Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

- That said, having Dee become a bad person not due her upbringing from Frank but rather a head injury at a roller rink was an insanely dumb retcon, and to me does a lot of damage to her character.

this plot point really doesn't make sense or mesh at all with what we know about Dee's backstory, so I'm still of the opinion that this episode was their thinly-veiled response to the continuously smoldering internet rumor that the whole gang freezed out the previous Dee actress because Rob wanted a new girlfriend, and not because Dee being strait-laced and proper was boring as poo poo, see? SEE??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I'm imagining this scene but with goatse

Sean Bean's execution scene but he's shot in the head through a picture of goatse instead of a book of Yeats' poetry

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ryan reynolds has never been funny

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

how does Reacher stay jacked when he's a vagrant who spends his entire life on greyhounds and in motels. the dumbbells they offer in those "gyms" never go above 35 lbs

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

"oh that wasn't James Marsden."
-me on IMDB after watching Fresh, which was pretty good

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

in my mind, Ryan Reynolds built his career around Whedonisms before they were Whedonisms and in 20 years he hasn't evolved as a comedian or actor at all. i don't know how it's held up, but Pineapple Express was the hardest I had ever laughed in a theater outside of Jackass, and IMO Reynolds has never delivered a comedy like that. and like imagine Reynolds dropping his ironic detachment long enough to play a really transgressive, pathetic loser like Rogen in Observe and Report. they're just not comparable

Buried was okay, but when I think of recent "one-man show" movies, I think of Locke with Tom Hardy which is just better in every conceivable way.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 18, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I think the whole 'unrelenting faceless horde throwing themselves into danger to stop the protagonist' thing worked better and made more sense in Inception. who are all these military types working for the antagonist in Tenet? are they mercenaries? they're aware of and masters of time travel and also btw they're completely loyal to the antagonist and willing to throw their lives away for him? btw what was the antagonist's goal again? to destroy reality as the penultimate expression of being a spiteful, abusive ex or something? incomprehensible

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeah I wasn't even high and I didn't catch any of that lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if you like Severance and want to watch something with similar vibes but Aliens, check out Vivarium

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I'm still partial to Valhalla Rising

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it has some really great, creative cinematography and there were some parts that were genuinely chilling imo

otherwise it's just okay

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

It was grating and pretentious
_________/

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

couldn't make it through the first episode but if I wanted to see Lance Reddick play Wesker I would just watch The Guest again

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Lolwut?

Compound take here that I can only feel bad for you about.

she skeeves me out too, but mostly because of the whole scientology thing. she's a terrific actress regardless and Mad Men is easily her best work

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

IME people are more likely to have a powerful reaction to Barry Lyndon if they have daddy issues

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah theres a lot of father son kissing going on in part II

not sure i "get" the ending

The film is bookended by oedipal duels. Barry, whose father was killed in a duel, has by the end of the film been on both ends of that challenge. With newfound clarity and paternal compassion, he fires into the ground instead of killing his adopted son. Bullingdon, however, like Barry, needed to have his satisfaction.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the quote at the end is:

quote:

It was in the Reign of George III
That the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled
Good or Bad, Handsome or Ugly, Rich or Poor
They are all equal now

which seems to me to just be a guiding principle of Kubrick's work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elegy_Written_in_a_Country_Churchyard posted:

The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,
And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.
The paths of glory lead but to the grave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Should have iced that weird looking mf
_______________/

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's fine, it's like the opposite of a heist movie. There are a few good performances and it's well constructed, just kind of unremarkable. There's Amy Adams sideboob, but on the downside there's also Louis CK. It's like a solid B-.

on the other hand, the fact that he's in it gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbeZLCbJ10

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I was impressed how finely it walked the line of having the killers be really into COVID precautions and masking but not have it come off like some CHUD ragebait about psycho maskers or whatever. It also trusts the audience enough to not have to have the main character spell out "your son chose to go to that party too, your son chose to make out with a random person, it could have just as easily been him infecting someone else."

I was really expecting the protag to cough in the mother's face in order to get the upper hand while they were struggling in the barn at the end. instead she just kind of gets the upper hand anyway and then they set her on fire lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the current year of That 70s show is visible on the license plate at the end of the opening credits. the entire show takes place from '76-'80 iirc

efb

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've been putting off Copenhagen Cowboy cuz I heard the Netflix translations were godawful and didn't reflect what they were really saying at all

did that get fixed or should I just suck it up and settle for a visual feast instead

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Is Don’t Worry Darling that bad or did everyone just dogpile it

after the director came out and said that men don't cum in this movie, I immediately lost all interest

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

MAJOR anachronism in The last of Us this week, New Jersey goons will spot it immediately

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

I think Lalo jumped the shark when he was willing to merc the German widower. I was also wondering how a very wanted man gets to Germany with money and a hand gun w/ suppressor. I get he's a millionaire but that doesn't make your poo poo as good as MI6. I'm just being pedantic here but maybe just make him improvise a weapon? lol

Breaking Bad and John Wick share a universe and Lalo just took a pit stop at the Berlin Continental where he is always welcome owing to his status as a high-ranking member of the Mexican Syndicate

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Shame they didn't go with the original puppet effects instead of CGI

the SFX team was pretty salty about all their hard work getting cut in the editing room so they went on to make their own movie using a bunch of their creature designs. the movie is awful from what I remember but it's worth seeing alone for some pretty great practical Thing-like monster effects

Harbinger Down

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

tbf he did fill his home with hidden microphones, peepholes and two-way mirrors, but it was for a different reason than spycraft

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

holy poo poo

quote:

Noel Marshall was bitten through the hand when he interacted with male lions during a fight scene; doctors initially feared that he might lose his arm... Marshall had already been bitten around eleven times.[65] He was hospitalized when his face and chest were injured[66] and was diagnosed with blood poisoning. Marshall was also diagnosed with gangrene after being attacked many times.[47] It took Marshall several years to fully recover from his injuries.

quote:

During a promo shoot in 1973, Tippi Hedren was bitten in the head by a lion, Cherries, whose teeth scraped against her skull... She was admitted to Antelope Valley Hospital after Tembo, the five-ton elephant, picked her up with his trunk by the ankle, fracturing it before bucking her off his back; She was left with phlebitis and gangrene, in addition to a fractured hand and abrasions on her leg

Cherries was apparently a bad egg

quote:

Most members of the crew were injured, including de Bont, who was scalped by Cherries while he was filming under a tarpaulin;[73][51][74] he received 220 sutures, but resumed his duties after recovering.

quote:

Melanie Griffith received 50 sutures after being attacked by a lioness. It was feared that she would lose an eye, but she eventually recovered without being disfigured, although she did require some facial reconstruction.[44][22] A lion jumped on John Marshall and bit the back of his head, inflicting a wound that required 56 sutures.[citation needed] Jerry Marshall was bitten in the thigh by a lion while he was in a cage on set, and he was in hospital alongside Hedren for a month.[72][52]

quote:

Togar, one of the lead lions, bit assistant director Doron Kauper in the throat and jaw and tried to pull off one of his ears after Kauper unintentionally cued an attack; Kauper also received injuries to his scalp, chest and thigh, and he was admitted to Palmdale General Hospital where he had to undergo four and a half hours of surgery.

quote:

Pipes and berms from Aliso Canyon became flooded with water and burst on February 9, 1978, after a night of heavy rain. Both were pointed towards the Marshall property to redirect water from the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks. The property was destroyed by a 10-foot (3.0 m) flood, from which four sound-crew members had to be rescued. Marshall, who had left the hospital despite being scheduled to undergo knee surgery, helped to rescue many of the animals.[76] Fifteen lions and tigers escaped from the set after fences and cages collapsed; the sheriff and local law enforcement killed three lions

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

JGL felt like he had to go all out because from Willis' end his attempt to resemble JGL amounted to 'wear terrible wig in one shot'

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

all this Looper talk is making me think of 17 again, which was another baffling stunt casting decision from around that time.

Zac Efron going on the promotional circuit to talk about how he studied Matthew Perry's mannerisms for months so he more fully disappear into his role as Teen Chandler Bing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a youtube tumbnail caught my eye the other day with the title "Conor McGregor in ROADHOUSE acting like a PS2 character for 2 min straight" and I thought.. yeah that sums it up