Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

A revolting, abominable institution.
I honestly, truly believe there is no way out of this mess for the US. This is one of many explicitly religious decisions they're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DeSantis has the same fascist beliefs as Trump only he actually works hard to destroy the lives of the people he governs... and I expect the people of Florida like him.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mustang posted:

In what universe does DeSantis look "moderate"? I don't think you can wage the culture wars to give red meat to their base of degenerates and still claim any semblance of moderation.
Trump is in the news for saying outloud racist, sexist, and fascist things and idiotic mouth-vomit that turns off a lot of "moderate Republicans" (in quotes because there actually is no such thing). DeSantis is not in the news for these things, so DeSantis looks moderate by comparison, and he will attract these people.

You also need to remember that despite Trump being Trump openly and publicly, almost half the voters voted for him and he got more voters the second time.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Democrats are conservatives*, I hope this explains why some people are seeing it worthy to blame Democrats.
Yes, the parties are exactly the same, which must be why all Democratic justices are pro-abortion and all Republican justices are anti-abortion, and all states keeping abortion rights are Blue and all states removing abortion rights are Red, and....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sephyr posted:

"We only had 3 months of majority! We only had 2 months of warning that roe was doomed!"

Think of what the GOP achieved just this week. Religious schools stuck on the public money pipeline. State gun laws nixed from above. Abortion ended.

And.....

-drum roll-

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1540339880626102273
This is not new? Hasn't this been talked about since the opinion was released?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rigel posted:

You generally* shouldn't presume bad or evil motivations when a more likely explanation is ignorance or apathy.

*This rule of thumb does not apply to Republicans.
But both ignorance and apathy lead to the same result as actively voting for Republicans, so what is the difference?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SCOTUS just ruled that school officials can lead prayers at schools.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

What’s the inference here? That they’re trying to give people bad advice? I can’t imagine very many of their viewers menstruate. Most probably never did.
Republican politicians watch Fox News. They're informing those Republican politicians on what to specifically target when they go after contraceptives.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

haveblue posted:

It makes it harder for them to do their jobs, and significantly harder to address the climate crisis, but it isn't an instant dissolution of every administrative agency like was feared
It basically says that Congress has to give them explicit approval for regulations, which is in reality an impossibility with the goal of the Republicans to get rid of regulations. And the court knows it's impossible.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

haveblue posted:

Which is still better than the expected ruling of "Congress is not allowed to delegate regulating authority, full stop. All regulations not in the form of laws passed by Congress and signed by the president are void immediately."
They are void until Congress says otherwise, yes? How much faith do you have in Congress?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

haveblue posted:

I'm not a lawyer and haven't read the decision but the reaction from people who have is that the only thing that gets immediately invalidated is the EPA's CO2 authority. Other regulations are now *more* vulnerable to challenge but still in effect until that challenge actually happens
I mean, won't Republican states immediately start challenging a bunch of regulations, not even just from the EPA, that now will likely be made void due to this ruling, and we're back to what I said about relying on Congress?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Unfortunately, right now the democrats are in complete control of the... legislative branches....
Are they? There are two - Manchin and Sinema - who technically have a D next to their name but don't support most of the same positions.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes a good chunk of GOP voters are fascists too and this is also a very very bad thing.

But not all of them know they are fascists. The hearings are making a bit of this go on:

Any polls out showing that Republicans are less likely to vote for Republicans in the Midterms because of the hearings?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mulva posted:

And yours does exactly the opposite for mass shootings.
You are able to see the graph, yes? Not sure you actually understand the data points and trends here.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remain unconvinced that people are regularly (or even almost ever) hitting 1000/mo utility bills while living on minimum wage livelihoods.
Yeah, it is bullshit for sure.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Clinton loving lost to Trump, she's never running again. It's shameful and embarrassing, and nobody serious is actually pushing for her.

And it would be in everyone's best interest for her to shut up forever.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The SCOTUS ruling on the North Carolina independent legislature case next term may make a possible future Democratic President null and void anyway.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Susan Collins says she will be "forced" to oppose gay marriage if Democrats pass the reconciliation bill next week.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1552740956738359296
I didn't trust her to actually vote for it any way.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Riptor posted:

How about ones that win
So Biden again?!?!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Sure it will die in the Senate but it will force Republicans to go on the record.
Why do people think getting Republicans "on the record" has any effect?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MadJackal posted:

Half the country is shouting LOCK HER UP for a private email server a decade ago while the former governor of the most solidly Blue state in the country is making GBS threads out a compromise tweet about "inconsequential archives."
He probably does the same thing that Trump did. He's worried they can just go after anyone for this now.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Did they actually recover the documents? I see that they sought them but not that they found them.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How many Matterings has this been so far? As big of a deal as this seems, I won't get hopeful until he is in cuffs.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

some great data on Drone strikes year to year, and how Biden has significantly ramped down the use of drone strikes.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1559257494341488644
Thanks, this is good news.

Although, the Trump Admin just stopped reporting drone strike figures... so how accurate are those numbers?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

He is a relatively low profile billionaire who owns a surge protector company....
It's a protection racket.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They caught the mass shooter and took her alive in Atlanta.

It was a black woman who owns her own accounting firm and is in her 30's. Which is a very rare demographic mix in just about every category for a mass shooter.
drat, that is unusual.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Star Man posted:

So how royally pissed off is the debt forgiveness going to make people that paid their poo poo off before the pandemic? That's where the real outrage is going to come from.
I'm glad I did it. I got 2 years of debt free living by paying it off. I'm glad it will help some other people feel that same relief.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Did Dems finally realize if they do things for people they get votes?
We'll see how they perform in November. I hope they have something positive happening consistently for the next 2.5 months to keep the good news flowing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rappaport posted:

He's weird about food because of his germaphobia. He thinks McDonald's is less likely to be compromised. Somehow.
Mcdonald's actually does have stricter cleanliness and food safety protocols than the government requires, and has a good track record compared to other restaurants.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

DOJ has already reviewed everything anyway, right? Or does this change something?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Takin' Juul to Schuul.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Farewell, Queen, we salute you!

to be very clear I am not nazi saluting her I'm making fun of her racist piece of poo poo family and her nazi salute
Which one is she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

yeah, I'd rather not have the government poking around in my medicine cabinet.
New thread title?