Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can't believe some of you people think Karen Moy needs writing assistance or replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

How Wonderful! posted:

How quickly we forget Aldo Kelrast

Aldo was a character for the Aldomania storyline. Regular characters include Wilbur and Dawn, Professor Ian and Toby, Dr Jeff, and probably Estelle, Tommy, and Iris at this point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

someone awful. posted:

i looked it up, and the first strip mentioning wilbur is march 25, 1993. he buys an apartment in charterstone and gets bullied by Ian Whatshisface for writing an advice column for women.

he was every bit as much of a dweeb then as now.

Do you have links to the story?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kennel posted:

Oh yeah, the child was terrified of a doctor with evil aura or something.

Wasn’t he named something hilarious like Dr Kaput?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Oscar is always the name of the floating dummies ships used for drill so it’s extra easy for new sailors to remember.

Specifically because the Oscar flag is hoisted on a ship with man overboard.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
And what of the comestibles which you may purchase upon the Manchester Flying Coach?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NRVNQSR posted:

Nah, top quality bullshit soap opera writing would maintain the illusion that he's dead for six months or so, then have him reappear at the most awkward time possible.

But at this point I have no evidence that Moy can write any characters who aren't Wilbur, so I guess that may not be an option.

No, she does a good job with a lot of characters and stories. Here she's giving the people what they want, giving the syndicate what gets the clicks and the attention.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shugojin posted:

while i'm uncertain why anyone would send hatemail to a child to begin with, doubly why the hell aren't her parents throwing it out before it gets to her

Ask Wil Wheaton.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not qualified to speak as to whether Pastis is liberal, centrist, or slightly conservative. All I know is he has made a shitload of strips attacking people who ride bikes, portraying them as pompous assholes who everyone should hate. So I'm not inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Those strips are actually specifically jabs at a friend of his.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

And even today you still see occasional smoker mad that they can't stink up any space they want to. :bahgawd:

I feel like this is gonna be one of those things where kids will start assuming it was banned in like the 50s and be shocked when they find out otherwise.

Like lead paint

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Bonus dating tip!

I love the idea that guys will just pull out the class phone roster and call girls to make notes on whether or not they are socially active.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is that he's playing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_(card_game)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Two from Ellison Hoover, including a nod to a Rube Goldberg creation.

Same as it ever was...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

I'd forgotten how amazingly bad Allen's Mark Trail was. Look at Doc's head in that middle panel! Look at all of the faces! :roflolmao:

James Allen was a lovely person and a worse comics artist.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zereth posted:

oh god Tinkerson's Dad don't do that

Coffee flavored keyboard goop?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Another for the “boy, this strip aged poorly” list.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, it worked for Scary Movie.

Did it really?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Funky Winkerbean - March 26, 1972

Fifty. Years.

IDGI, where is the balding overweight alcoholic title character?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days September 10, 1959

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVZ7snUGfI

Well that wasn't LT Riley

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s so strange to imagine a time when teaching was seen as a stable and comfortable career.

It was considered an appropriate career for a young unmarried woman who was expected to quit after she got married and had kids.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I mean, if I could spend an hour a day reusing family clip art and spend the rest of my time woodcarving or whatever else I actually want to do, that would loving rule.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

riderchop posted:

i think it should be a real time travel plot and when he comes back to the present everything's different

It really should. But, despite presenting himself as a superhero comics superfan, TomBat would never do a major timeline reset because he can't bring himself to alter the one thing that has given his life meaning.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

So, am I the only one who doesn't remember this storyline even slightly? I was surprised when it kept going after the first one.

It has a whole collection named after it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good Listener posted:

Popcorn is actually pretty healthy as long as you're not like slamming kettle corn or super buttery movie stuff? I dunno I saw this and am angry. Popcorn is good :mad:

Look at the panel. The sugar, fat, and sodium levels are huge so it's obviously one of those super flavored caramel butter corn concoctions.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

davidspackage posted:

I wish I could unsee Bernice's O-face in the last panel

That's a lot classier than the BJ joke I was going to make.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

2. Why can't you bring your kid into the changing room?

She did, she just got so wrapped up in her self loathing that she didn't notice the kid crawled under the door and left.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rannum posted:

things are metaphors until they aren't and then they can be metaphors again but sometimes the metaphor is different or multiple things at once until they arent

holbrook is king of "does not think anything through"

So Holbrook and Ishida went to the same cartooning school.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigglesSWE posted:

During World War II, the Italian Front got a bit overshadowed after D-Day, with the public interest waning over the slow advance up the Italian peninsula when the invasion and liberation of France were seen as more important and successful.

The phrase "D-Day Dodgers" popped up during this time, referring to those serving in Italy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day_Dodgers

"the soldiers in Italy felt that their sacrifices were being ignored after the invasion of Normandy, and a "D-Day Dodger" was a reference to someone who was supposedly avoiding real combat by serving in Italy, whereas the reality was anything but."

Just a walk in the sun.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

It's such a specific thing to include though. The papacy doesn't move much, it's the Bishop of Rome after all, so I don't know why he has decided it would be an appropriate thing to move here.

Other than the Avignon Papacy yeah. It's weird because Foster is usually pretty good about these things. I mean, he mashes a bunch of historic events into the same time period but he usually doesn't make up major historic events.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Lovely Horse posted:

as opposed to...?

lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

Chiming in to say that I really hate this

I teach high schoolers. I'm a fairly laid-back and personable teacher; I get along well with most of my students.
That said, I don't think any of them would imagine inviting me to a graduation party and I wouldn't imagine accepting. The issues of professionalism and just general "adulting" don't seem to matter to Les though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I swear to god one the name just below the neck hole is "gotiddy".

Joe Hickey

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Life in Hell

Note that these are boomer memories of childhood rhymes, and yet I still remember (slightly different versions of) them from elementary school. Although my boomer mom probably taught me a couple.

The study of memes was a lot more intriguing before you could just trace everything to 4chan or some guy on TikTok.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

Oh yeah, we also have some :siren:Crabgrass:siren: news via Tauhid's Patreon!

You can find his Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/7auhid

Do we know what syndicate or papers he'll debut in?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Resident Idiot posted:

Yeah, Frazz is independently wealthy from some song he wrote, which is relevant to the strip approximately 0% of the time.

It's relevant to explain why a school janitor can afford fancy bikes and have the emotional capital to "share his wisdom" with the kids and subtly mock all the faculty and staff he works with.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

somepartsareme posted:

Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago

Maybe he’ll match his gender inequality arc by making this ultimately about old white guys again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

Is it just me or does Arlo seem uncharacteristically prudish today?

I think he's actually worried about her health.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Now break that down by population density.

I'm referring specifically to Huey calling out St Louis.