Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
*Two* missiles hit, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:same:

Marines always have the best ads. Wonder which marketing firm they used?

Same one as Crayola

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Wowzers. You should know you done hosed up if you ever start thinking MTG is anything other than a raving, bigoted lunatic. CSPAM is a special kind of special.

Can't spell 'camps' without 'cspam'!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

The Imp of Nipples posted:

Yeah, I get that. To be honest, my initial reaction was for the Russians to pull the dregs of humanity from their prisons. The rapists and murderers etc. I assumed they would be used as fodder but also weaponized against the Ukrainians.. I'm not sure if that says more about me or how I view the Russians at this point and I feel bit creepy for going down that road.

When Russia sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to Ukraine. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

McNally posted:

This really ought to be a bannable offense.

Relax, he was probably talking about Irish whiskey.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

once you start baking with a scale you'll never understand how you lived any other way

because baking is a science, cooking is an art.

10% too much flour and you made a rock.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't know Subway ran drilling platforms.

Jared Fogle certainly ... nope, not gonna make some drilling-related joke. NM.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Thaaatll show up on the fire maaaap

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

If there are mass executions to go along with the concentration camps then there will likely be repercussions for the international order, in particular the UN and other instruments of US hegemony.

The camps in question are run by Russia (or their instruments of hegemony) so how will the US (or their instruments of hegemony) experience these "repercussions" precisely if the Russians are killing Ukrainian POWs?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 30, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Yes! And I'll give a you a sample!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Iv'e always considered them to be an underappreciated item in combat, though maybe actual troops think differently.

Iirc mortars do wonders against troops in forested positions

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

It was the bipods i couldnt stand, but yeah im pretty sure i can trace my back problems to humping that goddamn weapon system

A.o.D. posted:

One of the shittiest short straws an infantryman can draw. It's the easiest way to spot the FNG or the unit fuckup.

:)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It was a joke because the turret was almost launched into low earth orbit, so you'd need an escape pod because it's basically a spaceship.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Want to see video or the odds of hitting it right at the exact moment... Maybe one of the trucks hit a pothole and jarred the poorly stored cargo, and kablooey

Or UA fired FASCAM at the bridge as the trucks crossed or ...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Waiting to get better info before I start believing this isn't just more psyops by Ukraine to scare RUAF

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Fuuuuuuck me. Some generals are getting *shot* for this.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I have heard that Pole arms are quite lethal

Just wait until you see their dancers

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

SS-18 Seitan

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Can't spell "camps" without C-SPAM!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

He's not opening cans of sunshine.

Fallout hitting any NATO country could be a treaty invocation, Putin cannot risk that.

The US would almost inevitably respond with steps targeting military targets - someone pointed out sinking the entire Black Sea fleet, taking out the Kerch Bridge, and doing SEAD missions until the only radars left are parking assist devices on cars.

Putin thinks it's bad now? Biden is the last Cold Warrior and he's actually got a loving spine. The GOP is even onside to gently caress Russia over. Turkey might even open the Bosphorus to NATO ships.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BadOptics posted:

Manning got lucky on getting out as early as he did

Excuse me?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Aces High posted:

Though I should say that as a Canadian my knowledge of what exactly US presidents did in their military careers is very unknown to me. In Canada I think the closest any of our PMs got to that kind of violence had more to do with subjugating and genociding indigenous nations.

St. Laurent was too old to serve in WWII, Diefenbaker was in the army until 1917. Lester Pearson was a medic and RAF pilot in WWI. Trudeau was born in 1919 but didn't serve in WWII. Clark (1939), Turner (1929) Mulroney (born 1939) and others too young for WW II. Apart from Trudeau, our PMs were all the wrong ages; almost nobody went to Korea.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

hahahaha how is counter artillery real like walk away from the HIMARS

No you walk away from drone-dropped munitions, HIMARS you have to jog.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

The pipeline was pressurized to 105 bar with methane.

quote:

Nord Stream 2's operator said pressure in the pipeline, which had contained some gas sealed inside despite never becoming operational, dropped from 105 to 7 bars overnight.

That's over 100 atmospheres pressure. There's lots of methane to come out. The remaining 7 bar is just water pressure from being 50m underwater.

Ed: google says 300 million m3 capacity in the pipeline. There *have* to be valves somewhere but if not, at 100 atmospheres, 30 billion cubic metres of methane in there at STP.

gently caress.

Ed2: at 105 bar, it's supercritical fluid to boot.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

The 75mm Skysweeper in the 1950s was several tons as a static emplacement - you don't need to hit something at 30,000 feet anyhow.

As said, flying NOE up to a couple thousand feet means your max direct fire range is how many klicks?
What you need is a gun with adequate range and the ability to rapidly engage targets. 40mm should be fine?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Chomsky was great at pointing out how poo poo US foreign policy has been, from Vietnam on, but starting with Cambodia he started excusing/handwaving/whatever bad things done by people opposing the US. A lot of us who were fans* in the 1980s and 90s (me for example) would sort of excuse his and Herman's Cambodia genocide on the basis of "well other than that *one* thing he's great" but his continued descent into "only America bad" finally pushed me into "please stop". It's like when my life-long leftist labor-organizer uncle started getting bad Alzheimer's and once matter-of-fact busted out how the Jews ran the banks to me, in spite of having close Jewish friends his whole adult life. Just sad.

* I read almost everything he wrote, I exchanged emails, met him a couple times after talks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Kith posted:

Enough of them are in lakes and rivers that this could actually happen at some point

Level II Fire Suppression System

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

You can just barely get an S-300 to the impact location from the very southwest tip of Belarus. If it's an S-300, it's a Ukrainian one.

Report saying SSM range is 120km

https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-uses-s-300-air-defense-missiles-to-attack-ground-targets-in-ukraine/

Can't vouch but it's a number.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

ded posted:

fresh fruit in russia? obvious terrorism

No, that's Scotland

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Hello, Americans. You're doing USPOL in other country threads again.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Fragrag posted:

I guess that projectile didn't arm but the indoors backblast did the most harm. :wtchris:

WHAT, I CANT HEAR YOU, SPEAK UP

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Dragon and both the M67 and the Gustaf recoilless rifles have backblast of about 100' that will gently caress you up. (their actual backblast range is about double that, but that first one hundred feet is what will really ruin your day).

A friend from the reserves got to fire Carl Gs and said "it sucks the snot right out of your nose" and I've never understood the physics of that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

PookBear posted:

I wonder if part of the consideration of the USMC switching to more rocket arty was health reasons.

The rounds look more like crayons

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Monatomic mercury gas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Oh no, Kusnezov's readiness level might go down :geno:

Well it's in dock so they can probably refloat it after

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

So CAPTOR could be laid by a drone boat, no? Wondering what a few would do laid off Sevastopol harbor.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

And this, children, is why we don't plug in unknown USB drives to SCADA equipment.

:d2a:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

psydude posted:

Operational Technology. IT's Bizarro cousin.

It's a freakshow. It's so fun.

(I am GICSP)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

In my view it's easier to teach an InfoSec person about OT systems than teaching a OT person about InfoSec. Some of the stuff you see is, as commented on, old as poo poo.

The challenge of securing networks and devices that assume everything on the network is secure, do no authentication, no encryption, frequently aren't using TCP/IP, run unpatchable firmware or unsupported OS versions... Well it's not boring.

Ed: woops this is really off topic. Ending it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

DW news said the German defense minister gave a formal "we're still thinking about it," in response to Leo 2 transfers at Ramstein meetings.