Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Correction they might have known there was an UAV nearby. They did not realize it was hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could a Russian conscript with a smartphone easily get online in Ukraine and read any news sites?

See why they confiscated all the soldiers' smartphones? Can't have any intel reaching the grunts. If that means we can't get any of our intel to the grunts either, then so be it.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are what, 28 countries in NATO? Why do you think you can make such a definitive judgement about this? I would imagine there are troops in Poland and the Baltics that would be ready to go

What makes you imagine that Poland and any of the Baltic states are in a mood to see their whole country die in a horrible ball of fire?
The fact that their biggest enemy is currently bleeding himself to death?
The fact that their neighbor is currently ripping the Russian army to shreds?
The fact that Putin is desperate and thus even more likely to go all out world-ending on them if they so much as sneeze on the Russian border?
Even if there were troops ready to go. Are we talking mentally ready to hop over to Ukraine and lend a hand? Or does "ready to go" mean the Polish army is drafting plans to conduct no poo poo logistic operations in support of entire army units moving across the border into Ukraine?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sorry should have been more clear - I meant covertly providing experts and material

I could definitely see the material come in handy for Ukraine, but experts? Ukraine has been at war for 8 years now, Poland has been worrying about war for a decades. The manpower would probably be welcomed in the form of the foreign volunteer brigade that Ukraine has established, but I'm not quite sure what Poland could actually offer in the way of expert advice (not dissing Poland here, I just think Ukraine has that much more experience fighting the type of war they are currently in)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Flikken posted:

Has any trustworthy numbers of Russian losses come out?? All I've seen is what the Ukrainian Army has released which are going to be inflated(even if they are only doubling the real numbers :stare:)

Ukraine is claiming Russian losses are up around 6000 soldiers (not sure if they are combining deaths and injuries here).
The Russians are claiming that they've sustained "only" 500 deaths and 1600 injured. So....that's gonna be a good bit higher than that.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The vast majority of the tactics we've seen them display, both in combat footage and training footage, has also given the impression that they don't really do tactics beyond "huddle together for safety of numbers" and "advance in a group to provide moral support"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Maybe that demand for Ukraine to demilitarize is actually code for "could we have our tanks and stuff back?"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lords of the Realm II was the best for stuff like that. Split your army between 999 and one guy and have that fellow carry out a multi-month campaign of torching the baron's fields. Fire a volley of arrows then take one step back to annihilate the enemy's archers without losing a guy. Attack a massive castle outnumbered 20 to 1 and kite the defenders around the battlefield until the path is clear to have one guy run in and touch their flag for instant victory. drat that owned.

That and the cheerful way the narrator/advisor voice would go "buy these cattle?" and "slaughter these villagers?" without skipping a beat or changing his tone.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The Swedish population hasn't faced an existential crisis since....the 30 years war.
Throughout all of Covid, the general response has been one of complete ignorance to the fact that it might also hit Sweden. Yes the world suffers, what does that have to do with Sweden?
It has been a frustrating experience to live through as a Dane living in Sweden.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Sorry for kicking up a hornet's nest there. What I meant with "general response" was "the people living in my village and the nearby town".

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Their air force has regularly been sent directly into the ground yes.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Cimber posted:

I should have more coffee before replying.

I'd say that the joke flew over your head, but in this case it just fell flat.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

GD_American posted:

Had one of those “farted in church” laughs (you know, not supposed to laugh, harder you try worse it gets) picturing him cutely bouncing thru the field, an explosion, then a single frame later an obvious stuffed animal replacement flying off in the air going ARF ARF ARF like it’s a Zucker Abrams Zucker movie.

Maybe it’s an irrational reaction to having viewed that other tweet, knowing I shouldn’t have looked.

Good dog tho. Go save those lives

Goddamn you. I pulled my back something fierce an hour ago. Still hurts like a motherfucker.
And then you get me to laugh.
A good laugh that I really needed after *gestures vaguely at yesterday*, but fuuuck that hurt.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
He might die a lot sooner than he'd otherwise hoped. The real kicker is the amount of suffering that will be the prime focus of his life now.
Gonna be a real good day when this poo poo is finally over.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Somehow this reminds me of this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DrMUKwy4o&t=1416s

Well except for the russian leader being as charismatic as the Tzar, famous for being kind and useless.
And the Russians being willing to die for their beloved leader.
And the competence of the Tzar's forces (lol).

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
But if you report your gear as being anything other than in pristine condition, you'll either be on the hook for its replacement you might get a hit put out against you by the Russian mafia.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
A lot of the reason why it is so effective at slaughtering people is also the first salvo coming out of loving nowhere.

Receiving end of the line of fire:
Don't click this if it is gonna bring up bad memories and mess up your day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvcdKGD-FM

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
At first impression, with a strike like that the rest of the world's nuclear capable nations would be forced to kill the snot out of the USA right then and there or accept that the US can dictate anything it want to anyone it wants from then on out. If they have proven willing and able to snipe a nation as big as Russia without regard to the fallout hitting their allies and without the russians managing to fire off a meaningful reply, no-one else is going to be safe.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
It's also a great new title since the user panel has that column going "Killed By" "name of last person to post"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I mean, its ALSO the remnants of a pontoon bridge. One that seems to have been in use when it stopped being an active duty pontoon bridge and started being diversified into pontoon bridge debris.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

"Now he's just an old man that no one believes
Says he's a gunfighter, the last of the breed..."

I've had a few people say the same. I just don't get it. I'm just an old man who gets kicks of spicy memories from a youth spent on an edge I never saw.

I don't think I did much interesting, or worth reading about outside of some fun and nostalgic anecdotes. I treated war as a live fire larp. On my end, I spent my entire life in pursuit of a craft that can't be mastered, to learn lessons I can't teach, to do a job I can't do.

Seriously, the way you describe your time in Iraq is one of the first times I've read some talking about being a human being who was sent to live among other human beings in a nation called Iraq. A lot of people here talk about going through some serious poo poo there and I absolutely believe them.

You manage to talk about the place in a way that hammers home that this is just another city just like the ones we live in and its just people just like the ones in our daily civilian lives.
You make it feel like reality instead of a warped mirror world where youth and dreams go to die.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't a clue who that is.

I appreciate the support guys, I do. It even came up in therapy today. It's just so much work, and I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. Lol

You've done a large part of the writing work already. The hardest part is getting the ball rolling and if you go back through your post history and start copy/pasting all your anecdotes into a single file, you've got the basic structure down already. After that its a matter of editing existing content for stuff you don't want to share beyond a bunch of goons and fleshing out the stories that you feel need more context.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Hotdamn! thank you for doing this.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

A.o.D. posted:

It sounds like you give a lot of credence to Erdogan's conspiracy theory laying the blame for the 2016 coup attempt at the feet of a man who had been in exile for roughly 16 years. Is that a good read?

I'm not sure we read the same post there.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Getting the big picture around that guy can take a surprising amount of effort.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Great Patriotic Police Action. Should get the republicans to vote for shipments of weapons to go to Russia. Back the blue and all that.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
https://www.ibtimes.com/russia-threatens-take-back-alaska-us-over-war-sanctions-3564746

Best of luck with that one .

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Did you not see the instructional/promotional video for their multi-tool shovel?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Nah, this beauty right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryyAenmzHM

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Icon Of Sin posted:

It just involves less alcohol somehow.

Citation extremely needed and still doubted.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Are we...and this is probably sounding super conspiracy minded, but...are we even sure that she was ever in the car?
No I haven't been looking at pictures or videos of people meeting a gruesome death and I'd prefer to keep it that way. A simple yes or no will suffice.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Eh I can understand that it's distasteful, but it's not like teenage girls weren't doing it to Nazi's, in I want to say the Netherlands or Denmark. They'd lure Nazi's from bars and then take them to the woods, where they'd get whacked and buried.

That was in the Netherlands.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Theoretically as many as 20-22 but no submarine commander is going to completely offload all of his sub's torpedoes.

We are talking about the navy where one of the captains sold the screws of his own ship for the scrap value during a refit.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah the Danes are very good at the spooky stuff. That is true.

This feels like bait...

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Maybe he was trying to make it more energetic?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Alan Smithee posted:

The French:

“Fire ze missiles!”

“But I am le tired”

Oh goddamn you :golfclap:
Been ages since I saw that stupid thing and the

"AAAA MOTHERLAND"

“Fire ze missiles!”

“But I am le tired”

Still pops up in my train of thought from time to time

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Alchenar posted:

Russian MOD claiming that the evacuation is complete and that no heavy equipment was left behind. Obviously heavy skepticism on the second part of the claim, but pretty impressive if they pulled ~20k troops out overnight.

They said complete. As in they have finished pulling troops out. They did not say they pulled all their troops out. Just that they stopped and called it a day.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Can't defeat them if you can't keep up with their withdrawal pace.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Right up until someone like Trump pulls the same stunt as Trump did to the Kurds.
Just suddenly telling the whole force to pick up their poo poo and gently caress off, leaving the local population to deal with the very curious Russian tourists coming to loot the abandoned base for trinkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Lots of updates came through twitter, which has seen a marked reduction in credible war updates, from what I've understood.