Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Rollos posted:

An important thing to note with stuff like this is to always check the price tag. If it has an asterisk it means the product won't be restocked.

This is true like 85% of the time but there are rare times where an item has an asterisk on the sign but it doesn't go away forever or at all. Here are a couple examples:

Seasonal items will go away and have the asterisk on the sign, but when the season comes back around the item gets brought back. A good example of this right now is soup. Soup items that they got rid of months ago are starting to trickle back in to my Costco as fall approaches.

And sometimes they get rid of an item but replace it with almost the exact same thing. So if you see the asterisk on the sign of your favorite item that Costco always has like cereal or granola bars or something, they might just be getting rid of that specific item number and replacing it with the same exact thing but a different size or count of the item. Like, a 45 count package of granola bars getting replaced with a 48 count package, and because of that, Costco designates the new item with a new item number and a new price. So you'll see the asterisk on the old one because technically they will no longer be carrying that specific item, but they won't tell you "don't worry, we're just replacing it with a bigger package so it won't really be going away".

Also, due to the supply chain being so messed up right now, sometimes they'll get rid of an item but will still have it on order from ages ago. Sometimes the 'deleted' item actually does get restocked, and sometimes it doesn't.

One more thing. Different Costcos sometimes carry different items, even if they are very close to each other. So if one store gets rid of an item you like, check other Costcos in the area if there are any. Just because one Costco stopped carrying an item doesn't mean the one 15 miles away from there stopped carrying it as well.

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Got this at Costco the other day and I can't wait to try them. Even if I don't like them, $18 is an insane value.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Several years ago I bought a nice leather sectional with multiple recliners. One of the seats seems to have a defect where the wires to the controls (located on the side of the cushion against the armrest/cup holder/storage thing) keep breaking and even after I re-solder them they disconnect again making the recliner useless.

I don’t have the documentation anymore and not sure what the manufacturer is, let alone the model. Any suggestions on how to contact them to get this fixed? It hasn’t been that many years where this normal wear and tear would be expected and I’m pretty unhappy.

I’m also not thrilled with the idea of lugging a giant sectional back into Costco to return it, since it’s been so long. I feel bad about returning things after a year or two.

You can try going to the returns desk at Costco and ask them to look up the purchase in their system. They can at least get the item number for it which should hopefully tell you what the manufacturer is.

Or if you want to save yourself a trip to the returns desk, and don't mind having a Costco employed goon looking into it, I can get you that info myself. If you're interested feel free to shoot me a PM.

Normally I'd say that your best bet is to just lug the whole thing in and return it. But then you have to buy a new one to replace it and you'd be looking at inflation prices which are not good right now with furniture. If you can get it fixed it might save you at least a few hundred bucks.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I did some digging into my photos and had happened to take pictures of the boxes when I had bought them. Turns out it is this one:

https://www.frugalhotspot.com/2019/07/costco-parker-power-reclining-sectional/

This may give me enough of a lead to see if I can find support on it. Bought it in July 2019. I feel like I would need divine absolution and pay penance at the food court for returning something so far back, but it’s really making me unhappy. If I cannot get a proper repair on this, is a 3+ year return on heavy furniture something likely to put a black mark on my Costco account like I’ve heard happens to people who abuse the policy?

You should be fine returning it. They have a very generous return policy for a reason. It is true that they put a black mark on accounts that abuse the return policy, but it only comes to that if you're an obvious repeat offender, especially with electronics. If this is just one isolated incident of returning an expensive item then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just tell them that you're very unhappy with it and you believe the product should last longer than it has.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

What does a black mark on your account do? Will they remove your membership?

They just put a note in your account, basically saying the professional equivalent of "this guy sucks". They can cancel memberships if they think it's necessary, but it's pretty rare and only happens to people who repeatedly and obviously abuse the return policy or throw one of those early pandemic I REFUSE TO WEAR A MASK tantrums. Costco does not like canceling memberships and will do anything in their power to keep you from doing it, because membership fees are where they make most of their money, it's 100% profit for them.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Psion posted:

did you make an appointment for the booster or just walk in and ask, i'm hearing mixed things about which approach is more likely to work

probably because supply is so variable there is no one "correct" answer but hey, whatever

You can probably walk up and get it but you might have to wait a bit, it's definitely better to schedule an appointment. You can fill out most of the info online so that makes it a little faster. Pharmacies have staffing issues just like any other place. All the walk ins they get put more stress on them on most days where they already have too much on their plates.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
For all you SE Michigan goons, a business center is opening in Southfield next year.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
They used to have a rising crust pepperoni pizza that was awesome, but they replaced it with the thin crust one. It's okay, the pepperonis are still good, but I'm just not a big fan of this crust pizza.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

speaking of beer, they had pallets of beer advent calendars right inside the entrance yesterday

Those things are terrible. There's only like 3 of them in there are decent and the rest are total garbage. I like the idea of a beer advent calendar, but don't waste your money on this one.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I had on 128 degrees last week on the golf course. Shorts, underwear, under shirt, and polo. Currently I'm at 96 degrees with shirt, underwear, and sweat pants.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Argyle posted:

It works better for sicilian/pan pizzas that actually cook well at like 450-500.

Back home in Michigan there was this bakery with take-and-bake sheet pan pizzas. They were BOMB. The pepperoni grease would drip down around the dough and kind of fry it crisp in the oven. So good.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Where was that?

I'm also curious what place you're talking about because that's exactly how I would describe the place I would go to all the time and still do when I visit my parents. The Livonia Italian Bakery has the best take and bake pizzas I've ever had.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was told the reason for chicken bakes coming in frozen now is so they're consistent with quality. Before they could either be real good or real lovely depending on who was making them. I'm sure it's actually about money, but that was the reason I was given. In fact, everything served from the food court comes in frozen except for the hot dogs and the cheese.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

frogbs posted:

Guess i'm gonna have to get a chest freezer now!

I already threw away the moldy muffins, do they need to see them for a refund? I might just take it as a cautionary muffin tale for next time.

I'm pretty sure the muffins and bagels have no preservatives in them which is why they have a very short shelf life. If you don't freeze them you have eat them quick.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The increase in prices is definitely more noticeable at Costco than it is at regular grocery stores. A bottle of body wash might cost you a dollar more at Kroger, but at Costco it's like $3 more because you're getting 3 bottles instead of one. I don't think Costco has increased what little markup they have on the items they sell, they just charge more because they're being charged more by the manufacturers. Inflation sucks and there's nothing we can do about it as consumers.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Ror posted:

If you're just eating a bar of chocolate then I totally understand not being into dark chocolate and preferring milk, it's like preferring a lager over a dark beer. Just different main flavor notes.

But pretty much any super sugary candy product doesn't really need milk chocolate if it has other sweet stuff, you usually don't get any bitter notes. The Sanders dark chocolate caramels are a great example of that, as are the dark chocolate coconut almond things. I don't think I would have thought they were dark chocolate products if they weren't labeled that way.

I've never had them but apparently the Trader Joe's peanut butter cups are the same way, people swear by the dark chocolate ones over the milk regardless of chocolate preferences.

This is a great way of explaining how I feel about dark chocolate. I don't care for it by itself, but the Sanders dark chocolate caramels are great. I still like the milk chocolate ones better, but the dark chocolate ones are fantastic.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Also, the best Spindrift is cucumber, but the cowards moved it to only being made "seasonally," whatever that means.

I was about to post this myself. Cucumber Spindrift is by far the best one. I don't by Spindrift much anymore because it's more expensive. Usually I just get Kirkland because it's cheapest and it's okay. But you really notice the lack of flavor in Kirkland when you have something like Spindrift or Waterloo and drink a Kirkland right after. I don't mind the lime Lacroix either, so one in a great while I'll buy the two 15 packs of lime Lacroix from Costco because that's pretty cheap as well.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

topenga posted:

I'm gonna say it: Polar and Waterloo (and I'm in loving Austin so I expect to be hooded and dragged away any second now) are kinda trash.

They taste fine, really. Great flavors. But leave them open for like 5-10 minutes. Goes flat. Super flat. How do you not keep carbonation for 10 minutes? That pisses me off. Yeah, my fault for not shotgunning the can but drat. Sometimes I get distracted with work and forget I have a can open. Topo Chico? That poo poo lasts forever.

Okay. I'm done.

I like the Kirkland seltzers, but they are by far the worst about holding carbonation out of any carbonated drink I've ever had.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

My church has a limit 1 per day per member bourbon stout that I guess sells like hot cakes, 14 percent alv lol. Bought one and am gonna try it tonight.

Also the Kirkland meatballs are drat tasty, gonna make meatball subs this week

Yeah they release that stuff every year on black Friday. I think it was just for black Friday that they had a limit of one because today the limit was 4. I'm not sure if you can get it nationwide or just local-ish, Goose Island is based in Chicago I think but I can get their stuff here in Detroit.

The bourbon stout is really good, I buy it every year (they also make a bourbon ale that I like more but it's hard to find around here). It goes down real smooth for a 14% beer. And if you can hold off on drinking it gets better with age. My Costco was selling it for $10.99 and most liquor stores will be selling it for twice that, so if you're into limited release craft beers check out Costco, they might still have some left.

And as far as the meatballs go, they are indeed very good. My go to thing to bring to a potluck is a crockpot full of the meatballs with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Items ending in .97 are corporate markdowns that the stores themselves don't have any control over. Items ending in .88 or .00 are manager markdowns for items they want to get rid of.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
They built some luxury apartments right next to my Costco recently and I really want to move there. It would be so nice to go out the door, walk like 500 feet and be inside of a Costco. But the rent at that place is more than double what I'm paying now which is insane. I can buy a house and pay less monthly with mortgage/utilities/insurance/etc. than I would if I moved into those stupid apartments right next to Costco.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Executive membership questions

If you upgrade now you'll be charged a prorated amount, I'm guessing for you it'll be somewhere around $20-25 if your renewal date is in June. The 2% from the executive membership is separate from the 2% on the Visa card. The Visa rebate is sent to you with your February statement and the executive rebate is sent to you around 6-8 weeks before your membership expires, so probably mid to late April in your case.

Let's say you upgrade now, the executive 2% back will take effect immediately. When you get your 2% rebate check, don't be disappointed if it's a small amount because you only had a few months to build it up. For an entire year as an executive member you'll need to spend $3000 for the executive part of the membership to pay for itself (and you don't get 2% back on any money spent on gas).

If you don't get the full $60 back from your purchases, Costco will refund you the difference. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think they'll do it and let you keep the executive membership. So if you you only get $40 back and and want the full $60, they'll do it, but they will also downgrade your membership back to the basic one (no one will stop you from immediately upgrading again though if you want to). You also need to go to someone at the membership desk to get it done, they won't just do it for you automatically.

There are also other perks to the executive membership besides the 2%. There's a bunch of services that most people wouldn't even think to go through Costco for, like pet insurance, identity protection, or ordering personal/business checks.

https://www.costco.com/services

Costco barely makes any money on the merchandise they sell, but the membership fees are 100% profit for them. That's why they're so generous with their return policy, they'll do just about anything to keep you from canceling your membership. And if they can get you to pay them more money for your membership, that's icing on the cake for them.

This post ended up being way longer than I thought it would be, so I hope I answered all your questions.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

You don’t need the Executive membership for the pet insurance discount.

I did notice that the way the website advertises their services seem to indicate that you might not need to be an executive member. I was told that you did need to be an executive member for that and other things, but that was years ago so it's entirely possible that they changed it up since then. I should have put in my post that I am not a Costco membership expert.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

beepo posted:

Who could hate this guy

If I had a bottle perfectly fit in the door shelf like that I would take a picture of it too.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

apparently my local costco had a power outage while they were open due to a windstorm going on. the backup generators fired up and the lights all turned back on quickly but apparently it took 3+ more hours for the point of sale terminals to come back up. some people stuck it out, but apparently most people just abandoned their carts where they be. this all happened on a busy sunday, more like a sunday in hell.

I saw this exact thing happen like 10 years ago. It was on a busy Sunday about 45 minutes before they closed. The power outage took the alarms out as well, so they needed employees to guard every emergency exit to make sure no one just walked out the side of the building with a cart full of stuff. The power came back on right after they kicked everyone out, and the employees had at least a couple hundred carts of merchandise to put away.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

binge crotching posted:

You can get your rebate check direct deposited via the Citi phone application now, super easy

The rebate needs to be over a certain amount to be able to do direct deposit. I think it's $300?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I can tell you for certain that like 25% of the time the receipt checkers don't give a poo poo. All they do is look at the receipt, then stare blankly at the cart for like 5 seconds for the appearance of actually checking for mistakes, then mark the receipt as good and move on to the next person.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Polar and la Croix are both better than Kirkland, but the Kirkland is good enough that I usually buy it over the others because it's the best value of the sparkling waters. If I don't get Kirkland then I buy Waterloo, that stuff is really good too.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I thought it was the asterisk only meant they weren't being restocked and the .97 meant they were on clearance?

This is true, but I don't think they ever clearance an item that is going to be restocked. If you see a .97 clearance item it will almost certainly have the asterisk on it as well.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Logistics all around have been messed up for a while and keep getting worse due to a perfect storm of supply issues, lack of employment, and no fucks to give. This seems to be getting more and more common with the companies Costco contracts out to deliver poo poo to people. And Costco isn't doing anything about it because there probably isn't any other option in most areas to go with another delivery company. Unless Costco wants to invest in having their own delivery services I don't see the problem changing anytime soon.

Costco has to deal with the same bullshit from their vendors as well. Maybe one of these days I'll make a long post about how god drat frustrating this poo poo is from the perspective of a Costco employee.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Has anybody ever cut a hot dog into pieces and use it as a topping for their slice of pizza? Seems to me like that's what everyone should be doing rather than sticking the dog into a chicken bake.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

iroc.dis posted:

Made an unplanned stop at my local Church yesterday on the way back from working out of town. Picked up one of the caesar salad mixes, a double pack of mashed potatoes, a rotisserie chicken, and a case of Alani energy drinks since I'm about to finish off a case of Zoa.

I wish my Costco carried the Alani drinks, I would buy the poo poo out of them.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm not sure if it has changed or not, it's been a while since I've asked about it. But capping margin % absolutely was and probably still is a thing. As a rule, Costco would never mark up their merchandise more than 15%. The building I work at had (as of like 5 years ago, not sure about now) and overall average markup of 11-12%. The money they make off of selling stuff is barely enough to pay for the utilities in the building. That's why they're always pushing people to get the executive membership. Memberships fees are 100% profit for them.

A comment in the reddit thread linked above mentioned one thing that I always found interesting. Companies sometimes pay Costco money to feature their items on the end caps. Some of those items aren't very big sellers, and Costco potentially makes more money from the company paying them to put it on the end cap than they do in the amount of sales on the item.

And while we're on the topic of Costco merchandising, has anyone ever thought about the total dollar value in merchandise Costco has inside just one of their stores? Obviously it varies from store to store, but I'm curious what people might guess.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

esperantinc posted:

I doubt they're even chopped in the store.

They are 100% not chopped in store. The chicken bakes are not made in store either but I think that has been discussed in the thread before.

Apparently my Costco is going to start selling a mango smoothie in the food court. I assume it's going to be delicious but overpriced.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For items on sale that say LIMIT: number is it per member overall or per visit? If i bought the max of something and go back a few weeks later (as part of my regularly scheduled shopping) could I buy the max again?

If you ask them they'll say the discount limit is per day on the membership. It's really per transaction though, but they don't want you to know that. If you get the max of something, you can get right back in line and get the max of the same item again. It's definitely fine if you do it on different days. It's like the return policy, they probably aren't going to hassle you about it unless you're clearly abusing the system.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Reporting from the trenches, the berry smoothie is no more. It’s been replaced by the mango smoothie.

I’ll post a trip report later this evening

I just had a berry smoothie for the first and only time a couple of weeks ago. It was decent. If the mango one is as bad as everyone says it is, they'll probably get rid of it before too long and replace it with something else. Maybe they bring the berry one back in that case.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

DamnitGannet posted:

Not at all surprised about that poor guy dying doing carts. We have triple digit temps today and a supervisor offered to buy Gatorade for all the cart pushers but the head manager told him he wasn’t allowed because “they need to get used to the heat.” Same manager told me I was being a crybaby when I mentioned I was disturbed by another coworker telling me about killing dogs and small animals. There are poo poo heads everywhere, even at our favourite business.

My Costco does the opposite of this because they actually care about their employees. If I did carts at your warehouse I would be calling corporate about that shithead manager. At my store we buy cases of water for the cart crew all the time. They have a cooler full of ice outside for the water or anything they bring with them so they don't get dehydrated.

Virigoth posted:

Where the hell are the giant white vinegar jugs?! It’s been months at any Costco in my area having any in stock.

My warehouse got rid of the big jugs and replaced it with a different brand that's a two pack of smaller jugs. I'm not sure why they did it because the big jugs sold very well.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

pencilhands posted:

Mostly, is it a good gig? Why or why not?

It's a great gig for a college dropout like myself who has nothing else to fall back on. Just like any retail place, there's a lot of bullshit that's frustrating to deal with. But the benefits are very good and I'm not going to complain about getting paid $30/hour for what I do.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I can't imagine working in the food court and not being miserable. There's way too much bullshit to deal with, especially considering they get paid the same rate as someone who collect carts outside all day. Employees in the deli get the same pay as cashiers which is like an extra dollar an hour or something. How the hell is that fair?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

DamnitGannet posted:

Also can other employees weigh in on this? We had a brand new hire get a full time position in food court, and he is now moving to forklifts full time before his 90 days are up. He skipped over people who had been on food court for years, and he just skipped over people who have been driving forklifts at Costco for years. As far as I know he doesn’t know anyone here, so what the hell? How is this possible?

It's most likely that that person is very good at rear end kissing and played the game right. But to give you a possible alternative explanation, I have seen situations a few times where someone who has worked at Costco for a long time quits, and then decides to come back a few years later and gets slapped with a new hire date. So even though they technically have only been employed by Costco for a very short time, they could actually have years of experience with the company and are able to use that experience in different areas without much issue.

Hate on the guy all you want for somehow moving up quickly in a way that's unfair to others, but you can be happy knowing that he's probably going from one poo poo show to another. Unless your warehouse happens to be a rare one that has figured out how to deal with the logistical nightmare that is Costco freight. At my warehouse, we have a hard time finding people willing to cross train to drive a forklift because everyone sees how miserable all the forklift drivers are and want nothing to do with that.

Raluek posted:

man what happened to costco being one of the retailers to treat their employees well, drat

I'm pretty sure they still treat their employees better than most retailers. But it is still retail, and the quality of leadership and corporate policies have been slowly declining since the company founder retired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Raluek posted:

oh yeah i forgot about this, maybe it explains the food court going to poo poo during covid as well. what does this mean for "the price of the loving hot dog" going forward, i wonder?

The whole thing about the food court going to poo poo is that the company is trying literally every possible thing they can to get the food court to operate as anything other than a huge loss while still keeping the hot dog at $1.50. Which is why they raise prices on the other items on the menu and keep trying to introduce new items hoping for a success. Jim Sinegal may have stepped down from CEO, but he's still on the board of directors. I'm sure they'll raise the price of the loving hot dog eventually, but Jim will never allow it, and they wouldn't dare trying it while he's still alive. Dude is in his 80s though and can't live forever. I assume the rest of the corporate higher ups are just waiting for Jim to croak so they can finally maximize profits. If you're interested in buying Costco stock, I would bet the price will take a good dip upon the news of Jim's death.