Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea that sucks, but even with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks, you are just SoL. With an ARM, if the value tanks AND inflation drops, then maybe you won't be paying as much in interest.

How are you poo poo outta luck with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks? You live in the place and that alone has inherent value.

Back when poo poo fell apart in 2008, the smart money shows were telling people who were underwater on their mortgages to just leave their keys and abandon their homes, because "it made no sense to pay more for something than it's worth." By 2011-2012, those homes had mostly regained their value and then some, and the people / organizations that came out ahead were the ones who bought those abandoned homes out of foreclosure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Phoenix also has the whole 'no water' thing staring it in the face

There are houses in coastal Washington that are for sale while they're actively falling into the sea

Apr 7, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

A friend sent this

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defau...-05-12-2022.pdf

I thought it was pretty interesting. Institutional buyers made up 13% of sales last year which is less than I would have expected. Also, my local state of Vermont has that number at a whopping 0%, meaning the people yelling about institutional buyers on local reddit are wrong and really the pincers loving us locally are bad supply combined with an influx of affluent individuals from CT/NYC/etc who can just come make cash offers at 150% market on whatever they want to buy as a COVID-escape-zone.

Granted, there's still not much here to feel good about except "things aren't that bad, yet". Tell that to unhomed people.

13% is insanely high in a market where housing availability is already kept below demand to enrich rent seekers.

Apr 7, 2003

Rates were over 8% as recently as 2001

Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

houses did not cost at minimum 500k in 2001

Low rates are one of the reasons they do now though

Apr 7, 2003

I bought for $120k in 2015 with ~$80k left on the principal and I keep getting emails for cash-out refi at against an estimated $218k.

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

if you click on the homes nothing happens lol

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

So individuals are getting priced out of the market with high rates, leaving institutional investors to gobble up the surplus. Lovely.

Institutional investors were going to do this whether rates were high or not

A buyer who needs a mortgage and thus contingencies was never going to be a competitive buyer compared to cash offers with all contingencies waived.

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

How the gently caress is that still happening with the market the way it is rn

Will these vultures never cease

I get six+ texts like this every week

Apr 7, 2003

I just send back pictures of guillotines. No one has ever responded

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

former 2 year fulltime RV dwelling veteran here - did '14-16ish in a 37 foot class A with a washer/dryer etc.

dont do it

theres no place to park them

theres no place to dump the shitter

just dont

Just drive over bridges in Chicago when you want to dump the shitter, duh

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

from what i've read/heard, it's even worse now than it used to be too

Tennessee just passed a law banning camping on public lands in an attempt to gently caress over the homeless

it also hosed over people like me, who bikepack and won't be going to Tennessee now

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

used to able to pull over overnight at like rest stops. it's actually kinda funny rest stops are even a thing in america, or were i guess.

I used to do a lot of driving for work 1997-2002, it's cool to know that poo poo I did on the regular (sleep at rest stops, pull over to piss) will get me arrested now.

Apr 7, 2003

trickybiscuits posted:

Is there any consensus on the smallest appropriate amount to take a former landlord to small claims court for? My ex-landlord is holding back money for repainting a room, which he shouldn't have done because in this state landlords can only take deductions if they return the remainder of the deposit within two weeks and provide documentation of their costs. It's not a lot but I could ask for damages, including punitive damages (landlord has violated the law before, and frankly I'm furious at how I bent over backward to be a nice, compliant tenant).

Is this Pennsylvania? That sounds exactly like the PA law and in PA (landlord tenant act of 1951) your landlord owes you treble damages no matter what if they violate the two week return + documentation limit.

Apr 7, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do we as buyers figure out if a special assessment is coming?

the condo is for sale

Apr 7, 2003

some spicy HOA fees

Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

what the hell are you getting for 1300 a month over your mortgage to live in what looks like an office from the 70's in...pittsburgh?

security keeps the poors out

although afaict the rich and famouos around here just live on a controlled access island in the river, a highrise condo is passe now.

Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

50 apartments in that building. must be one hell of a shithole if it cost 65,000 a month to maintain.

It hangs down the side of a cliff, I'm sure that complicates maintenance somewhat

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

When you have 10k and decide to put a barn door on your shower instead of replacing your nasty rear end yellowing jetted corner tub

Probably a lot of cum stains in that thing that they want to save

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Don't care about barn doors, I just want a house.

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'd love to gentrify appalachia but Dolly P is already on that.

Apr 7, 2003

All the barn door assholes are going to feel stupid when suicide doors become the hot new house trend

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh boy central air

I just put central air in my 1907 house

works out pretty good, I was spending $210/mo in the summer for AC with two window units and a portable, now I'm spending $170/mo at the height of summer

Apr 7, 2003

My ducts were put in the house in the fifties. They're fine

Apr 7, 2003

This place went up for sale around the corner from me

Not a bad profit for just living somewhere for 18 years

Apr 7, 2003

I don't have any insulation in my walls but there are like three layers of wood shingles + insulbrick + vinyl siding on the outside so it works just as good.

Apr 7, 2003

If you don't expect much out of life and you aren't too picky about where you live, you can still buy a palace for cheap in Pennsylvania north of I80.

The entire region has been economically dead for decades but hey, cheap houses.

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

I went to grad school with a guy from Shamokin. Confirmed that it is a depressing shithole.

I grew up there. Threw all my poo poo in my car in 1999 and drove here. Best thing I ever did.

Apr 7, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/wealth/status/1549781913564581891

Mama Mia!

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

for the past month youtube has been shoving videos of europeans/british people moving to rural central Portugal to establish homesteads in my recs

kinda curious to see how theyre doing in those tents and campers rn

All of this is astroturfing just like the media blitz here last year of people moving to Texas from California to avoid "covid lockdowns", which were definitely real stories about real people and not advertising paid by Texas.

Apr 7, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

Ohh yeah, when I lived in Italy, COL was trivial and I was paying too much as a dumb American, too. I showed up at the hospital with a minor emergency, an apparently fake healthcare card provided by the company I was working for, and no idea what was going on and they still treated me, uninsured, for 45 euro. The pills I needed afterwards were 6 euro. If you have no reason to stay where you are and can get work in Italy, it has its virtues. You might have to be white, though.

I'd consider it if Europe paid computer people like the US does.

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I would definitely consider it, but I would basically have to abandon my parents. Obviously there are other factors in play as well.

The person in the article who bought a home in Italy... is that all you need to do? What status does that get you?

It makes you an official Goombah

Apr 7, 2003

Why the gently caress would I want to move from one religious fascist nation to another one

Apr 7, 2003

how do I move to china? That's the real ticket

Apr 7, 2003

It's insanely funny to me that citizenship is a concept of the last 150 years or so. Before if you were in a place you lived there, gently caress it.

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

fart simpson seems to have a pretty fuckin good life ngl

yeppppppppppppppp

Apr 7, 2003

I'm currently looking at upstate PA river cabins, the poo poo our parents owned for summer time fun

They're all 200K+ if they're salable. Anything under $100K are disasters with six figure assessments due to sewage issues. very cool.

Apr 7, 2003

Very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I've posted in the past about the realtor scam that people use, at least in this state, to get houses cheap before they ever show up on the market. At any given time in the US there are 5-10 times the number of licensed realtors compared to houses for sale.

In Pennsylvania, realtors get early access to the MLS and to housing auctions.

The local paper has a section about residents and their houses which is usually just a thinly veiled advertisement before the houses go up for sale.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/h...es/202207220006

Whoops, turns out she's a realtor.

Wonder how she put that realtor's license to work

It's a great scam if you're fine with loving over everyone around you, I guess.