Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps have Schultz, Kempny, Irwin, Johansson, Larsson going UFA. Both goalies hitting RFA. $9M to work with. I don't think they really can do poo poo outside of figuring out what to do with Schultz's spot and mostly standing pat.

e: Oh and watch Ovi hit dingers and hope that the Russia/Ukraine thing blows over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

*tom wilson flies into frame*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuo2oF5B4o

That's playoff hockey!

I am definitely a little afraid Tommy Boy is going to do something horrible out of frustration after the Panthers repeatedly dunk on the Caps.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There's an aerosolized respiratory pandemic going on.

Yeah def. not in Florida.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Goddamn Barkov is awesome.

e: Not GDT, but still true.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea the caps played like, the best game they could. And it was still close. They will not be that good the whole series.

The Caps have a real shot honestly. A lot depends on how Florida adjusts to Washington playing conservative and trapping the gently caress out of the neutral zone. The Cats didn't get a lot of clean entries or looks and the Caps are clearly capable of being opportunistic in the counterattack.

But yeah, not every game is going to start with a 5 on 3 so.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/ajcastigliaa/status/1521875726433234944?s=21&t=Igv40erZbD0IkLPupwyrLQ

I just keep watching it over and over and getting angrier and angrier this is a good use of my time 🙃

If you want to not get called for goalie interference, it's crucial to not interfere with the goalie.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Caps definitely have the potential to lose this series in 6. Better than I thought!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/capsboybebop/status/1523021627411537920?t=ojeFdJHaYY6ImBXgOQBBVw&s=19

(It's ovi)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

What is going on with Edmonton?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello NHL goons

I’ve been a “I should actually watch hockey” very, very casual fan for like 15 years or something. Got into it somewhat in the 2000s and learned the game via NHL 10 I think. I caught some Panthers vs Caps games recently and got hooked again. Tonight is the first night I’m skipping the NBA playoffs game in favor of hockey. I’m excited!

The teams I’ve followed are the Blues, Panthers and Lightning. Last two because I like to root for state teams. Being in a “non hockey market” makes it amusing to me. Family is from STL and my parents used to drink with the team in the 70s/80s. It owns that all my teams are pretty good apparently.

I didn’t really know anything about Tony D but I saw him high crosscheck (sorry if that’s the wrong term I’m learning!) a dude and then try to fight about it and was like “what the gently caress is wrong with this dipshit” and I’m glad that’s just an accepted thing lol

Anyway yeah if anyone has anything they think I should know or see or whatever to get me more into hockey I’d love the check it out. Or trash me for jumping in while all my teams are good lmao.

Welcome! Sorry the Caps are making the Panthers less fun to watch than usual.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The idiot I forgot I missed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Love that Samsonov is playing lights out finally but I had already mentally prepared myself for him to get traded this offseason. gently caress me we may have another year of the Sammy/Vanacek train ride. If it looks like Samsonov is staying and I’m Vanacek’s agent? I’m demanding a trade. It does neither of them any good to remain on the same team.

They only seem to have the talent to be a 1A/1B pairing, it's just not totally clear who should be the 1A.

I guess I also don't get who is on the other side of that trade. Both goalies are RFA after this season. And even in the best of circumstances, goalies return peanuts. So either you trade one of them for a bag of pucks and move up Fucale or try and get another reclamation project in return? I just don't see the utility in it.

Continue to pay them nothing for sub-league-average goaltending and use the money elsewhere.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

He also loses his net constantly. I don't get why the Panthers don't work it behind the net on the PP more to bait him into taking an adventure.

edit: Also it's funny that we're talking about Samsonov, who has a .949 SV% in 2+ games when the Caps had 16 SOG total last night.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 10, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

MAF has a higher playoff SV% than Vanecek, Vasilevskiy, Quick, Campbell, :cop:, Shesterkin

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I really haven't been very impressed by anybody in the east. Kinda makes the Pens loss sting even that much more because everyone looks very beatable. Carolina looks like the best of the bunch but they have warts too so far at least with special teams. And not so sure how their goaltending would hold up if they play a team that pushes them more. I thought Tampa and Florida both looked kinda lovely last night and if I didn't know any better I would have called that a regular season game. The pace of play was bad.

Colorado has that vibe about them and I dunno how they're gonna get stopped

I think you were spoiled by the gong-show Pens-Rags series. The Caps demonstrated how effective clogging up the neutral zone can be at neutralizing the Panthers' rush game. The Bolts are executing that strategy, albeit more effectively.

So unless the Cats break the game wide open somehow, you're not going to see a lot of sustained pressure or rush chances or terribly exciting hockey basically.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I love watching the highlights for a game and it's literally only goals.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kadri play was a good no-call and loving Binnington.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Cats picked a bad time to suck it up. Now I want the worst timeline in which the Lightning win 3 in a row.

Yes, the playoffs are indeed a bad time.

The Panthers will not win because they haven't figured out how to get through a clogged neutral zone. And not for nothing the Lightning are doing that whole "peaking at the right time" thing.

They've got to start trying some stretch passes or something, I dunno.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1528564010471378949?s=21&t=JLNs2NX-GLzHq84CrovnUg

Lucic absolutely hammered him, but Smith has his back turned when he takes the puck behind the net and fakes a pass before reversing it up the boards. People gave Girard poo poo for putting himself in a bad spot, but Mike Smith has to be more aware if he’s going to play the puck as often as he does

Either way, open season on goalies this playoffs

People gave Girard poo poo for getting boarded because they are morons. This also applies to those who say it's a goalie's fault when he gets decked in the trapezoid.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Levitate posted:

I feel completely unsurprised that Florida turned out to be a paper tiger

I think Tampa also might just be really good. Florida outchanced Tampa by a lot.

Also the Kadri hat trick is glorious.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

This time the 'LOLSOUTH' would be the Oilers. People might be so psychologically addicted to Oilers failure that there would be a complete unravelling as McDavid dangled through the Lightning again and again.

Are you kidding that would make me so happy. SOMEONE has to dangle through the goddamn Lightning.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

West coast hockey is fun as poo poo to watch, but whoever emerges, Tampa is going to suffocate in a boring series.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

whatis posted:

I will never cheer for a NYC team unless they're playing a Boston team. Maybe an LA team, but that's kind of a coin flip. It's annoying that Tampa is primed to go to the finals again but they're still the lesser of two evils.

I grew up in New Jersey, have an older brother that I dislike who is a Rangers fan, and have personally watched the Rangers eliminate my Capitals from the playoffs three different seasons during their prime. To say that I have no love for the Rangers is an understatement.

In terms of narrative, karma/justice, player personalities, entertainment value... The Rangers are the lesser of two evils and it's not even close.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe Sidney Crosby could wedge his stick blade through the eye slot of a goalie's mask on purpose first try, but I guarantee you no one else could.

But yeah Kuemper clearly isn't right and between that and JMFJ Tampa is going to get yet another easy romp through the Finals.

I mean, they probably would have anyway. Even Gretzky last night was like... IDK I think you probably need to try playing defense.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kaddish posted:

If they gently caress with Vassy there will be riots.

What do people in Tampa even have to burn down? St. Pete?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

more like Tampon Bay, mirite fellas?

...hello?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think Tampa was just slow and out of sync after a 9-day break. They'll come back and hurt some folks the next game, as is custom.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

He had that one semi break in the first after a save at the other end IIRC makar ended that with a nice poke check

Yeah that was nice. Gotta be scary as gently caress going 1 on 1 with McD at speed.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1532517038928830473

To Wonderllama's point though, he just had good spacing and kept him to the outside. But gently caress that is fast for backward skating.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

Why did the Islanders trade Toews for two 2nd rounders?

He was going to arbitration and they wouldn't have been able to fit him under the cap having to re-sign Barzal and Pulock that year.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I don't like posting about posters, but I'm gonna need to see some ID to be convinced that Drunk Panda isn't Kawalimus in Avs fan cosplay.

Most predictors have the Avs as outright favorites against the winners of Tampa/NYR. Even if you think a hot goalie trump's everything, hockey is a high variance game and you'd be hard pressed to say any NHL team is more than a 90 - 10 dog against any other in a 7 game series, much less say Colorado is on the 10% side of that equation.

I don't think it's quite so stacked as that, but as much as I am rooting for the Avs at this point, it's hard to see them taking it with Girard and Kadri out and Francouz or a one-eyed Kuemper in net.

I do hope it's against the Rangers though, that would be a more fun series to watch.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

At this rate, the Stanley Cup winner is going to wind up being whoever can ice an NHL roster.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DrunkPanda posted:

Lightning are completely healthy, besides Point, right? And he's expected back next round

I guess it is really a backhanded way of saying the Bolts are going to win, yes.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I would really have preferred a day game, NHL.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Tampa plays boring successful hockey. If you hated the Devils 20 years ago, you are obliged to hate the Lightning now.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

The two best players on the ice by a large margin both play for the Avs, relax

Kucherov makes any margin not very large at all.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

oh snap

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1537112997641920512

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

the good team won, but the bad guy is never out for the count in act 1

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Burakovsky is a player who needs a lot of space to use his shot, which is otherwise quite good. This is a lot more apt to happen during the regular season than the playoffs. He's pretty bad at forechecking, board battles and lots of other playoff things.

Like this bounce was super, super fortunate in that it give Nichuskin just enough time and Bura just enough space. Hedman gets a stick on that 99 times out of 100, but he had just blocked the shot.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1537272728427778048

e: I guess you could say a lot of Caps players are also "very reliable regular season players who otherwise stink in the playoffs except that one time."

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 16, 2022

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Yeah having two good teams instead of just one makes it much better.

Although I guess we had that in 2019 and I don't remember being overly interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol at wonderllama's trash talk instantly shifting to crying about the refs when the Lightning lose a game. But yes it was definitely a bad call (it clearly was hooking not tripping, jfc get it right refs).

Avs need to win Game 2 because Cooper is going to figure them out and is going to mercilessly target JMFJ when he gets last change in the games at Tampa. Their one eyed goaltender is another weakness you can bet Cooper will work out how to exploit as the series goes on.

They had like 12 shots in the first two periods. Probably shooting would help too.

T-Bone posted:

Blues/Bruins game 7 was the most watched game in the US since 1994.

I mean this was memorable but