Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

looking forward to this, your post about the intro alone was already better than 95% of posts made about stormblood since its launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I don't know whether ffxiv renaming all of its units of measurements (ilms, yalms, ponze, etc) is very charming or very obnoxious.

I find it charming because it mostly comes off as a way to circumvent classic "fantasy author doesn't understand units/scale" issues (e.g. making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, the Wall being 700 feet tall). Doing CYA on your writing and cutting pedants off at the pass like that is funny to me, and does a lot to forestall boring and pointless internet quibbling. You can't give tedious nerds an ilm, or they'll take a malm.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hancock's sunglasses are great and very important to me because those are the only kind of sunglasses that make any sense on hroth bc of how ears work

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this is the trial that cemented my decision to tank in all new MSQ/normal content. it's never that demanding, so it's easier to watch both mechanics and any cool visuals, plus you have tank privilege for if you ever do mess up. And then every once in a while you get to block Susano's giant sword or LB3 against Alexander.

e: also i doubt it's any kind of reference, but i always thought it was funny that susano's second phase (makes a giant robot out of water around himself) is basically just the same thing as susanoo does in naruto. also wonder if the localization team ever talked about the decision to localize with one o instead of two (as far as I can tell, not knowing much about japanese, the name he has there is スサノオ which looks to me like the name for which the usual translation is susanoo, but i assume that's because they figured susanoo (or 'o or -o) would get you "su-sa-new" instead of "su-sa-no-o" for pronunciation).

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 29, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this sequence hits on two things I think about a lot with stormblood, which are:

1) it's the expansion where I think they really get interested in the WoL as a distinct character as opposed to general heroic stand-in, and this is the first really overt instance of that affecting the plot, though there's probably some earlier stuff I'm forgetting about; and

2) I think it's the expansion that gets most interested in how narrative and game structure/mechanics inform each other. the connection between MMO drudgery (kill 5 bears) and your diplomatic efforts is pretty well-established by now, and the game signals in the ruby sea that it's thinking about it consciously. similarly, having you fight Zenos at multiple levels, with him at 70 (as opposed to on-level, or "???"), feels here like it's building towards some kind of larger point. plus, feeding into the first point, having you lose repeatedly is obviously meant to make both the player and WoL feel anger, frustration, and embarrassment in a particularly competitive way.

obviously people feel lots of ways about this stuff but i think they're both pretty fun things for the game to do! here, i think walking into what a lot of people consider a "stupid" fight was a very fun and deliberate choice, and that the devs anticipate and hope you'll kind of think it's stupid (unlike the WoL, after all, we can see the level numbers), and they're trying to get something out of that friction.

also I just think this is such a fun line. "for the time between the seconds," in particular, since for me at least FFXIV is a game that trains you to think pretty intensely and specifically about time in <2.5 second increments!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Zenos is catnip to the "I can fix him" types.

some of that, but more "i could fix him but he's way funnier like this", i suspect.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 11, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

changing out yda for lyse is honestly hilarious because it's clear they understood when writing hien's stuff that selling the audience on a twentysomething's return and sudden ascension to face of the rebellion requires a lot of effort. pretty much everything about hien (won't return until the people want it, extremely skilled warrior in a culture that prizes martial prowess as a show of virtue, other doman liberation leaders are extremely loyal to him specifically, he participated in the last rebellion and only disappeared because of injury, convenient army of extremely chill unpaid highly-skilled plug-and-play soldiers, sacrifices doma castle—among other things, a clear symbol of his own privilege and security—to win back doma for his people, etc. etc.), and by extension nearly every moment of MSQ from the steppe through the end of doma, is engineered towards making his whole return of the king thing palatable. And it still doesn't work for plenty of players!

but here we are, three levels from 70, and despite devoting patch 3.5 to making yda a new character they haven't really done anything with her. the sudden inclusion of this moment with Conrad gave me the distinct feeling of watching someone really botch the space allocation on their happy birthday sign.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 2, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah I did RDM 50-60 well before I actually hit StB and then I got there and was like hang on red mages don't really mesh with anything going on in ala mhigo aesthetically, which is a bit strange given how much of red mage is the aesthetic

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

As for the dungeon, yeah as someone with no emotional attachment to FFVI I found this dungeon to be a snoozefest when I played through the first time myself.

fwiw as someone WITH an enormous emotional attachment to ff6 I found castrum abania equally a snoozefest. Even the fanservice is boring fanservice.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Transient People posted:

The chat with Raubahn is the scene where she seizes control of her destiny, and her nation's destiny, and becomes a truly great character, and subtly, the follow-up update where she dons the traditional dress is where she starts deciding which pieces of Ala Mhigo to bring forward into the future, and which to leave behind.

if, as the old european artists liked to depict, the state is a body, then in lyse we have a new state, born and raised and trained abroad, literally wearing the clothes of the old for a sense of continuity, authority, and history (and now i'm thinking about the meiji restoration but i don't think that's intentional).

(this is on some level a wording quibble but I think an important one: i'd suggest ala mhigo the nation, in the sense of "a body of people united by geography and culture and custom", has survived through the garlean occupation, and while we can sense it is undergoing an alteration in the (multiracial, meritocratic) resistance, no one has suggested killing it, and a lot of characters from raubahn to m'naago to fordola believe it worth keeping alive. it is ala mhigo the state, a political entity and hierarchy, that is up for debate)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 14, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I mean, I think from Ilberd's POV, he watched the Garlean Empire descend into civil war and the Eorzean Alliance push the XIVth legion out with basically no major casualties or failures, only to halt at baelsar's wall. I don't think it's totally crazy for him to think there exists both the political will and firepower to free Ala Mhigo if he can force the alliance into the right corner.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the thing i like most about MNK overall is that because of the pugilism questline's framing and the transition to the monk jobs, you're fundamentally just someone who's really good at eorzean mma, and unlike some jobs your role in the quests never really gets more complex or plot-relevant than that.

so you meet widargelt, and you accidentally beat him to awakening all seven chakras, not quite because you are more spiritually-inclined, but mostly because you're just that good at mma. and then you meet the shadow sect, and unlock all 14 chakras because you fight for your friends, but also because you're just that good at mma. and then in stormblood you basically just stand aside for most stuff about rhalgr's fist and the politics plotline. you're just widargelt's best bud who's really, REALLY good at mma and is happy to hang out whenever. you're not an ancient master's last pupil, you're not selected by any elementals, you're not resurrecting an ancient art or pioneering a new one. you're just That Good at punching. and that's what class fantasy is really about.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 10, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

urianger or yshtola absolutely should have died in place of moenbryda, as at that point in the story all three fulfilled the same narrative purpose and of the three only moenbryda had a character

but they did an okay job slowly giving urianger literally anything to do, and also killing Y'shtola both times they've run out of things to do with her

controversial opinion and to be clear i think fridging her was a bad choice on almost every conceivable level but I don't think this would've worked much better. Moenbryda's personality was literally just being cooler in every way than the characters you generally hang with (she's smarter than the smart scions, more action-y than Yda, she outdrinks Thancred, she has a Cool Axe) so that you'd be sad when she died. obviously if she lived presumably she would've mellowed and revealed appropriately endearing faults, but as executed she was basically just a textual version of what the warrior of light is already implied to be, and i think would've overlapped with a female warrior of light in unfun ways (meanwhile if you're a dude the many dude scions are all slightly cringe or fail in ways that are both delightful and make them Clearly Not The Protagonist).

e: perhaps the most important way in which she is cooler than all other scions was being Emotionally Normal, which also would have really thrown off everything that followed her

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

For all its faults I think Stormblood from the pre-Ala Mhigo cutscene ("Let no man say we neglected to knock!") through the end is a very fun and very thematically satisfying ending. Zenos fully revealing who he is, the Shinryu fight itself, the suicide, the true Ala Mhigan anthem, it all works really well, imo (save for the technical detail that FFXIV is not a game that can really depict thronging crowds, but that's not the Stormblood team's fault).

I like Zenos a lot! Most people have gotten into what I think works well about him (his voice actor really runs away with it for sure), but I wanted to highlight a moment in this scene I personally really enjoyed:

when I started playing FFXIV I fantasia'd over to hrothgar ASAP after finishing the free trial because I thought it was funny to be like "ah yes, the scions of eorzea, who have many times defended us from the beastmen and their primals, and their hero, a giant beastdude with a tiny primal following him". and of course this is something the game can't account for here, since hrothgar weren't added until 5.0, but at the same time it works perfectly with zenos, who repeatedly calls you a beast and an animal as part of his whole hunt schtick. his second line here was one of the few moments in the game i went "jesus this dude is being fully video game racist to me" at the same time he was trying to friend-murder me and it worked perfectly to draw together all the thematic elements of the expansion into this single fight, and did a lot to establish zenos not as strangely separate from the garlean empire's other representatives that we've seen but as their apex.

having decided that they are superior, and therefore different from others, due to their culture and technology and third eye/no aether control/super tall deal, the garleans divided the world into two categories and arrogated to themselves all the traits they call "civilized" and attributed to their opponents all the traits they view as "savage". in doing so, they have hollowed out their own culture, but this hollowing works towards imperial ends, because it produces men like zenos who can be induced to try to fill the void their culture has left in them and reclaim their full selves through adventurist violence. after gaius's too-pretty praet speech about man "raising himself through conflict" and the lack of a verbal response to his ideology in ARR, it's nice that stormblood literally takes the helmet off the garlean empire to be like, yeah, there's no one cool trick to how these guys do empire, it's just racism begetting violence begetting racism all the way down, war is horrifying and not an advancer of civilizations.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 2, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I wonder how many of the players using the windcaller mullet recognize it as being the hairstyle of Canopus from Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle. Not trying to call anyone out in this thread or anything, I remember it took me seeing the name of the hairstyle to make the connection, even after seeing a guy using wing decorations with the hairstyle. Although frankly I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not because his glam was basically "Angelic Reaper".

well TIL Canopus is not wearing some sort of bizarre birdshaped hood or helmet in ogre battle snes

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

this is slightly askew to the question of how the character is written and the way StB and patches handle him, but for me a lot of the stuff involving lolorito feels like ultimately a concession to the unchanging nature of the MMO world. you can get away with a lot of stuff when there's a statue of you in a key non-instanced MSQ zone and countless random npc lines in ul'dah that hinge on your existence and you're in the CUL quests etc.

e: agreed as well that a lot of the godbert convo probably hits somewhat different if you are writing/reading from the perspective of someone living in a country that considered itself a great power at the turn of the 20th century, then within living memory was horribly scarred by (self-instigated) war and then an extended occupation, that retooled itself into a fairly specialized economic powerhouse in part by closely tying itself to a former enemy. i don't know how, exactly, and i'm not convinced it would be different enough to affect how i feel about the scene, but i know it's gotta be at least a little different than me reading this with only the context of american bootstraps rhetoric.

Hogama posted:

(As a side note, we've actually had Lolorito's unmasked face dating back to the Heavensward short story For Coin and Country wherein the actual discussion about Teledji's finances took place with Nanamo.)

hasn't it been known since minute 1 of ARR, since it's the same face on his statue in vesper bay?

Valentin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 20, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Staggy posted:

Which is more impressive: turning a stuffed toy into a nuanced, sympathetic character or doing the same for an ageless robot?

Both pale next to the true feat: making Cid into a nuanced, sympathetic character :v:

e: but for real I think one of the biggest accomplishments of the omega raid series is revisiting the previous CT and Alex raids via Cid and recasting them as part of a character arc he's undergone since 2.0. For a guy who's around pretty much all the time, the player hasn't been given many reasons to be invested in Cid beyond his divorce (a powerful meme, tbf), and it's fitting that in this raid series that is partly a tribute to FF as a whole series that the game's Cid finally comes into his own

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 12, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i find it very strange because it's not like that guy ever needed to show up. he's not an existing character we were aware of or a loose end who had to be addressed. he shows up to be immediately shuffled off to the side and never referenced again, and even reading it as charitably as possible to the writers it's not clear what having him show up and having hien respond that way is supposed to accomplish

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Honestly, I'd kinda prefer to get Bangaa instead of Hrothgar.

as a hrothgar player i also would've preferred bangaa, it would've been nice for the monster race to be more monstrous. plus then every time zenos etc. is like ah so you have come to snap at me, beast, i would picture a komodo dragon or crocodile and that would be fun.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

there is actually a meaningful difference between a work using the word "love" to describe one relationship versus another, and the correct way to categorize that difference is textual. the fact that "love" itself has a range of expressions and meanings doesn't really change what they chose in that respect. love is specifically invoked between asahi and zenos in a way it isn't in those other instances.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 13, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

hien definitely kinda sucks but it's something the story returns to or at least glances at a fair amount and I appreciate that in the whole sweep of the game, one of our regime changes ends like "yeah, this revolution has been deeply imperfect and we sorta just slapped the old kings kid in there because people recognize him and the most dedicated rebels all loved the old king. he won largely thanks to a foreign mercenary army and a multilateral alliance with other states. we basically just resurrected the old social order without thinking very hard about it. his reign is not quite precarious but it is definitely weak and just barely figuring things out. he is getting a fair amount of stuff visibly wrong." it feels a little cheap to have every country immediately sharply shift towards the norms and values of modern social democracy.

it would be better if they held on to that tone more strongly or there were more chances to push back on him a little, but ultimately I think it's pretty thematically fitting that the restoration of doma both in and out of game ends up being a messy affair that I have some lingering issues with. I don't necessarily think that's intentional, probably I'd rather have had a version that maybe addressed the matter of the procurer slightly differently and didn't revert yotsuyu to childhood and didn't weigh itself down with clunky writing at key points (did you know GOSETSU has a DEAD DAUGHTER), and in general I'd like it if the game stayed further away than this from issues like sexual violence bc even at best I just don't think it has a structure that lends itself to handling those stories well. That said, the issues 4.2/4.3 do imo create an emotional alignment between the way the characters and the player feel at the end of the story, which is a neat little accident.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 15, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

zenos owns (zenowns) and I fully marked out for this moment, as someone who started playing well after 4.3. at the time I was just like, absolutely, bring him back. This is the first villain the game has really managed to make work top to bottom at this point, imo. Gaius really just sort of shows up at the end of ARR suddenly after appearing in like two or three "evil planning" cutscenes, maybe it was marginally more interesting for returners who met him in 1.0. the Pope is just an evil old dude who's most interesting for going "what the gently caress is your DEAL" as he dies. nidhogg is pretty cool imo but characterized primarily by expository conversations other people have about him and, aside from showing up to possess estinien and later ruin aymeric's day, just isn't really present all that much from the WoL's perspective

zenos had an actual recurring presence in the story, multiple fights, fun writing that REALLY kicked into gear like one cutscene before he turns into a dragon and dies, a distinct and colorful relationship to the wol, a pretty comprehensible and well-executed role thematically both in himself and as your foil, and has excellent and entertaining voice acting (which honestly is one of the most important bits). I understand plenty of people were less than enthused by his return, and some of that I get (people who found him genuinely reminiscent of actual stalkers in a way that was not at all fun) and some of it I don't (people who hate forced-loss scenarios in games). But for me, everything in 4.3 involving Mysterious Elezen Centurion's first appearance loving rocked, not least because him going "I have considered being Normal but I have decided it would be preferable to simply be Absolutely Shithouse Bonkers" is fun and suggested to me they were still interested in the ideas raised in his last few cutscenes.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think a big part of the FFT WOTL problem is that it often feels needlessly wordy and suffers badly from the comparison to the (technology-enforced) much punchier, if much spottier, original. "lay down your arms or die clutching them! None shall mourn your passing!" has almost literally the same meaning as "surrender or die in obscurity!" at almost three times the words and half the impact. Similar issue with "tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I" vs "don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God". The retranslated line is obviously conveying a clearer and slightly more subtle meaning, but "blame yourself or God" has a real blunt coldness to it that the translation loses. perhaps it's more accurate, I couldn't say, but it's emotionally different, and the whole script is dogged by the comparison.

also there's no spell lines and that just sucks.

e: on the localization point, it's eternally slightly annoying that people will refer to the FFXIV Japanese script as original or more accurate when the dev team is consistently clear that the Japanese and English scripts are equivalent levels of "source material." especially in upcoming expansions there's some localization choices that I think reflect interesting and different creative choices about the game in English vs Japanese, but any conversation around those points tends to centralize around how the English version "omits" or "mistranslates" parts of the Japanese. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 15, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

one aspect of this lp I have always liked going back to the ARR journals is that you are a very attentive and charitable reader even for storylines many would consider underbaked, and it's interesting and insightful to see that turned to the stormblood raids

Sanguinia posted:

The Auracite spoke?! What the hell is this stuff?

With the last ounce of his strength, Ba'Gamnan recites a chant. His crew surrounds him, begging him to cling to life, but he doesn't notice. Only the Duma matters.

for those who haven't played, ba'gamnan's little speech here is the distinctive and cryptic opening to FF Tactics.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

If there were more points where the Warrior of Light could participate in dialogue, which would result in the player being actively drawn into the conversation as opposed to just sitting by while people talk past them, it might help?

At the very least, verbally swatting Ramza for being racist all the time would be cathartic.

this is 100% what most people mean when they say "I wish the story pushed back on ramza more," imo, they just wanted a chance to say "shut up ramza, jenomis your kid sucks dude." probably doesn't help that the very passive ivalice raid WOL contrasts heavily with the much more active WOL of the MSQ at this time, and ramza/asahi are a particularly instructive example of this.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think in many respects this stuff isn't just retreading the story of FFXII and FFT, though I understand the complaint and am sympathetic to it. They're very close to the originals, but subtly tweaked in ways that make them thematically more simpatico with FFXIV. Will hold thoughts on FFT for a second, but we've already got one big example: substituting Basch with Ba'Gamnan, making the FFXII rabanastre more racially integrated and implicating many of the questions about who we choose to laud as heroes that both the raid series and FFT itself raise.

e: also hw pld isn't that bad (it's pretty bad), the writers just should've been clearer that the whole point is you're the one true knight and the sultansworn are clowns. they're so broken down that they're just fuckin recruiting off the street and they don't even really care who's a good guy. solkzagyl is so obsessed with making a sword glow he was absent when an actual conspiracy threatened the sultana's life, and jenlyns is so hopelessly trapped in his mentor's shadow that he's no better, and both the job stones and the sword make it repeatedly clear that only you (and maybe constaint) are a real knight in this group of failures. HW is already a story in which one noble knight lays down his life for your cause, and another renounces his own father and the church that raised him in the name of what is right, and another loses himself to bloodlust and grief but is saved by his comrades-in-arms. the sultansworn are just some up-jumped bodyguards from a city that has forgotten what honor is. you leave them behind in 60-70 because you do not need (have never needed) them.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 23, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

It's probably not what they "meant" but given that it's almost impossible to divine what we were intended to derive from the story, I think it's a fair reading. The sultansworn are a knightly order (and the class name in Japanese is knight, not paladin, and at no point are religious values or anything invoked) that has fallen so far that they'll take any mercenary off the street, like you, to carry on their martial tradition (you're explicitly not picking up their beliefs, values, or loyalty to the sultanate). The political conspiracy is out of focus because it's fundamentally a story about how jenlyns has lost his way, because you, a random sellsword, are the true defender of eorzea because your only goal is defending the weak, while he has become dragged down by ul'dahn politics because he has over-invested in the sultansworn as an institution.

then the HW story is about constaint, a true budding knight, who nearly gets sidetracked by solkzagyl's shortsighted and bizarre adherence to the trappings rather than truths of knighthood. as to why it's not a story about a knight-errant aiding the people and defending the realm, that's what you do literally all the time in MSQ. The PLD stories are reminders of the follies of loyalty to people and things and not to your own values and principles, and reaffirm the rightness of your way of living as a simple knight-errant not in service to any king or creed.

I don't think there's anything in the quests to confirm or contradict that reading, really. jenlyns and solkzagyl get off unpunished because a belief in their sincere intentions and ability to better themselves is appropriate for the questline's light tones. they're basically chivalry comedies about the dumb sultansworn bros, to me (hw more than arr).

If you want a cool HW PLD narrative it exists in how you watch the ishgard knights link shields and do passage of arms during the first steps of faith, have haurchefant die in your arms trying to protect you, are rejoined by him at the final steps of faith, then develop passage of arms in your own right at 70, your shield forever metaphorically supported by the ghosts of your fallen comrades. It's cheating a little because I think the passage of arms bit is only in the new version of steps of faith but shh.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 23, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

thancred is very easy to explain: the lifestream may have taken away his ability to manipulate aether, but it didn't so much as touch that dog in him

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I understand the concern that making the empire the result of an evil purple wizard undermines the rest of the critique of imperialism, but personally I always felt that having it come up here, at the end of stormblood, did a lot to soften that blow. at least to me at the time (I played through the patches more or less consecutively because I played through later), it felt less like "this empire is evil because it was founded by a powerful evil wizard" and more like "this powerful evil wizard made an empire because he knows empires are inherently depraved engines of extraction and immiseration."

still made me go a little ehhh as a reveal, but after an expansion all about empire literally and figuratively hollowing people out and turning them into monsters in pursuit of ends that are ultimately explicitly stupid and violent and nihilistic I can see how they wouldn't be worried about undercutting "life outside the metropole: the expansion" with this wizard twist

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm FOREVER indignant that there's no prin minion

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

It's really funny tracing their increasingly light and casual approach to dailies through the tribe quests, and Ixal to Moogle to Namazu is one of the clearest demonstrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

vagrant story expansion

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

I have massive issues with how this storyline handles Final Fantasy Tactics's plot. Specifically, it's treatment of Ramza and Delita, and having them be all best friends here.

This is the final scene of Final Fantasy Tactics, and also the tragedy that befell Ovelia, and it should hopefully speak for itself.

The WHOLE POINT of Delita's storyline in FFT is that, after spending the entire game backstabbing his way into supreme power, his reward was a hollow life on the throne, beloved by all but ultimately loved by none, to live miserably to the end of his days as penance for his sins! It serves as a stark contrast to Ramza ending happy and free but reviled by the people for his opposition to the Church. Adding this onto that as a final note just ruins the story! Gaaaaaaaaargh! No, this isn't fanservice Matsuno, having your two protagonists make up isn't going to please anyone who played Tactics because one of them is a real bastard!

Eh, I think it's pretty fun and treating this like a "final note" on that story is attributing way more importance to it than it warrants. like part of the way the FFT integration works here is that it goes kind of out of its way to deliberately not spoil FFT, and it does that by being taking as its premise "what if FFT happened about 20% differently?", with the conclusion "it would still be a bummer with lots of historical cover stories bc I yasumi matsuno would still be writing it". I don't think it's any kind of real commentary on FFT itself.

also it's absolutely fanservice when the sworn brothers driven apart by fate reconcile in a different timeline even if their story still ends tragically, lots of people love that. especially if one of them is a real bastard!

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

There's nothing like a meeting of the Alphinaud Bullying Club to lighten the mood.

i mean god imagine that you and your twin get into harvard at 11. you already feel weird about it; you're at harvard at 11 and everyone knows who your grandpa is. then on the very first day of class he's like "i'm going to save the world and everyone on it". i mean, the target that would put on your backs. you probably make fun of him for it for years and years after.

then imagine less then a decade later you split up with him while traveling for your study abroad and while you're separated he saves the world twice. loving horrendous. that's a lifelong sibling L you can never overcome.