Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

I am stupid enough, consequences be damned!

(But I will spoiler it if that's all right.)

What. the. gently caress. :psyduck:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Was Rex Morgan always this insane of a comic? I can't look away, like it's a gory car accident.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

So a couple of folks over in GBS have posted their personal archives of SA stuff going back to 2008 or so. This includes stuff like Photoshop threads, videos, goon musical covers, and also, COMIC STRIP EDITS.

This is the comic strip directory: https://mega.nz/folder/iF4gxSSb#RMagl3SNWRS0gdCzSW4HGQ/folder/LMBTRIKY

This is the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001401

Edit:

Holy poo poo, I forgot all about the surreal/horror Nancy thread.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ikanreed posted:

As an aside, who describes their own home as "a mansion"?

If you're pretentious and rich enough to take pride in living in a mansion, you'd call it "an estate", or give it a name and call it that, or maybe even "my dad's mansion", but "a mansion"? No one talks like that. It's alien.

I don't remember the earlier conversation strips because who the gently caress would dedicate that much brain-space to Luann, but maybe she just called it a house and then everyone else who saw it called it a mansion, so she's just going with it now? "Hey, wanna come by my place?" "Holy poo poo you live in a mansion." "Wait, I--" "GUYS SHE LIVES IN A MANSION!"

gently caress... there I go giving Luann's creators benefit of the doubt. Oops.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Quick reminder that Gilchrist also sold pin-ups and art-plates of Aunt Fritzy the whole time he was hired for (and even after he was fired from) the Nancy comic.

Just one of his many shittastic pieces, though less busty most of them:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-guy-gilchrist-1950s-pin-up-style

There's no way on earth he wasn't cranking it hard to a self-drawn archive of her that none of us have seen yet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I have wondered this myself. I still don't know the answer.

Serious answer: Break / cut up the can.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

One of my favorite arcs:

Margo walking around lost, hungry, no idea who anyone is, getting robbed and/or buying a buttered roll from a waitress(?) outdoors(?)at a restaurant(?) since the loving background art never seems to change, no matter where they are.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Because it's taken 9000 years and 3 inceptions to get here

Yeah, didn't we literally see this plot happen (minus the future outcomes) before the Mozz story ever started? I could've sworn the whole break-out arc with the truck and grenade launcher came before Mozz ever said poo poo. But then again, that was at least three lifetimes ago. He's already loving done it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I would clear out a room just to collect all the weird pinball machines we see in this comic. They're so great.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Super Fun Pak Comix, I think

Correct.

quote:

I mean, given Sonny had that dream about Ellen and seems to regard her as attractive, I don't think it's entirely platonic, it's just he's enough of an upstanding young man not to date a Selkie unless it's 100% consensual.

Also he was technically the one who took Ellen's skin, it's just Lottie hid it in his swimming kit.

Yeah, it's not platonic. I interpret it as confused, young-teenager awkwardness, and reasonably well-written in that regard.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vargo posted:

Oh man can someone dig up all the Ghost of James Caan strips? I really loved that extremely silly bit.

I have a few that I uploaded, but not all of them.

https://imgur.com/a/KIYRtev

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Great faces all around in the final panel.

Like an idiot, I sat here for a good long time trying to figure out how shifting the letters one place got "It's Pizza Day" out of that. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EBB posted:

Are we far enough from the 70s to retire the "old person drives giant Caddy" idea yet?

Nope - California and Long Island still exist.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Based on what I've read about the sex, drugs & booze at some of the stations: not surprised.

I mean, what the gently caress else are you gonna do? I'm sure making snowmen gets old after a bit. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Once we had a paper aeroplane contest and the winner was the kid who took all the rest of the plasticine and made a rock out of it and his sheet of A4 paper.

I feel like every school had a variant of this kid. In my class, he wrapped the paper around a golfball.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Is there a source for this? I went Googling and didn't find it (at least in the EN-language web).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Having never worked American retail I'm nonetheless positive that
- they will be the exact same videos
- reviewing the "new" videos will be mandatory

You missed the third bullet point, which is that the video review will be scheduled at either 5AM before the store opens, or 1AM after they close. But hey, you should be happy about the extra paid hour! :haw:

(I worked at Sears during college summers a million years ago. "Retail" screams absolutely true to me, every time I read the series.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

No, first Mozz is gonna tell the story of what happens when Phantom does heed his advice for a year, and then he actually goes and does poo poo.

"And your grandchildren... let me tell you about THEM!" *

*For the Phantom who needs a Snickers

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kennel posted:

Mozz: You lift your blue eyes and...
Walker: My eyes are brown.
Mozz: Well how could I know, dammit!

If the next step of this is "omg it's my lover-boy's eyes, I shot his dad, gotta get him to help pronto!" followed by Mozz being like "and so you ruined your son's relationship too, along with everything else, and then you shat yourself as you died," I swear I'm gonna...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

There is no way in hell real babysitters have it that good.

quote:

As someone who lives in a big city: they absolutely do.

$25 an hour has me competing for bottom-of-the-barrel where I live. I've lost two of my last three babysitters to full-time nanny gigs that provided loving housing in the deal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If anyone says anything other than 9 Chickweed Lane, there's something wrong with them.

9 Chickweed Lane wins my prize for most consistently worthless, but I have to also give a Runner-Up award to Titsy Fritzy Gilchrist Nancy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Genuine question: do schoolkids even have paper textbooks anymore? I kind of figured nowadays they'd each have a laptop and maybe a tablet.

Depends on the school system, I guess. My nephew in Wisconsin is in 5th grade, and she has enough text books that she needs two backpacks to carry them home on bad homework days.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hostile V posted:

[takes out my earbuds] What, I couldn't hear you.

*helplessly rings bicycle bell at the 463rd straight person walking in the bike lane with a headset on.*

I'm seriously thinking about trading in my bell for an airhorn.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Welp, that answers the questions about what happened in between.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Just occurred to me, a day or two late...

Who the gently caress gets a trophy for going to a training camp when they're college-aged? Participation trophies for that kind of poo poo ended at like age 10. This fucker really can't age up his characters at all, can he?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What an awesome... joke?

:confused:

That was also a thing kids did/practiced in the 80s, which might be in the artist's memory from his own childhood? Not sure how old he is. TL;DR: Kid gets lost, kid should have address/phone number / parent names all memorized. It turned into a recited thing kids did under far too often of circumstances b/c they've memorized it but don't know the right circumstances for when to use it. "Hi, I'm your new teacher, Ms. Ladyperson." "Hi Ms. Ladyperson. My name is Susie Susington *bzzt, rote memory kicks in* and I live at...."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Seeing the same color: there's subtle shifts (i don't even see the same hues in each eye, one's slightly redder) but by looking not just at color but how we respond to the relationships between them (brain scans, not just "taught that red and blue make purple") it's pretty clear that nobody's seeing "blue" for what others call "orange". We don't have a definitive answer. At least last I checked.

Doesn't stop metaphysics classes in college from spending 3+ weeks discussing this as if it's a real thing. :psyduck:

"But what if you're really seeing the same thing, but were taught from birth that green is red and red is green..."
"That's called language. Language, motherfuckers. Spectrum wavelengths are inarguable, you goddamn wastes of philosophical space."

(Why no, I am not at at all bitter about having to take a metaphysics course as an elective while majoring as a biological engineer. Not one bit.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Not very much money, but yeah, it was a thing. In the 80s, we'd very occasionally get someone giving out nickels or dimes instead of fun size candy bars. (And even then, it may have been just an emergency measure by someone who forgot to buy candy and grabbed the change jar instead.)

Those people were still giving out pennies in the early 2000s. My brother used to bring the home sometimes in his bag.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

rannum posted:

Everyone ready for about 6 months of Diana reading Mozz's chronicle

The question to me is whether (1) "Not a word" will sneakily be reinterpreted to "but if I silently hand her a book...", or if (2) "Hmm... Mozz won't talk, which means I'll go check that crypt where my dumbass husband hides all his beer and books and thinks he's so sneaky."

Followed, of course, by a six-day-long comic of Diana shooting Savarna through a prison window before Phantom can rescue her.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I think what bugs me about Batiuk's stuff, even more than the loving awful plots, is that the only face he's capable of drawing is "punchable smugness."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mycatscrimes posted:

I hope the next two years of Phantom is just Diana reading through the same story we just finished.

Rule #1 of writing: Show them telling.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now there's the Screamers who react, loudly, to every little thing that happens in horror movies or suspenseful moments.

Don't forget the people who shout instructions to the characters, especially in horror movies. "OH DON'T GO IN THERE! OH poo poo, NO! OH poo poo, SHE'S GOING IN THERE! WHY WOULD YOU GO IN THERE?"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Mobile Bathhouse was really good and funny and would basically have to be almost entirely in spoiler tags due to boobs, pubes, and sex.

Where does it fall on the Axa scale? We suffered through that for what felt like an eternity.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Please sign my petition to redraw Andrew Jackson to look exactly like that on the real $20. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Oh God that last panel is giving me flashbacks to college. So many different skill levels in the freshman dorm.

Freshman dorm? I had to teach my loving grad student housemates how to do basic cooking. I don't know what the gently caress was up in the early 2000s, but I've never met a more helpless group of nitwits than [insert anyone I dormed / rented with from 2001-2007] in my entire life.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

O ghost who walks, I spoke to you a false prophecy, more than just a false book which you have hidden in the tomb!

Let me tell you now how you will truly die on your way to Gravelines, o ghost who doesn't wash his hands after making GBS threads before dinner...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

But enough of Dustin saving a kid's life; let's get back to mocking how bad a son he is for falling asleep at work.

-The cartoonist, probably.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd worship him. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EasyEW posted:

It was pointed out in the BSS Discord that it's a little weird to end a long-running strip with a guest artist, but it was also pointed out that last week was the actual end of the strip, and we're just running down the clock at this point.

Speaking of "the real ending", here's the official annotation key for the final Sunday strip, which, if nothing else, points out that TomBat seated his actual family next to the pizza box golem, which I was completely blind to until just now.

I also had a terrible idea for what might go into this slot in the new year. We'll see how that plays out when we get there.

I think the strip should end with her reading Lisa's Story, and then the guest author/artist retelling the entire thing from the reader's perspective for the next five real-life years. The comic can be renamed "Lisa's Legacy" and we'll all just collectively kill ourselves to avoid it.