Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

switch to weed, its so much better than booze anyway

While I don't get a hangover w weed, I definitely get a depression-swing the next day. I'm paying for my fun when tomorrow comes, one way or another.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I knew it wouldn’t stop anyone from getting it it was just shocking that 7 people I know all got it right at the same time after having gone this long and not getting it.

We just had two today in our social group on an island where we've usually had <10/day per 150,000, and they were at an outdoor BBQ with us Sunday :( God knows how hard and fast it's hitting here, but I'm going to guess it's going to ramp up significantly, and our hospital capacity is quite small.

No symptoms for me yet, but drinking lots of water and resting a lot for the rest of the day.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

She was not the progressive champion she is made to be, although in fairness she was technically more progressive than a lot of her contemporaries. But that’s indictment of the contemporaries more than praise of RGB.

This is about where I’m at. The left has nothing to balance out the massively far-right judges and justices that make up the majority of the courts, so our flawed centrists are heroes by default, having done nothing to earn that title except for not being a total piece of poo poo.

And yeah, the whole ‘hubris dooming the US to annihilation’ thing, while also technically accurate, is more of an indictment of how insane it is that we’re sitting on a knife edge of getting dragged back to the 1920’s, socioeconomically, and the country is fine with that.

Also her passing and the Garland fiasco ripped away the last shred of cover that the Repubs weren’t hypocritical extremists, but the resulting lack of outrage or consequences set the stage for the high-octane ratcheting rightwards since then.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I have three shirts from a Gadzooks in a mall that look amazing after 23 years.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Apple II+ for me, though the neighbors had a TI and a Commodore 64, so we didn’t miss out on anything early.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Meatloaf claimed the song Total Eclipse of the Heart was written for him to perform, but his company didn’t pay the composer and instead it went to Bonnie Tyler.

Also that song’s original title was Vampires in Love, and was for a musical about vampires.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

T-Square posted:

I was half interested in watching it but then a guy I know who has God awful taste in movies and shows wouldn’t stfu about how great it was in one of our group chats. He’s my litmus test for movies and TV, if he thinks it’s good (he un-ironically started gushing about how great the Twilight series is once while we all just stared slack jawed at him) it’s a non-starter for me. Seems like my method is sound once again!

I have a semi-friend like this, his current favorite show that he praises is "This is Us".

Don't know what it's about, don't want to know what it's about.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Barudak posted:

Do you like shows that could be dismissively referred to as "weepies" ? If so This is Us is tailor made for you.

I suppose.

I guess I feel like if I wanted to get horribly depressed I'd just turn on the news channel, it's not necessarily a 30-60 minute investment, and each 1-2 minute segment competes with the others to be the most terrible.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

My wife gets Prime free for 6 months through school. I plowed through the Expanse and I just started The Boys. Anything else on there I should try to get through?

There's two seasons of The Tick, a remake of a remake of a cartoon.

You'll know if you'll like it by two episodes in, but I loving loved Jackie Earle Haley as the villain.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'll second Fleabag, although it can be quite cringe to watch at times, but that's kind of the point of it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

probably kind of tough to sell the producers on the pitch where every character is bigoted as hell, even the ones where you're trying to market some action figures for them.

Unless you're going for strict historical accuracy instead of any sort of entertainment.

Speaking of bigotry, some friends of ours are an interracial couple with kids, and last week they were telling me gut wrenching stories of the disgusting number of times they've been arrested/detained because some racist thought they had kidnapped the kids, or some other bullshit. This apparently started a few minutes after the birth of the first child, when dad (white) was confronted by the head nurse of natal, who didn't know the races of the couple, and wouldn't let dad touch his kid because 'his wife had obviously cheated on him with a negro.' Rural Idaho hospital, but still. This was only 12-13 years ago. They've had to carry around birth certificates and family photos just to avoid jail.

Yesterday they went into a local ice cream shop, dad's holding one of the two kids, they're holding hands as they go in, and midway through their order the owner pushes aside the employee helping them and stopped one of the kids from getting a scoop, and repeatedly questioned dad as to whose kids they were, even though he was clear that he was paying for all of them. They walked out, and apparently most of the other customers did as well. But for one of the kids, it was the first time getting a face full of abject racism, and they're not handling it too well.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

gently caress man that is really loving lovely. I’m in an interracial marriage with a kid, but my wife is
Lighter brown. My kid looks pretty much white, which I didn’t really expect, but I guess it makes sense.

Never had to face any crazy racist poo poo like you’re describing. I want to be amazed that stupid poo poo like that still happens, but I guess I’m not. I don’t even know what I would do if some random idiot started questioning my kid if I was really his dad. Has it always been like this, or is it worse because of Qanon?

They said they’ve been dealing with it constantly for over a decade. I think it’s always been like this.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Congrats BS!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

dancing mad?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I've become a trivia snob.

I think the road downhill for me started with Genus III of Trivial Pursuit back in the 90's, where it changed over from normal poo poo to a combination of pop culture and the advent of the split between 'far too easy' and 'blatantly impossible' for the rest of the categories. The internet, of course, helped ruin things, but stuff like pub trivia followed suit, so you'd get like nine questions where every team knew the answer, and one question that only one person in the bar would get because it just so happened his favorite hobby was North African ethnobotany.

I did LearnedLeague for a year, but those questions always do the Jeopardy! thing where there's two clues to the answer inside the question, which annoys me because it's either you knew it off the legitimate hard part of the clue but the easy part makes it worthless, or you didn't know the hard part and you feel dumb for having to use the author's hand-hold to get there.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

Other sources corroborate this information.

Also
https://twitter.com/civmilair/status/1496526316123959315?s=21

I just love the name "Doomsday Plane."

so.. uh....

what's a Doomsday plane, exactly?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Yes, I remember.

I also remember that everyone was trying to one-up each other with bigger or wilder sandwiches, and then someone posted a simple mustard smear. Timing is everything. I'm smiling remembering it right now.

Voila! Your mustard.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

No, I don't require nudity as payment for beads. He can just be his adorable and dim self and I will give him pretty much whatever he wants.

What about Leo, though

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

I read Clive Cussler books too haha

I read all of them up until ~1996, after he had wrung every possible drop out of Pitt and switched main characters.

I can’t imagine being a writer who gets stuck writing the same poo poo for decades, despite probably getting paid well, and just mindlessly churning out Mary Sue parp.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Agatha Christie slaps, and could write fantastic mysteries. Hollywood needs to use more of her ideas.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Kalli posted:

Hearing y'all talk about that makes me realize how many radiology images I've looked at and have absolutely zero idea what any of it means.

“This is your brain.”

“This is your brain on drugs.”

“Any questions?”

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Congrats!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I need a mental health month.

I've applied for a new job - the current one is fine as far as hours/pay/vacation/retirement/commute, but two of my three government clients are hair-pullingly awful. The third one is great, but it's not enough to offset the frustration from the other two, who take up most of my time. I don't feel too badly for potentially leaving, though, as I was involuntarily placed in this particular spot six years ago, and there's no sign of it changing any time in the next four years, or possibly more. The new job would be an upgrade on everything except free-time and vacation time. I have a stupid amount of leave built up at the moment. It doesn't help that the one other acquaintance in my office that I told I was applying for this other job to has gone and told other attorneys in the office that I'm leaving, not real happy about that.

I have no idea what the day-to-day of the new job would be, but the pay + perks + future growth opportunities would be so far above the current job that I almost don't care. I have a drat good chance at this one, 18 years of experience, much of which is exactly what they're looking for - and the 'they' is someone who has openly expressed an eagerness to either hire me or my wife to this position. I started out this month kind of 50/50 on whether or not to jump ship, and the last week has made me like 95/5 on leaving if I get it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

That bird would have been able to drink legally today.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Got an interview this week for the Fed job. Big jump in pay and benefits. Also nearly left my marriage again last week. My life is a land of contrasts.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

*taps microphone*

*clears throat*

gently caress Duke.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We have a weirdass white sphere in our sky, north and up about 25 degrees from horizon, not moving much, as if it were a moon, if the moon were 1/30th its size.

I think a surprising amount of people in 2022 would be like ‘sure, let’s go aliens, can’t be much worse.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Download SkyMap and point your phone at it!

Will try one w satellite tracking, Star Walk didn’t have anything big showing.

Edit: also much more west than north

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Doesn’t seem to be a satellite either. Will wait until my neighbors w the telescope wake up and provide an update.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Weather balloons are still in common usage.

The only thing that makes me think it’s not that is that it’s way behind the clouds, fairly large, and moving like a star/moon would with the rotation.

It’s where Kornephoros in the constellation Hercules seems to be.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

You could ask in the astronomy thread, but geostationary satellites are way too small to appear as a visible disc (geo orbits are very very high), and it's very weird that it's moving with the rotation of the stars if it's just a high atmosphere thing like a balloon. I'm not finding any news about e.g. a supernova in Hercules, either.

Beta Hercules (Kornephoros) is a very bright star, 2.78 magnitude, but you absolutely could not resolve it as a disc, even through a telescope.

Can you take a picture?

My iPhone 8 camera sucks poo poo, but I’ll have the wife do it.

It’s 8:12am, sun is out, and it’s still highly visible.
I’ll check in a few minutes to see how much it’s processed around the background star. Neighbors should be awake as well w telescope.

I mean I know it’s 99.9% a weather balloon, but I can see why people freak out about them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

And of course it's brighter/bigger than the photos show.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

A lovely phone camera pic of probably-a-UFO can get you a shitload of views on social media, if that's a thing you'd enjoy. Might as well!

It'll hit soon enough, everyone on the island can see it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Still close to Kornephoros but not tracking it exactly, so probably just in upper atmosphere.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

There would be so, so many doomers cheering on the aliens.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Atmospheric data collection balloon, is what I’m being told. Accounts for the size.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

That's what they say about yo momma! ROASTED

nooooooooo

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

The flip side problem is that appointed judges and DA’s will allow whoever appointed them to get away with everything up to and including literal murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Coroners should be elected and required to run the dirtiest of campaigns by law.

"Unlike my opponent, I promise your loved one will not become someone else's loved one."

I got to witness one of the more bizarre coroner campaigns in history - back around 2000-2001, one of my friends noticed that Madison never had any Republicans running for that office. He and I were part of a nihilist/lunatic political party at UW, which had at one point included Integral, for older SA lore.

He ran as basically a mad scientist, posters up of him covered in viscera, I can’t remember if he repeated the live vivisection stunt we’d done earlier, but you can imagine the direction it went.

He got like 24% of the vote.