Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

welcome to a new year, welcome to a new generation of cars, welcome to possibly the same amount of on-track passing as before. at least this time they looked at "how do we make close racing better" scientifically rather than just say "narrower cars with less grip, there ya go" like for 1998.

good work on the OP, and looking forward to seeing live practice sessions this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

That schtick only works if you're a non-trash driver. Yuki is a trash bin man.

Yuki isn't a bad driver, but he's been promoted very quickly to F1. I said it last year, if this was the 1990s, Yuki would be the kind of driver made to test cars five days a week around Europe all season, or go to IndyCar for the year to get racing experience. He just needs more experience, and it's difficult to justify that while also taking an F1 seat. But it's more for F1 teams to stop loving promoting 20 year olds into F2 and then F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmZ posted:

mods ban for racism

keep crying wolf, OP, and you may get a surprise

Dante posted:

on the other hand there's literally a 20 year old who was the runner-up in british f4 in 2017, won the french eurocup in 2019, won f3 in 2020, won f2 in 2021 and doesn't have a f1 seat in 2022. Meanwhile Kevin Magnussen just signed a multi-year deal. There's a lot of talented 20-year olds, but pay drivers and washed-up champs are hogging a bunch of seats. And also KM for some inexplicable reason. If anything more young talent should be promoted and given a shot.

ah we have another Australian poster, good to have ya mate.

[edit] this is also a failure of Renault in particular, because they do not have a second team to try and trick into taking a young driver. It's almost like F1 needs more teams on the grid :thunk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but it would be insane to tune in half an hour early to sky coverage for a practice session

Cirofren posted:

Let's loving gooooooo! F1 is back baby! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

the F1 thread is truly a land of contrasts

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

digging the new graphics and that we have chaos from the jump, thanks Ocon

also Hulk having a rough time of learning these new cars as well, if that brake lock-up is any indication.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrari goes back to black wings and ditches the smokes and look what happens

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

What level of racism is this?

that's a level beyond 2nd Racism for sure. Probably 3rd or 4th :staredog:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Trulli’s kid may be the worst racing driver of all time.

Considering his dad was a train conductor, it’s amazing he’s made it to the high junior levels already.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lots of first day of school rustiness from pit crews today

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Hope Haas can avoid a re-run of 2018

oh god, I cannot imagine.

there's also been two front wings in this F2 feature race damaged in precisely the same way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What a drat race

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

The Palmer feed is “international” and Brundle/Crofty is “for horse eaters only” which almost makes up for PLC being less good.

so is the Palmer feed an 'international English' one instead of using the Sky feed? Interesting.

Low Percent Lunge posted:

Feeling confident this thread can be changed from CARS to RACING since we experienced an increase in on-track action and a considerable reduction in crowd shots, celebrity garage footage and mid-race team principal interviews.

:hmmyes: this is an excellent point, goon sir.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Best Motoring and Hot Version are the poo poo. I love watching episodes from years ago, even if I've seen them numerous times, and they are still just as good as something put out recently. Phwoar Our Keiichi :allears:

oh yeah, I need to go watch a lot more Best Motoring stuff. Japanese motoring mags are real real good.

Residency Evil posted:

The weather is getting nicer, so I may drive my 1997 Carrera, powered by 2026 Red Bull Racing Official Powertrain Supplier Porsche.

enjoy the posh Beetle, I need to trick my dad into letting me drive his when I go visit the States next.

nawilo_420 posted:

and/or proper 24/7 public transport

best public transit nation in the world doesn't even have 24/7 transit except on New Year's Eve, because otherwise there are people who'd legit never leave the office.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nawilo_420 posted:

i'm not sure what you are talking about op, but I live in Berlin and we literally have 24/7 public transit

Tokyo metro: the real Dark Souls starts here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Seb isn't sick at all. With his new found morality, he's simply refusing to race in countries with poor human rights and a lack of democracy, such as Bahrain or Saudi Arabia. Expect him to also skip Miami and Silverstone.

but he was at the test in Bahrain? and you'd think he would want to be more public about this if it was a stance? I don't see that idea being on the mark, honestly.

sounds like Alpine already have new parts on their car, updated sidepods, so excited to see the rest of this race weekend get started.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmZ posted:

:hmmyes:

I need to watch more old races. Just went through 99 on f1tv.

Sad that they only ever tested in that paint scheme. 1998-99 were real fun years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just caught up on the thread after watching the race this morning, that was a good-rear end race even if all the drivers are right that this track needs to be safer.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Still laughing that Russian fertilizer money paid for a good car that said Russian oligarch's fail son can't drive. Also, was anyone else a bit shocked by how weird and casual Latifi sounded on the radio for an a absolute shitter of a crash?

I mean, the Russian billionaire’s son not enjoying the fruit of the 2021 labors is hilarious because it’s firmly in the “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” category IMO. Make your money and spend it this way, but lol when that bites back.

Also from watching the race and replay, it almost looked like Latifi had a suspension break? It looked like a really weird snap, and not regular oversteer.

And now we get out of the Gulf and over to Australia for the first time since COVID started. Very excited for this one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't he lose the rear in Abu Dhabi as well? I'd go with the option of him just being bad.

it's entirely possible he's just not F1 good, destined to take his money into IndyCar and/or sports cars sooner than later, and that's not like some surprise I've never thought of. and maybe it was being a bit tired and watching it on the phone screen this morning, but it just seemed like a potential front failure (so suspension failure) than just running out of talent getting onto the throttle.

Theophany posted:

https://twitter.com/Speedcaster/status/1508247492923736067

"for two points I would've hosed the whole paddock" lol

if anyone is interested, there was a real good interview/article with Guenther Steiner recently in Motorsports Magazine about leading the Ford Focus WRC program, and developing that Focus WRC in nine months. The man is smart and also so dedicated to motorsports, and I'm real happy it looks like Haas' development has paid off.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's time for Mercedes to ask themselves if his toxic presence is necessary in the team, or hell, in the sport of Formula One

You’d snap him up for the Scuderia in a heartbeat though, OP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mercedes can fix the aero issue all they want and if the power unit is still very clearly dogshit it won’t matter much.

It's most likely a mix of both, and the easiest one to fix will be the aero issues. and I don't know if on current evidence any of the engines are "clearly dogshit," they're maybe 1% off one another but it's still too early to truly tell. considering that the Mercedes is still running in the top-end mix, it's likely that the Ferrari made gains versus the Honda and Mercedes, but it's also likely very small margins. Most important is it appears the Renault has actually made some big steps too, so we could be in a case where all four of the power units are close to one another.

marshalljim posted:

What? No, it doesn't. That wouldn't make sense.

At best, it roughly maintains the time deltas (gaps) between cars. In practice, some drivers benefit from it and some get screwed.

yep, it's supposed to allow the time differences be kept while reducing speed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

VSC is a highly fraudulent "safety" feature and any decent honorable motorsport series would just do what they do at LM24 which is virtual pit lane sectors. Shocking and criminal that Formula "One" rejects these obvious steps.

going down to 80 kph for the Slow Zones is a hell of a shock but it works well, especially on the longer tracks and in mixed category racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Ferrari said during testing they made a 25hp gain on their engine for this year which if true probably puts the Renault up 10ish hp vs the Merc and Honda maybe less than 5 up on Ferrari.

This is all assuming that the Merc is unchanged from whatever party mode engine they deployed end of last year.

It’s also very cool that the equivalent of a mid level go kart or a high power pressure washer is making such big differences in the performance of the cars.

yeah, my high-level understanding is Ferrari had some experience with the E5 fuel so maybe have tuned better for E10, and the big one being the switch to the 800v high voltage system inside the car, which will help charge and discharge the system that bit quicker.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Mike Krack, the one and only, got a lot of haters and lot of homies, some friends and some phonies.

Back then f1 didn't want me, now Im hot f1 all on me

[extremely Lance Stroll voice] I got the Internet goin' nuts

Powershift posted:

my brain went straight to PGR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_HOmQYbsHs

Still, that's going to be dope as hell once the MSG sphere is done. they could show live stuff on the outside.

yeah, thought of the PGR Vegas circuits as well. Need to look in more detail at what's announced and compare but it could be cool.

lmao I totally called that they'd do the race at 10 pm local time, it's like they want nobody in the eastern half of the U.S. to watch it live at all. Great job.

Low Percent Lunge posted:

First track with a start/finish line that is mid corner. Vegas exclusive.

there's a few American circuits that do (Long Beach and Detroit both come to mind) but nothing at the F1 level that I can think of. Certainly an interesting one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Vegas should look really great, probably best night race since Singapore. Better than any of the featureless middle eastern races.

I really don't understand making it 10pm local time though, that's crazy to me that it will be at 1am for half the country you're holding it in, and supposedly on the night before Thanksgiving? I ain't staying up to 3am to watch that when I have to get a turkey in the oven at 9am the next morning.

There's really no winning if you want to both put it at night and also get the European audience, who are used to having races mid-day and not in the morning like the East Coast of the US.

to which I say, try living on the West Coast of the U.S. where all those European afternoon races are starting at 4 am. Turnabout's fair play and all that.

putting it on the Saturday is the only real good compromise, it'll make the event unique. Might be a case where you have to do P1/P2 on Friday, P3 super early (or not at all?) and qualifying earlier on in the Saturday afternoon Vegas time for the East Coast audience and then the race that same night. Good luck if you wreck or break anything, and good luck figuring out the setup as well (likely have to have P2 be at a race time for it to really give good info).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

I know the moment has passed now, but I got my McLaren Lego yesterday!

Cannot wait to start building it over the weekend.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes. A good way to spend a non-race weekend, OP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

box box wine whine

Franzia? We talking box and wines over here?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

holy smokes :staredog:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Highlights of History: A look at moments from the past for upcoming Grands Prix

I know two things to be true of Formula 1 at the moment:

• A lot of new viewers have started watching the series since 2020 amid the wild popularity of Netflix's reality series Drive to Survive
  • Because of restrictions due to COVID 19, the 2020 and 2021 seasons haven't gone to all of the best, trademark circuits on the F1 calendar

As a way to kill some time before the next race weekend, and as a way to help new fans catch up on moments from the past ahead of these races, I'm trying to find some details and famous moments from these Grands Prix in history. Considering Formula 1 has 70 years of history as a series, there's plenty to mine.

Let me catch up with the first few races of the year. I think we can agree that no more should be said about the Saudi Arabian GP, plus its entire history is about 5 months old, so let me focus quickly instead on a highlight from the Bahrain GP history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTH87phrwEs

2014 Bahrain GP - Hamilton vs. Rosberg

Much like right now, a new type of cars (with the current V6 hybrid turbo engines) had been introduce for 2014, and similar to this year, the hope was racing would be better with them. That didn't prove itself in the first race of 2014, but in the second at Bahrain, we got a good taste of how the racing would get better in 2014...but between two teammates, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, who would then go on to define the first half of that V6 turbo hybrid era.

The other interesting note for Bahrain GP history is the cancellation of the 2011 Bahrain GP due to the Arab Spring protests, and then the potential for a boycott to have stopped the race in 2012 due to how the government responded to the protests. It's still an issue that is brought up sometimes regarding the Bahrain race, and good to remember amidst the Russian GP and Saudi Arabian GP issues of late.

But let's go to someplace with a bit more history - coming next week, the return to the Australian Grand Prix, which has been held since 1996 in Melbourne's Albert Park in the middle of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOyIGToAZc

1996 Australian GP start - Martin Brundle's massive crash

An interesting fact about the Australian GP is that it's traditionally been either the first race of the season (in the Melbourne era) or the final race of the season, in its 1985-1995 form at a street circuit in Adelaide. So that means either the Aussie GP has been the site of lots of surprises and attrition in Melbourne, or some incredibly high drama in Adelaide.

But the first Melbourne race, in 1996, also featured one of the current Formula 1 commentators cartwheeling into the gravel trap at the end of sector 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9AsyDRbNcA

We Wanted to Believe, and it was True

Meanwhile, for my money the biggest surprise in the Melbourne era has been the 2009 Australian GP, when we got Jenson Button winning the first race of the season on the way to taking quite possibly the most shocking World Championship in the modern era. Once again, this was when there was a rules change, but Button was driving for a team that shouldn't have even been on the grid, and when it was on the grid as Honda the preceding years, had been struggling a lot.

Of the Adelaide era, there's two years that really stand out to me: 1986 and 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFtIclOdYg

Both decided championships, but the 1986 race had more permutations, as three drivers came in with a chance to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

1994 meanwhile was Schumacher versus Hill, a landmark moment in F1 history.

Any other moments I missed? Anything else you'd like to see from the history of F1? I'll try to keep these up ahead of races this season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

even more sad than watching formula 1,

is posting in the formula 1 thread when you don't

:hmmyes:

ilmucche posted:

Kimi Raikkonen's tyre going "B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP B-BAP" then his suspension exploding at the 'ring if it's on the calendar.

https://youtu.be/SVO_qMoB7xE

This was in the season where, for some stupid reasons, teams could refuel during pit stops but tires were supposed to last the entire length of the race :psyduck:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I still think it's this new bio fuel. Shell have been with ferrari for donkey's years, Petrous are relatively new, and this is Red Bull's supplier's first year in the sport. We saw during that frucking stupid tokens era what happened when Mercedes had fuel with secret poo poo added to it that customer teams did not, and I would not be surprised in the least if it was shell that managed to nail this one and Red Bull's is making the engine explode.

Petronas have been on cars at least since 1996 or 1997, and involved with Mercedes since 2010, so that’s not nothing. Also I thought Red Bull were still partnered with Mobil?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hamilton won a race in 2009 in a McLaren that started much worse off than where this Mercedes is. And I suspect Mercedes already identified what they need to do to get the car behaving better.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Finished my McLaren thanks to having to go into 7 day iso.

I love it :)

that looks absolutely awesome, but hopefully you're fine after a few days and the isolation isn't too bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

As you can see if we slow down the video Mick is displaying the classic 'fencing' response to the crash and had likely suffered irreversible brain trauma (became British)

Less of this, please.

Pragmatica posted:

:lando: LET'S GO! :foksmash:

(away from whatever weird posting was happening before this...)

Agreed. And that’s a hell of a new emoji :foksmash:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Guenther to sit in for Mick rest of the season and become wdc 2022.

:foksmash: gently caress it, I’ll do it myself

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Since F1TV has all the old seasons of F1, what are some of the best classic races to rewatch? Any era.

I mentioned a little bit ago some classics from Australia if you want to get into the mood for this weekend - 1984, 1994, and 2009 for various reasons are both very important and fairly interesting races.

Otherwise, there’s a lot that can be recommended. Canada 2011 is one that I think would pack a lot of drama.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

In 1997 he nearly was WDC despite driving what was likely the 4th best car.

Behind the Williams, McLaren, and Benetton…? (Just trying to keep that era’s tier list straight)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Yeah. The McLaren that year was actually really good just extremely unreliable.

Yep, Australia wasn’t an outlier it’s just the engines kept going pop, sometimes right in front of the Mercedes brass. Oops.

And looking back it is kind of a shame the Benetton that year had Ferrari’s 1994 lineup, you wonder if more prime-age drivers would have gotten more out of the car, considering it did have the best engine on the grid that year too.

Speaking of classic old races, Hungary 1997 is up there too even if you need context for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

It's Australia's revenge for lovely race times we've copped so far this year, and will for the times for the races in the Americas

This is the first race in the afternoon in Australia/NZ/Japan/east Asia since Suzuka 2019. Everything else has been starting at 9 or 10 pm at night at the earliest. There are never a majority of daytime races for this part of the world, but two-plus full seasons is a bit long.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McLarens and Alonso looking a whole lot better than at Jeddah. There’s hope for our papaya boys yet.

Lance Stroll driver of the day already too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, Latifi. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A meeting of the Canadian lads! Lmao