Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Massachusetts has plenty of chuds and racists, they're just better at hiding it, and are massively outnumbered.

Source: Grew up in Mass/RI.

And there is enough of them that MAGA types have been winning MA GOP primaries lately (as opposed to the Charlie Baker sorts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

the ERA damaged it

Well:
https://twitter.com/GuyPlopsky/status/1658839862366150656

...not impossible, of this particular report is accurate, and not damage control for someone with loose lips.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Seems to me that terror bombing civilians has more potential to bake in western support for Ukraine. That sort of thing hits a nerve that purely military strikes do not.

Only when it's in the capital, since most other strikes (done by things other than cruise missiles) tend to go unreported outside Ukrainian press unless especially bloody.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Flat as gently caress Russian speaking, it was glorious and fascinating to my drunk rear end. Not enough to make me forget the security dude with the sub machine gun but hey.

Was it all the same voice, too? Early on in the 90s there were a whole bunch of bootlegs where the same dude with a strange nasal pronunciation was doing all the voices in such manner --- men, women, children, all would be same.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

psydude posted:

Of course it's a Ukrainian-run operation. They're denying it while winking just like they have with every other attack they've done on Russian soil.

More to the point: does it really matter if it is? What's Russia going to do, invade them more?

It's mostly winking at what Russia was doing in Donbass in 2014 and 2015, which despite being similarly transparent was enough for the big Western governments to pretend not to see it, and for the BBCs of the world to consider the possibility credible --- after all, if Putin says Russia is not involved, it's an official statement and a "side" that must be covered, never mind the T72B3 that apparently arose by immaculate conception.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Y'all should not take Gerashchenko seriously.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, if you look at society writ large, this conclusion applies. If everyone just decided to stop following the rules it would simply all go to poo poo in days if not hours. Best not to think about it too hard.

The problem with computer security is basically that damage is not limited by proximity (for stuff connected to the internet) and that it's much harder to get it wrong than get it right (luckily figuring out it's wrong is often non-trivial).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Victis posted:

You haven't seen guys 18-27 (older for prior military mobilized)? Or do you think there is somehow a glut of contract soldiers still alive and doing all the fighting? I wasn't even aware that mobiks dying in Ukraine was up for debate

lmao where do you think the guys mobilized in September 2022 went??

So there is a distinction between people drafted for their mandatory [1] service upon turning 18ish and people drafted for the war; the government trying to keep the first group uninvolved.

[1] for those who can't afford a bribe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Not discounting negligence, but even NPR was reporting a geological agency detected a blast in the area large enough to register on their seismic stations before it collapsed.

About that:
https://twitter.com/QuentinBrissaud/status/1668219697613905920

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokoshnik

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

my guy

e: Poland "bounced back" by implenting a reaganomics-based "shock therapy" economic transformation plan devised by Jeffrey Sachs and our own finance minister Leszek Balcerowicz. It led to the collapse and the subsequent selling off of every state-owned industry, a recession that lasted throughout most of the nineties, the gutting of our public healthcare, education, transportation and housing. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the same route for any other country.

Except the current state of things in Poland economically is pretty good (things like abortion rights are another story). Ukraine went through all that and the economy is still awful.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

Probably why it’s at a crawl. In low gear with a brick on the throttle.

Seems like you were largely correct --- a previous SV-how-you-spell it based on an MT-LB had a somewhat primitive control method:
https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1670696609024204800

(What was rendered in summary as "fixing the controls" in the original text uses the expression that's roughly "manual throttle"; maybe y'all who know how that thing drives can say more accurately what it means; supposedly had a RC detonator, though)
Edit: actually a different incident!

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 19, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blistex posted:

Honestly surprised we have not seen kitbashed Ukrainian Gavins with mortars or BMP turrets.

People there usually do that with MT-LBs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kesper North posted:

We have zero way of knowing if that video is authentic, tbh

Nope, though there is genuine Russian swearing in background.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's footage of both omon on the streets in rostov and, according to fairly credible people, eg prominent russia-focused journalists, wagner personnel and vehicles also on the streets in rostov. very notably no sounds of gunfire in videos, which is very peculiar. also very possible that who is what is being misidentified, but also not seeing a lot of unit markings either. kind of a 2014 vibe tbh

Omon's job is to beat up peaceful protestors 6-on-1 while armed in riot gear, not to fight mercs with tanks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

carrionman posted:

Normally? Yes.

No part of this loving shitshow of a war has been normal. I have faith in Russian incompetency

The units that are normally supposed to defend Moscow (and who played roles in 91 and 93) are near Kreminna, Luhansk Oblast, Ukraine...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GD_American posted:

ok doublepost but who doesn't love a good popcorn joke

https://twitter.com/Kateryna_Kruk/status/1672538147501096960

Wow, that has Putin audio of him going full stab-in-the-back myth on Russia in WWI.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

They probably mean the M120 Rak, which is an armored mortar carrier. If you've seen one of those in the area and you're getting pelted with whopping huge mortar shells, it's pretty easy to put two and two together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S9_Nona is a thing, and Ukraine should have a bunch.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Orlando Furioso posted:

Be careful on scrolling social media for war updates, there's a video doing the rounds of Russian paratroopers doing their best impression of IS and executing one of their own for expressing support for Prizoghin and the coup

Also an apparent video of supposedly Russian AF bombing a road in Russia with what looks like civilian cars driving... thankfully, they missed, but the car that's dashcaming is showered with mud (and either the cam gets taken out, or the entire car. hopefully just the cam).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

This seems very relevant wrt Ukraine

To make things slightly topical, here is the drawing of Ira Aldridge --- born a descendant of slaves in New York, who went to Britain to act in a somewhat less racist place, and later toured Europe --- drawn by Taras Shevchenko, born a serf, and as a poet the central figure in Ukrainian identity:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The injured baby was actually a French Lt. General.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Computer viking posted:

I want a cast concrete mural with a HIMARS, M270, and like ten different artillery systems.

Then there can be controversy over whether Bohdana ought to be included!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Reminder it's not actually "their own".

Edit: and no, they don't really believe it is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The rules the backers want Ukraine to play by are unreasonable and far beyond what's required by laws of war.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's true. I tend to think of it as something Ukraine will own/part own when they win the war. Which is a little cart before the horses and not helpful to the discussion at hand.
If Ukraine fully wins it's getting demolished. Maybe the Dutch companies who helped build it illegally can help pay for that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its a good sign Russia is sending a message that they are not planning anything. They could be lying, but the IAEA inspects would likely be able to spot anything.

I wouldn't be so unbeat given didn't see rooftops where satellites spotted new stuff recently.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

Is Zelensky a commander-in-chief or is there a Prime Minster in Ukraine? I assume Zelensky has a lot of powers but I don't know the exact distribution.

He seems to have the horse sense to probably not do more than sanity check people who actually know what they are doing, at least.

Zelensky is head of foreign policy; there is also a PM appointed by parliament that's head of domestic policy (though since the parliament is held by the president's party, that's not that important right now).... and if the president is assassinated the succession line is... the speaker of the parliament, who becomes an acting(!) president which has certain limitations on their powers --- for example they might not be able to avoid high-ranking generals?

(See article 112: https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Ukraine,_2004#Chapter_V:_President_of_Ukraine)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
They hold 237 seats in nominally 450 seat parliament (some seats for occupied areas of the 225 that are are based are empty); plus 36 seats are held by friendly other parties. Anyway, think "anti-incumbent" attitude, combined with a charismatic politician running on a vague platform.

A.o.D. posted:

The interim president cannot appoint new military commamders, but is still their commander in chief. Seeing as how a special election is to be held quickly and a new president assumes the office 5 days after the announcement of the results, it's not necessarily a big problem

Well, in 2014 the new election took about 3 months, though it only had one round; a 2nd one may have added around 3 weeks or so, too. It's certainly reasonable for the case it was intended for, but not so much for the "massive invasion and your president is assassinated and a third of population is refugees" sort of situation.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 9, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

SU35 crashed after takeoff in Russia, crashing into an apartment building, killing at least 14.

Huh, where did you see that? Haven't seen that reported myself, which is kind of strange for major stuff like planes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On topic of bad podcast predictions, Radio War Nerd made it quite clear Russia had zero chance of invading and to think otherwise was ludicrous. I had been enjoying episodes on topics I didn’t know much about but had concerns about some stuff they had said on topics I did know about, so that was enough for me to unsubscribe as I lost faith in their expertise.

So war experts getting it wrong is one thing; Russia "experts" are another ---- if they don't know that Russians widely view Ukrainians with racist condescension, and can't account for it in how they predict Russia will act, how much do they really know?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Is there a chance that the deck surface of ships registered in Lichtenstein is bigger than the country?

And speaking of naval stuff, apparently a Russian Su-25 just became either a surface boat or a submarine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i mean you could like, just arrest putin

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1681363364813979648

the russian army is rather occupied atm and their ability to wage a war in the southern tip of africa is, yknow, severely diminished

They could also like, not invite him?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think this is more putting your guys in the Guards units means that your non-Guards units get increasingly raggedy and lovely and demoralized, while doing something more equitable might lead to overall better combat power.

Well, also the unit being Guards often just means that the WWII predecessor of that unit was. That, or the unit did something like Bucha and Putin wanted to enjoy pointing out that they got away with it.

(Before Ukraine got rid of the old Soviet honors, and created a bunch of new units I am pretty sure the majority of its units were Guards. Weirdly the The 24th wasn't one despite having a more impressive record than many units that were, e.g. the near-to-my-old-hometown 28th).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, continuing to destroy grain export infrastructure of Ukraine, which they did a bunch of damage to overnight is likely to be an easier route. Especially since it apparently garnered even less response than the usual warcriming.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

The worst injuries in the Airborne are nearly always static line related. I think it was around 03/04, some dude at Bragg got his arm basically degloved from bicep to wrist. In Airborne school, they shared an anecdote that someone once had their entire arm pulled off, and was dead before landing.

Landing injuries are fairly predictable, and not as scary.

...A Russian pilot just died a few days ago after drowning after getting tangled in his chute (while a whole bunch of Russian citizens were relaxing on the beach nearby). Of course, pilots probably don't train that part that much...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think that's Pavel Gubarev, former self-proclaimed governor of Donetsk (and before that a Nazi and a Natzbol), and apparently currently also arrested. He may have forgotten he is not in Ukraine any more.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

And a mall santa

Well, nothing wrong with that. Affiliating with the "if you vote for Yuschenko there will be... black priests in your church!" party OTOH...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Overall it seems like Chinese quads are still heavily used, which is something that probably should be a concern to US military....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm probably missing some glaringly obvious issue, so I feel the need to ask- what makes you say that? They aren't tied in or integrated defense systems, and the ubiquitous use of COTS drones has become routine in combat zones. SoF and advisor units even have experience integrating them into Allied operations.

Only that in the nightmare scenario of a war with China they'll be the ones with tens of thousands of cheap drones, while US will probably be producing drones with 7 digit costs in single-digit quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

That sucks. Though I understand that the Centaur is delayed because they ordered engines from Blue Origin that are also delayed so Amazon only have Bezos's other company to blame.

The Centaur part (the upper stage) isn't using blue origin engines (it's using the Aerojet Rocketdyne RL-10, which has been around for 60 years), and is somewhat delayed because it blew up. The Vulcan part (the lower stage) is indeed delayed due to blue origin engines, though.