Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh that’s good. Which other wrestlers besides Cena & Foley have reputations for being good to fans when they don’t have to be?

I think most of them, these days. The times you hear about a current wrestler blowing off a fan usually turn out to have the fan be totally in the wrong, like ambushing a wrestler at an airport with 500 things to sign or won't leave them alone during dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I will always remember the Ultimate Warrior disappearing from TV because of what I heard about it on the playground. A kid who was one grade ahead of me said that he was off TV because the Macho Man "sexually assaulted" him backstage. Now I was in first grade so I didn't know what that entailed, but the older kid helpfully explained to me that "it's where you attack someone and you have a knife taped to your ding dong."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The other thing about that workout tape that's hilarious is that it says that it's 45 minutes on the box, and to get the tape to that run time they have a segment after the workout. In it, we watch the same workout again but at "Warrior speed"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The "wrestler lifestyle" of the old days definitely brought out the worst in basically everyone who so much as brushed up against it. Current wrestling isn't perfect but the backstage culture is much healthier now than it ever was back then.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's also drat near the only person from Mania 3 who's still alive

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Star Trek was like 20 years before WM3. This is like if everyone in the '87 NBA finals was dead except Magic Johnson.

e: Also Koenig is alive, drat you for making me think he was dead

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

2 weeks

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol big boss man stealing big show's dad's corpse

Show's feud with Boss Man was wall-to-wall must-see TV. This poo poo's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_le2RRk634

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious, how many 'big wrestlers' have won the Royal Rumble? The only one I can think of is Yokuzuna.

Are they allowed to be very tall or is fatness also a must

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Capital Letdown posted:

Oh definitely I understand that. Im just wondering if WWE made a shift away from them, and if so how did they do it? Was there a painful period where security guards had to confiscate way more signs than normal til people got the message?

(I understand these questions may not have answers, just a thought I was wondering about)

I think people just quit bringing signs. Not only was WWE bleeding fans in the mid-2000s, but younger people were getting less interested in TV in general.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cartoon Man posted:

That was around when I quit watching to be honest but that’s mostly cause I got older and was more into online computer games.

I quit watching because I saw HHH, wearing nothing but a Kane mask, get into a coffin and hump a mannequin. I turned off the TV, said "I guess I don't like wrestling anymore" and then didn't watch WWE again until I heard about Daniel Bryan and the Shield.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Literally A Person posted:

Really want someone to have Intergalactic Alien wrestling for the destruction of Earth gimmick

Michinoku Pro.

Great Space War.

You'll be glad you looked into it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Even punk himself admitted that:

1. He threw the first punch in that fight

And

2. He doesn't know that they actually did the thing that he's mad about in the first place

Either way it was attacking Jack Perry that ultimately got him fired, and at this point good riddance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think AEW is cool as hell and CM Punk is just a stupid baby. And as we all learn from that one episode of The Simpsons, stupid babies need the most attention. Maybe if people are just paid attention to him instead of the many more compelling talents, things would have worked out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I thought CM Punk was still a huge draw which is why they kept him around. Outside of the first PPV they did, I never watched AEW much, but I did tune in for his debut. Then I actually bought that first Punk PPV but AEW couldn't hold my interest. I remember he seemed out of shape and sloppy.

Nevertheless, CM Punk did cause me to buy an AEW PPV and I was in the thread when people were posting about and at the time they were excited about it and it seemed cool. RIP CM Punk. He probably made up the whole story about getting Ryback to admit he was stupid too. I don't know why my thoughts go to "Ryback is vindicated" because he's a huge dipshit selling dick pills last I checked, but this is where CM Punk has taken me.

He was at first, but MJF now moves ratings much more than he does. Probably because, like you said, they've kind of realized he's out of shape and sloppy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unlucky7 posted:

Everything else aside, Punk could probably easily kick my rear end, and apparently he was getting in TKs face

So yeah, I would understand being afraid

Also, if the reason that you were afraid for your life was that he pushed over a bunch of monitors that almost fell on you, that is a reasonable thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean I'm sure he was scared and he was probably saying it like as a legal justification, but if he really felt Punk was going to actually kill him with his bare hands and jiu jitsu skills, then, well...

No, it was that he knocked over a bunch of heavy equipment onto people.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette thinks its a good thing when the crowd literally wants to murder you because it means they are invested wrestling really did a number on that boy lol

They don't want to murder Cornette because they are invested in wrestling, they want to murder Cornette because he won't stop calling them about coming over to gently caress Cornette's wife

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TK should have just done what a strong brave man would do and pull out his gun and shoot CM punk, that's always solved every problem

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

small note:

Austin was definitely Steve Williams when he played college football (wikipedia suggests it was his stepfather's name), and I remember him telling a story on his podcast about him getting pissy with someone when he first broke in and was told that he couldn't use his real name because gimmick infringement

Yeah, Dr. Death Steve Williams was the top draw in WCCW when he first started in the business. The promoter told him to come up with a new name and he couldn't think of one. Eventually the promoter said "Fine, you're Steve Austin now."

Austin responds, "What, like the Six Million Dollar Man?"

The promoter tells him "Hell yeah like the Six Million Dollar Man."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Or he could buy it and keep it open but ban CM Punk from it forever

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

She's the Rock's cousin, hth

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Germansimp posted:

All this talk about Hogan being such a safe worker, would never hurt anyone, yadda yadda, ignoring that was completely reckless and had no regards for the health of his opponents. If you need evidence just check out this brutal chair shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvp5bBVZ8Y

what

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He also invented the idea of coming out to music. He told Vince to play "eye of the tiger" while he was coming out. Vince didn't want to, but the hulkster said that he should do it just this once and if it didn't work then Vince could fire him. After hulk got to the back, Vince looked him in the eye and admitted he was wrong. And because the hulkster is such a great guy, he said that now they need to give music to all the other wrestlers so they can be just as big of a star as him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AlmightyBob posted:

didn't mox say the thing that made up his mind about leaving the wwe was Vince trying to make him do promos making fun of roman's cancer?

That was a big part of it, yeah.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

People were getting tired of Hogan too, and Beefcake has never been anything but Hogan's little sidekick.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gavok posted:

The place was completely on his side, which got under Hangman’s skin.

I want to add to this, because I was there for both Wrestledream and the Collision beforehand: Tony Khan came out before Collision and said "hey everybody it's Swerve's birthday today, let's bring him out here." Everyone cheered, of course, so he came out and just kinda stood there not reacting. Then he said "You gonna boo Hangman out of the building tomorrow too, right?" and left.

So we had to.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What was I supposed to do, say "no Swerve, despite the fact it is your birthday and this is the only thing you want, I will not give it to you."? That's not okay.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Oh boy Jim Cornette gonna be spinning in his coffin

Corny is already blowing up Swerve's phone to come gently caress his wife

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

His AEW run was enough to make me not interested in what punk was doing anymore. He's become everything he was complaining about 10 years ago, and also physically broken down.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Llyr posted:

Is this real? They actually put this on TV?
That's insane

The prevailing theory for why TNA kept having money pumped into it is that Dixie's father viewed it as a toy to keep his idiot daughter occupied and away from his fossil fuel business.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm assuming Punk's mouthpiece heard about Cohen using cases made up by ChatGPT as precedent and said "welp, can't be the worst lawyer around, might as well do a slander."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was his original gimmick, and then he transitioned to "Hunter Hearst-Helmsley", "a Connecticut blueblood". Which was basically the same thing but with a bad English accent. He acted like an 18th century nobleman.

As we can see once again, Vince McMahon only comes up with the best gimmicks.

I think we all knew that he was a creative powerhouse when he came up with a club where people put their mouth on his butt

Yes I know there are better references, but this one says that Test and Scott Steiner once cornered Stacy Keibler and took turns farting on her.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KungFu Grip posted:

another fun fact is that anytime the Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery aired for TV they legally could not use the name Wrestlemania in movie title or in the movie so the event Scooby Doo and the gang are going to is SUPERSTARmania

Wait, what? Did they seriously not secure the rights to use the name for their movie?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't be too hard on yourself, Vince McMahon was a terrible GM for two decades and he's rich as gently caress.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vince offered the victim to him as essentially a signing bonus.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The young guys tend to be pretty good dudes so at least the culture backstage seems to have changed for the better.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Mick Foley seems like the only mensch from that entire generation.

DDP?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cornwind Evil posted:

There's a reason in my first effortpost I theorized that he got into the business to essentially core it out and use what he stole to go mainstream, but failed. It's also why I was so surprised when Behind The Bastards claimed that Vince actually seemed to love wrestling, embracing all its showmanship as a teenager and making up his own persona and so on. Then again, wouldn't be the first time a psychopath is a mass of contradictions.

"Ape-Man McMahon" is a great name, not gonna lie.

But I'd say that that was Vince 50 years ago, and he had plenty of time for his relationship with wrestling to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MrQwerty posted:

No I want to see the timeline where Steve Austin was THE RINGMASTER

He was. That was a thing they actually did for real.