Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Even Russian officials are dunking on Musk for how stupid his take is:

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1577032704327286784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

What I really want to see now is him following through on his stupid idea of Open Sourcing the algorithm. This could pan out in different ways depending on how they choose to go about it, but every single one of them leads to the destruction of Twitter, either financially, or by rendering it unusable.

I can't wait.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

This feels like it was lifted straight out of a modern reimagining of Foucault's Pendulum. Heck, now that I think about it, so does Musk himself.

I want more Umberto Eco novels...

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I never thought a stenographic record of someone pretending they are on the Joe Rogan podcast would translate so well to this forum's format.

Gotta say, I'm warming up to it!

edit: Also: Why the blazes would I want to sleep in a house already packed with 599 other people in the first place?

Aramis fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 6, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sex Farm posted:

Can i use it to?

:golfclap:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

He didn't give a single poo poo about what was happening in Ukraine until he he bought Putin's Nuclear bluff hook, line, and sinker. That's probably all there is to it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Piquai Souban posted:

Elon confirming he’s yanking Starlink funding from Ukraine because of mean tweets

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1580819437824839681?s=46&t=9_uv7qvKMJtGefczdXVuvQ

I know it's been said multiple times, but it bears repeating: Playing "gently caress around and find out" with the motherfucking DoD is a heck of a way to spend your free time.

The romantic in me wants it to be a grand ploy to hand off the network to the government with some plausible deniability wrt/ whatever leverage Putin has on him, but I know better.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Everything about this subscription checkmark thing is so incredibly dumb.

Treating it as a pure vanity feature undercuts the one single positive thing twitter has had going for it so far.
Making your value-generating users pay more money while letting your value-consuming users off the hook is sure to go well.
Engineers are willing to tolerate mandatory OT in order to land something that has fallen behind. Requesting it as part of the initial planning of something will not go well. Maybe not at first, but soon enough.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

blue checkmark users and 'brands' bring 0 positive value to twitter or to social media in general

I wouldn't dare suggest that all (or most of, or even a large portion of) blue checkmark users bring that value, but credible citizen journalism is the one silver lining of the platform. Having a means to protect them from impersonation is part of what made Twitter "useful" in that sphere.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 31, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

He's also a nobody so his opinion on checkmarks is dumb.

That can't be! He's got a checkmark and everything! That automatically makes him worth listening... right? If that wasn't the case, then him shelling out money for it would just make him a sucker.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

You just know that this same person also uses the Laffer curve as evidence for why we should lower tax rates.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I would imagine the staff at Tesla/SpaceX are both relieved to have Musk fully distracted by his new toy, and dreading the inevitable turn of the eye of Sauron in their direction, which will predictably lead to throwing out months of "unsupervised" work down the drain as a matter of pure principle.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588081971221053440

Just how Trump is a dumb person's idea of a rich man, Elon is a dumb person's idea of a smart man.

loving called it, or close enough to gloat at least.

Aramis posted:

Calling it now: X is an AGI. Musk is obsessed with them, and he thinks Twitter is a database of humanity's consciousness the AI will train on.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

The downside of not advertising on twitter is I can't stop advertising on twitter.

Also, the advertisers yanking spend on this means what I've known for 6+ years, the ROI on Twitter is dogshit and anybody advertising there is seeing marginal results and this is the impetus for them to go "yeah, lets give up on "unlocking" twitter"

Most of these big campaigns fell under the nebulous "brand-awareness" umbrella, which have notoriously hard to capture KPIs. There's no way Audi has ever been able to correlate twitter ad-buys to consumer behavior at the dealership. General Mills might be able to, but even then.

There is no such thing as ROI for these campaigns. All that really matters is that the ad budget is spent and that the C-Suite see evidence that the ads are getting pushed.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

So they plan to launch it a day after finishing the code?

That’s going to be a shitshow

They are also getting rid of something like half of the backend infrastructure. They won't have much of a choice but to skip all those wasteful smoke tests, canaries and gradual rollouts. You might as well just deploy and pray at that point. What else are you going to do, just wait?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

I hope there's some catastrophic bug that does something like ban every verified account.

The silver lining is that every single hacker in the world, no matter the color of their hat, is going to be running this thing through the wringer 24/7. So I am looking forward to a period of unusual calm for the rest of the internet.

edit:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Musk is desperate for cash if he’s pushing it this hard.

And it won’t make that much a difference anyway

Perhaps. More likely he just wants to prove the haters wrong by turning this ship around in record time.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 4, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Twitter is a bloated Behemoth, so let's only keep the employees who contributed the most to bloating that beast. :hmmyes:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

the coding standard that hasn't been updated at work since the 90s still specifies an 80 character column max, and i enforce that with delight in code reviews because it really does prevent a lot of abuse like WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)

it's not a silver bullet and there are times for exceptions, but it's probably the only good thing i have to say about the code style we're supposed to follow in our corporate process manuals

80 columns max rules. Beyond forcing a sane style, being able to fit two columns of code side-by-side on a laptop is an absolute godsend.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

A lot of modern languages even come with their own standard formatting tools to enforce code style. They don’t fix godawful variable names though.

gently caress you Go, I just want to check if it'll work real quick.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Guze posted:

None of those advertisers need Twitter, shame them how exactly?

By giving them millions upon millions of free impressions apparently.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

Elon's new plan is to shadowban everyone who doesn't pay the $8

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588876465915166721?s=46&t=nH8SObgHb8DB2SaCCcz5mQ

The worst part is, it "could" work if the fee was non-recurring. Pay :10bux: for the privilege of your tweets being visible, and lose that privilege if you spout garbage, forcing you to shell out another :10bux: before you can start posting again. Keep tweeting like an rear end in a top hat and lose the right to pay at all.

If only there was a precedent of such a model working...

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 5, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I'm sure advertisers are thrilled to hear that ad relevancy matching, you know, the one single thing that makes these platforms attractive in the first place, will be turned off for the majority of impressions.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

From each according to their ability as well as $8/month, to each according to their needs.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

To pay $8/Month, or not to be?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Aaaaaaaahahahahaha

let the certificates lapse elon, people will just click through the giant warning saying not to click through

that might drive a few folks off

e. and yeah there is very, very little chance they do an update like that within a month or so to all the servers they'd need to. Granted I work at a sane place, but something like rolling to a new certificate would be a gradual, we do this at night and we get people on the phone to verify stuff came back up thing, done over weeks / months. Elon's gonna call up a consulting firm and say "I need the cheapest resource possible who knows how to manage certificates. no I don't know what kind of certificate. $10k an hour? Ha, I would've paid double. I am smarter than you, and thus will do business with you."

Certificate chains is one of those things that I can absolutely see Elon thinking is stupid and for which there has to be a simpler solution that hasn't been developed yet out of laziness. There is a non-zero chance that he does something stupid like publicly calling for Brave (Who's userbase is mostly Musk Stans) to blindly accept self-signed certificates, since one of his team will deliver Secure Self-Signed Certificates™ (SSSC™) any day now.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Stable, predictable, and consistent moderation policies.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589644018727936001

He really is just shockingly dumb. Imagine saying something like this with a straight face in TYOOL 2022.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

By popular demand posted:

I always got the impression that America is highly politicized right now, how many swing voters even are there?

Effectively 0. Elections have been purely a turnout game for decades.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Baffled why he hasn’t reinstated trump’s account yet. I mean why not at this point he’s not pretending to run a real company.

Theory: Trump personally asked him to wait until he formally announces he's running for president, as he wants to make it clear that this awards him special deference in various matters (including in court).

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

davecrazy posted:

I need to know Elons SA forums username.

You know he had to have one.

I feel like I'm starting to "get" Elon. Taking everything I've learned into account, and from a deep analysis of posting patterns, I've concluded that it has to be this account.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Xakura posted:

Oh poo poo, I never would have guessed

Trillhouse posted:

woaaaahhhh....i think you're right

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one seeing right through it. Assuming that was the right call, feel free to reach out to me via PM, Elon. It'll be my pleasure to show you how I managed to suss you out.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Clever ploy, you link the users back to their own accounts so that elon musk and his many alts all reveal themselves.

You've got it wrong. The ploy is way more subtle than that. We joke a lot about Elon being dumb, but he's surely not dumb enough to fall for something this simple. However, I figured he wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to point out that he saw through it.

After all, why would anyone want to be such a party pooper by revealing the trick before it had a change to work, Arrrthritis. Or should I say Elon Musk!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

By the time the dust settles, Twitter is going to be running off a Mastodon instance.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lol, he's literally bracing for the inevitable meltdown of the infrastructure due to no one being there to keep it going: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589784884666859520

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BadOptics posted:

Alastair Reynolds mentioned it in his most recent Revelation Space book - they're seen by people 100+ years later as a bunch of weird cultists (Muskites) who ended up all dying on Mars (some if the characters have to camp out in one of their decrepit base camps).

I have been bracing for an eventual reveal that Musk was ultimately responsible for the Conjoiners (Mars-based human-machine hybrid hivemind, for those unfamiliar), but I probably don't have to worry about that anymore.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

Nobody tell him about stolen credit cards.

He knows about it. If anything, I have no doubt he is very much in favor of people with very disposable income spending on his products/services. Now, if someone could get him to tweet it out loud during one of his manic stupors, then things could get very interesting.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

"Car engineers" is being extremely generous here

They are saying that Elon got Tesla engineers to review the code, and he's tweeting based on their reports.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

I have no clue what "batched RPC" means and don't think Elon knows either.

Batched RPCs are, for various technical reasons, ridiculously fundamental to having acceptable performance when doing GPU-based Machine Learning stuff in your backend architecture. As long as you are using a decent multiplexing tunnel, like gRPC, they don't really matter much for run-of-the-mill operations like authentication or doing a one-shot fetch from a database.

It's no surprise that Tesla engineers have a strong bias in favor of them. And Elon not understanding that the logic doesn't transfer is not surprising either.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 13, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

pablo gbscobar posted:

It's also because a lot of big accounts make lovely posts and just aren't good at using twitter. As Musky is currently learning right now, just because you can buy followers doesn't mean you can buy goodwill or posting prowess, and if your posts suck nobody is going to like them.

To give him a tiny bit of a defense here, Elon's twitter account is probably one of the 3-4 that could credibly have a ton of bot-followers without having bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I think Musk has correctly identified that ad-centrism is the root cause of most of what makes social medias awful. Mind you, like all of his "insights", it's something that a lot of actual serious and believable people have been saying for years. The ultimate goal of weaning off twitter from ad revenue, or at least the current dynamics of it, somehow is something that is 100% needed.

He seems to be doing the equivalent of "If we act as if we were in a post-racism society, then racism would go away". Transition plans are clearly not something he does, and he doesn't seem to realize that twitter absolutely needs one in order to survive.

So he takes his idealized "vision" of how twitter would be eventually operating in "steady state" in 5 years (efficient, thin, popular, profitable, independent, etc), and goes: Let's just pretend we are there already. Any effort spent building anything else is a waste since it won't be part of the final product. This is obviously stupid, as a social media platform can never be a self-contained system.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 14, 2022