Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Picking up learning again after doing a big dumb 12 years ago and selling the guitar I had. Finger stretching exercises are gonna be my life for the next month+ because lol my range of motion is trash. Having a blast though, need to re-string and do a full setup which is later today most likely. THIS TIME I'll actually do thing.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Plank Walker posted:

If you're getting back into it, I recommend going whole hog and getting the Berklee Modern Method book, the first like 4 pages will be easy, just C scale in open position. Like 10 pages in they hit you with the "First Solo" (solo as in unaccompanied, playing bass and melody simultaneously, not like shredding a solo) and later on a series of chord etudes that will force you to learn triad shapes and changing between them. The scale patterns and the way they're laid out will also train finger stretching. Plus, you'll learn to read sheet music for guitar.

I wish I had picked it up earlier, having bounced around between Justin Guitar modules with no sense of direction and learning songs randomly. It's structured really well for progression: e.g. you'll get one piece with like a single xx431x triad shape, with a nice easy transition, and then 5 pages later you'll be playing that shape multiple times with varied transitions.

Only "downside" is that none of the songs are rock but you can always look up tabs for songs you want to play in addition to doing the book work.

Or just get an instructor

I appreciate this, and I may as well get it tbh. More info is always useful and I like bouncing around to different resources so thank you!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Book, and others, acquired. Guitar is in the shop and I'll either get it back today or tomorrow. Hopefully today as I really don't wanna miss a day of practicing but oh well if not I suppose. I'm a habitual gear idiot, but I know it's practice that's going to make me good, everything else is just for flavor. I've got extra time I could be using to do that today so it kinda sucks to not get to utilize it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: everything

I can read music still (mostly), I just really need to put my mind to tabs because I do want to be able to read them as well. I've always been a filthy percussionist but I wanted to try strings for forever.

I wish I had woodworking tools, but that's a cost I'm not willing to eat currently along with getting better at woodworking. I'm an adult without the adult money lol, but I do have time on my hands.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's the goal tbh. I will forever regret not doing this the right way last time, but life was getting in the way at that point so it is what it is.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, my guitar had some other issues so I told them to just go ahead and fix it. Needs leveling and to fix part of the fretboard, in the meantime I guess I'll order the pickup I want so when I restring it next time I can install it. Buuuuuut, I'm really glad I had them give it a good lookover since I honestly don't know that part of things. At least I can do the electronics myself, that'll save me in the long run if I want to tinker a bit.

Y'all weren't kidding about the book, that's a lot of neat info in there though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Helianthus Annuus posted:

spotted among the b stock baddies: this guitar https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-instruments-bto-doheny-miami-blue-hula-art-by-clee-sobieski

EDIT: ATTN lefties -- they also have an 8.1 lb lefty strat for under 1700, and they say it's actually A stock, not B stock.

That thing is baller

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hedonism Bot posted:

I built a Tele kit over the New Year and used a few coats of Danish oil on the maple neck. I used 400 grit wet/dry when applying the 2nd and 3rd coats of oil to it. The neck feels great. I considered doing a couple of coats of wipe-on poly but decided to just stick with the cured Danish oil for now.

I love how this looks, holy drat.

Well I got mine back and immediately broke the volume pot taking the knob off to check the shaft length, which whatever I was replacing it anyway but ughhh. Although once my parts come in I'm done modifying it for a while. The soldering inside is some of the worst I've seen in a while so I'm more than happy to un-gently caress the wiring for good. I wish I could paint worth a drat, it'd be fun to throw some designs on the body.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

New humbucker is finally on the way here, should be able to install it, shield the cavities, and re-wire the jack next week at the latest. That's all the internal stuff handled, I need to sort out the strap locks but that's just a matter of finding where the hell I put my wood glue again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ColdPie posted:

OH MAN I'm super proud of this. I finally got a decent recording of myself playing "Home" by Andrew York. I finished memorizing this piece well over a year ago, and I've been working on polishing it and trying to record a good performance and I finally did it! This is one of the pieces that convinced me to learn classical guitar in the first place, I'm thrilled to be able to play it this well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQWFAGXv44A

Super nice, congrats!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Echoing the audio technica cans, I grabbed a used pair of the same series for cheap and they're drat nice.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, I need to fix the ground to the bridge as well as re-seat the bridge posts, the more I look the more stuff I find that the previous owner of this thing either ignored or bubba'd hard. On the one hand I like that by the time I'm done I'll have done a lot of stuff to personalize it, on the other I could've done the same thing cheaper just buying from somewhere else. Oh well, we'll see what else happens.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So, finally got the electronics sorted out. I forgot to take pics but what I have is good enough I suppose.

poo poo pic, but the bubba'd condition I got it in:

Needed new strings, truss rod adjustment, cleaned, frets leveled, etc. Then I look inside to find this:

gently caress. So ordered a new pot and knob along with the pickup I wanted. Ground wire to bridge was borked as well as every solder joint in the thing. Took all the guts out, bridge posts and bridge removed and cleaned, re-seated the left post anchor since it was lifting a little so the newspaper trick was what I went with. 18 more hours and I can put that under tension. Re-wired the entire thing, checked it all with the multimeter, good to go on that side of things. Put it back together and this is where it's at until tomorrow:

Cosmetic damage aside, it's in good shape now. I might replace the tuners next time I string it, they're a little worn but fine otherwise. Only other issue I ran into was the store in town didn't have the exact EB strings I've been using, but at least had the same hybrid type from them so good enough. So long as nothing else pops up I should be able to get it back up and running in the morning and hopefully not have to intonate or adjust the rod again, but if so it'll be fine. Then I'll get the pickup height set and I'll be back to practicing thankfully. After I clean it ofc.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

moon demon posted:

Yep, Basement’s haunted

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've got one of those for my electric as well, and that's exactly what it's for: remote reading. Except they don't have it on the water meters so they still have to have a dude walk around to get those manually lmao. No idea if it's causing me any issues since I have other things in the house that are imposing noise.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Very nice, very veery nice!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

landgrabber posted:

it's actually me doing your mom thats imposing all the noise

Oh, well carry on then, just stop eating all my totinos pizzas :bahgawd:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MrMojok posted:

Struggling, struggling, struggling to not spend money on a 32 year-old Peavy predator.

I bought this new in a music store in 1992. Played it for about a year, then my wife at the time bought me an American Strat as a surprise, so I gave the Predacaster to my Dad.

Even though the Strat was objectively a nicer guitar, I really missed the Peavey. The neck felt so much better to me.

The Strat is now long gone and after many years I decided to start playing again. Dad had quit, so he gave the Predacaster back to me.

It’s got a fantastic setup and just feels soooo good. But I keep feeling tempted to put money into it.

I could maybe get $200 for this thing by selling it, yet I want to put better tuners on it and also change the bridge pickup to a nice humbucker, and get a different colored pickguard.

Please, somebody, talk some sense into me. For the money I’d spend on these things, I could instead just save towards buying a new Fender Player Plus, or something.

Would you be happier tinkering with the peavey to get it where you want it and be all personalized, or do you just want something to work mostly out of the box?

E: seconding what trilobite said, you've got history with the guitar, do what feels right ignore the cost memories are cool

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Armacham posted:

Hell yeah those rule

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Baron von Eevl posted:

My practice space is exactly 149,896,229 meters wide, what of it. The nice thing is 10 days later when the echo reaches me I can listen back to my performance.

I'm gonna need the specs of that half stack you're using to crush the inverse square law beneath your riffs

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Picking up a nice used Peavey 212 in about an hour, maybe next year I'll grab a tube amp to replace this solid state I'm using currently. Next restring I'm replacing these worn out tuners, maybe the bridge as well if I can find a good deal on that too. My hand dexterity is getting much better this month, the practice is going well and the little shop in town has openings for classes so hopefully I can slide in this coming month.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Any of you used ratio tuners? I've seen good reviews around but goon brain trust supercedes random internet people for me. Found some on sale but I don't wanna pull the trigger yet since I'm waiting for next string change to do it and a couple other things all at once.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

internet celebrity posted:

I have the locking ones and they're the best tuners I've ever used. I put the bottom 6 tuners of a 7 string set on my Bass VI because regular guitar tuners are way too low of a gear ratio for bass register. When I have my hard tail plate on it stays in tune for weeks, +/- like 3-5 cents. Feel super solid to turn, lock down easily, 10/10 imo. I wish they had better looking tips though.

Appreciate it, definitely moving to locking tuners either way but that's the info I needed for sure. The tuners I have currently are crap stock and worn out, unsurprisingly. The whole mounting plate thing is a big bonus imo.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wow that sounds good, nice trade, hope when you pull the board it's all in good order!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddamn I gotta stay away from reverb, there's decent deals that I don't need mixed in with the ones I do lol. About to start lessons soon so I'm not all spastic with my practice finally.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Could get banjo picks as well, but then you have to play dueling banjos at least once

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

After a few months now of using it, I'm underwhelmed by solid state amps. Not time to move to tubes, but will eventually. It's definitely been a learning experience and I really wish I'd have picked better in the first place. :argh:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I should have specified, the peavey is just a 2x12 cab. Maybe I should buy 2 katanas and stack them, that must be better than just 1!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a version that you can plug into any sized cab you want

Oh, I have nothing against them, I just want something not that is all. It's not that important, just wishful thinking because dumb lizard brain go brrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ethanol posted:

I can do a 9 lb lp but there is some critical mass between 9 and 10 lb where it suddenly feels way heavier. I had to get rid of a 10 lb lp. Perception of weight is weird.

Makes sense, weird is the right term for sure.

The dirtlock is coming along nicely, just waiting on a couple of parts and some cosmetic work and it's finally done. Good project and a nice break for my hands lol.