Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Valtonen posted:

OTOH these small mobik probes are also wasteful in a scale that is really hard to overstate- since they are continuous and only coordinated in the lightest sense of the word the mobiks could literally be wearing star trek red shirts for all intents and purposes bc their role is literally ”seek and be destroyed.”

So even if Its a dribble straight to grinder rather than a firehose Its still desperate waste of manpower.

Reconnaissance by sacrifice. Ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Not a dumb question. Operational technology - basically the hardware and software that manipulates industrial equipment and processes.

Thank you. Some of my peers on the LSA squad got pulled out of Informatics aka IT and into IT/OT after Informatics did their re-org. We all support Manufacturing and the other GxP environments, especially them, so that makes sense. I do a lot more on the End User Experience/non-validated side than they do, so I'm still in Informatics.

LSA = Lead Site Administrator. We handle GPOs and patching in place of Global IT so we can coordinate those with the business, so machines don't get rebooted in the middle of a production run. We also help write SOPs and validate new instruments. Our biweekly squad call is always the best meeting of the week.

This is grossly off-topic, except that if someone tries to Stuxnet us, they'd be going past security policies I helped implement.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I like what I get when I put the battalion (50) of Bradleys together with a squadron (14) of Challenger 2s.

That gives you four M2 companies that can do bounding advances on about a 2km front, in two lines of two companies each. Then you have a company each of Bradleys and Challenger 2s in reserve to rush forward when the breakthrough is made. The Bradleys in the four line companies mark targets for precision fires, that leaves the Challengers free to exploit their mobility instead of their firepower. That'll put a squadron of MBTs and a company of mechanized infantry loose in the Russian rear areas. You'll lose some vehicles and squads to defensive fire (20-ish at a guess), but that puts a lot of armor in the exploitation phase.

If you do a good preparatory bombardment and use smoke to protect the flanks of this force, I think this is a good recipe for tearing a hole in Russian defensive positions. This scheme also has the advantage of concentrating the logistical burden of Western AFVs in one spot, that's an important consideration.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Supposedly he moved away and someone else bought it a few years ago. Whoever owns it, Google Street View pix from 2019 show that it appears externally unchanged from its completed state.

It's in MSFS 2020

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1295870236080648192

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

I just pointed out how, in the bloodless, amoral math of global power brokering, America is getting a bargain drat near unseen in world history.

And as a bonus, America is on the side of opposing naked Imperialistic territory grabs again. We kind of fell off of that after 1991.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hey, we kicked Serbia's pathetic imperialist rear end right good. So maybe post 1999?

Good catch, 1999 and that's still a long time to be the bad guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I think we everyone should be united in making sure post war Ukrainian's have a leg up not a leg off

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

A very good novella worth your time. A scenario set during the cold war wherein the soviets attempt to control shoggoths to use in Afghanistan which quickly snowballs into much worse things.

That's a really, really creepy story. Stross completely nails the tone. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when the penny dropped for what I was looking at. It's the Iran Contra team, but with shoggoths and worse, much worse, things. Having those assholes anywhere near national defense was bad enough, here they're literally working with things mankind was not meant to know and should never gently caress with. As a bonus, the story includes Project Pluto nuclear ramjets intended to bomb the hell out of a greater entity. That URL is one of the pro-est of clicks and I'd have linked it if I hadn't been efb.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Quackles posted:

I have to beg to differ, because he wrote Halting State which was amazing - it's a cybercrime thriller that starts with a robbery in a MMO, and... snowballs.

The sequel, Rule 34, is also very good. He had to throw away a couple of manuscripts because people went and actually did the crime he had made up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Flikken posted:

Where has the multi axis large Russian offensive been? I thought they wanted to kick one off before the spring mud comes into play?

This is it. They're attacking on the Eastern and Southern lines in Donetsk. It's not going well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...they lost an elite brigade the first time. The 2nd and 3rd time they were wiped out they were just conscripts with a fancy title.

At Vuhledar alone they had two BTGs wrecked. The video counts 11 tanks destroyed, so that's elements of two tank companies, so there were two BTGs involved, both of which are now really short of AFVs and mine clearing vehicles. They'll still have their fire support, but they need to rebuild before they're maneuver formations again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm thinking it's 97% of available BTGs.They have over 100 of them available, so 1 or 2 each in the Far East and facing Georgia fits with the numbers and ongoing commitments of Russian tactical units. That matches the number given for Ukraine deployments and covers their other at-risk regions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Luceid posted:

Be warned you can very clearly see this guy killing folks in full view, so don't watch if that will have an adverse impact on you. I put the link under spoiler so it won't embed or autoplay or whatever mp4s do these days.

https://litter.catbox.moe/0sx1hz.mp4

loving crazy.

Jesus, that AFV is practically on top of them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

:stare: holy gently caress

Yeah, that guy gets got, and so does a buddy who comes up either trying to help or is just the next guy in that stack.

I'm wondering how far away the next Ukrainian position is in that trench system, because if Ukranian Rambo here has to engage a guy assaulting another section of trench, then they're really thinly holding that trench. Same with the AFV that's about 30-40m away, are they down to RPGs in that trench line? Isn't there someone with a shot at the side armor?

I'd be interested in a translation of the radio call, that would tell us a lot about the tactical situation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

E- I hope he fragged the loving thing, but without confirmation, I am going to assume the worst and he hit external ammo and gear.

Something is burning, but I don't think it's the AFV. The 30mm fire is basically constant, so unless there are two of them it's still at least shooting. I do think the dismounts got out though, as you do when your ride starts getting smacked by RPGs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

psydude posted:

"Conduct a reconnaissance" has always been a part of the Troop Leading Procedures. Whether you're using a drone, maps, aircraft, or the naked eye is really up to whatever resources you've got available at the time.

By this point in the Ukraine SMO, I'd expect any self-respecting US Army infantry platoon has at least passed the hat to order a quadcopter from Amazon. For a couple of hundred bucks you can get good quality visible-light video with a range of several km, that's huge. Based on five-star reviews, thermal imaging is $3k or so, maybe less. The ability to have something with thermal imaging hovering 100m over your command squad is a sea change in infantry tactics. Military grade is more capable and more expensive, but COTS is on the front lines right now. This kind of as hoc employment of a new system is going to feed the development of doctrine and therefor procurement for years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Yeah, this is the video I was talking about. I didn't bother looking up where it was taken, but I saw multiple tanks out of gas in the same video and went wait, what? how? :psyduck:

They probably had full tanks but spent a lot of time idling. That'll run you dry, and it'll happen a lot if your tactical leadership is poorly trained and keeps getting lost or waiting for a blocking force to be dealt with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

The FSB spent a ton of cash to bribe people and thought that their efforts would result in a lot of friendly support, turns out that most of them just took the cash and told them what they wanted to hear. And then the FSB told the guy up top what he wanted to hear.

A lot of FSBs officers were arrested when it turned out they just kept the bribe money and made up the reports about having friendly militias waiting for the VDV to drop in.

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-701772

https://tvpworld.com/59577307/putin-purges-150-fsb-officers

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/27/the-double-sting

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Borscht posted:

There's a YouTube pundit that recently made a good video on this.
https://youtu.be/carENYJE7bg a summary of the air war so far
https://youtu.be/Lot6i8bqvpw an interview with
Some guy from a think tank who seems to have it together.

Both reflect takes that I haven't really seen around all that much but it seems to track for me.

tl;dr Both have a good track record.

Chris at Military Aviation History is a doctoral student in history with a consistent string of good and reasonable takes. His channel is a pro-subscribe if military aviation is your thing. He's strong on analysis and his in the cockpit videos are treats.

The guy from the think tank is from the Royal United Services Institute in England. It's the oldest defense think tank in existence being founded in 1831 by the 1st Duke of Wellington (yes, the Waterloo guy and ancestor of Churchill). They're a non-profit and presumably independent; given their age and prestige, the people who would normally tell a think tank what to say would instead be taking their marching orders from RUSI. I kid, but only so much.

You will also see a RUSI analyst as a frequent guest on Ward Carroll's channel. On a recent interview he talked about he'd gone to Sweden to talk to Saab about Gripens, had a ride in the back seat of a trainer, and also went into the field with a maintenance team at a dispersed location. This shows a strong interest in Gripens, which are ideal for the conditions Ukraine's air force is operating in, but there just aren't a lot of actual airframes. Maybe if Sweden joins NATO we can give them F-35s to replace Gripens sent to Ukraine.

Carroll is a former F-14 RIO with a great YT channel that regularly has serious guests like former admirals talking about what they had to do to qualify as skipper of a nuclear carrier (spoiler: a lot). He showed off some chud opinions earlier in his YT career, but he shut up about them a long time ago, so he gets a pass. Pro-follow as well, he knows he isn't an expert on a lot of stuff so gets experts on and asks them questions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

poo poo, I'd be interested to hear what the sign-off is for a carrier captain. That's fascinating as all hell.

Short version. Pass nuke school (one of the hardest training courses on the planet), do a tour as chief engineer of a nuclear-powered surface ship, wait for one of now 11 seats to open up.

Long version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLdtg2e28U

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

Brewster Buffalo says hi.

If it says it in Finnish, it might actually survive to land again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Power Khan posted:

Autocannon and MG work on the trench and the guy still shoots back

https://twitter.com/The3Swamp/status/1630799321443467266

Holy poo poo that's brutal. He called fire on his own position because an artillery strike wouldn't make things materially worse and might help.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

The losses Russia took in capturing Vuhledar are being tallied and they lost more than 130 armored vehicles and an entire brigade of Marines.

These losses are completely unsustainable. Just an absolutely enormous amount of armor lost to capture a strategically insignificant town and they haven't even taken Bakhmut. And if/when they do take Bakhmut, the Ukrainians have dug another series of defensive structures to the west and Russia will have to do it all over again.

If those were BTGs, that's three of them wrecked and needing to be rebuilt, probably 4-600 casualties from just those units. They're not getting any of the abandoned vehicles back any time soon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

This thread has liked a UK air warfare YouTube channel a couple times and seems to think positively of it. They had a video a while back talking about how even though AUF and Russia are operating the same airframes the Russians have more modern radars and EW capabilities, giving a noticeable advantage an air to air engagements. I think they specifically called out Russian radar as able to simultaneously scan and target, scan and target at a greater angle off flight path, and also able to target lock Ukranian aircraft using low enough power it might not trigger Ukrainian missile lock warning sensors.

A big factor in air-to-air warfare is in the missiles, and Russia has newer and more capable missiles. Russian air defenses have forced Ukrainian jets low, while Russian jets have been pushed up and away to stay out of range of Ukrainian defenses. This leaves AFU firing up at RU planes firing down, giving Russian jets a kinetic advantage. On top of that the Russians have active homing missiles that turn on a radar at the end of their run, freeing the launching aircraft to turn away to evade incoming fire. The Ukrainians have to point their noses at Russian jets for the entire flight time of the missile, that is much riskier.

Because of these two factors, if two jets shoot a missile at each other, the Russian jet can freely turn away to evade while the Ukrainian missile will miss if the launching plane has to evade.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

This thread has reached its tipping point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

lightpole posted:

Did you not read anything? Targeting civilian infrastructure is next to useless. The most useful thing to do with those missiles is target high value military targets and wipe them off them map like Ukraine is doing.

Even more to the point, a block of demolished civilian buildings is actually a really good defensive position, better than the intact buildings in fact. Everything you do is camouflaged by being part of a big pile of rubble, but you can set up observation posts, machine gun nests, and firing positions with literally tons of concrete protecting them for almost free. If you have a little time and some resources those posts can have secure, covered communications approaches, hardwired comms, and reinforced spaces to keep a strong infantry force safe under hellacious fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

A proportional response. Just one SDB that destroy's the fighter that forced it down (while it's parked and no one around) from out of nowhere.

Nah, JDAM filled with concrete. Much less chance of collateral damage.

This incident is exactly why we're using UAVs for recon work, nobody is in harm's way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Maybe!

Military Aviation History did an informative update on this situation. It's a good channel for both current events, history, and inside the cockpit videos. The proprietor is a German PH.D student specializing in.... military aviation history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxV7sFwPWo0

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ward Carroll and Ed Nash on the drone thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmpj3cj7J34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25diXLePtKc

So, far all three I've posted are basically saying "this poo poo happens all the time, we're gonna yell at their ambassador and move on".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

There seems to have been a not insignificant amount of drone footage within the past week or two of Ukrainian tanks rolling up to Russian trenches and blasting them at almost point blank range. I know nothing about tanks, but wouldn't that be pretty risky if the opposition had even basic bitch RPG-7s?

Yeah it would be, and no they don't.

The interesting question about a counteroffensive near Bakhmut is, the Russians have to have a lot of support infrastructure right behind the lines, so do you try for a penetration that will let you gank those elements, or do you go in elsewhere that isn't as well supported? The Ukrainian high command can read a map better than I can, but I have to say there are some really interesting areas on the Russian lines if you look with an eye to putting a couple of mechanized brigades through them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

No-one's forcing you to stay here!"

I've got bad news (for the mobiks) about this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Power Khan posted:

I think it's the autocannon of the IFV firing that stayed back, firing through the treeline.

I'm going with this. There are three small explosions in the trees right about where 30mm fire from the IFV would be coming through, then the tank fires its main gun. A 30mm round exploding in a substantial branch is going to send out some large splinters at high speed.

Partly by way of example, but mainly because I think this video is cool as hell,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfsuIaTU92Y

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pikehead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZDiLp0imk

There's a just released interview with trench guy that goes over what happened, and it has really good english subtitles. It's much clearer what's going on.

That's a pro-click, easily worth twenty minutes of your time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There was a brief clip of a more useful angle on the trench, so there were at least two drones up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I have questions about there being a "pile" of live grenades, but they're probably pretty well answered by it being 1915 or so.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Mine is it's one week after the semester is over and I remember I had a class I signed up for and never went.

I never got that on. I do sometimes get the dreams where you are totally invested in another life for an extended period of time, wake up in the middle of the night, pee, and think "what was I just doing? Oh right, the last five years didn't actually happen."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Kofman, who I love to reference in this thread, doesn't think they can get by without doing another wave because they've been so wasteful with their soldiers' lives and are relying on bulk infantry to keep up progress at this point.

From what I've seen, a reasonable assumption of average casualty rates for Russia is 1500 a day, killed, wounded, and captured. 300,000 mobiks runs out right about now. They'll get some of the wounded back, but they're right back to being desperately short on people, and also with lower stocks of munitions.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Washington Post is certainly not publishing anything not cleared with the FBI. And what they are publishing, they're letting the FBI vet before publication.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

Ask the British when they were fighting Zulu tribesmen armed with clubs, spears and hide shields, and they had the gatling gun.

Maxim Gun :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tiny posted:

I, a fairly standard lurker that only reads this subforum on SA, have no idea what the preceding jokes are about. Someone want to fill me in, or is it just a bunch of puns I don't get?

I'll ping you later.