Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Durzel posted:

Is "Econonmy" supposed to mean something, or am I just being dumb in even asking?

I think he's just complaining about inflation and Biden with an outdated meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

A Falcon 9 launch to LEO costs $70 million

10 million times 100 is 1 billion, not 100 billion

You can't "squeeze in" more than double Starship's design passenger capacity, because it's also got to carry food and oxygen for them for the trip

167 launches at a rate of one launch every 30 minutes would be a ridiculous logistical feat

There's so much more to this than assumed, like we'd have to build 160 more launch pads, and somehow build thousands of new Raptor engines for starship, all while the industrial base for all the superalloys and aerospace-grade is strained to the breaking point right now with the "new space race" on. We'd need to build hundreds of new foundries, machine shops etc.

Also the existing pool of aerospace qualified technicians (most of whom were trained by the military) is already pretty much dry, with anyone with the necessary experience can walk from big aerospace firm to big aerospace firm with impunity. We'd need to build dozens of tech schools. Also we don't have enough mech/aerospace/chem-e's willing to work under the horrible conditions SpaceX demands, so you need to induce thousands of kids to get engineering degrees to go into this sector.

Not to even mention the infrastructure to produce enough LOx and fuel to fuel those rockets, the effect that much fuel would have on gas prices worldwide.

We'd need to mine more nickel, more cobalt, more copper etc.

It would take a national effort far exceeding that of the Apollo program, there is absolutely no way for weird penis Musk to achieve it alone, world's richest man or not. We could probably do it with the full will and backing of the American public, but that's not fuckin' happening.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

is Musk the only billionaire that you can actively bully on twitter and actually have him respond to it? Feels like every other billionaire just ignores it

Pretty much, every other billionaire's Twitter is run by their personal or corporate PR team.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SuddenCactus posted:

Doesn't Russia also have the rare earth minerals needed for teslas?

Not really no? Cobalt is mostly from the DRC, Lithium mostly from Bolivia (this has its own issues). The only mineral that can only really be found in Russia, to my knowledge, is Titanium, which Teslas don't use any significant amount of.

You may be thinking of Neon, which is crucial to the fabrication of chips used to make just about every car, Ukraine basically has a global monopoly on that, and the war has hurt supply.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elon Musk can skillfully allocate my loving nuts onto his forehead.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The concept itself is pretty dystopian when you look past the beautiful investor-ready graphic renderings. Certain elements of it are not, but at the end of the day you have this huge vertical structure where the rich live in the fun upper levels and a servant class lives and toils in the sunless lower levels. This is dystopian cyberpunk 101 tier stuff. It's great that it's designed for public transport but it seems like it'd be a nightmare actually living there as someone who's not already mega-rich

They're also displacing a ton of folks (20,000) indigenous to the region, which of course that part's well underway.

There's also this, lol.

Wikipedia posted:

Also, the scope of the projects based on the crown prince's vision incorporates some technologies that do not even exist, like flying cars, robot maids, dinosaur robots, and a giant artificial moon.[65]

Kind of a shame there's some really cool, and actually achievable stuff in there, but that'll get overshadowed by the financial disaster and humans rights violations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

In honor of this thread reaching Elon's favorite number, here's an article about how much the use of the n word increased after elon took over:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-takeover-sparked-n-word-use-jump-2022-10

You know it's bad if even Business Insider is criticizing him.

"Trolls" and definitely not "virulent racists using hate speech", thanks Business Insider, hard hitting journalism there.

Code Jockey posted:

oh this seems wise lol

e., god drat thinking about those texts with agrawal

There will certainly be no repercussions from blatantly cheating MULTIPLE fellow rich people out of enough money each to retain a world-class legal team. No-siree!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

Musk doing his part to turn Twitter into a hellscape as quickly as possible. I'm sure advertisers love the owner of Twitter posting deranged conspiracy theories, especially when it's about violence against the family of politicians.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586693291231178753

Lol, many people think this turd licking moron is the smartest man in the world.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

crime weed posted:

more commits = better

What does this mean, for those of us that don't code or whatever?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, thanks for all the answers, that is truly some Galaxy Brain poo poo.

Not surprising coming from the dude who had people printing out code they wrote, which even my software illiterate rear end can recognize as dumber than poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1599903522275102720?t=aC0PQZV0VSMOseDdMgna1Q&s=19

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

The fact that he made this poll in and of itself is a huge flashing red sign to remove him IMMEDIATELY. He'll have bots rig the result I'm sure but abso-loving-lutely step down you lunatic.

He's too loving stupid to rig his own lame rear end Twitter poll. 🤣🤣🤣

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

grittyreboot posted:

Don't shame Musk for his body. Shame him for his gross looking mouth. Imagine trying to make out with that thing.

No.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is this pasty motherfucker going to tweet anything substantive about getting blown out in that poll? It's been like a day, the amphetamines wear off or some poo poo?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I like comparing 'ol Musky with Bezos, they're both evil incarnate billionaires, but Bezos just chills out at his giant ranch, working out with his personal trainer, and watching his cock rocket launches. He's on the BoD for his companies but is essentially retired. His social media team takes care of all his socials.

But baby boy Musk can't put his goddamn phone down, and is furiously replying to no name dupshits on the internet and flying to Qatar because he lost literally all his liquid money, instead of living a life of luxury few could imagine.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I know a few Tesla and SpaceX ex-employees and yeah, confirmed that while there was some brilliant work going on, it chewed you to ribbons and burned people out, and if Musk was ever going to be around you were directly told to stay away from him as far away as possible and let your manager deal with him.

This is not a guy who was leading any sort of engineering, he was a C suite exec coming around to nod at graphics and hear yes-men repetition from managers.

From way back but whatever, this sort of personnel management is dumb as gently caress, not only do you have constant brain-drain from high turnover, but working people insane hours is counter-productive. My company just learned that lesson when we went from 12-14 hour surge shifts back to the normal 10, basically every hour we gained off labor, we lost an hour to exhausted people loving up and having to do rework to fix it.

SpaceX is eventually going to earn a well deserved reputation for being a toxic shithole to work at, and they're going to stop getting tons of brilliant young engineers willing to work themselves to death for penis on the dollar of what they're worth.

E:^^^ note to self, pay more attention when using swipe-to-text.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 21, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

He's going for some sort of Guinness world record, he's the stupidest person to ever be the world's (formerly) richest man, she's the dumbest motherfucker to ever earn a doctorate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

afaik the reason the battery lifespan dropped in lotta EVs was to improve recycleability and make cheaper batteries since people don't keep cars long when they've got nice car money (must b nice, nice car...)

You're probably thinking of low cobalt batteries. Either way EV batteries last a lot longer than 3 years, modern ones have a lifespan of around 200,000-300,000 miles, and not a lot of people keep ICE cars around for that long either.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I've seen this gif around over the years, what's the source material?

This video blaming rock music for increased teen suicide. CW: talking about suicide, obv.

https://youtu.be/LIeM569FdAw

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

technically a '99 6cyl Ford Ranger is also a '99 Mazda B3000

I have a Mazda that has no features except a stick shift and an engine and it is the best car I've owned since my '84 Toyota Pickup

Same, but I got pretty sick of commuting in it, and the engine's not long for this world, my lovely little EV has been a fantastic commuter, and is my favorite car ever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

waffle iron posted:

Lots of folks think Tesla's battery pack assembly factory is a lithium battery factory. And Tesla and Elon make sure to coast on that misconception.

What? Gigafactory's battery manufacturing line is a joint venture between Panasonic and Tesla, they developed and build a brand-new form factor of cell for the packs that are now used, and GF produces all the cells for Tesla's built outside of China as far as I've heard from everyone ever but you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love that the Wikipedia entry for the tunnel clowns on it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

like did he make the tunnel in a cool and really fast way

No.

Data Graham posted:

using the cut-and-cover method, the Manhattan subway system was built in 4 years and completed in 1904

It enables the Business Man to go to his Luncheon at Home

e: Mr. McDonald, who built the great Subway, is Proud of it

The NYC 2nd Ave subway extension was built recently using a tunnel boring machine, and was made at almost exactly the same average speed. Because Boring company just uses commercially available boring machines and doesn't have any new technology whatsoever.

They did make the LV tunnel for super-ultra-cheap, but that's probably more to do with lighting capital on fire for a "proof of concept" than actual cost of the project.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The tunnel system under Tromsø was way more mindblowing to me, there's soooo many intersections in it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

this just raises a question for me: are there geofenced areas teslas aren't allowed to autodrive in? Like military bases? Just sort of internally comparing it to hobby drones.

I doubt it, there's no restrictions on letting your Tesla drive itself on any military base I've been on, the real secure stuff you can't drive your own car around on anyways.

It's inserting though, pretty soon the government's going to have to start ordering cars specifically without driver assist cameras or cell connectivity to drive around that sort of place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

superjew posted:

Clearly the solution is to invest trillions into weather control systems before the woke mind virus something something.

I mean, you could try wiping the snow off your trunk lid before you opened it, but that's probably the woke mind virus talking.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

goatface posted:

It needs to be one he can't buy his way out of.

Maybe some time as a Chinese political prisoner?

One of those unofficial ones in Siberia, and the heat in his cell tent is out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

always keep a 3 second distance with the car in front of you in case its programming decides to do insane poo poo a human would never do

well assuming there's no bee in the car, a human will do just about anything in a car with a bee in it I reckon

I had a yellow jacket fly in my drat motorcycle helmet and I made it to the shoulder before I came to a compete stop.

Eh, pretty sure there's a sensor common to all these systems, it's not some sort of crazy failure, similar things happen to other modern luxury cars and it's pretty inevitable with all the electronic bits and bobs on them these days.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

i hope you're joking

What do you expect me to do, click through Twitter links? Lol.

https://twitter.com/rust1n/status/1612692296461582337?t=RnFI0xt0Ra2p3iZ6N2JTbA&s=19

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

...that is not an answer to what I was asking.

are you really saying it's common for luxury cars to disable loving seatbelts just because of some rain?

SRS faults due to sensor failures are common, yes. There's no way to tell if it was caused by the rain until you click through and see the trunk full of water, which is a slightly less typical problem in modern cars.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

yook posted:

Once you remove all the controls and air conditioning vents, why even have a dashboard?

Glass roof is nice, though. You're only ever a few tin foil pieces away from sitting in a fully fledged solar oven while you bake in the sun.

It looks even more like a half-life 1 counterstrike map from this angle and the fire extinguisher under the seat is a thoughtful addition.

I thought the Cybertruck wasn't even out yet, how'd a bunch of lovely HGTV "house flippers" install lovely home depot countertops in it already?

Disturbingly it wouldn't be the first time cheap rear end wood grain PVC from HD has been used in a Tesla.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm half remembering how unstable lithium battery fires behave, but wouldn't the fire extinguisher... excite a battery fire burning into the cabin?

It's probably a dry chemical extinguisher.

It's still not going to help with a battery fire, but it won't make it worse.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Twitter content moderation still going well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I searched for Mr. Beast Burger, and after finding the physical location despite Google's efforts to stop me, this was the 1 review with more than 1 star.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

...! posted:

Bezos is partially funding the Lord of the Rings show so at least he's doing something good with his money.

And yes, the show is good, goddammit. :mad:

Of course he did, Jeff Bezos is the hugest goddamn nerd. If he has a stupid plastic gun on his bedside table like Musky it's gonna be something like a phaser that Patrick Stewart or Shatner held on set.

He hired Neal Stephenson to write his space company's strategic vision FFS.

E: also click through that McHimbo tweet to see Scott Adams talking about having sex with farm animals, and also comparing female affair partners to farm animals.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I dug this up from another thread, but here's some old-school Elon dipshittery from 2018.

Wikipedia posted:

In June 2018, Elon Musk revealed a potential feature called "SpaceX option package" for the Roadster.[26] This would add around ten cold gas thrusters to the car to improve maneuverability; it would comprise an electric pump to recharge an air tank used to provide compressed air flowing through propelling nozzles to generate a cold jet thrust. The air tanks, based on "composite overwrapped pressure vessel" (COPV) also used in the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, would replace the back seats. The thrusters would be used to improve cornering, acceleration, top speed, and braking.[27][28][29] Working pressure would be 10,000 psi (700 bar).[30]

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Remember when Uber tried to pivot to flying cars? lmao

Thanks for reminding me!

They were going to "disrupt" the FAA into letting them fly a taxi through SFO's restricted airspace, lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What is this even supposed to mean?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why cant he just die from a drug overdose

He's not loving nearly cool enough to overdose.

Fuckin "here lies Elon, died of an overdose on 5 full-caff Diet Cokes and nearly a full 3/4 of a tablet of Ritalin."

We should be so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The one thing Biden is really good at is shutting people down in an old man "why should I care about that *blows raspberry* way"