Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drunkill posted:

nerds are getting very angry

A sadly evergreen quote. For someone who hasn’t watched it and probably never will watch it, how exactly is the show “woke”? Are chuds mad that they put clothes on Cortana or something?

I haven’t been able to muster the energy to care about Halo since I beat Reach like a decade ago. They should have just stopped there. Bungie sure as hell did :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Noble Team but Jorge is just Jorge with zero changes to him at all.

Just play Halo: Reach 100% straight only Chief is Noble Six and instead of going "I'm going to stay behind for contrived reasons", he gets his rear end on that Pelican with Keyes and Cortana at the end of the story and flies away from Reach as the sole survivor to go do Halo poo poo yes I know Jun still exists, don't @ me

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 23, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I wish there were more channels doing breakdowns of the episodes like Halo Canon. The guy is pretty even handed and informative since he's a walking Halo encyclopedia. Too bad most of the discourse around the show on youtube is turning from memes like Master Cheeks into an increasingly hostile minefield of bad faith and moronic sigma male grindset nonsense.

Deep dive Halo Lore is just the absolute worst, up there with the Star Wars expanded universe in terms of brain muck. The people who take Halo Lore seriously enough to be even handed and informative about it are just as bad. At least the culture warriors weirdos who are like "Halo's woke now because I saw Master Chief's rear end and [buzzword vomit] The Last Jedi!" or whatever are hilarious to make fun of because they don't understand anything.

People who do understand what's going on with Halo are just sad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Quick synopsis is Spartan I’s don’t exist. Spartan II’s were the kids taken against their will to endure the trials of becoming a Spartan and tested on and general just crimes against humanity as seen with John. Spartan III’s were orphans who I think some were given a choice while others were conscripted during the early years of the covenant discovery. Spartan IV’s would be equivalent to joining the military and being picked to go to the SEAL program.

Here’s something I found but didn’t read if you wanna read into it. I may be wrong cus I’m going off memory.

Spartan I’s exist but they’re just normal soldiers with rudimentary physical enhancements. Sgt. Johnson, for example is a Spartan I. It was a proof of concept program done by Halsey to convince the UNSC and ONI to let her start the Spartan II program.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I meant more along the lines of, “What? No! Spartan I’s totally don’t exist. :ssh:

Ah, gotcha.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This kind of wirework seems like (when it all goes perfectly and is completely safe) it's incredibly fun to do as a stunt actor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Correct. They are the ‘godly’ Spartans. All of them chosen because of their genetic compatibility with the planned augmentations and indoctrinated from the age of six. The are the smartest, fastest, strongest and the most tall. Their like will never be seen again.

Spartan IIIs are created using a highly refined augmentation protocol that is less invasive and mostly injections. It also has a near 100% success rate, unlike the Spartan II protocol which had a massive attrition rate. As mentioned, they are also neurological altered for aggression and sociopathy. They are all war orphans and taken right off of the ships meant to take them from the war zone to a orphanage. They may ‘volunteer’, but none of them were going to leave that planet alive unless it was as a super soldier. They were just fire and forget weapons meant for suicide weapons. They didn’t even get power armor.

The Spartan IVs are actual adult volunteers pulled from UNSC forces. Since they are post puberty, the augmentation process is technically more invasive since all their organs get scooped out and replaced with genetically engineered clone organs. Even their gut bacteria is optimized. They have to relearn how to walk, but the process is 100% effective. Arguably, the IVs are made just strong enough to safely utilize the Mjolnir armor. I forgot to mention that Mjolnir armor with pulverize anybody without ceramic laced bones.

Every new thing I learn about Spartans in Halo is like that Red Letter Media video where Mike and Rich read Darth Vader's Wookiepiedia page and just end up pissing themselves laughing in terms of "This awesome iconic stoic badass you enjoy seeing actually lives a life of unending physical and mental hell. You should wish for their death. It would be a mercy for them."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

My biggest complaint about the show is it needs to get loving moving. Expensive streaming shows only get a few seasons and at this rate we wouldn't even get past the first game before it gets cancelled, probably on a cliffhanger.

It's hilarious when people talk about plot elements from the last few games and how they're going to handle them. I think we can safely disregard that lol.

I have not watched the show at all, but I'm going to predict that the second season ends with a shot of the Autumn arriving at Halo, and then the show gets cancelled because Paramount is literally months away from death itself now. lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Where's the mod that puts the Master Chief's rear end in the games?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haloss

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

It'll be hilarious if the show is canceled after this season with the final post credits stinger being them arriving at the Ring.

That is 1000% what's exactly gonna happen. Final shot of the show is of Halo itself with the Autumn drifting towards it, voiceover from Keyes saying "Cortana, what exactly am I looking at?" cut to black with the "Aaaaaaah ah ah ah aaaah aaaaaaaaaah" in the background, show cancelled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

video game Chief was initially envisioned as the faceless cypher for the player so yeah

this season is more interesting and less WTF but we're only on episode 3. Lol that they humanized Ackerson

Yeah, of the three lines Chief is most famous for from the games, only one of them is longer that five words.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I would like to know more tbh, because I never really heard what the deal was and the thread's not moving too fast.

https://venturebeat.com/games/halo-musician-marty-odonnell-is-running-for-congress-in-nevada/

Running for congress as a Republican in Nevada.

quote:

I asked him if he supports Trump. He said yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

That journalist went soft as gently caress on him. You can still gleam how much of a piece of poo poo he is even though the reporter doesn't push for any kind of details.

Yeah, I remember hearing rumblings about what a turd he was during the great Your Favourite Video Game Composers Are Monsters wave of a couple years ago that outed Jeremy Soule and Tommy Tallarico, but it was nothing more than a vague "oh, he's just a loving rear end in a top hat, at least he didn't rape anyone like Soule did"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Is everyone angry about this show because Master Chief isn't a virgin in a spacesuit?

Fans are truly the worst people

They're also angry that a lot of the other non-Chief characters are black people and women :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I can't imagine how a Gordon Freeman depiction in some Half-Life adaptation would go over.

Freeman's Mind solved that problem already though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

The company's in turmoil, it makes sense.

Yeah, if they're not committing to renewing/out right cancelling/shopping around Star Trek shows, the IP that the streaming service was literally built around, Paramount is up poo poo creek and the water is coming in fast. An also-ran (TV) IP like Halo doesn't have a hope if the Trek showrunners are all going "please watch our shows over and over again on repeat so the accounting floor doesn't cancel us because we didn't meet a pivot table quota :pray:".

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 14, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

That's an interesting observation. Oh, god, what if they Cmdr. Pike-ed her?

Gave her a loving amazing hair cut and cast an insanely charismatic actor to play in a spin off where she steals the entire franchise with how cool she is?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Only 52 years after Waterworld.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whoever produced this show was dead set on making a Mass Effect show wether they ended with the license or not.

Which is hilarious because I think Amazon owns the rights to and has been kicking around doing a Mass Effect show for a while themselves now. I think even Henry Cavill was attached to it at one point between the him leaving The Witcher to go play Superman again and the DCEU going "lol, no" and dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I like the banshee bc you fly around all while the wind kisses your toes

The Banshee is "what if we made the really dangerous head-first boogeyboard slide from every shady water park ever into a plane?"