Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was juuust getting into the swing of things in pool 1 and then accidentally pushed myself into pool 2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Have been trying to get to Infinite before the end but have been getting absolutely top decked in the 70s. Have all of Pools 1 and 2, along with Rogue, Magneto, Shaw.

Ignoring the times I've lost trying to counter the smartest move my opponent could do (only for them to do the dumb play), are there any decks I could try? I've been doing well enough with a deck built around Shaw but maybe I'm too dumb to rank up higher.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Last King posted:

if you're early pool three, that def. is the worst time i remember trying to climb.

shaw has not been great in this meta, esp. since other cards are out powering him.

do you have access to the token shop? one really good performing deck type (high evo) can pretty much be played as soon as you have the 6k tokens needed to grab him.

if not, def. try to stick with one deck to climb. early pool three climbing i remember taking a wong deck all the way, but can be tough in the current meta since there's a lot of lockdown, control, etc. going around, and cosmo, rogue, enchantress, and co. all screw with him.

if you can post a list / ss of the pool three cards you do have, i'm sure folks can help pull together a decent deck list for you to continue climbing with.

can also join the discord and ping folks there... i'm always up for watching some games and trying to help / backseat.

cheers, I wasn't fully into Pool 3 yet when I posted this but I'm a few cards in now. So far have:

Adam Warlock
Agatha Harkness
Beast
Death
Destroyer
Ghost Rider
Human Torch
Juggernaut
Magneto
Rogue
She-Hulk
Spider-Man
Ultron

:shobon:

e: and I can claim Mystique for the next ~7 hours

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 28, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ooo first key, got Iron Lad

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

conquerer carnage is so fuckin cool :swoon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Devo posted:

It's been outclassed at the upper levels of the meta now, but Destroyer used to be a top tier build around card. You want Prof X, Armor, and Cosmo to protect your own things from being blown up. Notice how those are all ongoing cards? Fill the rest of the deck with other ongoing cards like Ant-Man and Warpath, and then top that part of the deck off with Spectrum. It's been a year+, but this build was tier 1 for a while and is pretty fun to play. You could throw the Rogue in there too to steal other peoples' ongoing effects.

Thanks, gonna give this a go! First thing I played I immediately shutdown a carnage/deathlok deck which was amusing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

boy I sure am tired of every Apocalypse deck I face having perfect draws for a 18+ power card at the end :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

it was easier to get that when I was still limited to Pool 2 :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think I must be in the minority where I really dislike Hipp's art style. I will greedily collect all of Luca Claretti's variants though :swoon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is it a cosmic rule that gamora avatars are all cocky assholes

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Devo posted:

It's been outclassed at the upper levels of the meta now, but Destroyer used to be a top tier build around card. You want Prof X, Armor, and Cosmo to protect your own things from being blown up. Notice how those are all ongoing cards? Fill the rest of the deck with other ongoing cards like Ant-Man and Warpath, and then top that part of the deck off with Spectrum. It's been a year+, but this build was tier 1 for a while and is pretty fun to play. You could throw the Rogue in there too to steal other peoples' ongoing effects.

This has gotten me to 5 cubes from Infinite in the non-conquest mode, thank you :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

wow i hate the post-100 matchmaking so much

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I mean it's neat that it doesn't really matter points wise, I like that ranked rewards don't need you to keep that rank until the end if the season, and I've seen crazy rear end decks but they all horrify me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You'll be back in a better place in a few hours

haha, nope!! guess I gotta let it play out for a week because every deck I've faced is incredibly lovely to play against rn

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Why can't I buy this :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I envy everyone who doesn't have he and nebula because that's a slam dunk spotlight

I have neither so of course got Caiera

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I think you need to unpin it before it lets you buy it.

that was it, thank you! the ultimate variant i pinned didn't have the same issue so it threw me off

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

every other deck i've played against has been HE how do I counter this fucker

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Loki with Mobius is drat near a free roll, just don't get caught by Cosmo. In general, this is an amazing moment for Thick Loki. Grinding 73-93 the last day or so I've only seen a couple of mirrors, and the list below dumpsters all the other Thick Boi decks clogging up the meta. It plays a lot of generically good cards, so it can compete on fair terms when it doesn't have the nuts. Loki, of course, lets you play their late game against them at a discount and Mobius is thriving. Something like 90% of decks are running cost reduction. Zabu is fuckin' everywhere.

Enjoy the deck now while you can, in case the Loki change next week puts it out of contention.

KM Best video with a breakdown of a very similar deck and some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNGY4Sei97A&t=84s

The difference in power and playability between 3 and 2 cost is absurd, so pretty much exactly this, yes.

i dont have like, half these cards lol. I'm currently getting wrecked by move decks too, which this thread seems to think are toddler-level so I feel like theres a bit of a schism in experiences

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

God the fuckers on proving grounds that refuse to just play for 8 from the get go are worse than any deck.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Devo posted:

I don't know that I would call move decks toddler level. They're actually incredibly hard to play well and are one of the strongest things you can do in pool 2. That being said, they get outclassed and outscaled very quickly by mid pool 3.

e: Did you open Caiera? Play Blue Marvel Ka-zoo. I think it would be seriously strong at your CL. Unplayable without the Caiera protection though.

I didnt even think of that, doh! And yeah I'm only CL797 atm, have Caiera, Loki, Iron Lad, Sebastian Shaw out of series 5.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't know why but compared to the other deck suggestions, this one I threw together has consistently won me more games and caused, very weirdly, two ragequits in proving grounds of all places :confused:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I saw someone with that deck today and I thought it was a bot deck because it seemed very strange. I ended up winning with a Darkhawk deck.

didn't even know darkhawk existed as a character until this post so don't think it was me

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I had any of those they'd be in the deck, he's come in clutch multiple times for me with good placement

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

god drat it, also is there a way to share my collection I want to try loki before changes but IDK if I have the cards to make him work

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

god drat it, also is there a way to share my collection I want to try loki before changes but IDK if I have the cards to make him work

Help me out goons, you're my only hope

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Devo posted:

You'll have to make a couple substitutions, but since you have Beast, Human Torch, and Caiera you should check out Jeff Hoogland's YouTube video from a day or two ago. It's a Human Torch bounce deck that allows you to make big stupid numbers and looks pretty fun to play. I was thinking about trying it out this weekend. I think Falcon comes before pool 3 anyway? Ignore this if you don't have him yet.

e: if you're specifically looking for Loki decks, you're missing some of the hand filling engine that makes him work. I'm specifically thinking of Snowguard and Agent Coulson.

can't find that vid at all

oh found it, different channel

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Saying it again, the weekly Win 8 missions for the season pass card loving suck. I don’t like Skaar, I don’t like the kinds of decks he goes in. Don’t make me grind out 8 wins with the shitter.

Either make it 4 wins or play 8 games. 8 wins is way too many.

I did those last time by putting the card of the week as a lame duck in an otherwise decent deck

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Sadly, you do not have the cards to run any version of Loki. You're pretty close to having the core Shaw Surfer deck, but missing Brood and Sera really hurts. Looking over your collection, the best deck I can see is a Wong/Odin On Reveal list. Something like,

The core Wong > Tiger > Odin package is quite strong at your collection level, and you also have an Iron Lad. He's one of the best cards in the game and slots nicely into the list since every card has a useful ability for him to copy. It's a very no-frills, play on curve and hope to outpower the opponent kinda deck. Sorry if that's not your jam, but I can't see any other cohesive builds with your current collection.

Edit: also, if you can get more keys before the week is over, do it. High Evo and Nebula are both exceptional cards, and the next two weeks of Spotlights are pretty mediocre. If you can snag High Evo you're only a Magik away from running SheNaut, which is a tier-1 deck, and you can still run a bunch of other decent HE lists while you wait to open her.

This is actually pretty close to a deck I've been running today and it's a joy to use when your opponent doesn't have cosmo, I'll try your variation, thanks!

e: first game with it had sinister london, that was fun :getin:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The core Wong > Tiger > Odin package is quite strong at your collection level,

I got my first two gold tickets with this :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

woo got HE from my second spotlight key and have Nebula pinned in the token shop :toot:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

just. don't do that? idgi

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Spider-Man gives Batman a run for his money when it comes to lame villains in his rogues' gallery.

and LEAPFROG!

And apparently, Leapfrog has no direct connection to Venture Bros' Brick Frog.

this guy was in the she-hulk show and i'm so glad he was

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Thinking about that reminded me that I bought the Season Pass this month, and I didn't redeem the free crap from the NuVerse online shop, got me a new mystery variant, icon I'll likely never use and 250 credits :D

gently caress I had no idea this was a thing, wonder how much stuff I missed out on last season

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

Today was the second time in literally a month that my shop has had any album variants (I snagged Jim Lee Rogue a week or so ago) and it’s not just one, but FIVE…and they’re all 1200 gold premium variants. C’mon, guys, I know you’re targeting the whales, but you gotta mix it up a little. The rollout of albums has been so stupid.

the past three days my shop has been flooded with lovely dan hipp variants its so boring, I do want corporate art aesthetics in a super hero game

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

time to hoard keys thats so many fun cards and variants god

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i kept only getting HE mirror matches playing my HE deck, so I switched to my wong deck for a bit.

every match up has a cosmo.

switch back to my HE deck, 5 matches in a row have been against HE decks. the gently caress is this poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

found it very satisfying leeching a turn 5 beast deck focused on vulture

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

would be nice if the last 600 levels of collectors reserves gave me cards and not loving titles and credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shang-Chi'd an 18 and 13 Human Torch/Vulture off K'un-Lun, they play Phoenix Force for a 22 Torch and move it back to K'un-Lun and double snap.

Iron Lad on turn 6, scans Odin, triggers Shang-Chi again. Incredibly satisfying top deck draw.