Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Matinee posted:

Like all the best casting decisions at this level, Gatwa was not someone who I would have thought of immediately, but the moment I saw the news my thoughts were "of course, how perfect, it's so obvious, who else could it have possibly been?"

He'll make RTD's writing absolutely soar.

RTD was fairly good at casting during his tenure. And so long as he can make things on budget and on time we might actually have consistent doctor who in our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I love Ncuti’s JoJo outfit there.

More like Doctor Swole, I am I right?!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Like, yes, James Corden's face is probably in the dictionary next to "insufferable" and nobody in on earth will be surprised when a bunch of hideous skeletons come tumbling out of his closet, but for now, he presumably plays an important role for actors who wish to increase their profile, so it's asking a bit much to think that a showrunner, even one with clout, is going to suddenly say "gently caress that guy!" out of the blue, lol

It doesn't help that his version the Late Late Show feels very generic from his predecessor. I mean, listen, make your money, but it's not exactly setting the bar for comedy which comedy nerds have blessed as their space.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You know what? I'm just going to come out and say it, I don't care that it makes me look like a brave and handsome risktaker with lots of money.... I'm looking forward to the next season of Doctor Who!

I think anyone who agrees with this is brave, handsome, and also has many sexual partners as they prefer.

I agree with your statement.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

When did Chibnall start? I really liked every season of new Who up until Jodie's run somewhere had the first season for me with more bad eps than good, or just that I remember the bad episodes from it far more than the good or medium ones. I've also liked most of the original Who I've seen and the audiobooks I've listened to. I quite like when someone does some space & time travel.

Jodie Whitaker's first season is decent and season two started fine but its finale literally was so bad it made the previous season awful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
forgive me since my wheelhouse is American politics but while I wouldn't describe Turn Left as particularly political the scene where Wilf sees the immigrants sent to the camps in the alternative London is pretty effective. A man who is seen a lot of poo poo and then crying no no its happening again was pretty powerful and while not explicitly leftist was prescient.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It is interesting that Rose as the first revival companion was a working class and her friends were all working class people. Chinball kinda? did the same thing for his season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is incredible and hilarious

They really nailed the TedTalk feel and echo there.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I actually think Chinball refocusing on "historicals" is interesting because with some separation from the 60s to the 80s and in fact I think Rosa a decent to good episode (I know I am in the minority in this thought). Also, Demons of Punjab is great because it takes a look at the effects of the Empire and what it did to people and lifted the history of historically oppressed people.

Too bad Chinball:

1) got stuck in his own continuity
2) Made the lighting super dark and it just did not work.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Bill was a great companion, absolutely, and Capaldi's last season really did feel like they were trying something different. Plus it has Oxygen, which is an absolutely incredible episode.

I am going to say Capaldi's last season and special is fine, maybe even good buy that trilogy of Extremis to the Lie of the Land is pretty bad and sucks the momentum out of the season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Creature posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad would it be if the regeneration is Gatwa, but he looks like Tennant in the mirror and to everyone else?

Oh boy...

Wait so is today Jodie's last story?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Sounds like its a good regeneration story and beats Matt Smith's regeneration story which absolutely sucked.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Forktoss posted:

Reading some of the official press around Tennant's return, it's interesting that RTD refers to Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor and Gatwa as the Fifteenth. Something weird is definitely going on (especially with how their clothes change), and it could very well be some Dark Dimension hijinks or some other outside interference, but it sounds like this is supposed to be a legitimate incarnation and not just a glitch or an intermediate form of some kind. Or maybe Russell's just stirring the pot! Also, I don't know if this was previously confirmed but it seems the three Tennant specials will all be airing in November 2023 and then Gatwa's first episode in the "festive period" of 2023 (I'll bet RTD is hard at work trying to get the end-of-year special back to Christmas but the schedules aren't locked in yet). So by the sound of it we might be getting four whole episodes next year?

I really wish he wouldn't do that and I also wish Moffat didn't acknowledge Ten's semi-regeneration as regeneration as well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Let the RTD vs RTD2 wars begin

I wonder if RTD the 2nd is going to be a more behind the scenes guy and less a writing guy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
RTD (with Martha excepted to a degree) wrote the companions to have a bit more depth to them. Rose was a working class girl who wanted to leave her circumstances behind, Matha was a doctor who is naturally intelligent and empathetic, Donna (once she becomes more curious) is headstrong and will not take your poo poo.

Moffat by contrast: Amy likes the doctor, Rory likes Amy, Clara likes the Doctor, Potts and Nardole are the only ones whose main chrematistics are curious and not enamored with the doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I'm hoping the Time Lords get restored at some point, even if its only an off world group who have to recolonise Gallifrey. The Master killing them all offscreen felt like it really underminded Moffat's work, and closes down a lot of story opportunities.

The Time Lords are suppose to be stand ins for the old British political class usually right? off all the times to get rid of them...

Also, RTD should ask the Beeb or D+ to have two classic adventures called them the "Classic Adventures of Doctor Who" and just allows anyone pre-nine to get a two hour movie.