Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up deciding to watch the new Hellraiser last night without going back and watching the originals. While it was visually impressive, it was not a movie for me. I didn't find it particularly scary, but I watched the whole thing with my face all scrunched up. They almost went the route of the kill your gays trope, but only halfway in the end.

Haven’t watched the new one, but I was feeling spoopy on Sunday and watched the original Hellraiser on HBOmax. Aside from some neat practical effects it’s a horrible movie, no idea why it got all the sequels. I also hated the lead actors, especially the dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Modern Leper posted:

I think the point being raised is that, absolutely, you can connect with those themes in the new Hellraiser, but a) it's not a return to form (unless we specifically mean "low budget horror movie that surprisingly punches above its weight"), and b) even recognizing those themes does not mean that you necessarily think they were handled effectively, or that the world of Hellraiser is the place to do it.

I'm not super invested in the Hellraiser lore, but my understanding is that one concept has been that it's not the hands that open the box, but the desire. It's interesting to retell it as an addiction story (that your addiction directly harms others around you, and that ending the cycle is a literal choice between self-destruction and living with the harm you've already caused), but I can understand how that would feel at odds with the whole point of the series (or the good entries) to date.

HR was a solid 90 minutes "rainy afternoon" movie, and it was nice to see that guy from ER getting work. Prey was still the better resurrection of an otherwise played out 80s franchise, imho.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, this was a 2 hour flick.

I recently watched the first hellraiser and 90% of it is closeups of sweaty unattractive people. (My screen was on don’t worry)

Maybe the sequels expanded on the Desire thing, but in the original the innocent daughter opens the box and is almost kidnapped by the cenobites, despite the fact that she just accidentally ‘solved’ it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

Weird. Seemed like people liking Henry Cavill as Geralt was a big sticking point for fans of the show. I got bored of it personally but he was a good Geralt.

It’s my fault. I stopped watching after half of S2e1.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finished The Menu, Netflix’s new film. I started the trailer and 10 seconds in knew what I was getting and enjoyed it! Also watched it in one sitting, which is more than I can say about Glass Onion.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

mystes posted:

Are you quite sure about that?

Whoopsy my bad. The menu is HBOmax. And it is good.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

STAC Goat posted:

and Feys other questionable humor

:raise:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

live with fruit posted:

Krakowski plays a Lakota character on Kimmy Schmidt.

The crime being a white woman has a Native American backstory?

Sorry Tina, it’s jail time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jolo posted:

Toni Collette is a powerhouse. It's unfortunate that horror is often not seen as worthy of accolades as drama. Mia Goth puts in an excellent performance in Pearl but it's in the wrong genre of movie to get recognized.

Also, do yourself a favor once you've seen X and Pearl and look up an interview with Mia Goth to hear her normal speaking voice. My jaw dropped like it did the first time I heard Idris Elba speaking after only knowing him as Stringer Bell from The Wire.
I’ve been meaning to watch those. Thanks for the reminder!

RCarr posted:

Hereditary is phenomenal

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just watched a recent movie called Spiderhead which is streaming on Netflix and it suuuuuucked

hemsworth as a cocky tech guy who somehow is also a chemical/neuroscience engineer doing things completely on his own lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ymgve posted:

I really disliked Patriot because the concept felt so dumb. Going deep undercover at a real company because...they wanted to bring some money to Luxembourg. I thought maybe it was to give him a valid reason to go to Iran or something, but no, they do an exchange in loving Luxembourg. The CIA has a billion fake companies and even fake airlines set up expressly for the purpose of transporting poo poo covertly around the world, just use one of those!

That part is a bit silly, but the dad explains this at one point as him doing something his boss officially said ‘no’ to, which he believed to mean an ‘off the books yes’ which means do it without any official help with operations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A MIRACLE posted:

Cunk on Earth is so loving stupid lmao

I’d never heard of cunk until the latest show dropped. Is this like white female Ali G?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol this was great. Should I start with the older stuff before hitting the new show?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bayham Badger posted:

He was good in that Community table read in 2020, stepping in for Walton Goggins

Wait what, goggins was on community!?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

wizardofloneliness posted:

The Knick. It's two seasons, Clive Owen and Andre Holland are great in it and so is basically everyone else. Steven Soderbergh directed everything and the score is loving killer. It's just extremely high quality all around. I think it was actually a Cinemax original but it's on HBO Max now.

:yeah:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Steve Yun posted:

Loving the action in Top Gun 2

The story is so bad.

Ace Combat games have better stories

JOn Hamm: "We could just shoot it from space, but then i wouldn't be here *wink*"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I saw Dreamcatcher in the theater because a matrix cgi short played before it lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A MIRACLE posted:

you can watch Tár on Peacock too. its almost three hours long so its a good amount of content / $ i'd say. its Whiplash but from the perspective of the mean teacher

I just watched whiplash for the first time today, wish I saw it in the theater. Tomorrow is Tár time! Guess I’ll throw some shekels at peacock.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So Tár was…not what I was expecting. Way too long, slow, and not really that interesting. Her abuse is almost quaint in comparison to Whiplash, but much more realistic. Overall a much weaker film I think. I loving laughed at that end reveal though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s very possible I was a bit too high to understand everything Tár was doing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's cool to do crimes on tv and that's all there is to it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Martman posted:

lol wow. I definitely didn't love Tar as much as a lot of people, but I have no clue where people would get the idea that the movie wants us to doubt her accusers

The writers colleague is the person interviewing Lydia in the beginning of the film. I think the author is too close to the poop to accurately describe it’s nuanced smells.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
According to my guy* on the inside there’s gonna be two new episodes of Barry on HBO tonight.

Kimmel, he doesn’t know we’re good buds yet

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't kept up with the discourse, since I always watch it a year later when it drops on Netflix, but after 8 episodes of Better Call Saul, I kind of feel like it's the worst season, or at least I have the most mixed feelings on it. Idk if that's an unpopular opinion or not.Just hit the climax of all the crime poo poo and noticed there is a whopping 5 more eps that appear to be Black and white, so I'm guessing we do a time jump from here on out. I'm curious to see what happens and don't really have a full formed opinion on the season yet.

But I dunno. I feel like the show was at it's best when Chuck was still alive and it really had a unique identity. Ever since, it's been devolving into a dumber version of Breaking Bad which really came to a head this season. The plot to ruin Howard was totally un-relatable. I get that it was sort of the point, but it was just unpleasant hating Jimmy and Kim for a whole season. They were acting like psychopaths and it really wasn't fun to watch at all. It didn't really feel like they "went too far" as much as I was just sitting there like "wtf are you doing?" which sucks because the lawyer stuff has generally been the best part of the show, but I felt like it was trash this season. Also the plan itself was some Looney Tunes poo poo that felt like a parody of the antics you'd expect in this show.

Then there is Lalo. Love his actor. He kills it. But i am just sort of sick of this character. Anton Chigur is one of the best villians ever, but I feel like ever since NCFOM came out ,every crime show needs some guy that will randomly kill a grandma or baby if they mildly inconvenience them. I remember feeling like it was a bit played out when Gyp Rosetti was introduced in Boardwalk Empire (and half the characters in Sons of Anarchy) over decade ago. I'm just kind of exhausted with this archetype, like yeah I get it when he's on screen there's a 50/50 chance he's gonna kill someone. Feels cheap at this point.

Other than that the constant 4D chess and Mike Mcguyver scenes feel over indulgent at this point. Also killing off Nacho 4 episodes in sucks. Although this show is so ridiculous at this point I wouldn't' be surprised if Mike secretly attached a squib to his head and put a bullet proof vest on him and we find out he's fine.

That said, even at it's worst it's crazy entertaining with a great cast and better than most stuff on TV so I can't wait to see how it ends.

Just got here and I agree with all of this. To compare to another recent show, in Perry Mason there are schemes and strategies unfolding but they are to discover some truth, in BCS it's because Howard dresses like a yuppy? I get that he deserves to have his poo poo wrecked, he said some very awful things to Jimmy. That being said, Howard was never wrong. Jimmy was/is a slimy joke of a lawyer who would rather scheme than do his job. He's a walking joke, even if he does sometimes help the underrepresented. In any case Jimmy's constant harassment is indeed completely psychotic and there's no way Kim would have gone along with that poo poo. Howards death should have been due to suicide because Jimmy went too loving far and he now has to live with that fact. Instead he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Weak.

I think Lalo jumped the shark when he was willing to merc the German widower. I was also wondering how a very wanted man gets to Germany with money and a hand gun w/ suppressor. I get he's a millionaire but that doesn't make your poo poo as good as MI6. I'm just being pedantic here but maybe just make him improvise a weapon? lol

The final act with Mike missing the completely obvious fact that Lalo was not hanging out at Jimmy's apartment would be enough to justifiably kill his rear end, but the boss just makes an off-hand comment.

There's absolutely no way Kim would have stayed with him this long. Yeah yeah her mom was shady who cares, Jimmy is insane and dresses, acts, and loves being a gas-station lawyer.

Still a good sho tho!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I take it from those who have read Silo that the payoff is worth it? Or is it less mystery box and just a good ride?

I’ll need to read some cliff notes for the show because I already forgot why ‘cleaning’ was a big deal when someone went outside.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Haven’t seen anyone mention it but Royal Crackers on HBO is hilarious. I have no idea how to describe it, maybe semi analogous to Kuala man?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A MIRACLE posted:

I slept on a bunch of hbo max shows I guess but I'm watching Fired on Mars with luke wilson and its pretty funny. reminds me of inside job if you liked that

It’s surprisingly good! It had surprisingly serious topics at times but it handles everything really well.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jerkface posted:

That dumbfuck CEO guy (Zaslav?) literally came out and said they wanted to remove the HBO branding because it implied a certain level of quality and they worried it would turn off their idiot reality TV consumers from the WB\discovery side who don't want to watch high quality prestige TV

Lmfao

No no, don’t sell the diamonds as diamonds, call them crystals. Then charge more.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Tiny Timbs posted:

How much coke do you have to do to conclude that a reputation for quality is a bad thing?

I'm sure they have data that suggests 1/3 of North America thinks HBO is for liberal coast cucks or something. But then you should work on changing that notion instead of taking all your good stuff and slathering ketchup on it. But people loving love ketchup so..

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

“Acting stuff” lmao verhoeven is awesome.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Glottis posted:

oh my god there's a new season of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix

Edward Mass posted:

The first three seasons of Angie Tribeca just showed up on Max, so there’s another thing for me to watch.

Truly a blessed weekend!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Wtf!!? Bushleague.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Does streaming support the 48fps segments?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Papercut posted:

I'm almost done with Smartless: On the Road. The first impression, going in blind, was wow these guys are so far up their own rear end. But as you watch more it becomes clear that that's part of the bit, and there's at least a couple *really* funny moments in every episode. It's become a big recommend for me, it was fun.

Glad you could get to the other side and see the goodness! Bateman in particular plays the rear end in a top hat a bit too well sometimes so if you aren’t familiar with their dynamic it’d be very easy to think ‘what an dick’ when he’s just tap dancing for the camera the only way he knows how.

I only finished ep2 I think when they had AOC on and it was fun watching them realize what a dumb mistake that was in real time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A MIRACLE posted:

Well poo poo if they don’t tell me where everyone went I’m gonna stop watching

The show actually reveals that part! It’s the most boring thing you can possibly think of but makes sense in a weird rear end way.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RCarr posted:

The Leftovers ending was perfect

Kevin’s last minute gaslighting of Nora pissed me off cause i started theorycrafting a bunch of bs that wasn’t necessary :classiclol:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

LifeLynx posted:

It does? She's lying.

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is my understanding as well, that she backed out of using the machine. Any concrete answer to the great mysteries of life is just a comforting lie.

:aaa:

I didn’t get this at all, but then I did remember it being odd all of that happened off camera.

What’s the consensus on the dude playing God? I loved his answer to the ultimate question.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So as long as the writers add one line hand waving away a mystery it’s beyond criticism?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

feedmyleg posted:

No it wasn't

What was it then? I fell off near the last season but that’s what it seemed it was in the last episode.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Bupkis is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I think it’s like the 5th semi autobiographical thing he’s done.

I thought it was ok. Not great but fine. That movie he did with Bill Burr was basically the same thing but better.

I didn’t realize it was autobiographical at first. I’m fine with it, but yeah the movie was enough. His mom in this show even references that movie!

I mostly stuck around for Joe Pesci but it’s pretty funny all around. In the beginning Pete is reading online comments about himself and someone calls him “butthole eyes” lmao

He’s very self aware which is his saving grace.