Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
*phone rings*

*dummy me, expecting it to be the call from the doctor I was expecting*: "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm Joe Schmoe from rear end in a top hat Realty. Is this Kreeblah?"

"Yes it is, and I'm not interested in selling."

*line goes dead*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ammanas posted:

yeah youre priced out of a home, save diligently for retirement and marry a high earner.

You say "retirement" like that'll ever be a real option for anybody currently under the age of like 60.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lacrosse posted:

- commercial real estate had a slow start to the year but they expect it to get better with companies forcing return to office plans

What's the plan for when employees tell them to gently caress off and quit instead? Or are they still stubbornly assuming that labor is an infinite pool to draw from?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

In my very limited anecdotal experience this has been the case. In early March we offered 20% over asking on a house which needed significant work to be livable. There were 16 other bids and they informed us they weren't even interested in our second offer unless it was all cash.

Last week we offered 5% over asking on the house next door to that one, same lot size with a mirrored floorplan but in need of far less work. This time around there was only one other bid (which was of course all cash) but I guess the seller had some backbone and went with us because we're going to actually live there.

I'm pretty sure that's how I got my condo in 2018. My offer was not the highest offer (by a really wide margin, too; I want to say, like . . . $25k?), but the name on the higher offer sounded like an institutional investor. The seller asked me if I could come up a bit ($5k), and then took my offer instead. I strongly suspect it's because the seller knew I was actually gonna live here instead of just flipping the place or putting it up on AirBNB.

In the end, I paid $325k for what the seller had paid a bit over $100k for several years prior, and a nearly identical unit just sold for $525k a few days ago. This whole situation is hosed. None of this is even remotely sustainable.

Edit: To be clear, while I'm really glad I have this place, it's not exactly a place I'd want to be forever. But I also don't see that changing with how loving insane prices are. As much as this thing's appreciating, everything else around here is going up even more.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Apr 25, 2022

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The OG name is better: Coffin homes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9XRmWNpfw

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

it is a 30 year loan op

I'm just glad that as hosed as the US is, we're not one of the countries that has poo poo like a 30-year payoff schedule where you have to renew the mortgage terms every five years or whatever at current market rates (and if nobody will give you a re-up, you have to come up with the full balance immediately).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

“we “ do have adjustable rate mortgages they aren’t very popular atm

you can get a fixed rate very easily (relatively !!)

Yeah, people can get ARMs, but they don't have to go through a new qualification period every few years.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Would be nice to have both healthcare and a community doctor.

And an education system that people actually care about.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The thing that really depresses me about the Puget Sound light rail poo poo is the station by me is finally going to open in a couple of years, and now there's a loving airborne virus that I have to make sure I take precautions about when doing things like riding public transit.

And that's without even considering the lovely loving history behind rail around here. Back in 1968 and again in 1970, a bunch of assholes around here turned down nearly a billion dollars in federal funding for a subway because taxes would have gone up a tiny little bit to pay for our part of the construction. So Atlanta got it instead.

In the same votes, they decided it would be a good idea to use public money to fund this loving thing which was demolished more than 20 years ago (so, less than 30 years of use), with the public bonds used to finance it only being paid off just a few years back.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Maxwells Demon posted:

My mortgage was sold to this company back in Nov 2020. They are a collection of idiots and I have no idea how to get away from them.

I had the same experience when they bought my mortgage. I ended up telling them to gently caress off by refinancing, but that was back when that actually made sense to do.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1566025716138901504

I literally just bought 5 apartment buildings to AirnB out and this happens right now FML 🤦‍♂️

:lol: My place looks to have dropped almost 10% in the last month. It's still nowhere near enough of a drop, but it's more than I expected to see here (Puget Sound area).

Maybe it'll continue and I'll actually be able to afford to move to a bigger place or something.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It's interesting because with everybody who was lucky enough to buy a home (well, that needed to get a mortgage for it, anyway) having locked in crazy low rates just a year ago, the only people who are willingly selling in a time of falling prices are people who really need to sell, which is probably gonna push prices down even further. Eventually, I'm sure we'll see another Blackrock scooping them all up on the cheap and loving everybody else over, but for now, poo poo's gonna probably get pretty wild.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, people treating home prices as the only component (or even the most important one) for affordability is very frustrating.

That reminds me of a really good video on that topic I saw a couple months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJlTKUaF3Q

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol i just remembered that hip new fad of landlord tipping

I flat-out refuse to believe that that's a thing that normal people are doing, rather than a few dumbasses somewhere who think it does anything but tell their landlords that there's still some blood left in the stone, plus a bunch of pro-landlord rags trying to gaslight everybody else into it. There's just no loving way.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:hellyeah:

Get hosed, assholes.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

The thing I find most irritating about the flipper aesthetic is the same thing I find irritating about new cars. They push materials choices (marble countertops vs shiny black plastic finishes) that look good once, for like a minute, just long enough to sell the product. Then they go completely to poo poo as soon as you use them in the real world. It's maddening that that's where the money goes.

Also, everything's greyscale. I've seen photos of flipper houses before that have taken me a few seconds to realize were shot in color.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

spacemang_spliff posted:

a year or so ago my mom sold the house we grew up in because it was basically too much house for her and my step dad, they couldn't maintain it and couldn't really afford it. some house flippers offered to buy it as is. it's up on zillow now and goddamn it looks like poo poo.

every thing is white, grey or black. they painted the brick fireplaces white and the wood bookcases black. grey carpet everywhere on the 2nd floor, the first floor is either grey tile or fake grey hardwood (it's not real hardwood because the house never had the real thing). same thing for the basement. although the new owners are going to enjoy the basement flooding and ruining that nice new carpet lmao

why is this the new standard for house flipping, it's so boring and sterile and ugly. like the house needed renovations but it looks like an office now

No lovely barn door bullshit. 3 painted-over black mold patches out of 5.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1135855628755329024

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

um excuse me but i need my home to keep appreciating in value otherwise i cant continue using my heloc to make the margin calls on my 10x levered nft calls

10x? You're leaving money on the table. Real investors go 200x. Enjoy being poor.

Hey, where did all my money go?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Failson posted:

Someone talk me out of Rutland, VT, again. Please:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/87-Library-Ave-Rutland-VT-05701/92021267_zpid/

Twelve rooms! TWELVE! At least one of them is probably livable, based on the pictures.

I love the shot of the back of the weird makeshift closet thing (I think?) in the photo of the pink room.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Minecraft Holmes posted:

retirement plan maybe?

but yeah odd for a doctor - those types typically aren't interested in retiring, especially early retirement

COVID's still obliterating healthcare employees' morale. It's been hitting nursing staff harder than doctors, but even some doctors are throwing in the towel. I really would't be surprised if we do start seeing a lot more doctors retiring early at some point.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

All the healthcare workers I still talk to are huge on the FIRE thing, getting in on rental properties is totally unsurprising. Physicians still make a ton of money but it’s a far cry from the living their professors/parents enjoyed.

Mid level encroachment, reduced/stagnant wages in the face of increasing workload, administrative bullshit, private equity purchasing physician partnerships, etc

A lot of the FIRE folks I've ever seen are loving psychos (I mean, I get not wanting to be forced to sell your labor, but some of these people's brains are seriously broken), so if medical folks are getting into it, I guess that tracks.

Willa Rogers posted:

non-paywalled

quote:

We are very careful not to suggest we offer affordable housing

Huh. I wonder why that could be. :thunk:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/real-estate/2023/02/09/not-making-100-k-housing-markets-out-reach/11218849002/

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

i say swears online posted:

sub-3% is pretty good, was there any time in the last few decades it was below that???

No, and I'm clutching onto my 2.75% fixed rate for dear life.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

can't ever refi if you're locked in at a record low rate

Or move. I'm gonna be here for a long, long time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

And $205/year in property taxes because they're still assessing it at a mid-90s valuation. Jesus, that's cheap. Is Pittsburgh one of the places that reassesses on sale?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

At least it's still possible to buy cheap housing stock in the middle of an ecological disaster zone. Think of the passive income opportunities!

Edit: Love the 25-year-old hot water tank.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

"A lot of people talk about, 'Well, rents have hit a ceiling. There's only so much people are willing to pay,'" said Jon Leckie, a researcher for Rent, a platform that helps landlords market their properties. "The way I look at it is we've set a new floor."

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Joementum posted:

Ideally they'd knock down the Catholic school right behind it to put in the apartments and then adjust the property taxes back up to the $45k they should be paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72-Circle-Ln-Roslyn-Heights-NY-11577/31088541_zpid/

Just use eminent domain to seize their house, and do the same thing to any NIMBY who objects to denser housing. Suddenly they're not local voters any more and there's another parcel to turn into a park or combine with other parcels for more dense housing or something.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gunshow Poophole posted:

keep it up, guy!! you can do it!! you're like motherfuckin Gandhi!

Maybe we can convince landlords that self-immolation is the key. :kingsley:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pulcinella posted:

Also, in Texas it is illegal for a school district to negotiate with a teacher’s union.

So, uh, what do teachers' unions actually do there?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Let's see here. Listed for 4x what it was bought for two years ago. Boring, grey poo poo interior. Cheapass hanging light fixtures that are basically a few bits of wire around a bare bulb. Cheap :siren:stainless steel:siren: appliances. A deck made of unfinished wood. More contractor-grade garbage in the bathrooms (tub, toilet, sink, etc.). Dark metal fixtures to offset the light greys, but without using color in any way. A railing around the stairwell in the attic that looks like it might be warping in places. A majestic view of a mine or something off the deck. Conveniently nestled between two houses which look as poorly-maintained as this one probably is.

Needs more barn doors.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ice Phisherman posted:

cartel poo poo

Yeah, a bunch of 'em use one of those software packages that recommends pricing in order to pretend that they're not colluding.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Why.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I guess I haven't seen anybody psychotic enough to install a barn door as their front door, but I'm sure it's coming.

e: Never mind. I had too much faith in humanity.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Jun 17, 2023

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Seriously, :wtf:. HGTV is loving brain poison.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that one looks like it's photoshopped on. I'm not sure if that's even sadder than that existing

It does, but it's one of the suggested uses for this thing at Home Depot, so somebody's probably actually done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://therealdeal.com/la/2023/10/04/brentwood-airbnb-tenant-wont-leave-or-pay-rent-for-months/

This is hilarious.

Somebody stayed at an AirBNB and managed to get legally classified as a tenant. And since the owner is an opportunistic leech, poo poo's not up to code, which means she got a judge to agree that the owner can't evict her. And since she's a tenant of her own building, the judge also said that rent-control laws apply, which apparently makes her rent zero.

Meanwhile, she's not letting the landlord in to make changes to get things up to code, so the city's fining him for leaving things unfixed.