Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I never understand how those wackos draw the line. Why doesn't it also cure cancer, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Yaldabaoth posted:

They have to keep quack medicine limited to stuff that can be cured by the placebo effect to make it more convincing to rubes.

wrinkles? warts?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Yaldabaoth posted:

Today I learned that a chinese author wrote a series of sci-fi books called The Three Body Problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ye02qGiKKY

It's as horrific as you would expect from an author who's lived in China all his life.

one of my favorite sci-fi serieses of all time, it's loving great, and if I recall correctly basically jumpstarted the creative juices for sci-fi of an entire continent. If you like sci-fi probably don't watch that video and just read it. Netflix is adapting it for $$$$$.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Warm Fish Salad posted:

My in-laws received this cursed image in the mail the other day

if you think this is cursed, there's an entire world of content about 50+ people just trying to have fun for you

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BasicLich posted:

i can see it going either way, it could just as easily mean "check out the bullshit those badass gays fought through"

That's all I read from it, and it's a good point. Call me an optimist, I guess.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Waltzing Along posted:

Doesn't look like the peyote pics I've seen, even if it is big. No flowers, different color.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pey...tZw&sclient=img

it's a Lophophora williamsii, aka peyote cactus, that has a mutation making it "crested" and would have to be very old to be this large. You can see one of the heads that grew un-mutated near the bottom center. Crested cacti are funky like that.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 25, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I had never heard of this but it's a real thing, I have learned. Super fascinating but it's not like you just have more fingers, more like you have the dexterity of your one thumb spread into 4 digits instead, and probably not fun to have as a person.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have been seeing that picture for like 20 years now and it is still a little funny. I think I might have actually asphyxiated if I had encountered that ad in its original context when totally unprepared for comedy

If you saw that ad in the wild, it probably would have been in a medical supply catalog with lots of other things that seem horrifying to people that don't have to euthanize rats on the daily.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Crab Dad posted:

Donner as in a very donner party dinner for Christmas?

yep, we have a bunch of stuff named after them. Lake, Pass, a town, etc.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Queen Gnome posted:

Pretend I have that toilet paper comic on hand

I remember when this was posted on reddit and for some reason the overwhelming consensus was that you'd get piss all over the toilet paper roll. You know, because you normally piss all over the front of your toilet.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

limp_cheese posted:

Ash vs Evil Dead had something like this but I think it might be too much, even for this thread.

Content warning for penis and something that is kind of hard to describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSELcEjlcU

knew exactly what scene this was going to be before clicking. It's fun to read the content warnings on IMDB for this show, basically every episode says "the most violent episode so far".

not up the the butt!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

When I was traveling all the time for work bedbugs were always a concern. I started packing a UV flashlight to inspect the hotel rooms before settling in.

Usually that just led to other unsettling discoveries.

Also:
https://twitter.com/AvrahamCooperMD/status/1643403684502552576?t=nyGdDr6LLMH5v--ybK6QvA&s=19

The video of this is wild. Imagine your aorta so confused that you could accidentally kill yourself by sleeping on your stomach the wrong way.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I bet that hurt like hell, but I think if it'd had hit one of the main facial nerves, that dude would have passed out

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

DandyLion posted:

Ok is nobody gonna say anything about the banana shirt?!

Sure. It's a cool shirt.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I'm guessing that's the Canonita in Las Vegas, they had a ~$100 food coupon or something, and the tip calculator thing ignores discounts

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Konar posted:

It's a fancy dressing up of the classic "I'm sorry you felt offended" lovely apology

The ego here is crazy

you basically have to have a huge ego to ever even think "I should be a CEO", so that's nothing surprising. It's sort of like the concept that nobody who actually wants to be president should probably be the president.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Waltzing Along posted:

Does anyone else value his time at 5k an hour? He must be pretty wealthy to make 200k a week. 10 million a year.

he has to account for the loss of time in which he thinks about minor sleights with everything he does

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

knuthgrush posted:

This is a pretty normal child's skull, right? Or are there usually less permanent teeth under there?

EDIT: maybe that's hyperdontia?

yeah if this freaks you out, probably don't google "child skull teeth"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Olewithmilk posted:

Is there a go-fund me I can give money to so this guy can get some surgery or something. jesus christ.

I had the exact same reaction. Poor dude.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I realize you guys are joking, but the number of people that think they've discovered some "hack" with self checkouts to pay less boggles my mind. It's just theft.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

that's actually cool as hell, but I love MRI imagery that shows motion

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Woah the nose is there is just out of focus

Is it an artifact or is that the vitreous humor flowing around in there

MRIs look at slices, and for this person the nose slice is different from the eye slice. I'm sure if you went half an inch down or up you'd see nose, because it does show up in an MRI.

As for your second comment - the vitreous humor is definitely flowing around in there, but you're probably seeing ocular muscles twitch into the plane of focus for just a second as the eye moves around.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

McGavin posted:

It's definitely white cut chicken. I have it pretty frequently and it would absolutely be better without the bones.

for whatever reason in SE Asia they like picking around bones to eat stuff, and for most Europeans / Americans it's really annoying.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
she might just be goofing around, I dunno. I'd have to see the resulting video to know. Right now I'm leaning towards goofing.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm about 50% between "yep being a kid is tough, that happens" and "this sounds bizarre and I need you to explain yourself"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

davidspackage posted:

Is McConnel having a stroke here, cause I don't think that's cursed

I loving hate the guy, but I really hope he went to the hospital after this because yeah. That's very strokey.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I don't mean to be ageist, but maybe we shouldn't choose to have geriatrics hold the most powerful jobs in the world.

yeah but we care so much about experience which only comes from age, unless it's a dumb poo poo that promises we don't have to ever think twice about saying or doing anything

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Assuming this is real, goddamn, dudes need to get a term like "massager" that is way more succinct than "banana cleaner"

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Android Apocalypse posted:

Very bold of you to think Musk won't self-insert into your childhood favorite stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfiRd4Y5z_g
Not saying Iron Man 2 is a favorite of mine, but this poo poo has been happening for a while.

it's important to note this was before we all knew he was a dickwad, or even all knew who he was

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
specifically what are now known as "wood ear" mushrooms, and were inexplicably known as either "Jews ear" or "Judas's ear" before, because of probably lovely reasons

quote:

A further change of name to "jelly ear" was recommended in the List of Recommended Names for Fungi.[2] The idea was criticised by the author Patrick Harding, who considered it "to be the result of political correctness where it is not necessary", and who "will continue to call [the species] Jew's ear", explaining that, while anti-Semitism was commonplace in Britain, the name "Jew's ear" is in reference to Judas, who was a Jew.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

PainterofCrap posted:

That's sublime

:dumbbravo:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
what is wrong with my brain where I see Maggot Lake and think "not so bad, just maggots doing maggot stuff" and yet insane tapeworm train is borderline nightmare inducing

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

maybealabia posted:

That is clearly fruit QUAKE flavored

FRUIT SLAM???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7dfadKuuw

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I haven't seen the show in so long that it just looks weird to see the animation in tack-sharp quality

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

cult_hero posted:

As an ignorant Yankee, am I to understand that sweet tea is just tea steeped in simple syrup?

it's basically using tea as a supersaturated solution for sugar. I'm pretty sure if you let it get cold and smack the glass it'll form rock candy.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

as far as completely nonsense youtube cooking channels go, you've gotta love Guga and his positivity. I'm sure as hell never going to try either of those but they don't go too youtubery with it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

chienandalusia posted:

I used to be an adventurer like you

Asian roots and herbs. Try it. You won't regret it.

what's Lignum?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

emSparkly posted:

gently caress the FDA. Opiates and cocaine are wonder drugs that would help me so loving much right now but they’re all outlawed as an excuse to try and arrest more black people for their possession.

I believe the DEA is the department to complain about in this case, but I could be wrong because drug scheduling seems to be intentionally complicated to prevent anyone from yelling at a specific agency

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Cosmik Debris posted:

The gently caress is a male living space

you would think it's just a bunch of bro-y bedrooms with poo poo like black comforters and underlights on the bed, but it's actually just a subreddit full of people with Eames chairs in their hipster record listening nook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
this is a quality page