Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Given their approach to war I'd genuinely be questioning if it was accidental or purposeful.

Considering that the wind in Pripyat right now is blowing towards Belarus, releasing a bunch of radioactive material would hurt the Neo-Russian Empire more than it would Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nickel Grass also didn't involve a war where the opposing side implicitly threatened nuclear armageddon if anyone intervened.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Everyone kept saying that Ukrainian military morale is high and god drat, if this is how the regular line soldiers are feeling about things, then it really must be that high.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

So what happens if Putin doesn't win? And by doesn't win, I mean fails to completely overthrow the government in a short time period. Not like he can just back down at this point. His dick is already too far into crazy, and his entire image is of a strong man who never loses.

He starts drafting every Russian man between 18 and 60 that can hold an AK and tells them to go commit war crimes or go to Forever Jail for treason.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I would think it’s fair to say that if the US launch in operation like this and ignoring all the hilarious Russian gently caress ups, had losses like these they’ve suffered, heads would be rolling about right now, right?

Depends on if it had an impact on Raytheon and Lockmart stock.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

"I need ammunition, not a ride." Is one of the most metal things I've ever heard, goddamn. This dude was a comedian before he got elected??

The mayor of Kyiv is also staying to fight. He's a retired professional boxer who held the WBC heavyweight title for five years, and only relinquished it because he wanted to run for mayor of Kyiv.

e: 41-2 record, only losses were one RTD and one TKO. No "real" knockouts. God drat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The brother who's the mayor of Kyiv is also a chess enthusiast and friend of former chess world champion Vladimir Kramnik.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jokers Gamble posted:

Just gotta send one more load of paratroopers, and Kiev is ours!

"Wait, what do you mean we're out of Il-76es?"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I wonder what cspam’s thoughts on the Holodomor are.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Luv 2 parrot billionaire criminals 4 communism.

loving a, man, how can you be leftist and pro Russia?

Because their idea of leftism is just “america bad” and not any actual critical understanding of leftist theory beyond the summaries they get from youtube.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I understand shooting those down is a big deal, but how much of a big deal would a loss of 4 be?

Numbers-wise, not a huge deal. Something like a thousand or more Il-76s have been built.

Morale and manpower wise? I think the estimate is that an average of 150 paratroopers or so can fit into an Il-76 with the ability to drop materiel as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sentinel posted:

If only we could be so lucky.

I don't think anyone would vote to retaliate even if it happened on US soil.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

alright listen pooty-poot, I've got a week of work left before a week of vacation and I plan on binge-watching the whole of Farscape over the next fourteen days. can you at least do me the decency of holding off for at least that long before you decide to launch SS-18 Satan, hallowed be his name? namaste

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Apparently Russian troops are being given rations that expired seven years ago? Eating expired rations was a joke on How to With John Wilson, not a winning strategy

https://twitter.com/ALF_rednecks/status/1498365532134854661

Send 'em to Steve1989MREInfo, he'll happily dig in.

nice, mmkay

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder if they are even running encryption on those chinese radios.

They aren't. You can hear frontline comms chatter on WebSDR. There's usually people in the chat translating it live.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Speaking of, Steve's got a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_eFoIemjU

No wonder Ukrainian morale is high. This looks way better than the Russian field rations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

I have a very hard time believing that Russia connected mission critical C2 servers to the public internet and that they don't have fault tolerance or redundancy built in.

But then again I also thought an army based around vehicles would bother bringing enough gas with them to drive more than 100km so who the gently caress knows.

At one point there were some tactical comms on unencrypted HF that Russian troops were calling out positions on.

While thousands of people were listening to it on WebSDR.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Speaking of, how do we think things are going for ol' Snowden right about now? I completely forgot that guy was still in Russia.

My money's on "tortured for intel" or "medically induced coma in a benzo withdrawal clinic Jordan Peterson style"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The fact that people in c-spam are genuinely hoping for the fall of Kyiv (a name which they refuse to use the Ukrainian transliteration for :thunk:) so they can own their posting enemies' gang tags is loving vile and I don't understand why JeffPOS thinks that forum is alright to keep around.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

All the mods are insanely defensive over anyone bringing the forum up so I wonder what the gently caress is going on

Last time someone brought this up in QCS they got dogpiled and helldumped by c-spam regulars and the mods just let it go for like 30 pages before finally going "meh nothing we can do about it" and closing the thread.

It's incredibly loving bizarre that the GBS 2.0 grade successor to LF somehow runs this website. At least the new absentee owner doesn't get strung out and beat women

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

jesus gently caress, how are these people allowed on this site

Because we traded one absentee owner for another and in the process we let QCS run out all the admins who gave a poo poo and replace them with absolute morons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

In less than a week Putin has single-handedly shown the world that main battle tanks truly are the “battleships of the land”, in that they can be killed a couple dudes with a missile launcher less than a tenth of the cost of the now smouldering husk they fired at.

I can’t imagine he’s pleased about this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lightpole posted:

Ukraine is a country. I've always assumed the Ukraine is a region. Is it actually more complicated than this?

Yeah, some Russian media continued to intentionally use and push the use of "the Ukraine" instead of "Ukraine" post-1991 as a method of normalizing the thought that Ukraine is a temporarily-embarrassed region of Russia or whatever instead of a sovereign nation.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure at this point Ukraine has more Javelins and NLAWs than Russia has drivable tanks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

not sure if y'all have posted this since it's like a half-day old, but jesus christ they turned molotov cocktail-making into a community-building event, like a loving potluck

https://twitter.com/hackingbutlegal/status/1499027208555401222

live, laugh, love (to kill invading russians)

Adding styrofoam for thickening. Clever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Ukrainian PWRs also have better containment reactors than the ones deployed in Russia, partially for compliance with western nuclear reactor safety standards but also because they know very very well what happens when you don't give a poo poo about reactor safety.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

To be fair, I'm also wondering when he's going to fall out of a polonium window.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

Some European and Asian domestic market spec vehicles include radios that receive shortwave bands.

My understanding is that it's basically just us new worlders that mostly gave up on listening to shortwave.

Shortwave and longwave are friggin cool and I've been enjoying listening to weird broadcasts around the world using WebSDR lately. I have a USB SDR module but I can't put up a giant-rear end antenna on my balcony so I can't hear much other than local radio.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I don't even understand why they bother with this type of charade anymore. They obviously intend to use chemical/biological weapons, so why don't they just use them and retain some semblance of surprise instead of spelling out what they intend to do with this awkward high school theatre acting?

The only thing I can think of is that they really like to rub it in that they can basically brag about the utterly abhorrent poo poo they're about to openly do because no one is willing to risk nuclear war to stop them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're not helping. Why is that, leon

Let me tell you about my mother. [sound of a Javelin firing]

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

You think the Russians are going to drop a tactical nuke on a city they have troops in? Mariupol is one of the only places where they're actually making progress.

There's film footage from the 60s of a Chinese nuclear test wherein after the bomb goes off literal cavalry rides into the blast wave on horseback with gas masks on.

I'm imagining something similar to that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Soul Dentist posted:

Is orc a military acronym or just a way to other the enemy?

It's definitely an otherization thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, the message was that Starship Troopers is good

:hmmyes:

I learned recently that they did a 4K transfer and remaster of Starship Troopers. It's absolutely phenomenal. The visuals in that movie still stand up incredibly well thanks to all the practical effects and modelwork in the space scenes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a javelin

"If you can buy a T-72, you can buy ten Javelins"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

McNally posted:

The system used to override an existing probation with the most recent one so if you had a buddy on a week probation you could throw a sixer at him to spring him from it.

Wait, hold on, if an IK gives a sixer, a mod can't immediately turn it into a 24, because the code designed to prevent IKs from turning long probes into sixers just does that reciprocally somehow? :psyduck:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MrYenko posted:

The only thing I’ve learned in my time on SA is that the forums code is held together with volunteers’ blood seat and tears, bailing twine, and hope.

Always reminds me of this log snippet a previous coder (zdr maybe?) posted once.

"someone has stolen your trees" is one of my favourite nonsensical error messages and I have definitely used it in something that never went to production as the generic "something went wrong" error string.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also Canada has been producing commercial-grade power reactors that can run on loving *anything* for decades. Natural uranium, spent fuel from reactors that need enriched fuel, MOX fuel... poo poo, India has been using the thorium fuel cycle in their CANDU-derived reactors and it's been working just fine.

We should be selling everyone the reactors and the fuel to go with them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I think the only realistic hope left for Ukraine is for Putin to [redacted].

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Joke Miriam posted:

Are there actually nukes in the Moskva? When I google it, I only get results from various British tabloids and it seems like they just meant it hard missiles that COULD carry a nuclear warhead, but likely wouldn't.

Knowing the embezzlement and corruption elsewhere in the Russian military, I imagine that the physics packages for most of Russia's nukes were stolen and sold off for megayacht fuel years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Turns out slamming a missile into a boat full of missiles and other ordnance causes a big loving explosion that is very bad for the boat. Whoda thunk it?