Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 4, 2005

If they hadn't pissed away so much money to their mates maybe we wouldn't have to fight a loving 'war' to keep the loving lights on.

Its always a 'fight' with these arseholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

Someone thought this was a good idea. People let this happen.

Oct 4, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Bring in capsule hotels, make em dirt cheap.

I'd 100% use those, they look cosy

This is Britain we're talking about.

They'd be a bunch of wheely bins turned on their sides and hot glued together.

£100 a night.

Wheely Bin Plus with wifi £149.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/LouisDegenhardt/status/1532030938301050881

Also, does anyone know if this is actually true?

https://twitter.com/lulinspector/status/1531952997927886854

Oct 4, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just read the first 40 pages of the Starmer book. What a nasty piece of work he is.
I'm assuming it gets worse.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Oct 4, 2005

I'm out of the loop, what does "Nevertheless" mean in this context?

Oct 4, 2005

Mebh posted:

On the subject of NHS privatisation. In most tech jobs it seems private healthcare is now standard here in the UK. I read somewhere that private spending in the UK was pretty much up with the US now per capita. Can't find the source though.

My company gave everyone BUPA with no pre existing conditions disqualification last month. Has anyone else noticed the shift happening too?

It's just not loving possible to wait for the nhs anymore and it sucks, but basically it was becoming my biggest cost per month.

It's also incredibly poo poo. 1k total spending cap for all current chronic conditions. 100 quid excess. No cover for most mental health, diagnosis only not treatment.

My company has had it for ages. Its pretty rubbish, no pre existing, mandatory excess, but at least its cheap per year.
Claiming it requires getting a referral from an NHS doctor. I've not had a problem that couldn't be solved just by visiting an NHS doctor thus far, so I've never had a reason to use it.

My partner had a serious op with the NHS last month, it took months of waiting and kept getting cancelled because there were no beds (Covid, innit?)

When it finally happened though they took such good care of her. God knows what it would have cost private, esp with all the follow up appointments. gently caress me, we'd be fools to let them take the NHS away.

Oct 4, 2005

e: nvm it wasn't that funny

Oct 4, 2005

Night of the living bread

Oct 4, 2005

What is the point of this man?

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SuperBenjiX/status/1539202384529858560

Whos buying these accounts?

Oct 4, 2005

FFS I go away for a week and all the fun kicks off. Fuming.

Oct 4, 2005

Convex posted:

Apparently this is the result of the £200k spent redecorating Boris' flat

https://twitter.com/lokiesteve/status/1545323080507133956

loving hell, its like living inside a clowns rectum.

You know when you've done everything in the sims, have the infinite money cheat and you decide to just build the most garish house you can? Then set it on fire?

Oct 4, 2005

bessantj posted:

That thread made me queasy.

All these years later and I'm still loving furious.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Danacea/status/1546819807827447809?s=20&t=Hls23r6gw5hSqByZNuPfbA

Oct 4, 2005

notaspy posted:

That's Kil'jaeden

Ah you're quite right, someone posted a correction further down:

"It's a common misconception actually this is Kil'jaeden the Deceiver, Lord of the Burning Legion, and Conservative MP of North East Somerset. They do look alike though."

Oct 4, 2005

RandomUserString posted:

Jeremy Corbyn will not have the Labour whip restored while he continues to associate with the Stop the War coalition, Keir Starmer has suggested, saying it was “very clear” those who wanted to be Labour MPs had to be supporters of Nato and reject “false equivalence” between Nato and Russian aggression.

Is this the new line now? He can't be in the club because hes a secret Russian asset?

I hope they're 1 seat short of forming a government at the next election and when they ask him to rejoin Corbyn tells them to pound sand.

Oct 4, 2005

Step 1: Wrap house like baked potato

Oct 4, 2005

Rest of the country is on fire, looks like Mordor out here right now

Oct 4, 2005

Anti-Corbyn Labour officials covertly diverted election funds away from winnable seats, Forde report finds

Who knew?

Oct 4, 2005

gently caress me, is anyone else following this Extinction Rebellion thing on twitter?

They've smashed the windows at News UK, every loving comment is some smug prick saying the same drat thing.

"vandalised glass creates more energy waste & pollution, checkmate libs :smuggo:"

Do people not see that the country is on fire right now?

Oct 4, 2005

3 years later and I'm still loving furious.

How do these bastards live with themselves?

Democracy is just a word to them, the rules dont matter, people dont matter, the loving planet doesn't matter.
Nihilism as policy, spite as the goal.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1546828342317432842

Oct 4, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Kieth should be Miles ahead but the , erm, *checks notes* Tories being absolutely loving useless and presiding over a shitshow is holding him back!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/22/labour-tory-leadership-keir-starmer-conservative

Tragic. After all the horrible things Kweith has done people simply refuse to talk about him.

Burned down the labour party for the insurance only to realize he'd forgotten to take the policy out in the first place.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MyTransitLondon/status/1550484830441422850

Oct 4, 2005

Had a weird one today,

Boomer couple in front of me in the checkouts. They were buying three papers, the mail, the Sunday times and (I think) the sun.
The couple were complaining to the checkout girl about how expensive everything was now and they didn't understand why.
When they left, got chatting to checkout girl, turns out this is her second job.

Lot to unpack there, but the thing that sticks with me the most is that they were buying three papers and still didn't have the first clue what was happening around them. Would have been better informed reading the back of a packet of cat litter.

Oct 4, 2005

I've seen comments that refusal to pay will simply result in your smart meter being remotely switched to pre-pay.

Oct 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

They can remotely switch my taint.

lol, Thanks, I needed that :)

Oct 4, 2005

Phfffffffhahahahaha!

Oct 4, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

1) Vote for the lesser evil. Someone is going to run the government; the less evil, the better.
2) Attempt to improve society in non-electoral ways. Activism, community service, building and supporting non-parliamentary power structures (e.g. trade unions).

This doesn’t seem hard to me. (1) doesn’t feel good for someone on the left. But abstaining, spoiling a ballot, or, in the extreme, voting Tory in pursuit of accelerationism, is tantamount to being complicit in a proto-Fascist party being in power.

They tanked two elections because the leader was left leaning, that should tell you all you need to know about these bastards.

Its not the lesser of two evils, its the same evil with a red rosette.

Oct 4, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For all we love to rag on centrists for being all "better things aren't possible," how is this poo poo any different?

I'm not saying Starmer is going to improve things at all, especially viewed through a purely left-right political axis. At best he might slightly stall the rot.

But in the meantime he represents a group of polite middle class briefcase wankers who at the very least are sometimes possible to shame into doing the right thing re disabilities, minorities & the environment (which as we are seeing with deaths from the 40° heat is no longer an abstract global issue - it disproportionately affects those too poor to afford aircon or moving house).

Compare that to the swivel eyed Tory lunatics who in the face of clear and undeniable evidence of their active, ideological destruction of society, stick their heads in the sand, refuse to listen to "so called experts," put legislation in place to silence charities, and spin ideological bullshit about how either it's not happening, or actually it's good, or the victims deserve it actually.

You're comparing "That guy is going to hunt you down and stab you" to "That guy is not going to try very hard to stop you getting stabbed" and it's completely deranged to call those two things the same.

Like yes, we laugh at the labour controls on immigrations mug. Is that the same thing as an openly fascist home secretary talking about gunboats in the channel murdering refugees? No it loving isn't.

Yes they're both poo poo. No your vote isn't going to improve things. Yes it's better to support parallel power structures. But that parliamentary power structure has control of the army, the police, the legislature etc. Putting the slightly less bad option in charge of it makes the fight against it slightly easier.

The accelerationism argument is absolutely lead-poisoned brain death, because it relies on things getting bad enough for people to overthrow the system. We already have societal breakdown, death, violence hitting the imperial core, mass protest, even riots, and the system endures. How much worse does it have to get for you to see that isn't going to loving happen?

The people giggling about accelerationism and riots are incredibly loving privelaged to be able to sit back and laugh about the kind of social chaos that is going to get a lot of us killed, especially when the end result of it is not going to be a golden age, it's going to be fascism with a small group of leftists sitting in a work camp somewhere rubbing their hands going "Any day now lads, any day now."

I mean gently caress me, it's really something to see the same people who love saying liberalism enables fasism then go on to say they won't be voting to keep a fascist party out, and also the fascists getting in is probably good in the long term actually.

With respect, I disagree.

No, you're not going to get another home sec that is trying to build a wave machine to push migrants back out to sea. Or at least you'd hope not. Starmer et al lack the imagination for that kind of evil.

But the planet is currently on fire, and you're delusional if you think Starmer and his band of middle managers are going to do anything about it. The collapse of the eco system is all that should matter to anyone. We need radical change and we need it now. Anything else is a waste of time.

And I'm sorry, but these bastards spit on democracy. They do not give two shits. After they've bullied and lied and stolen, they have the brass neck to turn around and say "But you're still gonna vote for us, right? Otherwise the other guys will get in." Voting for these shitheads legitimises them, makes it LESS likely we'll ever have left wing policies because they've managed to brand them as unpopular by sabotaging their own elections in the past.

Oct 4, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Who exactly do you plan to vote for in order to get radical change now?

I'm out of options basically, last election there wasn't even a green party candidate standing here so I couldn't even protest vote.

I honestly don't know what to do.

Oct 4, 2005

I miss hedgehogs. Used to get them in our garden every so often.

Haven't even seen one in decades. I assume destruction of habitat + cars took their toll.

Oct 4, 2005

Keith put out some article in the guardian promising a green new deal (neo lib sytle) thats good for business and blah blah blah

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/03/britain-climate-crisis-where-ambition-cop26-tories-labour-green-recovery-plan

Does anyone know if hes had any green inclinations/polices before? Or is this just sounds bites and empty promises because the focus groups have told him people are worried about the planet this week?

Oct 4, 2005

Shyrka posted:

Didn't the Greens specifically say, "If you left Labour then don't try and join us because we don't want anti-semites in our party."?

Terfs too.

All I want are some drat green policies, ya know, before the planet melts.

Oct 4, 2005

Tragedy struck later that day when a meteorite didn't hit the building

Oct 4, 2005

My dad buys the FT, he tells me its the least biased paper.

Last time he forced a copy into my hands it had an article saying Hillary Clinton is part of the 'radical left'.

I put it in the bin.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/KeithKeith83/status/1557257878221750272

Weren't the Tories pushing for less funding for art degrees just this week? Labour trying to push further right then the cons again.

Oct 4, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

Fake Replacement Bang Bus Service.

I laughed far to hard at this and now I'm getting weird looks from people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

You just know theres a scarily high percentage of the population that believe it too

1965917 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 12, 2022