Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nazis Against Territories for Others (NATO) is at it again:

https://twitter.com/RenieriArts/status/1492249342580830211?t=h8jPu2tPEjBhxxToXyg5Sg&s=19

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

But jesus gently caress Cpt_Obvious, really? Impying NATO is a Nazi aligned org? You could've discussed this hosed up individual without implying all of NATO = Nazis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Heusinger

quote:

Adolf Bruno Heinrich Ernst Heusinger (4 August 1897 – 30 November 1982) was a German military officer, whose career spanned the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany and West Germany. Heusinger joined the German Army as a volunteer in 1915 and later became a professional soldier. He served as the Operations Chief within general staff of the High Command of the German Army in the Nazi German Armed Forces from 1938 to 1944, before being appointed acting chief of the general staff for two weeks in 1944 after his predecessor (Kurt Zeitzler) resigned his post due to a nervous breakdown. He was then appointed head of the military cartography office when the war ended. He later became a general for West Germany and served as head of the West German military from 1957 to 1961 as well as Chairman of the NATO Military Committee from 1961 to 1964.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Anyone have a good up to the minute source on troop movements for the invasion today?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a quick thing, but I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted to ask folks here if there is any truth to it?

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1493939541710974982?s=20&t=NghImyNSf51Sl3CJYSxY9A

There's been a bunch of reports of wealthy businessmen leaving the Ukraine for fear of invasion which makes sense because nobody wants to do business in a state about to rolled by tanks. All these expectations of war can only have a negative effect on the economy. Helpfully, the US is proposing that the Ukrainian government take out some loans to fix it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ethnic cleansing.

That is what the Azov battalion is for, afterall: Exterminating the Russians and their Jewish overlords.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's also potentially (but not necessarily) indicative of media consumption. Moscow-oriented media sticks with the pejorative usage, so folks who are quick to downplay Russia's belligerence while centering complaints about the West and Ukraine will often go with the language they hear most.

Yes yes, you've nailed it on the head. There's a secret media cabal spreading lies at the behest of the Russians, and they can be spotted by their use of the word "the".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but the market is having a bad time with all beating war drums

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1493340579467509765

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Uh, the "color revolutions" where actually just the fall of the Soviet Government. And for the most part we were actually opposed to adding a lot of Eastern Bloc countries to NATO. They went far, far out of their way to get NATO membership.

I think he's referring to the coup in 2014, not the collapse of the USSR.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Which was still a military invasion with marked Russian units. Which the 'vote to annex' didn't happen until afterwards in Crimea. And a vote held by a country notable for having what basically amounts to a president for life who jails most of his opposition. And violently murders the others. In other countries..

Are we still talking about Ukraine? I have no knowledge of Russians invading Ukraine att. In fact, the democratically elected government that was ousted was trying to establish closer ties with Russia, why would they try to get rid of them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wow, what kind of damage can these do?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Prettz posted:

You know the MLRS of Desert Storm fame? It's that, but smaller and holds fewer of the rockets.

I assume this is to be more mobile?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Its much faster and lighter, wheeled instead of tracked. Its also far more accurate (when used correctly) then the typical artillery cannon in Ukraine so instead of blanketing an area with hundreds of shells to hopefully hit something you want to the rockets hit where you want them to +/- some margin of error.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kind of. M142 is mounted on a truck that goes ~80 km/h on highway, and M270 is mounted on a Bradley frame (tracks), but can still go ~60 km/h. I doubt either of those are being driven at max speed on rural Ukrainian roads, unless the Russian army alone isn’t meeting the desired health hazard levels. :v:
That's a great rundown.
Sounds fast and accurate enough to hit a target and maybe skiddaddle before they get located.
:thanks:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Where would they take off from? Does Ukraine have any functional air fields? Have they cloned the ghost?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Plenty of functional airfields, they aren't paved with unobtainium.

...yeah but airplanes require an incredible amount of maintenance above and beyond just fuel, armaments, and housing. They are an incredibly delicate machines which doesn't really work for the guerilla warfare that Ukraine appears to be fighting.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Every piece of footage I've seen is basically one dude shooting a rocket at a tank and then bailing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How do you expect light infantry to fight mechanized forces?

......guerilla warfare?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

....wait the Ukrainians are going toe to toe with Russian artillery!?

Holy poo poo. Never mind.

This war needs to end.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MassiveSky posted:

So Germany will deliberately run itself into an energy crisis of unprecedented scale instead of reactivating their nuclear plants for, say, five more years?

Germany looks like it's sitting right on the separation between the two developing trade blocs. Will be interesting if they cut some special deal with BRICS or just go through a cold German winter without heat.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have a sense of how the German public feels about all this? Probably a whole lot of justified anger and fear, but I hope people aren't thinking that Ukraine is not worth it.

Germany can get very cold.

I think if there is support for maintaining the sanctions, it will be sorely tested if this war lasts till winter.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's being reported that the us will announce a $3 billion dollar aid package tomorrow

the thing that caught my eye is that this is the first american military aid package which will be relying on future production instead of drawing down current stockpiles. it's not surprising at this point, but it appears the united states is preparing for a longer war

I think this means that the United States has run out of excess munitions to send and must produce more to continue equipping Ukraine.

I wonder how much of the production line relies on foreign-made microchips.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

You wonder what “leftists” think about labor laws in a state capitalist Stalinist poo poo show of a state, which no longer exists, during the Second World War?

Well as the resident Marxist in the thread I would be more than happy to dissertate on the authority principle, the cult of personality, and how red fascism works by clinging to one party rule by putting on Marxist costumes and then claiming the “Party” is the sole legitimate authority in translating Marxist theory for the masses, then drawing a parallel to how it works in a similar way to most organized religions, but…

I don’t think you really want to know, because you think this is some sort of 80+ year ‘gotcha’ you can play on “leftists,” which you’ve pushed all into one category; and not only is it beyond the purview of this thread, I highly doubt everyone else wants to read a post that is 20 pages of typed text about the topic.

poo poo gets weird when you're fighting an existential war. The years on those proclamations, 1929 and 1941, as well as the title of the book, "Soviet Labor Law during the second world war" should remind the reader that drastic times meant drastic measures. The other option was to simply roll over and die for Nazis.

That doesn't mean that certain laws didn't overstep, but building a war machine from scratch capable of fighting the most powerful military on earth was not an easy feat when the czar had left the country with basically medieval technology. Before Stalin's reforms, czarist Russia lost a defensive war against the Japanese whom they outnumbered 8:1 due to basically nonexistent infrastructure and laughable productive capacity*. By the end of WW2, Russia was pumped out more than 100k of some of the most advanced tanks of the era. And they needed those tanks or else the 24 million Russian death toll would have been much higher.

People forget that the USSR killed more Nazis than the rest of the world combined. That would have been impossible with the productive capacity they inherited from the czars.

*Edit: Russia was also forced to surrender to the Germans during WW1 because of their terrible military capacity.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think it's very strange to assume that espionage is impossible in a time of war. Sabotage and intrigue are very normal parts of armed conflict, and assuming that a Russian official's death can't possibly be the result of a faction they are currently fighting feels conspiratorial. IMO there still isn't even an adequate explanation for why they would launch a false flag. Usually false flags come before a declaration of war as a justification for it, not afterwards and especially not targeting the family member of an official. Like, why would a ranking official be willing to sacrifice their own daughter when they could just blow up an empty barracks? poo poo, why not just blame all those exploded ammo dumps on the Ukrainians?