanka, but the rest of these are pretty mid or lovely. IDK what the deal is with Honda lol.

Guile being Jeskai is too on-the-nose. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

Nexus of fate. If I can figure out a way to get it into my yard.

Which would be never. Sooooooo…

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

I want Karn to show up in New Capenna because I want a card with a robot wearing a pinstripe suit and fedora holding a magical tommy gun

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

Turns out all the airlines that dropped mask mandates have a huge staffing shortage

You're saying this as if any of the U.S. based carriers are still mandating them. I'm pretty sure the only exception to this is some carriers still require masks on international flights which go to countries who still have mandates in place.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

coelomate posted:

I wonder if "Ancient [Metal] Dragon" is d&d IP enough to make that relatively unlikely?

Did WotC say they were planning on limiting D&D themed cards to only D&D sets? Cause it isn’t like they don’t just straight up own the IP.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heath posted:

What is your problem?

Of everyone in this thread, Toshimo most embodies the idea of "if you don't play the way I say, you're wrong."

Johnny Truant posted:

Ah that's the background I didn't snag in my commander draft, dang yeah that's a great combo. I'm doing the izzet Planeswalker partner combo as my commanders, otherwise I'd be all about that.

The OG Kenrith Twins are one of my pet decks. It's fragile as gently caress, but when it pops off, it is top-tier masturbation. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

In a selesnya deck, would you run knight of the white orchid and loyal warhound if you're going to run the two mana land-ramp sorceries (farseek, nature's lore, into the north, three visits, rampant growth)? or is it one or the other, and would you rather run the sorceries or the creatures, if so?

You would rather run all the green mana dorks (even Boreal Druid) before you'd run the white "ramp" creatures.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

I would love a revival of the dead card games thread so I can talk about .hack//ENEMY

For me, it's VS System.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I assume you mean the original since the relaunch of the game is still getting new content?

Yes. And I thought the reboot died. Kind of funny if that's not the case.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Esika is my Theros Pantheon Enchantress commander and she’s great. Just remember, if you run her, you need to run Jeskai Ascendancy for maximum pogs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sitting in a circle is the best orientation, but round tables for gaming are typically too big, putting people too far away from the person across from them. The width of the typical rectangular gaming table is more conducive to magic playmats.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
KENRITH TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Prof shaved again? Boooooo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
RIP Dr Who

I met Gavin once. He was about as offputting in real life as you would expect.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I just noticed it's a mythic rare. Gross.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Hmmm....

Another card for Esika Ascendancy combo. Yaaaaaaay. :woop:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

Your username does not reflect this!

Building legos and building MtG decks are very different things, my friend.

Aranan posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not, but cartoons from when I was little convinced me that elephants are afraid of mice.

This is a myth...kind of. Elephants have lovely eye sight, and anything that can zip/scurry around them fast enough to surprise them freaks them out. This goes for snakes and any number of other small animals. But the idea that mice can climb up their trunks to suffocate them or whatever is false.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
A one CMC rock that taps for (1) and ETBs tapped.

I’m waiting for it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Played some Commander today. Pitched a Diluvian Primordial in response to a Living Death. When the Primordial came back I targeted a Traumatize (aimed at myself), a Splendid Reclamation, and the Living Death that had just resolved. It was great.

This is what EDH is all about.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is just an elf though

A 0/1 kobold that costs (R), taps for (1), and has haste.

I’m waiting for it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

once we had actual graveyard interaction by the bucket load, but cultural inertia is dumb.

Back in the day, my favorite random piece of anti-grave tech was Faerie Macabre.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

I strongly suggest everyone just put the obvious troll on ignore. He has never contributed anything to the conversations other than baseless complaints and hugely incorrect understanding of a game he doesn't even play.

On the topic of dockside bans... I guess that'd be okay with me. Dockside was one of the first cards to bring red into parity with the "good colors" but I feel like red has received enough tools in the last few years to not have to rely on one single card to be viable.

Jeska's Will
Underworld Breach
Storm-kiln Artist
Birgi
Cursed Mirror
Kediss

Uh... Okay, maybe dockside is carrying the color more than I initially thought.

Ragavan and Face-Breaker. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

I had her in Temur Pirates, Najeela, and Blue Farm right after launch but I removed her from everything after a few weeks. Just never felt good to draw.

Uhhhh, what? I can understand Blue Farm and maybe Pirates, but she's straight up a wincon in Najeela.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Locust God was my first attempt at a truly competitive deck before morphing it into Kess.

The best two cards in the deck are Skullclamp and Mana Echoes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I feel Izzet is the best right now because nothing beats amoral techno wizard scientists.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Silhouette posted:

Typed duals that etbt are fine since they can be fetched or tutored on someone else's end step

Yeah. I run the tango lands in all but the most competitive lists if I need more duals.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

You know what? Point made.

gently caress, now I want to rebuild Teferi. Power Artifact and Capture of Jingzhou though....

Pfft. Dude had a Mishra’s Workshop.

Considering the number of high cost mana rocks he was running, I would argue that is the lynchpin card in getting the deck’s engine online.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bust Rodd posted:

Personally I don’t see how this deck ever beats a Najeela so I’m super excited for the TO report.

It doesn’t. Its plan for Najeela is let everyone else deal with Najeela. I’m not joking.

Najeela is such a boogie man that it is easy to look like the least threatening deck at the table until they start chaining turn spells.

My Kenrith Twins deck operates on the same gameplan (although it isn’t quite cEDH level). It’s all ramp to get Will out and ensure he survives one turn, then I start chaining cheap turns with his minus ability until I can start looping walkers with Cloudstone Curio.