Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bishyaler posted:

At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

They can do both.

When the dems rightfully get destroyed next year, the insurrectionists will cite it as proof that getting rid of all the voter fraud was the reason and double down on it. When the pendulum swings back the other way in 4 or 6 years to give the democrats another shot at doing nothing and elections get close again or start going blue, it'll be more "voter fraud!" and take america back poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A very significant percentage of the population believes that the direct cash payments are directly responsible for the current inflation problem.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

And poo poo like this is barely registering anymore

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/21/us/mass-shootings-weekend/index.html

At least 8 people were killed and more than 50 hurt in 8 mass shootings across the US this weekend

quote:

Among the incidents was a shooting at a car show in Dumas, Arkansas, that left one person dead and at least 28 injured -- the most people wounded in a mass shooting event in the US in more than two years, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

At least 107 mass shootings have unfolded so far this year in the US, including those on Saturday and Sunday, per the Gun Violence Archive, which like CNN defines a mass shooting as four or more people shot, not including the shooter. More than two-thirds of the country's most populous cities recorded more homicides in 2021 than the previous year, with at least 10 setting all-time homicide records -- with the majority committed with a firearm.

Man, we're just really circling the drain and everyone I know feels it. Mass shootings are below the fold now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Primary Biden with whom? A quick look at the long list of awesome, inspiring and viable candidates starts with:

1. Tumbleweed blowing by
2. Hillary loving Clinton
3. _____________?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Interesting that nobody cares about biological factors that give way more than a 12% advantage in some sports like say being tall

I guess there's some that do and use things like weight classes, but like nobody insists tall people should be banned from basketball to make it fair for short people

Funny you mention that because the NCAA for a while outlawed dunking a basketball because Kareem Abdul Jabaar was too tall. Really not sure if this rule would have been implemented had Kareem been a white guy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, the lack of "access to affordable" treatment was a factor in the spike in alcohol-related deaths, as was the delay of treatment for alcohol-related conditions like liver disease & mental illness.

This would be a good time to use the study as a reason to deschedule cannabis, given other studies that I believe showed a drop in alcohol abuse in states that went legal, or to pass any legislation that allows legal states' dispensaries to operate within the federal banking system instead of continuing to operate as a criminal banking cartel & required to deal with cash.

eta: The NYT story also mentioned relapses from sober people who couldn't attend in-person 12-step meetings as a factor, which makes sense.

There's also the thing where if you need to see a shrink, go to rehab type visits or what have you that a LOT of employers will not work with you and any of these types of interruptions in building cogs for them count against you. I have psychiatrist and pain management doctors that I absolutely have to legally see every legally defined period of time or else I cannot refill my medication. And I can't usually pick and choose what times they have available.

I have a special needs child that I co-parent with my ex. He has ADHD, mild autism and epilepsy. Now, being a responsible parent, this involves meeting with his teachers, doctors and therapists - in addition to tending to his different schedules depending on where we are on the school year calendar. Younger and parentless goons might be surprised how often this poo poo is used against you.

I have worked places that WILL give you the time, but they have some weird "points system" where missing x amount of time or whatever adds to your total and if you accumulate y amount in 6 months or something, it fucks up your review or whatever and can also get you written up. It's some real 5th grade demerit type poo poo. Say an order is due late Friday afternoon, it's Wednesday and they want you to work overtime but you have to pick up your kid that night. They WON'T allow you to come in early on Thursday and stay late then come in Friday early because everyone has to work 8-5 or whatever it is because we are a machine and treat everyone like robots.

Like, I can't stay late tonight but I can be here at 5am tomorrow and work til 6pm. I HAVE to see my doctor Thursday at 9am but I can stay late that night and come in super early the next day. I can come in every other Saturday when I don't have my kid. Companies say "no one wants to work" but don't understand or accommodate the idea that working on yourself is also work. I have had to turn down several jobs simply because I cannot make it work with my parenting schedule and mandatory doctor visits. "Nope. Here, everyone has to work from 7:30 to 4 with a half hour lunch at exact;y 11:30.

If that makes sense.

I've worked places that said you couldn't take a poo poo unless it was break time (assuming you get a work break). This leads to people sacrificing and postponing health treatment - mental or otherwise - because middle management and GM's (who somehow are able to hit the golf course every friday afternoon) have determined that we are all robots, 4th graders and ants. Also, there's no real reason I need to see my psychiatrist for the meds I take except for laws passed that say I do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The general consensus is that it’s roughly 1/5th to 1/3rd of Americans who can’t afford care at all.

These indicators rarely factor inequality to the mix.

For example the U.S. sits around the mid-teens in Human Development Index (HDI). However, it barely scraps the top 30 when inequality is factored in with the IHDI, as the U.S.’s inequality is closer to that of mid-income developing nation than an OCED one. In fact it barely makes the “very high human development list” and wasn’t even on there the year prior. And this report is two years old at this point so the U.S. has undoubtedly sunk even further.

And even if you can "afford it" you can't really in most cases. I mean, the coverage I have now is pretty good for the doctor visits and prescriptions I take but, like most people, god loving help me when it's time to go to the ER, I get diabetes or need chemo. I keep a .45 handy for when that "coverage" kicks in.

E

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just FYI, they can't actually hold it against you in your review or penalize you financially for medical appointments under FMLA. Sometimes, you might have to invoke FMLA yourself if your employer doesn't want to let you know about it.

They don't have to pay you for FMLA time, but they can't mark it against you and if there is any perception that they fired you or penalized you for FMLA-eligible time, then they can have major problems. Ongoing maintenance or recurring treatment for a mental or physical illness (addiction is considered a illness) will always be covered under FMLA.

You just can't exceed 12 weeks in a year. And your employer has to be bound by it, so it doesn't apply to small businesses with only a dozen people. I doubt a factory would ever fall under that, though.

Thanks, I'll look into it. But it sounds like one of those things that "they can't do" that they'll just loving do anyway and, also, if I'm up front about this poo poo in an interview or something it can lead to a hard pass right there because it's just too much trouble and complicates the mold they've built.

All these Sales Managers and GM's I've worked for that tell us to knuckle down and stay late for last minute orders and poo poo are always the first ones out the door on a Friday to hit the links or attending to a personal matter for 3 hours during a sunny afternoon.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So nothing too big here

Just the wife of a supreme court justice going all in on the January 6 insurrection wanting to overthrow our government. As one does

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/24/politics/ginni-thomas-mark-meadows-text-messages/index.html

quote:

The House Select Committee investigating the January 6 riot has in its possession more than two dozen text messages, 29 in total, between former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, a conservative activist and the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, according to multiple sources familiar with the messages.

These text messages, according to sources, took place between early November 2020 and mid-January 2021. Thomas recently revealed that she attended the pro-Trump rally that preceded the US Capitol attack on January 6, 2021, but says she “played no role” in planning the events of that day.

The text messages, reviewed by CNN, show Thomas pleading with Meadows to continue the fight to overturn the election results.

“Help This Great President stand firm, Mark!!! … You are the leader, with him, who is standing for America’s constitutional governance at the precipice. The majority knows Biden and the Left is attempting the greatest Heist of our History,” Thomas wrote on November 10, 2020.

Read the whole thing seriously.

Also, if I remember right, there was a case that came before the court that she was involved in about a decade ago where Thomas should have recused himself but didn't. Might have been the ACA but I honestly don't remember

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Oh right, so a black man who made it to the SUPREME COURT couldn't be making his own decisions, there must still be a white person pulling his strings???

Who came close to even implying anything like this?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cimber posted:

I don't _want_ to support the democrats, because I think a few of their core tenents are wrong.

BUT, if I have to chose between the democrats and voting for the insanity party, I'm going to vote democrat.

Well, that's pretty much everybody at least in my experience. Makes for a lovely bumper sticker though.

I really really think that the dem's messaging and marketing needs a lot of work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

How are u posted:

Oh for sure. Messaging needs a lot of work, marketing needs a lot of work, candidates need a lot of work, leadership needs a lot of work. It's an ugly big-tent party full of a mix of awful people and good people.

Unfortunately it is also the party that believes in democracy as a system of government, here in the year 2022. The other side have fully embraced fascism and single-party single-race rule. If we want a chance to either reform the Democratic party or to build some sort of new social justice - environmental justice based party over the next few decades then we necessarily *must* keep the Republicans out of power throughout the 2020s, at the least.

It sucks, but that's the situation we're in.

Bumper sticker found!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

But...I thought the economy was BOOMING and all that poo poo? I never bought it and never feel it. I have a general sense of the things they use to calculate "the economy" but it never really seems to gel with what I see with my own eyes and the things I hear from the people I speak to. If this is an up and booming economy right now then this country is in worse shape than I thought.

And I thought we were in pretty bad shape. 2008 was a real flashpoint and nothing sunstantial has ever really been done about it.

Unless something meaningful is done about housing prices, income disparity, climate change and medical costs then GDP, the unemployment rate and stock market Indexes will continue to mean jack and poo poo to 95% of us. I have a slight glimmer of hope that something might eventually be done (simply because it will have to be) but not much since the people we keep electing are beholden to the 5% or 10% of people that can actually reap the benefits of a "great economy". Like, God loving help me right now if my lovely car dies

The only reason I'm even a little bit optimistic is that eventually the things I wrote about will start effecting rich people and things will hit critical mass. If no one can actually afford to buy the poo poo that feeds the bank accounts of wealthy people, they might realize that UBI, UHC or even M4A is the only way people can afford to pay the rent on all this real estate they're buying up. I'm astonished at the value of my house right now and get constant offers for it but I keep asking myself who the gently caress has all this money to spend? It's tempting for me to cash in but...where the gently caress will I go?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sharkie posted:

The economy is doing fine. You must be ignorant how great the numbers are. Here, look at the numbers.

As you can see, your concerns are unfounded. Things are good and getting better.

I'm aware of all this and even mentioned that the way "the economy" is doing and how it's measured support the idea that it's on loving fire. I keep hearing that and seeing charts like you posted. I know.

I was saying that nobody I know actually seems to feel this way so it's not just me with "unfounded concerns". Even the people I know who make money don't seem to have any loving money. I can't possibly be alone noticing this and I'm not just being anecdotal about my own personal situation. I don't know a single person that is really experiencing or psyched about all this rear end kicking we're supposedly doing. And if people were - if it was benefiting the majority of the electorate - then, trust me, Biden's approval ratings would not be in the shitter right now. It's palpable and no one feels like their getting ahead in this boom. Quite the opposite: everyone feels squeezed to the bone.

Maybe I hang in the wrong circles.

If this is what "booming" looks like, I don't want to see what a crash or even what "normal" regular old economy might be and I stand by my statements about housing and healthcare expenses.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I know I shouldn't be shocked but seeing people flock to defend Will Smith committing a violent crime during the Oscars then getting a standing ovation an hour later is pretty nuts. His acceptance speech was basically him saying God told him to do it- just completely unhinged poo poo. Our culture is deeply, perhaps terminally sick. A lot of the same people cheering Smith would get the vapors at hitting someone for loudly advocating for genocide.

Lib and let die posted:

I can't think of any reason why someone like Chris Rock would decline to engage with the LAPD. Weird!

I gotta admit that for a while I found myself wondering what the perception would be if, instead of Chris Rock, the slappee was...oh....let's say Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell. Trying to think of a relatively well liked white comedian actor. A part of me thinks the narrative might have been a little different if you know what I'm saying.

E:

Also reading that Manchin stock poo poo and remain baffled why members of congress aren't forced to divest while they're in office. Well, not baffled so much as irritated and mad.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 28, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's a minor form of punching down. Alopecia is not exactly the same as male pattern baldness, and can be quite challenging to a person.

It was a joke in poor taste, but ultimately not worth violence. Words could have handled it.

Agree with this. Loudly heckling Rock and hollering over his presentation would have had about the same effect and was definitely the more mature way to handle it. Does Smith get pretty bent out of shape about the jokes people make about his kid I wonder? Because a lot of those seem way more out of bounds than last night.

Full disclosure: I am a totally bald white male and not in any way rich or famous.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Why doesn't everyone just vote all at once?

Job hours, tending to kids, doctor appointments, transportation problems, long lines and fewer polling stations in lower income neighborhoods. Were you being sarcastic or do you seriously not get why we do VBM, early voting and generally try to make the process easier?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm fine with prosecuting 1/6 and am always surprised to see people here hand waving it and blowing it off as no big deal and a total joke

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Blaming china for why the US is ~~falling behined~~ is so hilarious.

Maybe it's because the profit margin is held over all social duties other than law which stands as a guard to the capitalist?

That and the workers are essentially slaves and nobody has to give a poo poo about safety, pollution or jack poo poo relating to the environment. It's basically the GOP's and every CEO's wet dream for where to take capitalism.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean...she has a chance.

"Hey, Bart, remember Sarah Palin? She's back! In POG GOP form!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sarah Pailin has proven that her and her family are so white trash that I can't help but lol at her running as a "conservative family values" candidate.

I still remember when she had that family brawl in a restaurant a decade or so ago.

DeSantis/Palin 2024?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is the sort of thing I'm speaking to when I discount the measures by which the economy is booming.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

quote:

The economic discontent is reflected in Biden’s standing in public opinion polls.

Roughly 7 in 10 people in the United States describe the economy as being in poor shape, while nearly two-thirds disapprove of Biden’s economic leadership, according to a March poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

Administration officials and Biden allies happily point to the job creation data as a sign of accomplishment but they are also perturbed by the lingering economic malaise that threatens him with a historically inhospitable environment for a president’s party in a midterm year.

Most people simply don't feel it and I think it's a mistake to disregard that and just point to traditional measurements about why they're all mistaken. Earnings may be up, unemployment may be low and the stock market GDP blah blah blah but none of that means poo poo when 70% of the country is not experiencing or benefiting from it. "The Economy" may, in fact, be kicking rear end and several people have posted some neat chars and graphs but it's not reaching the wallets and savings accounts of a large majority of people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The traditional measurements aren't bullshit. Unemployment has dropped, and wages are up.

It's just that prices are up even more, with particularly high price growth among inelastic goods like food, fuel, and rent.

Nominal wage growth is actually pretty good, and Biden boosters are happy to point to it as evidence of how great the Biden economy is going. But if price growth is higher, then people's purchasing power has dropped and real wages are down, and that's something you won't hear from the people talking about how great the economy is.

We haven't seen inflation this bad since the Reagan Recession. Wages going up by 5-6% isn't gonna leave people thrilled when price increases of major goods/bills look like this:

(https://www.realtor.com/research/august-2021-rent/)

(https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts)

Thanks for this. I was responding to some push back I got a few pages back when I was trying to describe how it seems to me and most people I know that this economy is not "booming" or on fire like I've been told. I feel like if this is what an economic boom looks like then we're in worse shape than I suspect. Ways of measuring "the economy" increasingly fail to have little impact or significant meaning to a fair majority of us and this feeling is absolutely palpable for just everybody I know.

Cutting your budget is doable to an extent and wages might be up but, like you said, any gains are immediately offset by having to spend more money UP the economic ladder so none of it seems to work. And a shockingly high amount of us are having to decide between meaningful health care and the effect it would have on our budgets. A larger and larger percentage of us are frozen out of the housing market. God help you if you need a new vehicle right now, even an older used one.

We're not getting ahead in this "roaring economy" is what I'm saying and people shoving all the GDP/UE/wage growth charts in front of my face that they can find doesn't change what most of us can see with our own eyes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Several of the cheap grocery stores around here have closed. So have the kid's consignment shops, the local flea market and a few thrift shops. You'd think it'd be the other way around. :shrug:

Meanwhile, construction of hotels and new buildings for strip malls are going up everywhere and it's always some franchise. Which is weird since you'd think that the franchises would just rent out the vacant real estate instead of building new places. And you'd think that Dollar Stores and poo poo would be booming right now?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Wait, I thought you were on the northwest side of the Everglades why are you describing my neighborhood just north of Miami?

NE Florida. Saint Augustine

Which is rapidly turning into Daytona. It sucks. The conservatives and rednecks here used to be of the Jimmy Buffet variety who liked to fish; Aquanecks. Now they're more the Hank Williams/Toby Keith types who love slapping a giant flag on everything while seeing how big and loud they can make their trucks.

They're massively overdeveloping here and it's really pissing of the locals. Funny thing, when you start building 4 story hotels all over the place but don't address the roads or the infrastructure, somehow magically traffic seems to double! There's a ton of vacant retail property here but I see new buildings going up everywhere and it's usually the same sort of tenants that move in. Cheesy beach stores, pizza places, lovely Chinese food and stuff like that. There are also supposed to be height restrictions for new building projects but somehow they're getting around it (bribery)

I really enjoyed the flea market (sold land to build a hospital), the thrift stores (cause I'm broke) and the consignment shops (because I could unload my kid's old toys and clothes easily and also buy him "new" ones). I'm just still surprised to see the Dollar stores closing since so many people I know are shopping there a LOT. People trying to stretch their dollars now more than ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Are they aware of how strong our economy is?

That's what I keep hearing, even from a lot of people in this thread. Who are we to believe? The charts and graphs or our drat lying eyes that look at our bank accounts? Let's cede for a second that by all traditional measures "the economy" is on loving fire. What does any of that mean or amount to when the only thing burning for 3/4 of the population is their loving money?

When people are noticeably going broke and losing economic ground every month, what the gently caress good does it do to point to a bunch of numbers telling them that "well, no, actually you're doing loving fantastic!" and that our dumb minds just can't see it. Maybe they're right. Maybe this nebulous idea of what we call the economy has never been better. If that's the case, we are in deep DEEP poo poo as a nation.

Lib and let die posted:

This is the most important email we've ever sent you

"Please send us some money"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 4, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

There's charts and graphs for the actual economic issues people are facing right now too, y'know.

The reason politicians keep saying the economy is good is because, as politicians in power during an election year, they're emphasizing the numbers that look good and avoiding the numbers that look bad.

Instead of dismissively assuming the data is lying, try getting takes from sources who don't have a clear stake in the interpretation of the data.

I wasn't trying to imply that the charts, graphs and info were lying so much as meaningless to most people. It's like your team getting its rear end kicked 21-3 at halftime and the coach says you're actually winning because you gained a few more yards than than the other team. Or losing a baseball 6-1 but celebrating because you got more hits.

Stumbled upon this today where asitting US congress member credits Trump with finding and killing Bin Laden

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/03/opinions/lisa-mcclain-trump-bin-laden-obeidallah/index.html

quote:

GOP Rep. Lisa McClain of Michigan was apparently so desperate to suck up to Donald Trump at his rally this weekend in her state that she falsely boasted to the crowd of adoring Trump fans that the former President had “caught Osama bin Laden.” In reality, bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011, when President Barack Obama was in the White House and Trump was hosting the season of “The Celebrity Apprentice” featuring Gary Busey and Meat Loaf.

Maybe next McClain will claim that Trump is responsible for curing polio.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Florida legislature let Ron DeSantis personally do the redistricting for Florida, so they haven't had an official map for months despite the primaries coming up pretty soon.

He just released his map.

NPR did a local segment on this yesterday and reminded me that the party in power gets to draw their own district maps, which is completely nuts. That's like the home team appointing their own umpire to call balls and strikes. I don't know what sort of independent third party you could get and, honestly, I expected DeSantis' map to have a lot more really bizarre shapes. I was listening to the show though and wondered why they simply can't just define districts by county until I realized there are 67 counties in the state.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it's pretty insane how corrupt Florida is, and how terrible people seem to flock to it politically.

It's getting worse too. It's always kind of sucked where I live but was borderline tolerable. Lately though it's becoming more and more red, aggressive and mean spirited.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus, I keep thinking about the midterms and this is going to be an absolute (and well deserved) bloodbath. Like scorched earth retribution. I wonder what kind of odds I can get on Trump winning in 2024 because right now that's the most realistic and believable scenario I can picture and I'm hosed if I can think of any reason at all why that won't happen.

Also

Amazon adds 5% ‘fuel and inflation surcharge’ to seller fees

https://apnews.com/article/business-inflation-prices-4ae9ab8b6dd28652672f3e2615149de0

quote:

“In 2022, we expected a return to normalcy as COVID-19 restrictions around the world eased, but fuel and inflation have presented further challenges,” the company said in the notice.

Because, yeah, poor Bezos and company really took a loving hit there during the pandemic that they need to make up for. loving hell. Amazon benefited from the pandemic probably more than anyone I can think of; for obvious reasons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Meatball posted:

If the Republicans win the midterms, whoever the candidate will win 100%. They're going to vote to certify the Republican in the presidental count, like they tried to in 2020.

Dems will sue, 6-3 Supreme court decision says the house can overrule the voters and the electoral college, and now you need to hold the house to win the presidency.

IF??? This is going to loving massacre and it won't be close. People are loving PISSED and those that lack the energy or time to be angry are basically just loving sad and feel hopeless. There is ZERO enthusiasm for the democratic party anywhere I aim my eyes or ears.

And that second part: I don't believe they'll have to get to that. I think the GOP nominee is going to win outright whoever it is. And I 95% think it will be Trump. The other 5% is DeSantis. Could be my perception of things is tainted by where I live and how poo poo is going but it's not like national polling numbers are painting a much rosier picture anywhere else so...? Biden's cratering numbers - with minorities and young voters in particular - are historically bad and, if I'm being honest, deservedly so. Those people are feeling had and ripped off yet again and they're not wrong.

Pissing off your base is bad.

I didn't want Biden AT ALL for 2020, for 100 reasons that seem patently obvious right now, but still voted for him and there was never any question about it. I had low expectations for him for several reasons and somehow he's managed to underachieve the lowest bar I thought was possible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

What is your plan? Invade Texas? You can't solve this.

There's a lot of things you really can't "solve" since the GOP is increasingly more and more willing to just blatantly ignore the law while the democrats and their supporters repeatedly cry about how "you can't do that!" It's like kids arguing poo poo in a touch football game where the bully always gets to decide if he got two hand touched or was out of bounds and poo poo.

They did a really good job packing the courts when they had the chance so now they just blatantly flaunt the law/decorum and dare someone to do anything about it, knowing that 9 times out of then, the courts will rule in their favor. I kind of sort of understand the dems adhering to traditional decorum standards and playing inside the rules with the "we're better than that" message but I wish they'd wake the gently caress up and get down in the muck a little more often and do some pig wrestling.

Letting Obama's SCOTUS pick languish for 9 months or whatever it was alone should have been enough to open their eyes. To say nothing of 1/6. Someone pointed out that at least the GOP listens to and caters to their base, as abhorrent as it is, and deliver on the hateful promises they make. The dems tell their base to be patient and reasonable and that THIS election is the most important one of our lifetimes every 2 loving years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A South Carolina prisoner has chosen the firing squad as a method of execution.

Barbaric poo poo.

I've mentioned it before but as long as we do have the death penalty (we should not), I keep hearing we have a huge fentanyl problem and it's incredibly lethal so god drat just drag some of that out of the evidence lockers, use that and be done with it. From everything I've read, people who OD on it go out peacefully and in a state of bliss.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

And since we're talking about the dug in GOP base, there's also been a ton of really obvious criminal, seditious and conspiratorial evidence coming out every day about 1/6 but, in the spirit of my last post about how the GOP simply doesn't care and can ignore pretty much everything, the conservatives I know could care loving less about it.

It went from yay, stop the steal, USA, USA to it was Antifa and a false flag to it was no big deal and they were invited in and back around to where it was legit and the election really WAS stolen. Any explanation at all will work for the base. So now actual elected members of that party are passing tighter voting restrictions and are going to nominate the dear leader who pushed it all along and are openly running on Qanon poo poo.

If 1/6 had been a 2nd million man march or some sort of BLM rise up, there'd still be blood stains on the Capitol steps and 90% of the US would still be having a collective freak out. It'd be the lead story on CNN as well as FOX. And they're going to do it again if Trump loses in two years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've lived in some far left leaning/blue/democratic/whatever you wanna call it states and cities along with some pretty red/conservative/right places and I think that, overall, the United States right now is at best a center right country and it's getting more and more right wing all the time in ways that I don't think can be stopped.

You can give me lists of left wing policies that poll well when they're worded the correct way but I still think that by and large, right now, most Americans are relatively conservative minded and mostly view that as the way forward. A lot of them may not it want it manifested or writ large in the form of someone like Donald Trump but the electorate is more than primed for the second coming of something along the lines of a Reagan like figure that can make this poo poo polished and palatable again. A "reasonable" Republican with the same horrible ideas the party always holds could win in a landslide.

I think Mitt Romney could win if it weren't for the extreme base of the GOP, but for someone LIKE him with more charisma and polish the brass ring is right there.

This is bolstered by the roughly 1/3 of the country that is absolutely 100% dug in, mean, armed, angry, crazy and totally behind the GOP no matter what they do. I don't think the democratic base is anywhere close to that level of solidified or passionate, especially given what they've gotten and achieved under Obama/Biden. We've been repeatedly shown that, if anything, it's fracturing and receding since Democrats just keep telling them over and over to be patient and reasonable. If history does in fact repeat itself, then I'd say we're in 1978 again languishing under Jimmy Carter. And I rather liked Carter.

I think that spending too much time on SA and this thread sometimes clouds what the majority of the population thinks is reasonable or rational.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Personally I feel like arguing over the theoretical political philosophies of Americans as broad groups and implicitly assuming that these collective philosophies are a driver of change is mainly just a way to reify the questionable idea that the US has a responsive democracy

To me it seems like, to the extent that coherent collective ideologies can be observed, they are primarily trailing indicators of the exercise of power rather than leading indicators

That's a good point, actually, and well put but it doesn't change the fact that America is increasingly right leaning in ways that I'm personally finding it harder and harder to ignore. In fact, it explains it and far more succinctly than I did.

I think for a hot minute there, the US was prepared to move pretty far leftward, starting with the election of Barrack Obama and later with OWS and BLM, culminating in the huge voter turnout to gently caress Donald Trump off to his gold plated cave. But it's always so disorganized, meandering and sort of...I dunno...split up I guess by the neo-liberal traditional old guard that controls the DNC and leads to candidates like Joe loving Biden who has proven himself to be the last loving thing we needed just as we were being told by many that he was the perfect way to get back to normal.

Thing is, normal sucked. And still sucks.

BLM and OWS seemed like pivotal moments for a bit, at least to me. Same with Bernie Sanders and some of the noise he made but, like you said, the power controls the message.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

One wonders what would happen if the Florida DOE announces that no textbooks satisfy these standards and the school year is canceled

The cynic in me immediately starts to wonder if DeSantis doesn't just have a friend or a donor that prints math books.

I'm having a hard time picturing what a controversial race themed MATH textbook might look like since, aside from word problems, they're pretty dry and mostly procedural. Unless they want the word problems to be written like:

Johnny has a wife, three children under five years of age, two bibles, 4 guns, 3 boxes of ammo each containing 50 bullets in his home plus 8 security cameras and one American flag in his driveway. The question is: How many bullets will Johnny need in order to kill four home invaders when they come to rob him and kill his family?

or

The Jones household has six residents in 2022 at the following ages: Dad (age 44), Mom (age 40), Son #1(age 17), Son #2 (age 14), Daughter (age 15) and Grandma (age 80). An election takes place in 2024 and one must be 18 years old to vote. The question is: how many fraudulent ballots would each person have to cast in order to steal the election?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Oracle posted:

He'll just bald-faced deny it if he's learned anything from Trump and they'll believe him.

He'll just call it fake new and 90% of republicans won't even learn about it because FOX, their FB friends and talk radio won't even mention it. If they do, it will be in the context of "look at this smear job hit piece on a Trump supporting patriot"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Bob, a small business owner, owns two factories which each generated $60,000,000 in revenue last year. Each factory employs 1,000 workers at $11 per hour. If Bob's executive salary is $400,000 per year, and the Malibu beach house he wants to buy costs $5,500,000, how much of Bob's capital expenditures must he write off to reduce his taxable income to zero?

Sally has 2 children who wear diapers, ages 1 and 2, and works 10 hour shifts at Amazon for $12 an hour with a half hour lunch and no breaks. Sally wears 2 of the diapers per day at work since she gets no bathroom breaks and her children average 4.5 diapers a day. Question: If a box of 88 diapers cost $55.00 and, how much money would Jeff Bezos lose if he allowed Sally to use the bathroom for 10 minutes a day and how much money is Sally saving the company? Extra Credit: What percentage of an Amazon CEO's $350,000/year salary would Sally be costing the CEO?

We could make a thread with these.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

This post is basically Critical Race Theory

Trap sprung

This Is the Zodiac posted:

The town of Freepville increased its fire department's budget by $1,000,000 for 2020. In 2020 there were 6 fires which caused a total of $400,000 in damage. For 2021, the fire department's budget stayed the same. In 2021 there were 3 fires which caused a total of $100,000 in damage. The fire department has asked for another $1,000,000 budget increase, which would cause a $0.02 increase in property taxes. How much tax money could the town of Freepville save by eliminating its fire department?

Bullshit. It's a trick question. Were any of the fires in black neighborhoods? Did they rent or were they homeowners? I can't calculate unbiased math until I am certain it's not breaking the law here.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 19, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if Dr Oz starts to rail against the insidious influence of Gulenists just to complete the weird Turkish politics vibe

I always find it odd that most conservatives are always telling celebrities to shut the gently caress up about politics and poo poo but it seems like 90% of the ones that run for and are elected to office are Republicans. They elected a reality TV star president. I can't think of too many democrats that made their bones in the entertainment industry. Al Franken I guess. But the GOP is rife with them.

"Hell yeah, that guy was on the Tee Vee!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Since 1967, the complex (region, really) consisting of Disney World and its supporting facilities has functioned as a Disney-governed enclave within Florida. But now Ron DeSantis is so incensed that Disney has made a few belated, halfhearted statements against the Don't Say Gay Act that he's trying to undo that.

It sucks to even consider siding with DeSantis, but on the other hand "disney-governed enclave" is probably not something that should have existed in the first place. On the third hand, Florida wouldn't dare to hurt one of the top tourist destinations in the world and all the money it brings in, right?

Right? It's like Suaron fighting with Saruman.