Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I got a cheap copy of Feast for Odin off fb marketplace and it's taking my groups by storm. Guess I'll get the expansion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Sticko posted:

I think with 6 players who actually know how to play SI, it could be done pretty fast. As long as players are not trying to completely min max (If you're just concentrating on your own board, any maybe assisting one other player). All turns are simultaneous and each player should be able to handle their own invader phase stuff.

Yeah we've played 5 player a bunch with experienced players and it's fine. Trickiest bit has been that you can end up a long way away from crisis areas and be unable to do anything useful to help sometimes, and events can take a long time to resolve, particularly ones where each player does something rather than each board or when you need to choose an option together.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The Eyes Have It posted:

My biggest pain point in Gloomhaven was managing all the health tracking for all the enemies (and when you get to four players, there are a LOT of enemies and they have a lot of health). Even using some small d10 dice to track health gets super clunky as enemy count rises.

We used stacks of small d6s and it felt pretty fine - I did fill in in another group who were carefully putting life counters on the segments on the monster sleeves though and i felt like i was playing blind.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

jmzero posted:

We tried a variety of solutions - spinny bases, dice, an app (pretty feature light, we played right after release). They all worked fine for most stuff, and none worked well for stupid Slimes.

The right answer for slimes is to not do those missions, and instead, like, rub gravel into your forehead or do anything else.

(In general we REALLY liked Gloomhaven, for the first 40 missions/hours or so anyway).

this was my standard example of how we were using dice - good times.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Tempura Wizard posted:

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is a fun medium-weight game where you're cooperating with your two neighbors to build castles, but only the person with the best lesser of their two cooperative scores will win. Can be a bit fiddly, but a good time if everybody's in the mood.

I do love this game but make sure you either have good eyesight and a bright gaming room or the iOS app for scoring because man those are some tiny scoring icons.

On the other hand it's incredibly accessible because new players have a buddy on each side of them to help them play which is great.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Enjoying Ark Nova a bunch now, we've seen some really weird games pop out where people win with only 2 upgraded cards etc. I managed to skip buying the 5 card upgrade last night and wrecked face.

The biggest thing about the game compared to TFM for me is how the money flow works - in TFM you generally always had a use for more money, but the games I've lost badly have often been games where I end up with 50 money and no effective way to turn it into points. We've also found that the breaks vary hugely - a lot of how you win is timing your resources so that a break shows up when you need it and nobody else does.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Finished MicroMacro 1 and the bonus website cases, and the second one's sitting there ready to go. Absolutely great throughout - I can't imagine playing it with more than two though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Tekopo posted:

i think the only deckbuilder that felt like a pure deckbuilder but still managed to do something different and also have a different dynamic of deckbuilding that I found interesting was Eminent Domain.

I quite enjoyed that but man the whole 'if you do the technology strategy your turns last forever as you have to go through a huge pile of cards looking at them all to decide what you want, if you don't your turns take 30 seconds' was rough. Presumably it improves once everyone's memorised all the tech cards....

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Arzaac posted:

Alright, that's fair, I get that. I recently bought Ark Nova (at GenCon as you might expect) and I felt like there was a similar problem, where the game itself is intuitive enough but the rulebook was extremely wordy and very dry.

i've been having a poo poo of a time with Imperium's rulebook, the game itself is one of those really simple rulesets + complexity that comes from card sets, but man I had to reread the cleanup phase section about 8 times and work through it with the cards before I understood what the point of the token shuffling was (it's just a simple latch to prevent you getting the reshuffle benefit more than once a round)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig!
It plays 3-7 and turns are taken simultaneously, preventing a lot of down time.

The game has been a succes whenever I take it to board game gatherings.

This is also real good because new players have a buddy on each side of them to help them, and there's an ios app to score castles now which solves the major problem of the piece text being VERY TINY

Cartographers works out of the box, and Railroad Ink is sold in paired sets where you probably end up buying both, which allows 8-12 depending on edition. Dixit is also good - all these are easy games.

Steampunk Rally plays up to 8 no problem and again is simultaneous play, but is a little trickier. I've played 8 no problem though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

My teets group is driving me batty, we learned Red Rising last night and one of the players was complaining about his faction card being weak before we finished with the rules or had seen any other cards. C'mon son.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Just dropped into the local junk shop for costume bits and they had a whole wall of clearly-counterfeit games - azul/catan/splendours all for 50% of local RRP. They were in with the usual bunch of clearly off label clones but not even trying to hide the fakeness (pretty sure they've never been in hinge-fold boxes..) - kind of wild that it's so open.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Elysium posted:

While we're talking about Terraforming Mars, maybe someone can answer this question for me.

So, essentially, outside of a few specific card effects, the purpose of Steel (tools symbol) is to give you discounts on Building Cards (House Symbol), and the purpose of Titanium (Star symbol) is to give you discounts on Space Cards (Burst symbol).

SO WHY THE gently caress DON'T THEY JUST USE THE HOUSE AND BURST SYMBOL FOR BOTH?

I am okay with this, they use the same colour but different shapes for resource vs tag.

We've been playing it a bunch on TTS through the pandemic because we have a few people who really like it and it's an easy default option - i won't claim it's the best game in the pile but accumulating a bunch of toys isn't actively unpleasant.

anyway, who wants a quick game with a few mods added?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

SettingSun posted:

What in god's name is this nightmare

and where can I play it?

It's this: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2616295/epic-terraforming-mars

Basically a compilation of all the fanmade expansions they can find into one huge game. It has 38 pages of rules and i can't imagine even teaching it to our gang.

however, we have grabbed a lot of the extra projects / corps /preludes from it and brought them back into the main game, and they provide quite a bit of variety - everyone enjoys the occasional dumb big payoff card and it includes them for a bunch of strategies. In particular all the special tiles with adjacency bonuses help a lot with making the board more important, and the bag of randomised awards/milestones is good too.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

fr0id posted:

What’s the best place to sell board games? I’ve got a pretty decent collection, quite a few opened but unplayed, and I just don’t think I’m ever gonna get a lot of these games actually played. Also, if I posted a list of games, would folks be able to recommend what’s worth keeping and what isn’t?

there are like 3 local FB groups for boardgame sales in my city of 400k and games appear and go real fast, I'd check that to start with.

(got near-mint Feast for Odin for 1/3 retail recently from them)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Steampunk Rally demonstrates a part of enginebuilding I miss elsewhere, which is that parts of your engine can break and fall off.

Getting into Res Arcana and enjoying it though my buddy complaining about his cards being bad on game loving TWO was very annoying.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

that minicampaign looks great, Space Base had an expansion with a similar deal (deck of cards for a campaign, mechanics change each game, once you're done they're all just expansion mechanics you keep using) and it was an absolute blast.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Looking back this year, my fave games were, by far, MicroMacro 1/2 - i've got the third on order.

Fave new purchase game that actually has winners: Res Arcana and the expansions, we've managed to get quite a few games in the last few months.

Most played: still Terraforming Mars on teets, because I have a couple of buddies who would start it up every night after getting their kids down. Ark Nova is coming in second, and at least both of these displaced Tapestry in my teets groups.

Betrayal: finally got Feast for Odin, to find out my game groups don't really like it much. gently caress.

White whale that finally got played: Terra Mystica, i've had this on the shelf for 3-4 years and got a game in YESTERDAY.

Biggest purchase regret: New York Zoo.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

MizuZero posted:

what’s the tallest deck for a single game you’ve ever encountered? played a 4p ascension at a monthly like seven years ago that I think was the first eight expansions sleeved, deck was split into three piles otherwise it would have for sure fallen over but would have been about just under a meter high in one piece. It was regular vp pool so the game took an hour which probably doesn’t justify the effort the guy took to set up and shuffle. fun novelty but ultimately pretty dumb because it diluted the card pool hard

i've mentioned it before but we're playing TFM on TTS these with a 1500 card project deck

it's degenerate as hell but those latenight teets sessions aren't about serious gameplay, they're chatting while rolling the dice on whether you get the wacky new combo we haven't seen before.

(every time I see the 77-cost 'draw a new corp and a new prelude from several options' i have to play it even though it ends up being awful, now that's a good steel dump)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Memnaelar posted:

I love board gaming discourse, you know I do, BUT (Stephen A. Smith-style) what IS it about boardgamers popping off their mouths about how a game is unbalanced after ONE PLAY where a strategy took a high score? Let's use a little scientific method perhaps and see if the strategy repeats with the same playgroup after everyone's familiar with that potential scoring avenue? Hell, in the time you spend writing a thread and responding angrily that you know what you're talking about, you could likely play the game a few more times and figure out if your one-time experience is actually indicative of a problem that eluded hundred or thousands of playtest games?

I dunno, man. Games.

i play with a dude who will start complaining about getting the wrong faction or whatever *while i'm still explaining the rules* of our first play

it really stood out with Res Arcana when he had only looked at the 4 starter cards you get and was unhappy with the mage. it was one of the preset 'learn to play' hands...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

bobvonunheil posted:

So I've just received 2 copies of Frosthaven.

However I definitely only ordered one, and one has come from Germany whereas the other came from my normal distribution route (Aetherworks) - I live in Western Australia for the record.

I've already unpacked the one delivered to me via the normal route, and I feel like sending the other back would just cost them more money, especially if it ends up going back to Germany.

What would you do, goons? Return it or redistribute it?

This just happened to our group in NZ too. Can't have been cheap!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Infinitum posted:

Learning how to do the Teach well is a skill people should develop if they're regularly hosting. The difference between a good and bad Teach typically boils down to "how well have you read the manual" most of the time.

Yeah there's nothing more frustrating than watching someone teach a game you like really badly and watching the interest and attention drain out of the group.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The weird races expansion did solve the asymmetry but i felt like it went way too far - each race was so focused that you really had to lean into the thing it did which meant that the game felt much less interesting.

My biggest gripe with the base game was having a huge number of buildings you had to consider coupled with having them be the same every game - it was super painful at the table when learning/teaching the game too. Became a lot less painful on TTS but still.

Last time we played we just picked 3 random races and swapped their buildings in and ignored the actual special races, and it wasn't bad.

I also want to try this at some point: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1128291/random-selection-goals-variant-variable-setup

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Knocked off the third MicroMacro game, still great, still a heap of extra cases and followon stories from previous maps going on there. Really looking forward to laying out all 4 maps, though I think we've spotted all of the cross-map cases entering map 3 at least.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

We've been playing a bit of Viticulture World, and it's quite tricky

Definitely play a few games of Viticulture first before jumping straight back into this one though...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

LifeLynx posted:

New York Zoo: Too fiddly with squeezing all those animal meeples on the polyomino pieces combined with the rotating action selection. It's a mess and so difficult to tell what's happening on other players' boards that it's not worth the effort. Isle of Cats is still the only polyomino game I enjoy.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with this one - wish Barenpark played five instead.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Astro7x posted:

That's already some good Wingspan advice. Thanks!

Never very fun playing a game with someone for the first time and gives you zero advice. Reminds me of playing Space Base for the first time, and not realizing how important the dice manipulation cards were.

space base is a weird one because we went through a few iterations of 'what's super broken' and eventually converged on 'if you get a top VP card in the 1-6 slot first, you probably win, if you can't get a good card in those slots save up to buy a yellow card' which seems to outrace other engines 75% of the time. Buying any card in slot 7+ seems to be a trap.

Would be interesting to sim it at some point.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Played a couple of sessions of Welcome To the Moon, game is fine, but the arrangement of stuff in the box is unhinged - there are a couple of decks of cards that are sealed and labelled 'don't open yet', but it turns out you have to open them anyway to pull out some important cards to start with. Exactly one vital card in each sealed deck

played us for absolute fools, etc

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

an actual dog posted:

I think you might just be good at presenting games. There's definitely games that were presented to me poorly that I hated at first but eventually liked, and games that enjoyed more than maybe I would otherwise just because the person presenting them got excited.

I just wish people would be less lovely about reacting to games they don't like the first time - i'd like to play Imperium more than once but one of my standard players called it Slow Dominion after one play and now that comes up every time and i guess i'll just throw it in the trash?

Illiterati was a hit, though, finally got that to the table last night.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

El Fideo posted:

I played Oceans for the first time tonight. It was pretty cool! It starts off simple enough, playing creature characteristics, making little combos, getting a couple points, not bad.

As soon as the Deep cards hit the tableaus the whole thing goes into overdrive! I got one fish that could have as many characteristics as I played to it, but had to score that many points every turn or else it died, and I instantly started putting all my eggs into that basket. I got the lowest score, so letting my other species die was probably not the right idea. The final scores actually were an inverse of the point handicaps handed out for player order, which is interesting.

I'm jonesing to play it again! It's cool that you're always interested in other players' turns, and constantly changing your species in reaction to what they're doing.

I did like this one, but take Coprophagia out of the deep deck, it ruins the game.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Admiralty Flag posted:

On another note: I think I may be done with Viticulture. The game is just too reliant on visitor cards. Whether it's the base set or the Rhine Valley replacements, there's so much variability that it can really turn the game on a dime...or keep you standing still. "Build a cottage," you say, "and get twice as many cards, improving your odds of getting a good card!" Ehh, if I wanted a game with two stacks of random cards that ruled your success in the game, I'd pull out Monopoly.

What burns me is not that they're all super-good, but that some are "earn $2 or plant a vine" and others are "upgrade your cellar (a $6 savings if you go from medium to large)." If they all had roughly equal utility, or if you had to go out of your way to draw them -- or maybe no one gets them after the start unless you have the cottage, in which case you get one of your choice each year -- maybe the game would be more enjoyable.

This also made Viticulture World largely crap for me - it was fun checking out each of the continents once, but the actual gameplay is just cycling through looking for the visitor cards that are busted in co-op and getting them to the right person while hoping that the ridic sell wine tile comes out.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

The fun part with Dominion has been that my buddy and I have roughly split the expansions, so we needed to arrange the same cheap lovely sleeves to have compatible games.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Chill la Chill posted:

Raccoon tycoon and NY Zoo are some of my recent biggest disappointments as well and for the same reasons. Such a shame, we could've had a cutthroat economics game with cute bougie raccoons smdh

Yeah I sold NY Zoo at the convention a few weeks ago, just ... not very interesting. I also really didn't enjoy setup with the stacks of polyominoes on the table in the notches.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

some players are more distractable than others

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

We've been having a great time with Welcome To.. the Moon - 8 very different roll and writes on the same engine, coupled with a little legacy campaign, works great for us.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Checked out the new board game cafe/shop that moved to a few blocks from me, and they had the second Space Base minilegacy expansion that i didn't even know exists, i'm so psyched for next week now, the first minilegacy expansion was an absolute high.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

SettingSun posted:

As much as I like Venus Next thematically and conceptually I leave it out more than I play it. Prelude stays in, as does Colonies because I think the moons add an interesting strategy layer and alternate means of getting some resources. Never played Turmoil.

Turmoil is awful and contributes to the way-too-long game in several different ways - the loss of TR each round is the feeling-miserable cherry on top.

Best way to use it is to forget all the turmoil mechanics and just stack the ruling party tiles face down, shuffle, and flip one each generation, reshuffling when you finish - you get almost the same result as spending that extra 45 minutes on delegate turns and it adds incentives for placing tiles on the map. It's a shame most of the new cards deal with votes/parties. You can do something similar with the events if you want to mix it up but they take time to resolve so we don't bother.

Colonies makes the game longer because they tend in aggregate to encourage not terraforming - it takes a long time and investment for the heat/plant colonies to be better than just doing it directly. We don't play with colonies most of the time even though we're playing with about 300 extra corps/preludes and 1000 extra projects lifted from the giga expansion.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Narsham posted:

3. No support. If the whole group is focused on keeping summons alive, their utility jumps considerably. The problem is that several of the characters who can tank probably won't want to or won't be able to for your melee summons. Circles can try to provide support alone, but that's insufficient. You really need a dedicated character who pulls focus from melee summons; the advantage is that you can, in turn, have the summons pull focus from that character when necessary. That means having coordination internally.

I think this is the #1 thing - any chance you have to keep a summon alive as a player in a group with summons, it's probably a good idea, because each round they survive multiplies their total effectiveness. If I'm going to survive the mission anyway, then throwing a card to absorb a hit as a player is a better deal than letting a summon die because it didn't cost an action to get it out in the first place.

it certainly helps that some of the Frosthaven summons are *totally adorable* though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Glazius posted:

Played two games at the weekend game club, but one of them was Caverna: The Cave Farmers (+ Forgotten Folk) so that was most of the day there. We had mountain dwarves, pale ones, cave goblins, humans (me) and trolls. Overall just a 10-point spread between first and last, which was pretty surprising considering we had three newbies including two to the game.
[...]

I (humans) won with a combination of a cooking cave early and a 4-pasture manure pile and the pale ones' schnapps parlor late to get that extra 10 points from my pile of stored vegetables. Entire field was overhangs, and I only dug out 4 additional caverns, two of which (plus my starter) just had normal dwellings in them. I honestly figured I was fairly behind since I didn't get a big combination or very much special, but I did build a whole lot of pastures and was rapidly breeding 3 or 4 animals per harvest and just leaving them there.

I find I've gone off caverna a bit with the expansion because it felt like it pigeonholed the folk types a bit much - like, the asymmetry is so high that if mountain dwarves and humans and trolls are at the table, the action spaces all get nicely split up and the game gets a bit predictable. Kind of wish they were less all or nothing into their various gimmicks.

Next time we play I'm intending to just shuffle in a random subset of forgotten folk buildings instead of using the full boards and abilities, hoping that'll thread the needle for me. I like the game but I just want some variety of options each time we play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah I think the fact BGG exists and people can talk in game-specific forums means that general-purpose boardgaming stuff elsewhere is less required.