Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't get the people who think Ukraine is done for . . .

Is it just wishful and contrary thinking?

yes lol

literally these people believe the attack on kiev was a feint and that at any moment russia could either destroy the entire ukrainian army in donbass, or sweep odessa; the only reason they arent is because Putin is holding back for humanitarian reasons since he hopes for negotiations to succeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

psydude posted:

If we send all of the tanks across the bridge at once, they won't be able to kill ALL of us.

keep driving in tanks until you have a bridge of tanks

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Obviously those blown up tanks are ukrainian tanks.

This is unironically what is believed by many pro-Russians and "I'm not pro russia but I just keep sharing Russia Today and Russians with attitude" people

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

How about two in a row though?

Something could have a 0.001% chance of failure and you could get two failures in a row

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah you are giving the Russian maintenance system way more credit than its earned given they are issuing vehicles to the front lines with tires that were made in the USSR.

Im not giving it any credit, I'm just saying that one video is not evidence of a given system's reliability. Anecdotes are not data, and all that.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

You can easily see in his eyes and body language how carefully he's choosing his words. He knows the official line and knows just how far he can push it, but is also desperate to get the truth out there because he sees a looming disaster.

I was a little shocked that he dared to call out how ridiculous and futile threatening Finland with nukes was.

His article in Novaya Gazeta before the war was very forceful and didn't mince any words,if you think this was shocking you should read it. It's a really good read in hindsight because all of his predictions came true pretty much, I think you can find it by googling his name

Ultimately theres no risk of them putting this guy away. Regimes whether democratic or authoritorian have to keep up the appearance of legitimacy and this guy is a patriot just stating his opinion, if it was an issue they would just stop having him on tv and tell him to stop writing articles. If anything its good to have dissenters on to temper expectations in case the government decides to change course.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 17, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The pentagon says the war is going to last literally years, so couldn't they train new pilots and maintainers instead of pulling people off the line? They will need the F-16s in 18 months just like they need them now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh god that thing was absolutely hilarious, just totally devoid of common sense or logic. Just list enough to fit an infographic. lol

The Civil War, aka the War of Northern Aggression

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Tanks today also have to deal with vastly superior anti tank weapons to ever before, e.g. javelins

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Russia devolving into a modern Warlord Era China situation would be fascinating, and utterly terrifying.

Would make a pretty good HoI4 mod tho

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
base m1s would still be pretty good in ukraine, they're better protected than t-62s and t-72as, have a thermal sight, and 105mm is good enough for anything but the latest tanks

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There was a terrible book series where the US intercepting UK mail ships in 1861 led to Prince Albert dying of shock and Queen Victoria immediately ordering a raid to punish the US but accidentally razing a CSA town so they call off the civil war and team up against the UK and by book 3 it’s like 1868 & US/Irish tanks are rolling into London. I’m making it sound much better than it is.

This sounds so terrible its back to being great

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Merlot Brougham posted:

Shelby Foote already cornered that market, didn't he?

CSA winning the civil war alt hists is like a hobby for old well-to-do southern gentlemen or something. I know two who have self published such books. Despite being nice people who never showed a hint of racism in person, the fact that they spent the effort to write books in which confederate sympathizers are the protagonists immediately makes me intensely suspicious of them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ASAPI posted:

Wasn't the gas supply to the EU one of the very few things Putin had for leverage? Other than CBRNE weapon systems, what does he have left for leverage?

Otoh, leverage only matters if you're willing to actually use it

seems unlikely that they blew up the pipelines now though, if they were gonna do that why not wait until the depths of winter

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CabooseRvB posted:

IMO, if the Ukrainians are asking for MBT's, they are far better off pressuring the Germans into their Leopard MBT's. It's within their own continent which cuts the need for trans-ocean shipping and their engines run off diesel as opposed to our jet-turbines. Logistically, it is far easier to maintain European-based MBT's since a lot of their militaries don't have the logistical power to ship bulk amounts of jet fuel to get an ABCT continuously blitzing.

you can put diesel, or pretty much any other fuel, into m1 abrams. it doesnt need jet fuel. shipping poo poo overseas isnt a real big deal for america either, which you may recall sustained like a hundred thousand soldiers on the other side of the planet in a landlocked country

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Theres still an active mp community for World In Conflict but its very sweaty out there. Wargame Red Dragon and now WARNO may scratch a similar itch (though still hugely different, wic was pretty unique)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am slightly losing my mind at the 'comparatively small, moderately fast moving explosives will revolutionize naval warfare' takes. this thread is like 3% as bad as basically everywhere else is rn

(same feeling towards 'wow this is the first war that's heavily filmed' and 'wow no one knew that drones would revolutionize warfare like this' type takes)

could be worse, we're at least past the "tanks are completely outdated" phase

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wombot posted:

Ukraine has Su-25 aircraft - I'm surprised we haven't seen video of gun runs against Russian armor. Maybe artillery and guided munitions have made using the 30mm an unnecessary risk?

both sides are packing loads of anti aircraft missiles, gun runs would be suicide. thats also why they're both using helicopters as lovely mlrs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

pmchem posted:

you can add up all soviet/russian deaths in both Chechnya wars and Afghanistan (multiple decades of conflict...) and it comes to what, perhaps half of their deaths to date in Ukraine? at some point that should be relevant, right?

yeah but otoh there are historic examples of nations being able to drag hundreds of thousands or millions of people into fighting and dying in wars of aggression or wars with rather abstract political goals

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I know SA frowns on fringe science, but after looking into a related topic (remote viewing) for quite a while to see if it's legit & then simply trying it myself, apparently there's something to it.

the psychic attacks are coming from inside the forums

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Friend, while your on probation, do yourself a favor and buy WARNO. Its better than Wargame was.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Murgos posted:

Have they added the single player campaign and single player QoL improvements they promised, yet?

Cause, as much as I like the premise of Eugen’s RTS games they really sort of suck unless you are a hyper focused cpm master.

No singleplayer campaign yet, hold off if that is a big draw for you. The game does have a lot of general QoL improvements from SD2 and some of its own too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

His track record is pretty bad lately. Disputes OCPW and chemical weapons in Syria, has a weird account on Osama, made some claims very clearly then later said he was representing the story, not the facts, etc.

Here it’s an even weirder reach, because Russia already said the UK was behind the nord stream pipeline sabotage.

E: beaten a lot

i agree re: the uk. Makes no sense for russia to say it was the uk if supposedly there was all this evidence it was actually america.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

the nuclear threats are coming from inside the democracy

e: im assuming the test launch was planned a long time ago, else just deciding to do an icbm launch at this time would be kinda creepy with whatever getting shot down over north america

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 13, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

With what army though.

Steven seagal is still in reserve

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Rip swiss arms industry

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Next you'll be citing Sy Hersh. What do you get out of these weird Russia-laundering drivebys?

jack murphy isnt some putin lapdog lmao

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

kill me now posted:

I think my biggest takeaway from this wiki is, there is a secondary collectors market for live 60 year old grenades?!? :wtc: :911:

The grenades only blow up in value with age

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

These are loss levels unseen in combat since at least Korea.

the Iran Iraq war was pretty deadly too

Arab israeli wars were short but sharp and killed a lot of people in a short amount of time

And the military casualties in the tigray war are likely underestimated

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 4, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Planes are useful, but take a long time to introduce, and also represent a very substantial commitment. You dont give them planes and then give up on them

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
GBAD

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd argue this was probably a coordinated tactic to allow Russia an easy offramp prior to there invasion. Among other things, the US being so vocal was intended to let Putin to walk away from the buildup with the win of making the Great Satan again look like it was an alarmist war monger. Ukraine's reluctance to publicly entertain the threat helped stymie a panic which could have advanced Putin's goals before he even committed his forces, destabilizing both the political system and economy.

There's no evidence on either side to back this up, but it seems a pretty reasonable hypothesis :shrug:

Eh, interviews with Ukrainian commanders ive seen from the early days do not at all suggest that this was the case. If it was a coordinated tactic, it wasnt coordinated with the actual soldiers on the ground anyways

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tunicate posted:

One of the complaints in the movie is that giving it a gun might make enemies shoot at it. Because clearly an unarmed vehicle full of soldiers never would get shot at.

IT LOOKS LIKE A TANK!!!!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1660664585773363201

I know I've been proven wrong before, but some of the reporting today has to be bullshit. I mean they can't possibly be this stupid, right?

All cops are bad!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i wish 58% of my country had commuter rail

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
the wagner columms are intermingled with civiloan traffic so its not easy to bomb them

and also look like any other rrussian military column

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

400 new posts overnight? Ukraine must’ve had a major breakthrough. Let’s see how far they’ve…

Oh…

Ohhhhhhhh poo poo. :stare:

lol

Russia has achieved a massive breakthrough, but its not the one theyd hoped for

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I think we need to reevaluate the policy of keeping clancychat to a minimum.

tom clancy would consider what's happening to be clancychat, this war has jumped the shark

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The world is made of clancychat

clancy himself would never have written such drivel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
you can have all the tools and its still incredibly difficult to remove mines. it involces maneuvering vulnerable, easily identifiable vehicles into position and deploying equipment such as mine rollers while under heavy artillery fire to clear a narrow lane, and then having to advance in column over open sight lines through the cleared lane