Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

The obvious political reality in front of us all as the Republican Party suppresses the vote in states they control and preparing to overturn the political will of their constituents at state level as needed.

The thing Democrats have repeatedly warned us about.

>listening to democrats

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Doesn't everything here just boil down to nobody agreeing on what counts as "trying".

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
The penis joke really doesn't seem to be in the same category as the other stuff. Usually most people don't know the size of someone's penis, making discrimination difficult.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Rigel posted:

Are you expressing the ignorant, uninformed id of regular voters who are too busy to know how things work, and how that is going to be a problem for future elections (which is fine), or is this a serious criticism?

I think the facts of the situation are a lot more important than whether individual posters have "those useless shiftless losers" or "aw shucks they did try but the votes just weren't there" feelings about the Democratic party.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Crain posted:

At this point all that's going to be left is localized direct action.

That's fine, but this subject would be more on topic in the appropriate Your City Sucks thread.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Xombie posted:

"Authoritarianism" isn't a word meaning "government policies I don't like", or even "government that I don't think is fair".

I get your point, but it's also not a binary state or a switch that gets suddenly flipped. I hate to tell you, we're not going to stop authoritarianism by nuancing it to death. Acting like authoritarianism is always right around the corner is probably wiser than you think.

What we really need are mutual aid networks based around getting people out of red states. We are going to get a lot more people killed if we keep treating "save the entire United States" as the only possible goal.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 21, 2022

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Uh then are we just going to keep talking past each other while operating on different definitions? Or just stop talking about authoritarianism in the US in this thread?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Is it liberalism specifically that folds to fascism? Or just non-militarism in general....

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Koos Group posted:

And bear in mind that something doesn't need to be authoritarian to be a bad action taken by the government.

I think it's useful to add also that an action can be pushing a country in an authoritarian direction without having fully pushed it there yet.

I'd say one of the most significant material differences between our current situation and 'full authoritarianism' is that in the latter, dissent is both monitored and punished much more consistently. You can say that the definitional line is drawn in a way to make western nations look good, but you can't argue that no line can be drawn at all between the current states of the US and Russia, without getting into heavy conspiracy theorying, source cherry picking, and/or "conceptually zoom out so far that everything is the same as everything else" activity.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2022

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"the one thing keeping us from being an authoritarian state is that the government doesn't consistently murder people for dissent" isn't a very persuasive position for anyone trying to say the US isn't authoritarian.

The state does routinely murder marginalized groups (minorities, people with mental health issues, people with addictions, the homeless, etc.) and also murders poor / lower class whites frequently. Hundreds / thousands per year. When these murders occur, those responsible almost never see charges and even fewer are convicted, leaving the only form of redress being cash payouts that come from the very citizens being subjected to this violence.

If a cop shot me for no reason in front of my kids, and there was no video proof of my innocence, it wouldn't make the national news.

By this metric any country with over a certain number of millions in population and/or square mileage is automatically authoritarian. Which, yknow, maybe it is. I feel like people constantly underestimate the role of the totally unreasonable size of the US/Russia/China in how impossible it is to 'fix' things in these 'nations'.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Democrats need more of this bullshit if they want to win things. Embrace the bullshit.

https://twitter.com/FrankMikeDavis1/status/1528888329600741379

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

I'm not going to sugar coat the odds or say you can fight a tank or jet with a rifle. I'm only saying the likelihood of a civil war in this wretched country doesn't seem to be diminishing and a rifle is better than empty hands. If one starts, not everyone is going to have the option of fleeing, as we're seeing with Ukraine.

This is kind of a philosophy problem, isn't it? Is it better to shoot a gun at the stormtroopers and then die, than to just die without getting to shoot? Maybe the former is less depressing to imagine for some people, but the result is the same, you won't care that you got to shoot the gun, after you're dead.

Anyway aside from all this, instead of fantasies about melting down All the Guns, for the moment I'm more interested it stopping new sales of AR15s and similar weapons, because apparently that is very relevant to stopping this kind of carnage!

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I still never understood why guns are ok for the American public to own but not rocket launchers, weaponized drones, nukes, etc.

What is the fundamental difference?

At least those that insist on supporting the 2nd amendment should be consistent.

People will defend private ownership of rocket launchers more often than you think, but in general I think people are more concerned with arms they can actually afford.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
It looks like in a number of cases the right is going down a path of legally empowering fascist vigilantes to hurt people in ways they haven't managed to do yet through direct legislation, so, yknow, that might be worth factoring into the conversation.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, why not attack the situation from the right then? Calls for gun control clearly have fallen on deaf ears. Have the NRA and GPO twist themselves in knots on why one should own a gun but not a drone. Rights are rights and freedom is freedom after all.

Attacking things from a logical view one does not share with you is silly. Follow their logic to the proper conclusion.

Right wing politicians in office are already being attacked from the right by primary challengers. Anyway I'm confused on what you'd intend to accomplish by doing this. People got mad when Trump signed the bump stock ban, but generally they fell back in line soon enough.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Is there a state in the Union that could be split in half, with both halves remaining solid (relatively speaking) blue, without making weird fractal state borders?

Don't rule out chopping the biggest cities in half, if needed.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-children-testify-oath-real-estate-investigation/story?id=85267731

No, I'm not hoping for anything to come of it, but just getting the guy on the stand seems like a feat at this point.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 9, 2022

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

Its unfortunate that the prevailing message among the party and the base has become "we must uphold our institutions even as they're subverted by fascists". How do we get these people to heed the warnings of political analysts who have been sounding the alarm about compromised voting rights and the permanent GOP majority? We're watching America get gift wrapped in moral high-ground and handed to Republicans.

I mean, he's right, in that progressives with some connection to reality know that "just shoot the people we hate" is a perfectly valid option for the fascists and not a viable option for anyone on the left.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

Border agents just got a waiver to constitutional rights.

https://twitter.com/cristianafarias/status/1534539839529525251?s=20&t=Ss5bJiUjCiqh_8Q_IMf2Mg

Why is it valid for fascists but not for people being subjugated by fascists?

By 'viable' I mean, you stand a reasonable chance of survival if you do it.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I know. My son and his mother have epilepsy too so I know about Keppra.

It can still be meaningful and important without directly affecting your medical bills.

I'm not trans or gay but the poo poo that's happening to people who are matters to me anyway. I'm not black but the concerns of BLM effect me. I'm not a migrant worker or locked up in a cage in Texas so that doesn't directly effect me. I'm not a homeless vet suffering from PTSD and don't know anyone who it is but it matters...so forth and so on.

If the next fascist coup succeeds, I can promise you it will impact your access to epilepsy medicine.

That could also happen just due to... republicans winning 'legitimately' (i.e. without overturning election results and just relying on voter suppression and the electoral college system). So Dems need to be educating people about poo poo like this.

Lib and let die posted:

I mean, we're not going to see eye-to-eye on this because you're in the camp of "holy poo poo this was a serious threat" while I'm in the camp of "are you loving kidding me a dude tased himself in the balls to death and another one had the gall to put their feet on Nancy's desk, I wish the worst day of my life were that traumatic" which I don't say to demean, but just point out that we're working out of two very different worldviews - I'm considerably more convinced that rather than seize power, the fascists are simply going to be given power out of a desire for the liberal democrats to not appear too far left (sound like a familiar precedent?).

Even accepting the premise that it wasn't a serious threat, I'd be 100% willing to act like it was anyway if it could help stop Republicans from taking power. In my opinion, the only salient question is whether it can help, or if it's actually just directing energy away from other strategies that could.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 9, 2022

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Like it or not, there is an overwhelming majority of eligible voters that are disenfranchised from both the democrats' party and/or electoralism in general that are in essence, the "not republican" version of the right-wing "I won't vote for anyone, of any party, that is pro-choice" voter and where the republicans lean into and leverage those kinds of voters and their energy, the democrats - even the "rowdiest", youngest idealists in the party tell you that actually you need to be more realistic and vote to compromise and put your single issues aside.

No animosity at all! I just think it's important that I try and communicate why I might disagree with a particular perspective.

Are pro-choice republican elected officials really a thing? I'm not up on all the state politics around the country to know about that. Generally though, it seems like republican politicians have little need to tell their base to vote red no matter who, because they're a far more cohesive bloc to begin with, and they already care a lot more about keeping the 'enemy' party out of office. There's a mutual trust that R voters will hold their nose and vote for a namby-pamby election-truth-denying RINO in a general election, and that said RINOs will still support plenty of cruelty towards the groups that are causing the decay of society or whatever.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Bishyaler posted:

Most people who say this don't really believe it. They just believe they aren't good here, usually for American exceptionalism/It-Can't-Happen-Here related reasons.

Seems to me to be either a 'win more' move or a 'shoot yourself in the foot when you're already behind' move. Kavanaugh's camp isn't behind.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

And, ironically, I think that Dems would be more persuasive by saying so rather than pretending 1/6 was on par with 9/11.

I don't quite get how you would..phrase this.. without it coming across as literally saying "we know we're full-of-poo poo liars but please trust us that the other guys are worse". Which, if it somehow worked, would only prove that Dems were never in danger to begin with. Idk, maybe that's your point.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

They'd have to be very determined liars to make it past the interview stage or psych profile let alone fabricating the "background check" aka "did they play high school football?"

I'm not sure this idea is really a winner, but any path to actually surviving this poo poo is going to require a lot of determination.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Could we all just avoid a lot of back and forth in this thread by all agreeing to never describe any currently serving politicians or their actions with an unqualified positive connotation, replacing such words with terms more along the lines of "less bad"?

I'm not being snarky, US politics is a filter sorta like US law enforcement, and truly principled people are consistently kept out of it, and we need to all keep that in mind.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Biden is the practical definition and mold for a centrist/moderate. I don't know what planet I'm living on where Joe loving Biden is seen as a far left radical but that's the framing and a lot of people believe it. I wish the dems would run an actual far left candidate (or candidates) since I've been hearing for 20 years now that people like Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama and Joe Biden are "the most liberal candidate ever on every issue". Then why were the candidates I supported (who lost) much further to the left of them?

They weren't. Biden is entirely marching to Sanders' and especially AOC's orders (because following a non-white woman is more woke, Bernie doesn't check enough boxes for a good hate target). That's the GOP narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

The point of the article is obviously that the founding fathers are all skeletons, and the writings of skeletons are not a viable foundation for a country's laws. Seriously, how much do we have to spoonfeed people itt when the headlines are already perfectly clear?