Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New year, new thread! You love to see it.

My only contribution to this thread (other than the complaining about Funky Winkerbean and Luann, two top tier hate-reads for me) is to post the one-panel strip Ballard Street. Drawn and written by Jerry Van Amerongen, Ballard Street shows us a window into a community ripe with crazy (but delightfully benign) boomers. There are no recurring characters to speak of, and in my years of reading it, I think I've only seen one example of an overarching plot (lasting a whopping two days). But many of the people on Ballard Street own dogs, who tend to be just as crazy as their masters.

I try to post once a week, usually Friday or Saturday. Jerry Van Amerongen is currently enjoying his well-deserved retirement, so these are all re-runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

“I don’t need this”, Christ, it’s really all about you Bern, isn’t it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Samovar posted:

I would wish to see more of proto-Ballard Street.

Also, lol Wilbur.

I too, would love to see more of this proto-Ballard Street.

But until then, there's actual Ballard Street! This week: A rare sighting of a Ballard Street child!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Drakyn posted:

I legitimately have no idea if we're meant to find this guy to be humorous or just the worst person to ever live. It'd be easier if everyone else in Funky wasn't ALSO a wryly-smirking rear end in a top hat exulting in how huge they are in their small pond.

This is driving me nuts too. This band leader guy is drawn in the most smug way imaginable but the way Baituk writes his escapades make me think that we are to be “oh you silly :allears: but how the gently caress could I possibly react to that smug face with anything but contempt, never mind the fact that he’s a egocentric loser who thinks he’s the best thing since sliced bread. Madness, all of it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Better late than never, it's Ballard Street!

This batch includes at least two top tier avatar pics, take a guess which ones!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

MyronMulch posted:

I'm finding I'm enjoying Funky Winkerbean much more if I mentally substitute ahegao faces for the smug faces

I know I’m a broken record with this but this band leader guy has the most insufferable smug face in Funkyverse and that is a goddamn achievement.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

One of my pet-peeves is the hand thing in FOOB. It annoys me to no end.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I read today's Funky on Son of Stuck Funky and to be honest, I think Dinkle is far more obnoxious than Les. Wallowing in endless self pity over your wife dying twenty years ago is bad, but weapons level smuggery over being a second rate band teacher in some Ohio town is, I think, far worse.

To me the biggest sin is the notion that any reader of the comic would seriously want to follow the escapades of a smug band director. I mean the comic is named Funky Winkerbean, after the character of the same name: why the gently caress are we constantly farting around with this smug asshat and his egocentric ramblings about the Glory Days?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Technowolf posted:

What if the murderer ... :crossarms: was CANCER!

Cancer She Wrote, coming this fall on Showtime.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

:allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

I’ve been an intern at a museum. At one point I got to help carrying around a sarcophagus that was thousands of years old, and heavy to boot!

But the highlight was when they showed me a mummified head that was the spitting image of Rudy Giuliani. I mean, chillingly similar.

That’s my mummy stories.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ngl I've always found it to be somewhat charming whenever Luann flashbacks retain the old-style art. It's a nice admission that the comic isn't created from a vacuum.

But these are just straight up reruns?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I took a sneak peek on today’s Funky Winkerbean and you’d better believe we’re going back to Hollywood, it’s Oscars season!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

EasyEW posted:

I'm not going to be able to do a full post tonight, but you really should see this anyway.

Welcome to That Deep, Shuddering Sigh When You Start Trying To Think Ahead Of Monday's "Funky Winkerbean"!

Marianne was the actor who almost committed suicide over an inaccurate gossip story, right?

And then, thanks to her playing Saint Lisa, she quickly discovered she had cancer herself that was quickly ripped out.

She’s up for an Oscar, she’s gonna win it, and she’ll spend her entire speech thanking Les Moore.

There, I’ve finished your story for you Baituk, where’s my check?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Green Intern posted:

So we either get Les Moore's greatest triumph, having his wife immortalized in cinema forever, or a lot of smug moralizing after the fact when this lady is passed over for some other less-worthy performance.

I’m leaning towards both actually: she won’t get the award BUT she’ll stop Les as he’s huffing and puffing about it to give him a personal speech of what she WOULD have said if she won. Which is all about him and Lisa, ofc.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I like the idea of living through a Batman caper through the eyes of innocent bystanders. I’m sure it’s been done in official DC comics but it’s a cute set up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I really appreciate the lengths Bizarro goes through to make a comic out of every conceivable pun in existence.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He’s gonna do Captain Planet only more insufferable. Somehow.

Never watched that show I don’t think but I feel it couldn’t be close to this smug.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

(Only Snyder I'll ever be a fan of).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Sorry, I just saw this first thing and it can't wait any longer.

And The Award For "Outstanding Achievement In Shifting My Breakfast" Goes To...

This really was a Catch-22 for us all. Baituk has her winning here, so we'll get a week or so of smug "Lisa's Story is the most important thing to ever happen in the universe, grovel you mortals", but if he had her lose instead, it'd be a week or so of smug "decadent Hollywood don't care about true art and can't comprehend the genius of Lisa's Story".

I'm honestly surprised he didn't drag out the whole reveal to her win over a week but I'm assuming her speech (which will be all about Les Moore ofc) will cover that stretch instead.

Ugghhhh what tripe.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The way Tombat writes the storylines for his smug Hollywood fantasy buddies reminds me of the first act of Birdemic, where everything goes great for the main characters…meeting a hot girl, getting a big sale, selling the company for a billion dollars, girl gets huge modelling gig…everything is just peachy perfect and awesome.

Same thing with these dorks. Stupid bland Star Wars ripoff is huge success and elevates characters to superstars and now the circlejerk movie about the Passion of Saint Lisa gets the actress an Oscar, in the least stacked field of competitors in almost a century, somehow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Oooo, that's one of the ones from Life. And that's from Carl Anderson, the guy who created Henry.

Anyway, today is the day we've been dreading for years, because...

(deep, shuddering sigh)

:siren: LES MOORE GETS HIS UNDESERVED VICTORY LAP :siren:

She delivers the moment of truth directly to the reader. TomBat is mocking us.

Of course, this strip having the history it does, maybe he dropped the popcorn because he had a stroke

Lisa's greatest legacy was dying so her hack husband could milk her tragic life in the real life and in this made up fanfiction nonsense. It's abysmal.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street, featuring chicken!

It me.

Whatever works for you.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ngl that's a great face on Tiffany in that last panel.

I've noticed vaguely better art from Luann lately.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 15, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is fully invalidated by the awful dog continuing to be drawn like that

Eh, I'm fine with it. It has a personality to it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The smug self importance of Funky really is something. “This is AA, ofc these lowlifes will want to hear me drone on about the boomer adventures me and my wife has been through!”

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Tiggum posted:

It's like that old saying: "If at first you don't succeed, you're a complete failure and should give up and never try anything again."

For some of us, it’s a momentous step to ever break out of this mindset, is all I’m gonna say.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Slammy posted:

Up Front March 12, 1945

Love this one. Up Front is so good you guys.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

All grownups being so tired of their saccharine poo poo is always a nice touch.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That’s cute, and it might be wishful thinking on my part, but sort of relatable for my teenage years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ballard Street

I'm obviously biased but man, I love Ballard Street :allears: